Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

The person who runs out of time loses.

In paper you just go to turns and after 5 turns the game ends in a draw.

Man that is a poo poo way of deciding who wins a match that went on forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
A Yarok Brawl deck is very fun and leads to hilarious board states I recommend everyone try it.

Also that State of Arena update is very, very good to hear. Glad they understand they need to work towards Pioneer, although I won't rest until we get A/B/U flashback drafts or other silliness that lets me play with the Power 9.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They should make the power 9 cost 5 mythic WCs each.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Btw if you like Golagri make sure you run a copy of find/finality . I had the pleasure of nuking 5 indestructible Nissa lands when I put it on a Rankle. Opponent didn't know and placed a veil , was great!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

I don't really understand why they just don't have them end in draws but I guess people are addicted to progression and would rather lose than have no change.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Oceanbound posted:

You misread his post, they were winning.

The answer is, they noticed they were playing doltos and decided to rope because you can't not rope when you play doltos.

When I'm still getting roped while getting destroyed without emote spamming or the person taking long turns at some point in time I have to feel like there is some sort of bad hex on me

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve played daily since last October and have encountered roping probably fewer than 5 times.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't really understand why they just don't have them end in draws but I guess people are addicted to progression and would rather lose than have no change.
? you mean if the opponent times out the game should be a draw?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I wonder if it’s not a technical problem on your end

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

MRLOLAST posted:

It's meant to keep games from going on forever.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

MRLOLAST posted:

It helps that in paper if your opponent is deliberately wasting time you can call a judge over who can just issue a match loss if they don't knock it the gently caress off. Also it only decides the game so unless it's game 3 or somehow still game 1 then you still have a match winner. It's the fairest way to do it without chess clocks (which would be a nightmare in paper because priority changes a gently caress of a lot)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

No Wave posted:

? you mean if the opponent times out the game should be a draw?

Its a lovely problem used to solve the "my opponent is playing slowly on purpose problem" that has horrible repercussions on actually competitive games that go so long one person times out.

In situations like that it is absolutely lovely to lose for time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Run removal spells in your deck, then cast it again after you’ve killed it.

I mean yeah the correct answer if it's a creature commander is to cook it with Witch's Oven if you can manage to draw a one-off.

It still just seems screwy and against the spirit of the format that you can Frogify a commander or whatever and not have to deal with them for the rest of the game. Is that how it works in EDH too?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zero VGS posted:

I mean yeah the correct answer if it's a creature commander is to cook it with Witch's Oven if you can manage to draw a one-off.

It still just seems screwy and against the spirit of the format that you can Frogify a commander or whatever and not have to deal with them for the rest of the game. Is that how it works in EDH too?

Yes. The answer is to have a bunch of cards that can act as answers one way or another.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zero VGS posted:

No, because in EDH everyone runs answers and wrath effects and spot removal so people hardly ever run into that problem. The worst thing that happens is getting your Commander stolen but you just bounce it or kill it and replay them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

No, because in EDH everyone runs answers and wrath effects and spot removal so people hardly ever run into that problem. The worst thing that happens is getting your Commander stolen but you just bounce it or kill it and replay them.

Right, cool. So it's more of an issue just for brawl I suppose.

Ashiok is such a hillarious commander, people keep playing fetch lands and Golos without remembering about his passive.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zero VGS posted:

Right, cool. So it's more of an issue just for brawl I suppose.

Ashiok is such a hillarious commander, people keep playing fetch lands and Golos without remembering about his passive.

Do you not have removal in your Brawl decks? I don’t get why you think it’s harder to deal with in Brawl than in Commander.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-historic-rollout-2019-11-13 posted:

Historic Play Queue – And, of course, Historic will always be playable in the Play queue for quick, casual, Best-of-One games. (Data shows that players don't often stick around for games two and three in a no-consequences queue like Play. This leads to fewer players in the queues, and worse matches all around. For serious Historic play, the ranked queue and evergreen event will offer Best-of-Three, but casual digital play works better in Best-of-One.) While playing Historic in the play queue does not reward daily win progression, all other game modes discussed above will.

Wow, it seems like ranked historic will now count towards our daily wins. That's not what they said beforehand, right?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

drainpipe posted:

Wow, it seems like ranked historic will now count towards our daily wins. That's not what they said beforehand, right?

it is what they said before

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve played daily since last October and have encountered roping probably fewer than 5 times.
Same, I wonder if people are misconstruing the hangup-on-concede glitch (which I think is still happening)

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

flatluigi posted:

it is what they said before

Oh yeah, it's just the play queue they said wouldn't count towards dailies. Ok, I guess historic might be on the menu for me now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
your occasional reminder that you can just build a deck with your historic cards and hit up the play queue with it right now if you really want to do that

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Yeah, I just wasn't interested when it didn't count for daily wins. What's the historic meta like?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'd be surprised if there was a meta for historic already given that there's no rewards for playing it.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

lol at the dude casting Kasmina's Transformation on my Voracious Hydra and then conceding in shame after reading the card

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Ahaha brawl is so dumb and fun, I just got a win with my rainbow Niv deck and Happily Ever After. I feel so dirty.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Kiora as your commander, ramp, big creatures and copy spells, go do it now it's super fun

This is what I'm using now

Commander
1 Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner (WAR) 232

Deck
1 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
1 Simic Guildgate (RNA) 258
1 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
1 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
1 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
1 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
1 Maraleaf Pixie (ELD) 196
1 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
1 Sedge Scorpion (M20) 192
1 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200
1 Gadwick, the Wizened (ELD) 48
1 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
1 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig (ELD) 185
1 Beast Whisperer (GRN) 123
1 God-Eternal Kefnet (WAR) 53
1 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
1 Sharktocrab (RNA) 206
1 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
1 Spark Double (WAR) 68
1 Bioessence Hydra (WAR) 186
1 Cavalier of Gales (M20) 52
1 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167
1 God-Eternal Rhonas (WAR) 163
1 Dream Eater (GRN) 38
1 Beanstalk Giant (ELD) 149
1 End-Raze Forerunners (RNA) 124
1 Callous Dismissal (WAR) 44
1 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
1 Neoform (WAR) 206
1 Quasiduplicate (GRN) 51
1 Incubation // Incongruity (RNA) 226
1 Repudiate // Replicate (RNA) 227
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
1 Kenrith's Transformation (ELD) 164
1 Kasmina's Transmutation (WAR) 57
1 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333
1 Thornwood Falls (M20) 258
9 Forest (ANA) 60
8 Island (ANA) 57

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If I were playing a Kiora deck I would run lotus field. imo.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
I had fun last night running the Sultai Cat Food deck from Richmond. Combine the best of both worlds: turn 2 Oko and Cat Oven :D

In Brawl I was playing the Nicol Bolas deck that mengu was playing and its pretty cool, list below. When I get home I can post an importable version, if brawl is still available - I think I barely have time to play it due to my timezone.

https://twitter.com/Mengu09/status/1194591495434723330?s=20

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fun Brawl Facts:

Don't make an Ugin deck.

You're not allowed to include more than one nonbasic land which produces colored mana.

I feel like in EDH, incorrectly-colored mana would just turn colorless. But perhaps that changed long ago. Regardless, you'll get no Gates synergy with Ugin.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Funkdreamer posted:

Same, I wonder if people are misconstruing the hangup-on-concede glitch (which I think is still happening)

That could be happening. I get my fair share of emote spammer ropers but I also get a bunch of straight time out concedes that could just be them disconnecting and forgetting to concede, or there being some sort of glitch where they concede on their end but I don't get it on mine. All I know is it happens a lot. At least twice a day if not more if I'm playing a lot.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Hammer Bro. posted:

Fun Brawl Facts:

Don't make an Ugin deck.

You're not allowed to include more than one nonbasic land which produces colored mana.

I feel like in EDH, incorrectly-colored mana would just turn colorless. But perhaps that changed long ago. Regardless, you'll get no Gates synergy with Ugin.

No in EDH you used to need to collect 40 odd taps for colourless non-basics. Now you can just run Wastes though, they are colourless basics.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

I am absolutely playing this dumb deck in Historic

I remember the Against the Odds video for this. It didn't work so well in Modern because opponents can crack fetchlands to save themselves, but it should be better here

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Seems like it should play cavalcade, which takes their life down in increments of 1

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
How long do you think it'll take for Pioneer to be released? My guess is December 2020, maybe up to April 2021. I hope with the addition of this, we'll get options of having Ranked Draft for older formats. Have one that's standard and one that's Pioneer that way it can make Limited be more diverse but still give players progression in the season.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Waffleopolis posted:

How long do you think it'll take for Pioneer to be released? My guess is December 2020, maybe up to April 2021. I hope with the addition of this, we'll get options of having Ranked Draft for older formats. Have one that's standard and one that's Pioneer that way it can make Limited be more diverse but still give players progression in the season.

it would absolutely in no way take that short amount of time

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I mean they could add all the cards by the end of the year if they wanted.

The real question is "Which method makes them the most money without abusing the playerbase?" and that certainly isn't jamming all those cards in that fast.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah 20 extra sets in one year seems like a bit much even if they are cutting out the crap and condensing them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
While we all know that Wizards is not our friend (especially if you're bi or gay!) it is more or less impossible for them to get Pioneer into Arena by the end of the year unless they massively increase their team size. Adding that many cards all at once into their game that is already making GBS threads itself thanks to Unity would be an undertaking to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Stuff like Theros block sort of solidifies into a single coherent mega-set, but I can't wait to see the ones they make for RTR/GTC/DGM or Khans block. I hope they let us draft those messes.