Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This is the story Mookie waited 6 years to tell us. This.

Well I guess there's Star Power but I refuse to believe anyone actually cares about that

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Tesseraction posted:

It is enjoyable watching the dogshit protagonist get owned but I'm still confused by why he attempted to contact a tree (noted eye havers) by using a visual medium from a long distance away.

Presumably the person who taught the tree to read wrote about it in his book, after he put up all the warning signs after their acrimonious breakup.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Since we literally just saw the tree can read Snout’s loving dead in the air.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

okay but like why is he supermanning

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In order to not entirely reply in caps, WHY THE gently caress CAN THIS TACTIC WORK IF IT COULD BLINDLY SPIKE HIS SIGN FROM THIRTY METRES?!

This is offensively dumb. This is intellectual warfare. Mookie is criming us.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Mors Rattus posted:

okay but like why is he supermanning

The sense of motion in panel 5 is so bad. We can clearly see where Snout took off from and he’s barely a foot away yet somehow his body is perfectly straight like he came from off panel. There’s a bunch of other issues with that panel, how it relates to the panel before it and just how Mookie conveys motion in general but this is already too many words about one panel.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

In order to not entirely reply in caps, WHY THE gently caress CAN THIS TACTIC WORK IF IT COULD BLINDLY SPIKE HIS SIGN FROM THIRTY METRES?!

It's Mookie's typical writing a narrative without any planning. You should not be surprised. In typical Mookie fashion, he did a good joke without thinking about the narrative.
So, back to the narrative, and Snout does something suicidal since we just established this tree can, see, read, and form flexible hands with it's branches.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That and Mookie's idea of Snout finding a clever solution to a problem is discovering a superpower to overcome it two pages after introducing the threat

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Is there anyone reading this anymore who isn't doing so to make fun of it? I think he knows and is just giving people what they want imo

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Judging from a quick twitter search, the overall attitude seems to be either mockery or befuddlement. I don’t think he’s making this for anyone but himself, the guy’s just got so much love for Dominic Deegan.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

How can the page read his mind (for instance, knowing Snout's name and the fact that he's looking for pages) but need Snout to draw out his plan for beating the tree.

I mean...we all know the answer to that question I suppose.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'm not clear on how getting to the skori tree protects him from it's murderous branches

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TheHan posted:

Judging from a quick twitter search, the overall attitude seems to be either mockery or befuddlement. I don’t think he’s making this for anyone but himself, the guy’s just got so much love for Dominic Deegan.

One of the minor things I respect him for. He has his fun, we have ours, and for the most part it stays seperate.

I know I certainly couldn’t produce a comic and not be swayed by how people react to it...for years.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He created him for his rpg group, ruined it with his love for the character, then decided to take him out into the world. We still suffer.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Crimpolioni posted:

Is there anyone reading this anymore who isn't doing so to make fun of it? I think he knows and is just giving people what they want imo

I seem to recall "we are the Dominic Deegan fans" being something of a motto in the old threads.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Smart enough to read, dumb enough to stab at itself several times.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Emrikol posted:

I seem to recall "we are the Dominic Deegan fans" being something of a motto in the old threads.

They who seek to mock Deegans... become the only one still paying attention probably.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Yep. Tree killed itself. About right.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheHan posted:

Accurate enough to hit a sign at 50 metres, clumsy enough to not stop its stab short of its own body.

It's the opposite of horror movie logic where the protagonists make stupid decision after stupid decision that leads to their demise, where in this case the protagonist is also stupid and making stupid decisions that should lead to their demise, but the antagonists are stupider and make stupider decisions.

A stupidity arms race.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ahh, a grand, epic adventure where each landmark appears to be a short walk from the protagonist's home, and a narrative with the greatest stakes of all, worthy of risking your life - learning what happened to a guy he never heard of before. Truly, this tale is worthy of the name Dominic Deegan.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

TheHan posted:

I thought the branch was bursting out of the tree there instead of the tree stabbing itself.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Drunk Theory posted:

Yep. Tree killed itself. About right.

Nah, this is going to end with the tree giving him a thumbs-up, because Snout bandaging the tree to keep it from dying from its self-inflicted wound with the bandages he clearly doesn't have is an even more bizarre outcome.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

maltesh posted:

Nah, this is going to end with the tree giving him a thumbs-up, because Snout bandaging the tree to keep it from dying from its self-inflicted wound with the bandages he clearly doesn't have is an even more bizarre outcome.

What if the tree throws horns and then tries to portray rocking out via a soundless medium?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Close call! Our protagonist almost had to do something besides run away!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
So the tree is neutralized.....somehow. Good job doing nothing Snout.

I’d also like to bring up that a few pages ago the tree used its limbs/roots to grab him, so this self stabbing is really unnecessary. Not that it matters, just mentioning.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 13, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Can it not extract it's own roots from it's body?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Of course not, that would make it dangerous.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Is this the most obvious example yet of his "no planning" strategy painting him into an extremely stupid corner?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

2 pages. It took 2 pages for Snout to utterly destroy the tree. And all he did was climb on it.

Why is Mookie so terrified of having a direct threat to a protagonist take more than that? Does he just get bored of his action scenes really quick? Does he just not want anyone to think about how little effort and creativity went into the protagonist's solution to the issue? Snout literally had the first step of a plan: get on the tree by flying. All the rest was pure, dumb luck.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Rotten Red Rod posted:

2 pages. It took 2 pages for Snout to utterly destroy the tree. And all he did was climb on it.

Why is Mookie so terrified of having a direct threat to a protagonist take more than that? Does he just get bored of his action scenes really quick? Does he just not want anyone to think about how little effort and creativity went into the protagonist's solution to the issue? Snout literally had the first step of a plan: get on the tree by flying. All the rest was pure, dumb luck.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but...

I think the joke might be that Snout bumbles through everything with blind luck like the archetypal Fool. I don't think it's written very well and probably the only one fully enjoying it is Mookie, but the concept itself can be executed well. Maybe the mistake is looking at it like Mookie is actually trying to build serious suspense, when it's actually an intentional farce.

The weirdly written and sized notes about Dominic Deegan, however, are extremely open for mocking.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That would be easier to believe if this wasn't how things have always been in Dominic Deegan.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PetraCore posted:

I think the joke might be that Snout bumbles through everything with blind luck like the archetypal Fool.

That's what he did with the shapeless monster earlier, but here Snout approached a foe knowingly, tried a first plan that didn't work, then a second plan that did. So that was bumbling by through blind luck, it was bumbling through a plan through sheer enemy incompetence.

In doing that, he committed two narrative sins, the first being the narrative repetition to both show a plan and then show it being pulled off as planned, the other is in the plot hole of that plan being completely loving stupid.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Well in OG DD Mookie had a huge cast of characters and nearly all of them knew magic. Anytime he wrote himself into a corner he’d have Celesto or something show up, or just make new magic rules that make the heroes win. Snout knows nobody and has no special skills, so solutions float up to his front door and monsters kill themselves on a regular basis. If Snout had more character than “Likes to read” and “Sleeps on dirt with no blankets and balls out” I could buy the idea of him being a bumbling doofus being intentional.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PetraCore posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but...

I think the joke might be that Snout bumbles through everything with blind luck like the archetypal Fool. I don't think it's written very well and probably the only one fully enjoying it is Mookie, but the concept itself can be executed well. Maybe the mistake is looking at it like Mookie is actually trying to build serious suspense, when it's actually an intentional farce.

The weirdly written and sized notes about Dominic Deegan, however, are extremely open for mocking.

Hmm, could be. If that's what Snout is supposed to be, it's obviously not communicated very well.

Still, his motivation for doing ANY of this is really thin. There's the Ink Witch, but he doesn't appear to care or have any leads about her, if she was kidnapped, if she's doing this for a good reason, etc. So absent that, he saw the name Dominic Deegan, and that's important for... Some reason. Enough to risk his life and comfort to uncover.

To accomplish... What? I'm sure there will be some big reveal about why it's important, but we don't know it and Snout doesn't know it, so... :shrug:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Why is Mookie so terrified of having a direct threat to a protagonist take more than that? Does he just get bored of his action scenes really quick?

It's this. He's always thinking of "better" things for the protagonist to be doing, but he has no patience, so every situation is always resolved as quickly as possible so that he can get to the next idea that popped into his head as quickly as possible.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Snout's not a bumbling fool though. He's not surviving by panic and blind luck, he's just a kick-rear end acrobat when the plot requires it. In his first meeting with the Skori tree, he avoids the spines by what look a like a 6 foot vertical leap. Even with the worm thing, he pulled some wirefu level poo poo. He didn't even have a scratch or tear on his clothes.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 13, 2019

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's closer to Baby's Day Out than Mr. Bean.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

It kinda sounds like Dominic Deegan was lost in the Seer Force.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

WE THOUGHT HE WAS TRYING TO SEE THE FUTURE, BUT HE REALLY SAW THE

Next page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

so it's a big scroll that someone just cut up arbitrarily? Otherwise all those pages are way different sizes and are single sided

and all that effort for lovely glue