Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Myrmysteries!!!

I cannot stop saying that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sea Hawk is too when you get down to it, he's just kinda outclassed given he doesn't have any special powers or weapons like nearly every other named character of note, and his unique skill is 'can competently operate a boat'. (And set it on fire)

Also funny that they swapped the usual 'girls' night out' episode for a boys night out. (Though I think the same thing happens in most female-dominated shows at some point) And in this show, one of the boys is a pegasus unicorn.

Seahawk’s superpower is being the most extra man alive.

When you realize just how extra Mermista is suddenly it all makes sense.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Holy poo poo, I only ever saw the 2002 series. I never knew Cringer talked.

Anyway, on topic, I loved this season so much. It's really crazy how much this show has grown. I actually went and rewatched some old episodes. Catra and Glimmer are so different back then. It's crazy the journey they have gone on over the course of the series. I legit feel pretty loving bad for Hordak. Did not expect that at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It seems reductive but I keep thinking of Mermista as 'Daria but a superpowered mermaid'.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Got to say, rewatching season 1 and you kind of see hints at how Glimmer will turn out. She always had more of an edge to her. Protective. Defensive. Angry. Reliant on a close best friend for emotional support and guidance. It's funny how I didn't notice the parallels sooner.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It seems reductive but I keep thinking of Mermista as 'Daria but a superpowered mermaid'.

Oh look, more Ice Cream, because I'm the princess of Ice Cream now.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
That was some compelling goddamn television. :stare: One of the writers on this show has to have first hand experience with emotional abuse from a parent. Watching Catra's entire slow motion breakdown felt like someone walking over my grave.

Covok posted:

Anyway, on topic, I loved this season so much. It's really crazy how much this show has grown. I actually went and rewatched some old episodes. Catra and Glimmer are so different back then. It's crazy the journey they have gone on over the course of the series. I legit feel pretty loving bad for Hordak. Did not expect that at all.

The writers' ability to write redemption arcs for even the farthest gone of characters is pretty incredible. Hordak legit cared for Entrapta, Catra has been utterly broken and is (probably?) playing both sides now to keep Glimmer's stupid rear end alive, and even Shadow Weaver's moment of "whoops pulled the pin out of the wrong grenade" before Glimmer took off with Scorpia has me somewhat sympathetic.

I think the only real true irredeemable son of a bitch in this series is Horde Prime. Although maybe I'm wrong and deep down he just wants to be friends with friends :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I spent five minutes trying to find a gif of Catra eye-twitching so I could turn it into a "crack ping" meme but I didn't find anything and then I got bored and wandered off :effort:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's just Vella Lovell. She's wonderful in everything she does. Her brand is turbocharged awesome Daria.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

She's a strange mixture of Daria and her sister Quinn.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The only character I feel like we missed out on development wise is Frosta, she went from being a kind of uptight but reasonable queen of her own domain who had trust issues with the princess brigade, to becoming an over-eager immature brat for team good guys.

It just feels like there is an episode missing there.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't think it was a missing episode, it's just that we first saw her when she was in charge or Princess Prom, which is a big job, and she had to be the Serious Princess In Charge. After that, we saw her when she didn't have to be the Serious Princess In Charge, so she could be herself.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Not sure about the timeline, but I also feel that Game of Thrones made a cool badass young kid seem cool to being . . . the last season of Game of Thrones. So retooling the character makes sense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I keep saying she basically turned into Ice Toph. Which is cool and all (ha ha) but still a bit of a shift. Though we do get some hints of her original characterisation in the Mermystery episode I think, where she's strict under pressure but when with the princesses is able to relax because she's among peers rather than expected to be the responsible one.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Nobody’s mourning the real victim of Light Hope’s scheme.

:rip: hair poof :smith:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MechaCrash posted:

I don't think it was a missing episode, it's just that we first saw her when she was in charge or Princess Prom, which is a big job, and she had to be the Serious Princess In Charge. After that, we saw her when she didn't have to be the Serious Princess In Charge, so she could be herself.

Yea I agree. We've seen frosta at work, and now excited frosta.
We did get that episode about her being too much as well.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Taear posted:

Yea I agree. We've seen frosta at work, and now excited frosta.
We did get that episode about her being too much as well.

Frosta and Perfuma are such thin characters compared to the rest of the cast. Mermista has gotten a lot of development (especially this season), but Frosta and Perfuma have only gotten your typical "potted moral" episodes, one each, where they're struggling with something mundane and then at the end they solve the problem. They don't get to deal with anything that has stakes or consequences for their characters. The rest of the cast all have at least one dramatic conflict to grapple with!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Perfuma has been fairly consistent and her dealing with cacti in the desert was cute and sort of developing. And educational.

Also it made her look like a badass for a solid spell.

I guess I just wanted a bit more to develop her into a freedom fighter. At the same time, I think she's gotten more development than her 80's equivalent.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Android Blues posted:

Frosta and Perfuma are such thin characters compared to the rest of the cast. Mermista has gotten a lot of development (especially this season), but Frosta and Perfuma have only gotten your typical "potted moral" episodes, one each, where they're struggling with something mundane and then at the end they solve the problem. They don't get to deal with anything that has stakes or consequences for their characters. The rest of the cast all have at least one dramatic conflict to grapple with!

I don't think we've seen either character's homeland since their introduction episodes either, where the story has dropped back to Selenia occasionally and thus given Mermista some kind of personal stake in what's going on.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Seahawk is really competent combat wise, has super human strength (that only fails for comedic purposes) and gag character levels of durability. Never forget how far he threw Kyle.

Kyle is especially throwable though.

Hopefully in the next season he can kiss Bow.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Bow was kind of a dick to him the one time they interacted in the Fright Zone prison, so hopefully Kyle hooks up with Rohelio.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kyle and Lizard Boy OTP.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

KylexKyle

Found it interesting that Huntara is actually supportive of Perfuma from the start rather than deriding her skills; implicitly she trusts Adora and Bow's judgement enough to presume someone they brought along to the Crimson Waste was dangerous enough to be worth the hassle. (Kind of a theme perhaps given she's pointed out to have stopped expecting betrayal at the drop of a hat) Perfuma's actually a rock solid ally; nice and non-confrontational but entirely willing to gently caress poo poo up the moment you really need her to.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Elfface posted:

Kyle is especially throwable though.

history’s greatest monster

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

KylexKyle

Found it interesting that Huntara is actually supportive of Perfuma from the start rather than deriding her skills; implicitly she trusts Adora and Bow's judgement enough to presume someone they brought along to the Crimson Waste was dangerous enough to be worth the hassle. (Kind of a theme perhaps given she's pointed out to have stopped expecting betrayal at the drop of a hat) Perfuma's actually a rock solid ally; nice and non-confrontational but entirely willing to gently caress poo poo up the moment you really need her to.

She's basically "nice Poison Ivy" and Poison Ivy can uproot and throw buildings around, so yeah.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

She's basically "nice Poison Ivy" and Poison Ivy can uproot and throw buildings around, so yeah.

Well, depends wildly on the incarnation. Probably just as well Perfuma's too nice to really weaponise plants beyond brute force.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kyle gets hit with some magical toxic waste and becomes Mantenna.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Madurai posted:

Kyle gets hit with some magical toxic waste and becomes Mantenna.

What did Kyle ever do to you for you to imagine such a cruel fate?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember Mantenna because his powers actually did something. Hordak was much better off than Skeletor when it came to henchmen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember Mantenna because his powers actually did something. Hordak was much better off than Skeletor when it came to henchmen.

Yeah, Skeletor's only competent hench wasn't even a hench, it was Evil-Lyn, who was arguably more competent than he was, but it was the 80s and we already had The Baroness in G.I.Joe cornering the competent chick villain market.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
GI Joe had the opposite problem where the above-henchmen-level people were competent and the guy at the very top was a total moron.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

GI Joe had the opposite problem where the above-henchmen-level people were competent and the guy at the very top was a total moron.

That's not a bad idea for a cartoon premise, since it means the bad guys' level of effectiveness can vary wildly depending on whether they have a decent plan or coordination this time around. 80s TMNT has a similar thing, except the bad guys have a huge powerful alien superweapon/mobile base that barely works and they have no idea how to properly use or repair, so their threat level depends on what they've managed to get it to do this episode. (and it plays nicely into Turtles Forever)

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

this is every show now tho (and every show since the internet)

Covok
May 27, 2013

SHVPS4DETH posted:

this is every show now tho (and every show since the internet)

Still funny, tho. Especially if you remember how he said it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

"The Evil Horde", but no one actually calls them that :thunk:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Prime keeps trying to call it The Good Horde and has no idea why even his clones thinks it's stupid

e: then he makes out with Swiftwind, per the latest posts

Covok
May 27, 2013

On She-Ra's redemption arcs: https://www.themarysue.com/she-ra-and-the-princesses-of-power-perfectly-explores-how-villains-get-made-and-unmade/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm not sure what's going on with Swiftwind but he steals every scene he's in.