Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Crytek finally released a benchmark based on the Neon Noir raytracing demo they showed a while ago. No RT acceleration in this, it's just compute shaders.

...and it's still a clear win for Turing even with the RT cores sitting idle :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't get this company. They have a really fancy game engine, regularly releasing innovative things to it, yet no one wants to use it and they're always on the brink of bankruptcy. Should maybe make another game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
because while it's a decent rendering engine, people mostly report it's a terrible engine to actually make games with

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There might be a Crysis 1 remake in the works, they casually showed off a remade level in a recent engine trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUyWwqY-pYc&t=137s

Might be a one-off made just for demonstration purposes, but maybe...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly I've never wanted to replay a super old game just because the graphics have been updated. All this poo poo where they're adding RTX to quake and doom and crysis 1 or w/e should just be downloadable single level 15 min demos. Move on with the real games please folks - yeah we know it's harder but you're also charging $60 USD for them.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Half-Life 3 will be Half-Life 1+2+RTX, mark my knives Gaben

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Quake II RTX is free, Minecraft RTX will be a free update, Doom RTX was fake (but would probably be free if it existed) :shrug:

E: I think I misinterpreted your comment, but you also seem to be vastly underestimating the difference in work between expanding a tech demo to work with a full game and creating a new AAA game.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 13, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Minecraft RTX is only for the Windows version, not the Java one. Microsoft probably really want people to switch to that, too.

You can always install Marty's Reshade shader though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Neon Noir looks neat running in realtime but it hasn't changed since the original reveal, it's still obvious how they contrived the demo to avoid the harder problems in RTRT.

It only has near-perfect mirror reflections (little to no denoising required, TAA alone is probably enough to clean it up, minimal thread divergence) and very little dynamic geometry, with no skinned models at all.

Don't expect that level of performance if/when they implement that approach in a real game :cheeky:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't get this company. They have a really fancy game engine, regularly releasing innovative things to it, yet no one wants to use it and they're always on the brink of bankruptcy. Should maybe make another game.

crytek: use our game engine, look at all the work we put in to the fanciest graphics engine!
epic & unity: use our game engine, look at all the work we put into the dev environment where you make the game!

Also, I've always wondered how much innovation Crytek is really doing. Like, an observed pattern is that Crytek is the first to put out something that later becomes a standard method across all engines. From the outside that looks like they're wizards who make new things that others copy. But there's an alternate explanation: the new things are coming down the pipe based on gpu features, apis like directx/vulkan, or general research from the graphics community. Crytek is just faster at putting them into their engine (because that's the only thing they concentrate on).

Uninformed speculation, but from the outside I've started to think it's the second one.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Finally got around to trying Control, got it for free months ago with some promotion. Tried running it at 3440x1440 max settings all RTX settings on, was getting 30-40 FPS on a 2080 Ti. Decided to turn on DLSS and by golly, DLSS finally does what its supposed to do in a game. While I can find some flaws with it, notably it seems to poo poo itself with 2D textures from a distance like the paintings you see early in the game, but overall the quality is pretty much unnoticiable from native for me and it just about doubles my FPS. RTX settings look good as well, the lighting really adds to the atmosphere the game is trying to create. Gives me some hope for this tech, DLSS in particular was something I was expecting to be the real breakthrough tech for Nvidia that will allow RTX games to be played at good settings, as RTX + DLSS will look better than non-RTX + native if the DLSS works well. So far on Control seems to pull that off.

On the bright side, at least DLSS working well in 1 game means it works better than 1 more game than primitive shaders do, lul.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Beautiful Ninja posted:

While I can find some flaws with it, notably it seems to poo poo itself with 2D textures from a distance like the paintings you see early in the game,

If you mean the very visible texture resolution changes as distance changes, then that’s not dlss, it happens for me running at native resolution

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Decided to turn on DLSS and by golly, DLSS finally does what its supposed to do in a game.

This came up a while ago in this thread but i'll reiterate, the reason Controls DLSS works better than past DLSS implementations is because... it's not actually DLSS.

There's no deep learning fuckery happening in Control, nothing is being done on the tensor cores, it's just a variant of temporal supersampling that's arbitrarily locked to only run on Turing cards.

It's good in the sense that it's actually worth using, unlike the deep-learning variant, but it's not justifying the existence of the tensor cores.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

repiv posted:

justifying the existence of the tensor cores.

lol gl

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Combat Pretzel posted:

did their lawsuit with star citizen for breach of contract settle yet? I hear those guys have a lot of money

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

did their lawsuit with star citizen for breach of contract settle yet? I hear those guys have a lot of money
Goes to trial next year, and I don't think either party has any real money.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Combat Pretzel posted:

Cryengine was great in terms of it being used by Crytek to create several boundary-pushing games. Cryengine was not great in terms of why the gently caress would anyone else license this instead of Unreal, holy poo poo Unreal is so much easier and 90% of the games industry has experience with it.

Also, when Carmack left iD, iD poached the top tech guy at Crytek.

They don't really have that much going for them these days.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Hunt is propping Crytek up at this point, apparently it's a bit of a lightning in a bottle that's both good & popular, so the people at Crytek are actually getting paid monthly again.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Crytek never made a great game. All of them - Far Cry, Crysis 1, 2, 3 were, at best, great for the first half and would dunk down into the dumps in terms of quality in the latter half.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lambert posted:

Crytek never made a great game. All of them - Far Cry, Crysis 1, 2, 3 were, at best, great for the first half and would dunk down into the dumps in terms of quality in the latter half.

I was gonna argue Blood Dragon was good, but then I remembered the part where you ride the dragon and it keeps reciting really bad memes.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Blood Dragon was Ubisoft Montreal, as was Far Cry 2, 3, 4 and 5 and their associated spinoffs.

Ubisoft Montreal was also responsible for Far Cry Instincts and it's expansion, which was basically a reboot of the first Far Cry only considerably better in execution (and unfortunately console only).

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 15, 2019

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I saw a great post a page ago about how to pick a card. There's one thing I didn't understand though. What is a "blower"? Is that a heatsink/fan combo or does it mean something else?

With black friday around the corner, I'm again looking at 2070s. I won't be water cooling and I'll be looking for an EVGA of some sort.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A blower is a shrouded cooler that has a single fan to suck air from inside the case and blow it through the shroud across the GPU and out the back of the case. They are absolute trash and you should only ever buy one if you are doing an extremely stupid build or are simultaneously buying an aftermarket cooling solution to replace it. Or maybe if you're deaf.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A blower-type fan is one where the fan pulls in air from the outside of the card, passes it through the card's innards (hence the solid shroud), and then blows the air out the back of the card

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Vasler posted:

I saw a great post a page ago about how to pick a card. There's one thing I didn't understand though. What is a "blower"? Is that a heatsink/fan combo or does it mean something else?

With black friday around the corner, I'm again looking at 2070s. I won't be water cooling and I'll be looking for an EVGA of some sort.

It refers to the fan setup. A blower card (example) has a small centrifugal fan at the back of the card which blows air through the heatsink and out the back of the case, as opposed to an open heatsink design (example) which has multiple fans on top of the heatsink blowing air down onto the card. Blower designs are generally less effective at cooling and the small fan has to work hard at very high RPM's, so they run hot and sound like a vacuum cleaner. The main selling point is a small form factor, but that doesn't matter for the vast majority of gaming builds.

efb many times over

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Vasler posted:

Blowers are centrifugal fans that push the hot air out of the case instead of dumping it into the case. This might seem real nice but they're much louder and perform worse than open air coolers and are generally not worth considering unless your case has terrible airflow.

Edit: hahaha GPU thread lining up to dunk on blowers

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Arzachel posted:

Edit: hahaha GPU thread lining up to dunk on blowers

It's one of the few things this entire thread can actually agree on.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
actually, that does spark a question: I feel like a lot of the blowers I've seen are "founders edition" or reference cards. Is it just me or is that actually common? If yes, is there a particular reason why that might be? Cheaper to produce?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You're not wrong. NVidia's Founder's Edition were mostly blower-style cards, and AMD's "reference" Radeon designs have typically been blowers, as well.

They are the cheapest to produce, yes, because they involve the least amount of engineering and materials. They also are the only type that can be "guaranteed" to work in any sort of case environment--the larger, open-air coolers are almost invariably larger (most blowers can fit in a 2-slot space, while most open-air blowers need a 3-slot space just to fit, and then need additional free-air space to be able to actually cool effectively), and open-air coolers do not work well in very small cases, like the SFF mini-style ones where there's barely any free air space inside. Since the reference designs need to be sure to function in any situation, that's what we end up with, despite those setups being a pretty niche thing.

This has started to chage of late, as NVidia/AMD apparently finally figured out that basically no one is dumb enough to try to shove a 2080Ti into a SFF case--or if they are, that's their own problem to figure out--and have started making some open-air reference designs, like the 2080Ti FE with it's two-fan design.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, to be clear, the Pascal FE cards and prior are blowers, the Turing FE cards and newer are axial/open coolers. (technically I guess we don't know about Ampere but I don't see them going back now.)

The FE blower cards were generally considered the best blower cards on the market by a long shot due to a really great (and fairly expensive) vapor chamber cooler that NVIDIA designed in the wake of Thermi. Most blower coolers that are not FE dispense with the vapor chamber to reduce costs and tend to run hotter/louder. They often (but not always) still use a reference PCB so can be good subjects for waterblocks/etc.

The axial coolers are better for most people though, much quieter than any blower for a given amount of heat dissipated. The one bad thing I will note is that NVIDIA glues the axial FE coolers together so I've heard it's not the easiest to rip it apart and repaste/etc.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, but considering the cost of the FE cards, I can't see many people buying them just to rip the coolers off--might as well just get a trash-tier blower card for $100 less (or whatever the delta was--I remember it being significant) if you're gonna do that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DrDork posted:

blower advantages for reference cards

Also they're good for long-term reliability, which I bet is a factor for the reference models. Doing warranty replacements is probably an extra layer of complication nobody wants to deal with for those.

Axial fans on GPUs are cheap and die all the drat time. The centrifugal fans in blowers are the one place where they have a part that's more expensive and high quality than what's on OEM sinks. Only paying for 1 fan helps of course. Blower coolers last forever so are good for people who don't want to worry about fan replacement. (However, blowers are IMO more prone to dust blockage than axial heatsinks so that's a possible maintenance issue for home users.)

OTOH with modern cards that can power down so much at idle that they can go passive and turn off fans, I'd expect dead fans won't be as frequent an issue going forwards.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
E: wrong thread

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I have the 1060 FE, which doesn't even have the vapor chamber but you don't need that poo poo on a 120W card. The fan never idles but it's inaudible to me if the card isn't under load, and if it is under load the noise is still pretty faint. Any kind of music, game audio, whatever drowns it out so I haven't really regretted my purchase.

That said, given the option I'd get an open design when I replace it. I only bought it because I didn't want to wait any longer than launch day and woke up too late to get a shot at the other models.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've looked over my 2070S and it has two inside the case and a vent to the back. Putting my hand over that I think there's some air coming out. It's pretty quiet, though.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Thanks for the clarification on blowers everyone. Turns out I was confused because I've never purchased a blower card. I've always purchased the open style ones with two fans. I'll keep doing that!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Vasler posted:

Thanks for the clarification on blowers everyone. Turns out I was confused because I've never purchased a blower card. I've always purchased the open style ones with two fans. I'll keep doing that!

They do have applications where they're more efficient than open-style, but those are usually in extremely niche cases, like the ones designed to resemble game consoles or ultra-small ITX cases, where an open-style cooler would just dump a ton of stagnant air into the case that'd just warm everything else up and turn the case into an incubator.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 16, 2019

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Vasler posted:

Hey now; some of them have three fans!

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Ever since I've updated to the newest NVidia drivers, I've been having HDR issues on my TCL 55P617. Previously, when I turned on HDR mode in Windows or started an HDR game, the display would sometimes be really dim and I'd have to switch TV inputs away and back again. After updating the drivers, it stays dim. I've uninstalled and rolled back the drivers but I'm still unable to get any HDR output from my PC whatsoever that isn't unplayably dark. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

garfield hentai posted:

Ever since I've updated to the newest NVidia drivers, I've been having HDR issues on my TCL 55P617. Previously, when I turned on HDR mode in Windows or started an HDR game, the display would sometimes be really dim and I'd have to switch TV inputs away and back again. After updating the drivers, it stays dim. I've uninstalled and rolled back the drivers but I'm still unable to get any HDR output from my PC whatsoever that isn't unplayably dark. Any ideas?

Use DDU and then reinstall one of the old drivers if you haven't yet.