Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Materials hack: empty every item (not deliveries) out of the shared locker onto the floor, then recycle all of it. You'll always have plenty of metal if you hit the big hubs and drain that locker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It took me forever to find this out, but you can dodge by holding L2+R2 and pressing X. Just in case anyone else doesn't know

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

emdash posted:

It took me forever to find this out, but you can dodge by holding L2+R2 and pressing X. Just in case anyone else doesn't know

There are a few combat moves that the game never outright tells you but they're in the Tips tab

Meanwhile the game pops up notifications about equipment and systems even for stuff from like 10 hours ago. I would disable tutorials but I'm early in the game and might miss something :\

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Considering the fact that the game blasts you with all your likes for building roads all at once, I'm wondering if the game doesn't update the online functionality in some sort of chunk format. Like, has anyone tried resetting their game/console and seeing if the numbers in the auto-pavers haven't changed? Might be why it seems like no one ever builds roads, the numbers only update under very specific conditions

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It might do that, like I said I only had literally one Like last night, when I played a few hours ago I had thousands from 60 unique players

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus, fully half of my friend list is playing this game right now :stare:

I really expected to not like this game much, I have never been more wrong. Ashamed, words, deeds, etc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i spent my entire evening constructing an entire highway and i regret nothing

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Are you suppose to be able to replenish Hematic grenades with blood bags? I’ve run out of grenades in a fight and had a blood bag equipped and nothing happens.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh, another theory: has anyone actually ever used their co-op requests? I've never even seen someone send a request in my like 20 hours of play time, so maybe it doesn't send a literal "hey please put materials here" request, it just grabs materials from the network and dumps them in. Because otherwise, they could only be sent to people who haven't built their road yet either.

Rad Valtar posted:

Are you suppose to be able to replenish Hematic grenades with blood bags? I’ve run out of grenades in a fight and had a blood bag equipped and nothing happens.

Blood bags only restore your blood which powers the grenades, they don't make more of the grenades. So if you go into a fight with 5 grenades, you only have those five no matter how many bloodbags you brought

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Rad Valtar posted:

No, Hematic grenades take some of your blood each time you throw them, but they are limited items that come 5 to a pack. The blood bags just mean that you can throw them without negatively impacting your health bar.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm sure there's some bullshit behind the scenes that's at least partly responsible, but I wouldn't be surprised it a lot of it was just people advancing beyond the point where it's worth working on the roads for Sam orders. definitely when I was working in the mountains, roads were the last thing on my mind. I only went back today and sunk a bunch into roads to work some older premium orders

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh, another theory: has anyone actually ever used their co-op requests? I've never even seen someone send a request in my like 20 hours of play time, so maybe it doesn't send a literal "hey please put materials here" request, it just grabs materials from the network and dumps them in. Because otherwise, they could only be sent to people who haven't built their road yet either.

Blood bags only restore your blood which powers the grenades, they don't make more of the grenades. So if you go into a fight with 5 grenades, you only have those five no matter how many bloodbags you brought

Ok that makes sense, I probably just misunderstood what it was saying.

Also do I have to just keep making more blood bags or do they restore when I rest?

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 13, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I haven't used them cause they seem pointless, but I've definitely filled a few other peoples'

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Other people built almost every road in chapter three without my input at all. I built all the roads to South Knot and the other west DC. I figure this weekend all the roads will fill out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One thing I've found is that you really have to ignore a lot of Video Game Habits. Like it took me over 10 hours for it to really sink in that unless an order has a literal time limit, you have infinite time to do them. And that you can head out to explore WITHOUT taking an order. And since saving/loading is incredibly fast you should experiment and try all kinds of weird poo poo.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

homeless snail posted:

I haven't used them cause they seem pointless, but I've definitely filled a few other peoples'

Sorry, I meant specifically in regards to roads and auto-pavers. The reason pavers are different is because the interface changes once they've been built, so if you requested someone to fill your unfinished road, that wouldn't make sense from a UI perspective for someone who doesn't see those initial requirements anymore and is now contributing to the road maintenance instead.

Thinking about it though, I wonder if roads are the only item that can be finished or unfinished across different instances. If someone upgrades a bridge, how long does it take for that upgrade to get sent out across other people's games? It probably works the same way as roads, thinking about it, but is just way less noticeable since roads are a huge landmark and it's hard to corroborate info about CaptainDong's power generator in a vague location

precision posted:

One thing I've found is that you really have to ignore a lot of Video Game Habits. Like it took me over 10 hours for it to really sink in that unless an order has a literal time limit, you have infinite time to do them.

One of the only weird video-gamey things I don't like about the game is how inconsistent the amount of friendship you gain with a town/outpost/prepper in contrast with how many likes you get from them, in that there doesn't seem to be any correlation whatsoever. It seems like there's these really general missions you can do over and over that will infinitely repeat for very little gain, even with Premium tasks. Then, there's other side missions that will get you like a whole star. I wouldn't mind this so much if I wanted to farm Likes anyways, but I don't actually know what Likes...do. Or if they even do anything.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 13, 2019

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

And that you can head out to explore WITHOUT taking an order.

You disappoint Die Hardman.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Die Hardman Will Remember This

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I can now Zipline nearly the entire map from the mountain to South Knot to the elder, and yes, it was worth it

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Zip lines are nice and all. But there’s nothing like loading up your hot pink van with 600kg worth of orders and hitting up a bunch of folk so they can get their underwear and PlayStations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How much do you guys fast travel? I've only used it once. Just seems like more of a hassle and less fun than just traversing the map. The amount of stuff I've found out in the wild has made it worth it I think. It's also probably why I'm in early chapter 5 with a play time that is close to what some people have reported as being the whole game lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nothing like driving for miles to build a road in pissing rain and slipping on a slope making Sam go gently caress before you pull it together and load up that terminal. Another day another like, my friend.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Finally figured it out: for some reason you can ONLY make Strand Contracts in your room, the option isn't available on the menu when you're out and about for KOJIMA REASONS I GUESS

Actually I have a theory now. Sleeping in your room is when the game updates your Likes and stuff.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

How much do you guys fast travel? I've only used it once. Just seems like more of a hassle and less fun than just traversing the map. The amount of stuff I've found out in the wild has made it worth it I think. It's also probably why I'm in early chapter 5 with a play time that is close to what some people have reported as being the whole game lol.

I did it once then said gently caress that cause you have to remake all your gear.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think it's too much of a hassle because you basically have infinite resources so your inventory not coming along isn't that big a deal. I would rather make a delivery to wherever I want to go than fast travel though so I don't use it much

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've got a private locker full of equipment at every DC and City because I am a diligent employee.

Even so I don't fast travel because there's always boxes to drop off on the way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fast Travel feels like cheating :colbert:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

So what chapter is it when Sam earns his Kojima eye patch?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Man. The end of Chapter 2/beginning of Chapter 3 is, in fact, something you absolutely should power through for. Goddamn Kojima. I thought I was out and you pulled me back in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The funniest thing about fast travel to me is that by the time you drive/walk to a fast travel point, wait for the room to load, watch or skip the multiple cutscenes, wait for the game to load the new area, watch/skip the next group of cutscenes, rebuild all of your gear, equip it and head out, you'd probably be rolling up on your destination anyways more often than not.

Also not using fast travel has made me feel really familiar with the map in this way that feels thematically appropriate. Like, I actually know the best routes and most of the landmarks, but I usually come across something interesting and go check it out just for fun.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

precision posted:

Actually I have a theory now. Sleeping in your room is when the game updates your Likes and stuff.

Yeah I have never seen likes appear on any of my structures when I’m running around, now matter how long I leave and come back. Resting in a room and returning to the structure will show likes if there are any.

Are the (chapter 2 spoilers) EX grenades useful once you get the blood grenades? They are so tedious to make.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even after the gameplay reveals I was convinced this game would be kinda bad but it's so much better than MGS that I can only conclude that Konami was loving up his games and holding him back.

I can sort of understand why some critics talk about it not being "fun", even the ones that like it. It's a game that I have to be in the mood for. It doesn't just constantly push the dopamine button in the way that, say, The Outer Worlds did. If I "had" to play it and finish it in a week or whatever I might like it a lot less too.

That said I was having legitimate fun from jump street. Turns out a literal walking simulator can be incredibly engaging.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pulcinella posted:

Are the (chapter 2 spoilers) EX grenades useful once you get the blood grenades? They are so tedious to make.

I've never used one. The latter are so easy to make and equip I've never felt the need. Maybe there's some reason to use them I'm not aware of though? They just seem pointless.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

just found some poo poo that can build actual roads in chapter 3 are these player placed or just dotted throughout the world?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Poonades do mondo damage.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

IDONTPOST posted:

just found some poo poo that can build actual roads in chapter 3 are these player placed or just dotted throughout the world?

They're mandated by the game. Build them though.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

just beat the game, took about 60 hours, I didn't rush through it but I didn't max every outpost/build every road either. core gameplay was very solid and innovative in what it chooses to focus on, the multiplayer stuff was neat as well. the story is all over the place but some specific plot threads resolved in a satisfying way for me. this said some of the writing is shockingly bad, and not in a quirky Kojima way. really enjoyed it overall though, hopefully it's successful and kojipro gets to make more games.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Game is definitely successful and there will be more Kojima Productions. Which owns. I'm excited for this as a franchise or something else new. I miss MGS but unchained Kojima with budgets and freedom owns

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What do the different EX grenades do? I tried them on a bt and from what I can tell they don't kill off the non-aggro floating ones like hematic grenades do. One of them (#2?) made one BT-boss-monster run away for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh poo poo, just figured this out

You can bring up the compass while you're moving, and if you're sprinting it won't make you stop sprinting even (at least, it won't if you've got the legs on).

Wow that's gonna be a big time saver