Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

canyoneer posted:

a blank check for up to but not including eating like an adult and not being too fat for the navy

Given the chiefs i've seen, that's a really low bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In addition to normal dumbassery there's a tendency for initial training commands to make it seem what you're doing there is far more important than it actually is. You're there for months to determine if you're maybe trainable and fix a few surmountable issues. But they go and dress it all up in the trappings of "A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE", and it's not. So even doofuses who fail out feel like they did something.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

muh stolen valor

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Flying_Crab posted:

Seems like a dumb app but a mostly overblown fear considering the probably hundreds of other ways everyone is being tracked by apps, social media, etc.

That said, no loving way I’d let the Army have an app with those permissions on my phone, but not out of fear of a foreign intelligence service.

I'm a DOD civilian and we get the same poo poo. They keep trying to have us install a base map app on our personal cell phones and there's no loving way. It's either a security breach that our idiot management are blindly supporting or an attempt to police our personal lives by NCIS. There's no way that someone developed a free, no ads, base map app without a nefarious purpose.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
We got told to install the NFAAS app so we could muster during the last hurricane evacuation, but fortunately it doesn't even work on the OS of my obscure niche phone. You probably haven't heard of it, it's called "Android", made by small indie start-up "Google".

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I got that poo poo a lot when I was in. Install this app, install that app for comms or whatever.

I just said it didn't work for me and always got left alone after that.

Dickheads didnt give me a work phone so they don't get to dictate how o use it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We've got an app that they paid to be created. Same company did it for a bunch of wings and it's pretty much the same across the board. I have it right now just to see if anything important gets posted. I disabled location on it though, not that I have anything to hide.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My reserve unit uses slack to dissiminate such important information as when lunch is and who needs to sign up for next drills lunch. It’s pretty helpful because I like lunch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Similar, but groupme.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Slack would be one thing, but some lovely app that gives them wide open permissions on my phone? Nope.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

not caring here posted:

I got that poo poo a lot when I was in. Install this app, install that app for comms or whatever.

Yeah absolutely this. If you buy me a phone and pay the bills, you get to control what's on it. If I'm paying, you can smdftb

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
We just use FB messenger.

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008
"If WhatsApp is good enough for ISIS it's good enough for you assholes." - My old PLT daddy c. 2014

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

JohnnyHardcore posted:

"If WhatsApp is good enough for ISIS it's good enough for you assholes." - My old PLT daddy c. 2014

Well, back in 2014, WhatsApp was unironically not the worst option out there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I was just at a mobilization seminar where it was suggested we use Whatapps to communicate to our loved ones in a workshop.
Two hours later a chief was throwing fit telling us to never use it.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

LingcodKilla posted:

I was just at a mobilization seminar where it was suggested we use Whatapps to communicate to our loved ones in a workshop.
Two hours later a chief was throwing fit telling us to never use it.

I assume everything is compromised.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

We’re literally still using WhatsApp right now in Iraq lmao

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...nd-camp-wilson/

quote:

In order to make some extra money to pay bills and help her child, a single-mom and Marine reservist said she created an account that sold sexual videos and photos of herself online.

She said she now has to stop the account because a subscriber took the videos and pictures off her page and started distributing it to Marines in Twentynine Palms, California, during an exercise.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I have what's app installed, but have never used it. Current darling is signal app.

brains
May 12, 2004

not caring here posted:

exactly right, if the chain wants to mandate official comms, they need to provide them.

when i was in a multinational task force we used FB messenger because it generally worked on every country's phones, which, without fail, generated eye-rolls and groans from every incoming US replacement, myself included. the running joke was that we were "facebook-secure."

the truth is we assumed every single comm was compromised thoroughly, especially the ones reliant on host-nation cell towers. hell, even the camp (non-DOD) network had a commercially provided internet connection!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

loving lol, what the hell did she expect

What does anyone expect when they put nudes anywhere in the world?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Not to be sexually harassed by fellow marines, probably.

Which sure is dumb because Marines are trash garbage, but victim blaming can gently caress right off

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Sorry, but if you're willingly uploading compromising images of yourself to the internet for money while you're in a uniformed service (active *or* reserve) - needed though that money probably is/was - you're putting up a giant "I'M A POTENTIALLY EAGER/WILLING ASSET PLEASE CONTACT ME FOR MY PRICE" sign.

That's not victim blaming, it's common sense. She signed a contract and conduct unbecoming exists for a reason. She *certainly* doesn't deserve to be harassed or have those images passed around as spank bank material, but she unfortunately does deserve to have all clearances (assuming she had any) rescinded, and be reduced in rank or discharged. The converse should apply as well for dipshit assholes who send dick pics and set themselves up to be potentially honey-trapped. Even if they're in the motor pool and are about as much of a threat to national security as a wet fart in the wind.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

She *certainly* doesn't deserve to be harassed or have those images passed around as spank bank material

Which is what Internet Wizard was saying, I'm pretty sure, in response to PathAsc.

I don't think this crowd will lose much sleep over the career ramifications, but I'd much rather live in a world where people didn't have to resort to borderline prostitution as the easiest way to pay tuition and raise a kid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

She signed a contract and conduct unbecoming exists for a reason.

Maybe we should make it easier for a single mom to survive on her work paycheck without needing to sell nudes and then simultaneously tell her she can't do that.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Internet Wizard posted:

Not to be sexually harassed by fellow marines, probably.

Which sure is dumb because Marines are trash garbage, but victim blaming can gently caress right off

Please point out where I was victim blaming, aside from the fact that the individual literally enabled this to happen by posting pictures to a pay site for money.

My whole point is "don't put your pictures anywhere ever because this is what happens"

The stupid is everyone involved. Every idiot who has ever sent a dick pic is just as goddamn dumb. It's 2019 and no one has learned that there is little to nothing that guarantees privacy. Just like the idiots sharing the ~paid content~ all over the place are dumb for participating in the spread of it.

The world is connected more than ever, and it's not a secret. These things continue to happen, and that doesn't absolve either side from being culpable. I fail to see how making fun of idiots that put sensitive information on the internet and are then surprised that it gets out its suddenly bad. This isn't a case of "someone made a deepfake of me".

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

chitoryu12 posted:

Maybe we should make it easier for a single mom to survive on her work paycheck without needing to sell nudes and then simultaneously tell her she can't do that.

The USA is full of idiots that think that the current inflation rates are fine even though wages are still stuck in the 70's. These idiots vote, always.

There should be no reason to have to resort to working gigs or two+ jobs or selling pics to get by.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PathAsc posted:

Please point out where I was victim blaming, aside from the part where I blamed the victim.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

No really, it’s nice to feel nostalgic for the Marines United days when I had to sit in a bunch of discussion groups where a MSgt calmly explained how it was the women’s fault and definitely not the male marines that can’t be trusted with a picture let alone a rifle.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't think you can charge an enlisted person with conduct unbecoming an officer.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McNally posted:

I don't think you can charge an enlisted person with conduct unbecoming an officer.

Guessing he was going for Article 134, but couldn't think of the words.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Internet Wizard posted:

No really, it’s nice to feel nostalgic for the Marines United days when I had to sit in a bunch of discussion groups where a MSgt calmly explained how it was the women’s fault and definitely not the male marines that can’t be trusted with a picture let alone a rifle.

What does it matter male or female? I said everyone involved was dumb, it's stupid at all levels. This is no less dumb than Pvt elbow dick getting dunked on for sending a picture of his weird fruit salad on snapchat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PathAsc posted:

The stupid is everyone involved. Every idiot who has ever sent a dick pic is just as goddamn dumb.

They are simultaneously more dumb, because they aren’t getting paid for their photos, and less dumb, because men rarely face consequences for dick pics.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

yeah but if you could you could basically half the enlisted payrolls for two months at a time

hell and mandate they do extra work while you're at it

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Platystemon posted:

They are simultaneously more dumb, because they aren’t getting paid for their photos, and less dumb, because men rarely face consequences for dick pics.

I don't know, maybe I'm the outlier because the units I was with definitely did not smile on anyone sending/posting any type of risqué photo to anyone and they made it known up front. We gave indoc briefs about it to all personnel, and it was mentioned at least yearly.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is about nudity, but whatever. As long as the majority of the world considers it sacred ground it'll always have some stigma attached to it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

I have what's app installed, but have never used it. Current darling is signal app.
signal,wire kinda good, telegram v v bad

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CainFortea posted:

Guessing he was going for Article 134, but couldn't think of the words.

:hmmyes:

And it's a loving travesty that DoD can't organize/subsidize child care. They somehow make Tricare work through wizardry.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

UCMJ doesn't apply to reservists not on duty.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Flying_Crab posted:

UCMJ doesn't apply to reservists not on duty.
"Good morning colonel! I know it's not drill, I just thought I'd knock on your door and call you 'fuckface!' on this lovely Saturday morning! Bye!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:hmmyes:

And it's a loving travesty that DoD can't organize/subsidize child care. They somehow make Tricare work through wizardry.

We could make tons of QoL improvements to the entire nation by taking funds from DARPA. It could easily fully fund entire programs and a UBI but lol we need to spend trillions on the 98% of their projects that fail.

Goddammit