Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
It won't be too long before that crack in Iron Man about the soldiers not putting their selfies with Tony up on MySpace doesn't make sense to a lot of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inokichi
Nov 3, 2005

Scudworth posted:

what sms tone?

The SMS tone that went beep beep beep beeeeep beeeeep beeeeep beep beep beep. It used to be on Nokia mobile phones - I'm probably showing my age here

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
????

Are you talking about GSM buzz?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
The SMS is coming from inside the house!

He's referring to the notification sound for text messages that were mfr specific: Nokia's default was a morse code of beeps.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, makes sense. I had nokia phones but never got any texts (legitimately, it was rare). Missed out on that aspect.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

inokichi posted:

The SMS tone that went beep beep beep beeeeep beeeeep beeeeep beep beep beep. It used to be on Nokia mobile phones - I'm probably showing my age here

Thats the SOS beeps, sms only has two long beeps.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

I saw WarGames as a kid and was confused by a scene where Matthew Broderick does a little payphone hack to make a call for free

https://youtu.be/zkMX4s6ZstQ

I had to ask my dad at the time because I had never heard of this trick but apparently it likely wouldn't have worked at the time the movie was made either.

Theres of course the added layer now that today payphones basically don't exist.

A lot of old phone/phreaking tropes persisted well past their actual lifespans. Keeping someone on the line while tracing a call is another one. If any part of the phone system was still analog, tracing took a long time because someone would have to physically take a piece of equipment into the switch center and physically check the circuits to figure out how things were connected. However, this plot device persisted long after the phone networks were almost all digital and they would just have to check the logs to know where a call came from.

A notorious case in the 80s where hackers in Germany were attacking national laboratories in the US took quite a while to solve because, while the origin of the calls was fairly easily traced to a general location in Hanover, the exchange they were calling from was still using old rotary equipment and they had to keep the hackers on the phone long enough for someone to call the exchange facility and have a tech manually trace the connection.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Going back a bit further, floral symbolism has been used in poetry, writing and painting for hundreds of years, peaking in the 19th century. "The language of flowers" was symbolic shorthand for emotional subtext, metatexual commentary and even sexual innuendo. Most educated people in the 19th and early 20th century would know these references. Some of this still persists in practice, such as having white lilies at a wedding, although not many know it symbolizes the virginity of the bride. There was even a reference to floral symbolism in the Harry Potter books.

quote:

The significance assigned to specific flowers in Western culture varied — nearly every flower had multiple associations, listed in the hundreds of floral dictionaries — but a consensus of meaning for common blooms has emerged. Often, definitions derive from the appearance or behavior of the plant itself. For example, the mimosa, or sensitive plant, represents chastity. This is because the leaves of the mimosa close at night, or when touched. Likewise, the deep red rose and its thorns have been used to symbolize both the blood of Christ and the intensity of romantic love, while the rose's five petals are thought to illustrate the five crucifixion wounds of Christ. Pink roses imply a lesser affection, white roses suggest virtue and chastity, and yellow roses stand for friendship or devotion. The black rose (actually a very dark shade of red, purple, or maroon) has a long association with death and dark magic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_of_flowers

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

Possibly the only youtube comment that isn't utterly worthless:

I learned about this from Abbie Hoffman’s Steal This Book.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I think a lot of cash money references are going to be lost on people in the future.

My son got a cash register toy as a gift and thought the notes were packaging rubbish. He's never known anything other than electronic payments.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pocket Billiards posted:

I think a lot of cash money references are going to be lost on people in the future.

My son got a cash register toy as a gift and thought the notes were packaging rubbish. He's never known anything other than electronic payments.
Was he using credit cards as a kid? Seems unlikely to not know cash money at all, man

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How old are you when you really have a need for cash money? My 14 year old has just started to see cash as something she should hoard, but even then it's for stuff like concessions or 2nd hand vapes. I can totally see today's youth not really seeing paper currency as money until their tweens. And by that time we'll be using even fewer physical bills.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Any media that touches on homosexuality made before 2008 is going to be incredibly strange to people growing up now. Like Hitchcock using implied homosexuality to highlight a characters evil nature is either going to go over their heads or not make sense.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I'm not so sure about that. Veemo and similar services in the US have much less coverage than WeChat Cash in China, so you still need cash or credit at a normal convenience store. Double digit percentages of millennials and gen Z do not have credit cards. I suspect digital transfer apps will eventually become dominate, but it's going to take far longer in the US than in China.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Any media that touches on homosexuality made before 2008 is going to be incredibly strange to people growing up now. Like Hitchcock using implied homosexuality to highlight a characters evil nature is either going to go over their heads or not make sense.

I had a video production teacher that would show us lots of films made pre 1970s. One thing I remember is all of the subtle clues films would use to indicate that characters were gay because they couldn't outright say so and he tried to explain to us what audiences then would take from those inferences.

Another point from the same teacher was about how as audiences became more familiar with the language of film they were able to make larger assumptions. In older movies if a character was traveling they would show them drive up to an air strip, get out of a car and into an air plane, see the plane flying, plane lands, gets out in Paris, enter a cab. In a modern movie there might be a three second cut of a plane flying or more than likely nothing at all.

Indiana Jones of course has the map overlayed with a plane flying which was unnecessary for the audience when it came out but was included as an homage to the serial adventures it was inspired by.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You know in old cartoons characters are getting hit by falling anvils? It turns out that that was actually a thing. From Has anyone ever been killed by a falling piano or anvil?:

quote:

Finally, anvils. It’s difficult to imagine why one would ever need to hoist an anvil high enough for it to drop on someone. However, we can’t rule falling anvils out entirely, due to a little-known pastime called anvil shooting, an exemplar of the hold-my-beer-and-watch-this school of redneck diversions.

The concept, which can be seen in practice in numerous online videos, is lethally simple: You put an anvil on the ground, fill a concave space on its upper surface with black powder, insert a fuse, set a second anvil on top, light the fuse, and run like hell. The detonation sends the top anvil flying in the air — preferably straight up and then straight down, but you can see where things could go tragically awry. We didn’t find any instances of this actually occurring, but thanks to the Road Runner we have an artist’s impression of what might happen when it does.
So it wasn't just absurd humor at the time.

Cascadia Pirate posted:

I had a video production teacher that would show us lots of films made pre 1970s. One thing I remember is all of the subtle clues films would use to indicate that characters were gay because they couldn't outright say so and he tried to explain to us what audiences then would take from those inferences.

The Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz was pretty much all the popular gay stereotypes of the time. It would've been obvious to large parts of the audience then but it is largely lost now.

Large parts of the dialogue from Airplane! were lifted wholesale from an earlier, much more serious movie called Zero Hour!.

echopapa posted:

American railroads in the late 19th and early 20th centuries often allowed fruit vendors to sell their merchandise on the trains. Con artists soon perfected a scheme where one would buy a banana, eat it, leave the peel on the train’s floor, then wait for their confederate to slip on it and sue the railroad for injuries. Vaudeville comedians took the hint and started using banana peels as objects to slip on.

I don't think this is quite right. When New Yorkers Were Menaced by Banana Peels describes one person with a history of fraudulent claims of slipping on banana peels, but it was actually a pretty serious issue in NYC at the time and had been for a while.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You couldn't get hotdogs without fingers in early 20th century America. Was there really that much money to made on insurance claims?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Was he using credit cards as a kid? Seems unlikely to not know cash money at all, man

He's too young to shop by himself and only ever seen us use contactless paypass/paywave with debit cards to pay for things.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Pocket Billiards posted:

He's too young to shop by himself and only ever seen us use contactless paypass/paywave with debit cards to pay for things.

Yeah I think in a lot of countries this is the norm. I only really get cash out if I'm going to a craft market or something. I'm kind of curious about how kids' pocket money is going to work in about 10 years or so.

Griz
May 21, 2001

slinkimalinki posted:

I only really get cash out if I'm going to a craft market or something. I'm kind of curious about how kids' pocket money is going to work in about 10 years or so.

probably still the same? kids aren't going to have their own cards or smartphone with NFC and it's not like it's a huge ordeal to get cash since every nearly every store that takes cards lets you get cash back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You can already get your kid a special debit card that you're able to load value onto.

I know the US is behind the rest of the world on cashless transactions, but the framework is just about complete to have a wholesale conversion. You just need all the old POS terminal holdouts to break/get upgraded to NFC. If you're in elementary school now it's going to look completely different by the time you graduate high school.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

slinkimalinki posted:

I'm kind of curious about how kids' pocket money is going to work in about 10 years or so.
App-based distribution of Fortnite V-Bucks based on completion of chores, and they have to compete with siblings to grab the jobs first.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Somebody leaving their job and taking their Rolodex with them.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Krispy Wafer posted:

You can already get your kid a special debit card that you're able to load value onto.

I know the US is behind the rest of the world on cashless transactions, but the framework is just about complete to have a wholesale conversion. You just need all the old POS terminal holdouts to break/get upgraded to NFC. If you're in elementary school now it's going to look completely different by the time you graduate high school.

There were some shops in Philly and New York that tried to go completely cashless and it got banned by the city council because it discriminated against homeless and people who don't have banks.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Krispy Wafer posted:

Counterpoint:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...N7SOUGjV9uyIU2l

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I had a debit card as a teenager 15 years ago, and it wasn't particularly unusual. I'm guessing this varies by region.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Krispy Wafer posted:

I know the US is behind the rest of the world on cashless transactions,

?

I maybe use cash once or twice per year. I don't have any cash in my wallet.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

App-based distribution of Fortnite V-Bucks based on completion of chores, and they have to compete with siblings to grab the jobs first.

Yeah, I think it's this.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

My Lovely Horse posted:

http://www.chorewars.com/help.php

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Cessna posted:

?

I maybe use cash once or twice per year. I don't have any cash in my wallet.

I am sorry to tell you you're not an entire country

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Scudworth posted:

I am sorry to tell you you're not an entire country

I understand that there are parts of New Jersey that still conduct transactions using shiny rocks and seashells.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I don't think we'll ever have people confused by the concept of money in media for a very long time.

I do think that checks are going to cause some missed concepts- e.g, bouncing checks or waiting for them to clear.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Floating checks is going to be really confusing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

ultrafilter posted:

You know in old cartoons characters are getting hit by falling anvils? It turns out that that was actually a thing. From Has anyone ever been killed by a falling piano or anvil?:

quote:

Finally, anvils. It’s difficult to imagine why one would ever need to hoist an anvil high enough for it to drop on someone.

They were doing some architectural ironwork that had to be hand‐fitted.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Morton Salt’s slogan, “When It Rains It Pours,” made sense at the time it was adopted. It was one of the first table salts to be treated so that it wouldn’t get clumpy in humid conditions.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

echopapa posted:

Morton Salt’s slogan, “When It Rains It Pours,” made sense at the time it was adopted. It was one of the first table salts to be treated so that it wouldn’t get clumpy in humid conditions.

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo, I never really thought of this. That makes perfect sense.

Also, think about how many Young people have never heard a busy signal, or that sound the phone makes whens it's left off the hook too long.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

echopapa posted:

Dafuq?
Mind blown.

One Nut Wonder posted:

Also, think about how many Young people have never heard a busy signal, or that sound the phone makes whens it's left off the hook too long.

Don't worry, Hollywood Sound FX departments continue to add those sounds to cellphones, VOIP and cranium implants.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My Cisco IP phone makes similar sounds when you leave the handset off the hook.

Now I’m trying to remember the last time I heard a real busy signal. I’ve heard fast busies in the last year, but that’s a telco problem. The worst you get calling someone is a recording that they’re voicemail isn’t set up.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I had a busy signal calling my dentist or something a year or two ago. The one I haven't heard in a while is the special information tone. The three tones that came before "We're sorry, this call can't be completed." The tones had some kind of meaning, and they still exist, but not as pure tones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Guy Axlerod posted:

I had a busy signal calling my dentist or something a year or two ago. The one I haven't heard in a while is the special information tone. The three tones that came before "We're sorry, this call can't be completed." The tones had some kind of meaning, and they still exist, but not as pure tones.

Oh yeah my parents took a long time to get cell phones, and it was so odd to me that in present day if someone called and got a busy signal they’d have no way to leave a message and they couldn’t tell anyone phoned. Next project is getting them to drop the landline entirely, it’s 99% scam robocalls.