Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Stabbey, if you have PMs, I would appreciate that Twitter link

Editdrat all the gods, I am cursed at page snipes. Here's the link to the newest update

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Aida? What's that a reference to? All I can think of is Aida Wong from Resident Evil, but that's probably not it.

This joker.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
I have no idea what he's on about but I absolutely meant Remake Ada Wong.

But if you think about that scene, did Irina show interest in Alisa's life? Not really. She said "Hello Alisa", then changed the subject. Not a "How are you", or "what's the academy like" in sight. Of course, Alisa wasn't in Bareahard to see the Duke, so she doesn't know that some people have it even worse than she does.

Fair enough. It's still a huge step up from "hello, travesty of my loins, are you going out to play with your garbage friends today?"

Erpy posted:

I don't think they said they hated the music, they just took note of the bird cry sound that was frequently audible in the highlands. I don't think it's part of the actual music track, btw.

Yeah, that's the one. I hadn't actually considered that it might be a sound effect; I thought it was hitting at the same point in the song every time. It's not. (I don't really love the song either, but it's fine.)

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 13, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Irina is garbage and needs to be set on fire. Of course, Sharon would probably show up to put her out after hauling rear end from Crossbell, but still

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Drink every time someone says "the winds and the Goddess"

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

Fair enough. It's still a huge step up from "hello, travesty of my loins, are you going out to play with your garbage friends today?"

Oh, Alisa's mother is absolutely better than Jusis's father (and Sky the Third Tita's mother and Kevin's mother), no doubt about that. But that falls into the category of "damned by faint praise". I wouldn't go so far as to say Irina should be set on fire, but she ranks quite low on the Trails series's Good Mom list. But that's enough about that for now, there's a field study to worry about.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Oh, Alisa's mother is absolutely better than Jusis's father (and Sky the Third Tita's mother and Kevin's mother), no doubt about that. But that falls into the category of "damned by faint praise". I wouldn't go so far as to say Irina should be set on fire, but she ranks quite low on the Trails series's Good Mom list. But that's enough about that for now, there's a field study to worry about.

For all that Erika is Erika, she at least loves Tita and is fine with showing that affection. The other parents in this discussion... not so much.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

38. Horseland

We begin to explore the high lands, which are calm but grand and pulsing with life.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 18, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Molten Rain, despite the metal name, is pretty crap, because its damage is based on Alisa's low STR and it has a very short cast range. It's only really good for triggering unbalance-assists and on Sepith-up turns. It's basically used once or twice and forgotten until like 85% of the way through Cold Steel 2.
- Crafts don't have elements, no matter what they look like. The only crafts which have elements were both of a certain character's S-Crafts in Sky the Third.
- Opening Alisa's slot will be worth it for Dragon Vein/Ingenuity because EP regen on the field is extremely efficient. She's at 58% EP, and will be back to full before you leave the room.
- I like sticking a Yellow Pendulum onto Alisa so she can't be muted or sealed, either of which are pretty crippling for her role. (Same goes for Elliot.)
- Now that Alisa has that Dragon Vein, you could stick her with more multiple-target attacks, which are both more powerful and will hit more targets. Single-target arts are pretty outclassed at this point - especially since you no longer get them for "free" like you could with Trails in the Sky's orbment system. There should be a few more AoE arts you can pick up from chests in this chapter, take advantage.
- I don't think it matters if enemies get CP + 10, EP + 10 turn bonuses.
- I won't complain about videos being over an hour. At least, not until the Chapter 4 field study videos, for reasons which will be obvious.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 18, 2019

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

- Now that Alisa has that Dragon Vein, you could stick her with more multiple-target attacks, which are both more powerful and will hit more targets. Single-target arts are pretty outclassed at this point - especially since you no longer get them for "free" like you could with Trails in the Sky's orbment system. There should be a few more AoE arts you can pick up from chests in this chapter, take advantage.
Due to how the speed mechanics work, spamming the low-level single-target attacks can be a viable strategy against bosses and other big singular enemies. More powerful spells get bigger delays, and spells in general have both a casting delay and the standard until-next-turn delay. However this all turns around if you can completely eliminate one or both sources of delay, at which point big spells get real nasty in single-target environments. (And as noted, one of the other good things about bigger spells is that they can hit more stuff per attack.)

quote:

- I won't complain about videos being over an hour. At least, not until the Chapter 4 field study videos, for reasons which will be obvious.
"Wait, what was so special about the Chapter 4 field study? :confused: :ohdear: Oh yeah, 'cause Chapter 4 was there."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

NGDBSS posted:

Due to how the speed mechanics work, spamming the low-level single-target attacks can be a viable strategy against bosses and other big singular enemies. More powerful spells get bigger delays, and spells in general have both a casting delay and the standard until-next-turn delay. However this all turns around if you can completely eliminate one or both sources of delay, at which point big spells get real nasty in single-target environments. (And as noted, one of the other good things about bigger spells is that they can hit more stuff per attack.)

That's true, but I think that practically speaking that only really makes much difference for Quick-Draw Alisa -OR- with delay reduction bonuses given by certain MQ's. Emma and Elliot's natural speed is just so slow that it's not going to make a big enough difference to be worth it without delay reduction bonuses.

quote:

"Wait, what was so special about the Chapter 4 field study? :confused: :ohdear: Oh yeah, 'cause Chapter 4 was there."

Yeah, that. I'm on my Nightmare playthrough of CS 1, I'm just about there and I'm less than enthusiastic.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 18, 2019

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Stacking a bell and and a MQ bonus very much works on Emma.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

To complete the prophecy:

Level 1 Thief posted:

38. Horseland

We begin to explore the high lands, which are calm but grand and pulsing with life.

Much like all cats.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Nah, Nord is still worse.

Don't feel compelled to build anyone a particular way. You really can't screw up most characters. Even on nightmare.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

39. Herd Impunity

We wrap up our tasks in the south and then go right back for more.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ah yes, that one, as in singular, bad Vita game with the questionable touching

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hwurmp posted:

Ah yes, that one, as in singular, bad Vita game with the questionable touching

There's a reason you hear me go NOPE loudly as the search goes on

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~I'm gonna continually always offer nearly the opposite advice of Stabbey WRT Alisa for the entirety of this LP, so I apologize in advance for that. Assume our differing views are just more evidence of "it's really hard to screw up a character in this game, particularly Alisa"

Alisa really isn't noticeably lower in strength than Fie/Jusis/Machias, and might actually be better than one or two of those three. Giving her one or two status Quartz for Molten Rain is a decent way of inflicting a lot of enemies with a bunch of status. Remember you're hitting a huge area. When you're not dealing with bosses, you can clear an entire group of enemies, unscathed, if you get good at hitting several huge AoE abilities consecutively, so Molten Rain is pretty much always useful and good for this reason. It is somehow also, by far, Alisa's worst skill. Alisa is really, really good. She hasn't even gotten her best ability yet.

She's also surprisingly fast and might be the best choice after Fie and Rean for doing spammy poo poo. She doesn't have a natural delay craft, so she could benefit from Impedes or a certain extremely high quality quartz. Note that every single upgraded weapon for Alisa offers her 5% more Critical Hit rate than other characters. Attacking with Alisa also helps her get her turn faster, since arts are slow (Alisa turns are good turns), and it helps keep her CP up (Alisa CP is good CP)

~Using Tear/Teara with Emma inside of battle is almost never worthwhile, because Serene Blessing will also restore CP, and is instantaneous.

~The double-status Quartz like Suzaku are really, really good on people with 4 lines (Gauis, Fie) or 3 (Alisa, Rean, ) because you can stack them with another one on a different line. Put 4 on Gaius, and, he'll have a chance per hit to inflict eight distinct status ailments.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Rune Blade does do damage, not sure why it didn't do much on the one guy. I'm sure you equipped Jusis's new weapon. ...No wait, you did that offscreen, so I can't be sure you did.
- Jusis and Machias are both good support characters for casters, but for different reasons - Machias can heal and restore EP to keep casters casting in long battles, Jusis can debuff enemy ADF so arts hit harder.
- Chrono Drive is very good. Speed is extremely important in boss battles. This matters more on higher difficulties, though.
- Scent does attract monsters, but that never mattered to me because it does not change enemies leash range, so they still just give up chasing you, turn around, and let you triple advantage them in the back. Since I always fought enemies in that manner even before Scent, it was just a straight upgrade.
- "Sharon just pops into the tent". You laugh, but know that at any moment, Sharon could just pop in out of nowhere, no matter where you are. Her motto: "Always watching".

- You got all the answers right. 50 years ago is likely on your mind because that was from an earlier sidequest. The orbal revolution was a little more than 50 years ago. 250 years ago is another trick answer because you might remember that from the end of the civil war.
- Any answer to the "what are your thoughts on nobles" question is fine. Class VII will say the same thing no matter what Rean picks.
- "Noble" and "rich" are not synonyms in the game. The laws and obligations for nobility are still different than for commoners, although Osborne's Reformist faction is working on changing that. The Reinfords are not nobles, even though they're richer than probably almost all the nobles besides the four Great Houses. For example, the Hyarms family would be very unlikely to ever consider arranging a marriage between Patrick and Alisa, because she's a commoner. However, Patrick and Laura would be much more acceptable because she's a noble. (Yes, I am completely ignoring the feelings of the potential partners towards each other. That's on purpose - they aren't considered important when it comes to marriages between nobles.)

- Ooh, Yellow pendulums are nice for those who make use crafts and arts equally.
- Draw distance on PC is indeed tremendous.
- The hidden quest here is tricky, because almost all other hidden quests in the game show up upon first talking to them at the right time. There's only one other quest which is harder to find, and that's only maybe.
- Alisa's attempt at Pizza is so bad that it wraps around into being good again.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~I'm gonna continually always offer nearly the opposite advice of Stabbey WRT Alisa for the entirety of this LP, so I apologize in advance for that. Assume our differing views are just more evidence of "it's really hard to screw up a character in this game, particularly Alisa"

Alisa really isn't noticeably lower in strength than Fie/Jusis/Machias, and might actually be better than one or two of those three. Giving her one or two status Quartz for Molten Rain is a decent way of inflicting a lot of enemies with a bunch of status. Remember you're hitting a huge area. When you're not dealing with bosses, you can clear an entire group of enemies, unscathed, if you get good at hitting several huge AoE abilities consecutively, so Molten Rain is pretty much always useful and good for this reason. It is somehow also, by far, Alisa's worst skill. Alisa is really, really good. She hasn't even gotten her best ability yet.

She's also surprisingly fast and might be the best choice after Fie and Rean for doing spammy poo poo. She doesn't have a natural delay craft, so she could benefit from Impedes or a certain extremely high quality quartz. Note that every single upgraded weapon for Alisa offers her 5% more Critical Hit rate than other characters. Attacking with Alisa also helps her get her turn faster, since arts are slow (Alisa turns are good turns), and it helps keep her CP up (Alisa CP is good CP)

Molten Rain hits a huge area, yes, but you need Alisa to be really close to the enemies because it has a short cast range. If she's in the back, she can't hit many of them. Her only other enemy-targeting craft is single-target. Gaius, Machias, Rean and Fie all have AoE crafts or attacks which are easier to use than Molten Rain. I do agree that Alisa hasn't gotten her best crafts. Her best buff craft comes later yet, and her best offensive craft is Dame Not Appearing In This Game.

I absolutely agree that Alisa is really, really good. I just think playing to her strength of casting is more effective than trying to shore up her weakness of physical damage. I'd rather put a cast or Action quartz onto Alisa than a status-inflicting quartz.

I was going to dispute your "not much less strength" arguments with actual math, but I took a save from where everyone was level 20 or 2, and I stripped all the equipment, quartz and master quartz off them. (Weapons were not removable, so I just subtracted the stat bonuses they gave.) It turns out that if you remove the Master Quartz and weapon bonuses, the stats do some absolutely strange things.

HOWEVER, I'll give your idea a try and see if it changes my mind.

EDIT: Alisa needs to be no farther back than the second row for Molten Rain to hit a fair number of enemies. Even with Petrify, Burn, Seal, Mute, and Freeze on, they rarely proc'ed (but only a 10% chance each, so...) Your claim is that using crafts is faster, but each of Alisa's first 3 crafts have a delay of 35, which is a lot higher than the time to finish casting any of the arts, even without Cast X quartz or level 5 MQ. That 35 delay on crafts matches Altair Cannon, which is a top-tier spell.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 21, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

EDIT: Alisa needs to be no farther back than the second row for Molten Rain to hit a fair number of enemies. Even with Petrify, Burn, Seal, Mute, and Freeze on, they rarely proc'ed (but only a 10% chance each, so...) Your claim is that using crafts is faster, but each of Alisa's first 3 crafts have a delay of 35, which is a lot higher than the time to finish casting any of the arts, even without Cast X quartz or level 5 MQ. That 35 delay on crafts matches Altair Cannon, which is a top-tier spell.

Are you adding delay to cast time?

I'm inclined to think the best things you can put on Alisa are, in order, speed/evade/impede quartz, big strength boosts (which tend to be the status quartz), and then, specifically, revival magics. You also mentioned speed being your first choice, so I think we're actually pretty close to how we view the character herself, just way different in how highly we value magic in this entry. At this point in the game, unless it's a boss or a big monster, I'm not even using magic with Emma, even on Nightmare, because I feel like I get more value using her Ethereal blades and proccing a followup from Gaius or Rean. Delay never really gets considered except at bosses or chest monsters, because if I've plotted it out right, the enemies have not gotten turns. The more status I can drop, the better.

It's a close enough race where I certainly don't think your opinion is irrational, so I hope I'm not coming off as confrontational. You're a cool person and I love jawing about Trails. I will make my closing arguments in four or five months or so when the LP advances enough to get a very specific quartz that is incredibly obviously designed for Alisa. And it is a physical quartz. ............>sigh< yeah, ok, and also a magical quartz. Maybe we can agree she's just a hybrid

~Rune blade is really weird. It's magical damage, so it definitely targets an enemies ADF, but I suspect it might be powered by Jusis' arts and not his strength (possibly the only argument for keeping Mistral). Its multiplier is seriously bad, though. Incidentally, if you look at the "class" of an art or craft, it will give you an idea of the damage multiplier, on a scale from D to S (to SSSS) with + rarely tossed in to be a .5. So a craft that does C damage is roughly on par with a basic attack, and an attack that does D damage is actually worse. If I recall correctly, since I don't have a file that's not clear data at the moment, Rune Blade is class D, and therefor really weak. Outside of debuffing enemies, it's almost never used. Jusis also hasn't learned his best crafts, and won't even get his best one in this game. Somehow, he's still also pretty good, but he's probably lower tier in this game than he is in CS2.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The only game I remember that had a back-rubbing mechanic was Terranigma for the SNES. Unlike whatever Fletcher's talking about, it wasn't intended to be sexy, just an outgrowth of the game's pushing mechanic. (Terranigma was an action-adventure title that followed from Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I hope all this nerd chat isn't too obnoxious, Level 1 Thief / END ME SCOOB.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Are you adding delay to cast time?

I guess you're counting the time between damage impacts, so it's not just the 11 delay between starting cast to firing the spell, but the delay of ??? before the next turn so she can start casting again, plus the 11 delay again. That total time MIGHT be a little longer. But I remain unimpressed with the (Class C) Molten Rain. I'm on Nightmare and I'm going to stick with my arts, tyvm. Especially since the scales tip firmly towards arts once Bell + MQ 5 come into play.

quote:

I'm inclined to think the best things you can put on Alisa are, in order, speed/evade/impede quartz, big strength boosts (which tend to be the status quartz), and then, specifically, revival magics.

Speed is good for everyone, Evade I prefer on those who are closer to the front and more likely to be hit, Impede I like giving to those without an impede craft - Laura, Gaius, Spoiler. Strength goes on physical attackers and Alisa is firmly towards the bottom of that list. Revival I can somewhat agree with, although since the best one isn't until late Seraph, I usually use items for that instead of dealing with casting delay.

quote:

You also mentioned speed being your first choice, so I think we're actually pretty close to how we view the character herself, just way different in how highly we value magic in this entry. At this point in the game, unless it's a boss or a big monster, I'm not even using magic with Emma, even on Nightmare, because I feel like I get more value using her Ethereal blades and proccing a followup from Gaius or Rean.

I feel like if there are casters in the game, they should be casting for big numbers, not being used to TRY and proc a single-target low-damage physical attack. I assume you never use Elliot, whose crafts can't trigger link attacks.

quote:

Delay never really gets considered except at bosses or chest monsters, because if I've plotted it out right, the enemies have not gotten turns. The more status I can drop, the better.

It's a close enough race where I certainly don't think your opinion is irrational, so I hope I'm not coming off as confrontational. You're a cool person and I love jawing about Trails.

I also don't bother much with Delay, but I prefer a different setup for status effects than sticking a caster in the front and using a weak physical attack. We're cool, though.

quote:

I will make my closing arguments in four or five months or so when the LP advances enough to get a very specific quartz that is incredibly obviously designed for Alisa. And it is a physical quartz. ............>sigh< yeah, ok, and also a magical quartz. Maybe we can agree she's just a hybrid

I had to fire up a late-game save because I couldn't even think of what you could possibly mean. The Mars Gem? I did actually stick that onto her for boss battles when Ingenuity (also incredibly obviously designed for Alisa) was useless, but only for the spell.

I also think Alisa is a hybrid, but a hybrid support and caster, not a support + status infliction. , You've got a much stronger case for that in CS 2, though.

quote:

~Rune blade is really weird. It's magical damage, so it definitely targets an enemies ADF, but I suspect it might be powered by Jusis' arts and not his strength (possibly the only argument for keeping Mistral). Its multiplier is seriously bad, though. Incidentally, if you look at the "class" of an art or craft, it will give you an idea of the damage multiplier, on a scale from D to S (to SSSS) with + rarely tossed in to be a .5. So a craft that does C damage is roughly on par with a basic attack, and an attack that does D damage is actually worse. If I recall correctly, since I don't have a file that's not clear data at the moment, Rune Blade is class D, and therefor really weak. Outside of debuffing enemies, it's almost never used. Jusis also hasn't learned his best crafts, and won't even get his best one in this game. Somehow, he's still also pretty good, but he's probably lower tier in this game than he is in CS2.

Rune Blade is powered by Jusis's ATS, that's what the "Magic" modifier means. I believe that only Emma and Elliot's basic staff attacks use STR to hit ADF. Rune Blade is Class B, not D, so I don't know what's going on with the damage, unless they only bought the new weapons at the store and didn't actually equip all of them. There is in fact only one Class D craft in Cold Steel 1, and that's Fie's Flash Grenade, which is used for its status, not its damage (it also can't trigger assists).

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~Inflicting status is just a thing I add onto attacks whenever I can. I use Alisa the same way I do Fie, just with fantastic party buffs and much better durability to mitigate having a little less speed. And, eventually, yes, casting. And you're right about the gem. +80 attack is a lot of attack. She's going to be closer to Rean than to Fie at that point, damage wise. I've had her surpass Rean in STR at points in CS1 and 2.

~Nah, Elliot's great, and absolutely dominant in his role as a healer. Late game when magic is decent-ish, or in CS2, he's definitely a mage, but his two offensive crafts are pretty drat good regardless of not breaking enemies, doing reasonable damage, but more importantly, hitting a big area, and inflicting two extremely powerful status ailments at a very high (starting at 30% and getting up to 60%) clip. Whether or not you value magic very highly in this game, there are no bad characters. If you stuff someone into your party, you're going to get a lot of value out of them, as long as you remember what they actually bring to the table.

~Rune Blade is... class.... B? What in the world? I don't think I've ever seen it hit higher than his base attack. Although.... Jusis is another hybrid, and, given that they start him with Mistral, and he has two lines instead of three, probably intended to lean toward Mage, but Mistral is just so bad, and front loaded, and I just don't like those quartz types at all.

~One thing I've noticed is magic gets progressively better as the series goes on. CS2, I start using it early and often, though it's definitely not my go-to for anyone (outside of bosses!), even the obvious casters. But by the time you get to the end of the game, I might be using a party of Emma/Elliot/Alisa/Jusis and bombing spells every turn, depending on the actual enemy. Then there's CS3, where it's totally plausible to have one character drop five or six spells in a row before anyone else gets a turn

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I hope all this nerd chat isn't too obnoxious, Level 1 Thief / END ME SCOOB.

I don't mind at all, I just have no real useful input. How RPGs pull their numbers is interesting but if the enemy ends up dead it's still a success in my book.

40. Wake Up Sheeple

When the plot's away, the turbo button comes out to play.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

I don't mind at all, I just have no real useful input. How RPGs pull their numbers is interesting but if the enemy ends up dead it's still a success in my book.

To be honest, combat optimization isn't very important on Normal difficulty outside of maybe a few late-game bosses. The game isn't that difficult.

- Well okay, if you've got time to spare for synchronizing children, then the Chapter 4 field study shouldn't be a problem. (It's actually not as bad as I remembered it.)
- Seriyuu is acquired through fishing points.
- Crescent Shell is pretty good, but in CS 1 it doesn't affect Emma (it does in CS 2).
- Move quartz probably won't work with Molten Rain since this craft seems to be set as one which does not move the character.
- Ooh, maybe try to harvest a few of those Attack 1 Quartz from the Hippogriffs. Every 3 Attack 1 Quartz you get can be traded in at the pawnshop to get an Attack 2 quartz, absolutely free. Really, check out the pawn shop(s) in the game, they are great for trade-ins and upgrades. The farther you go, the better stuff you can trade for, too. Especially the stuff you can get around the start of Chapter 6.
- Yep, the sheep quest dumps you back at the settlement. That's why people replaying this tend to grab the three sheep in the north first and get the one near Zender Gate last while they're doing the hidden quest for Sharl - it saves one ride back to the settlement. I wasn't going to spoil that discovery for you guys though.
- I probably should use Earth Pulse more, but I keep forgetting, because you kinda need to pre-emptively cast it,
- Chrono Drive is a good choice for Rean. You could also move it to where Demonic Scythe is, since Rean's ATS is mediocre, thus opening up another slot and giving more flexibility.
- "We left all our responsibilities behind!" Wow.
- Bad luck to not get an Arowana at the dock fishing spot. I'm sure those can appear there. (Don't worry about it though, it can appear in Trista later anyway.)
- There's no point in using less than the best rod you have, I think. Still, you should probably use the best rod.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 25, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Breath is still less unsavory than Slurp Kiss

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Since rods can only get certain kinds of fish (one notable exception later), switching to a weaker one can be useful for filling in gaps

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

To be honest, combat optimization isn't very important on Normal difficulty outside of maybe a few late-game bosses. The game isn't that difficult.

I've just finished the game for the first time last week. I did it on hard, it still didn't require an optimised party, I don't think. Certainly, it didn't feel like it punished me for only using my favourite characters whenever I could.

I then immediately brought Cold Steel 2 and started that. They got me.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

41. But It Can't Be...

The best character has arrived!*

*Based on a poll of one (1) respondent in the Northern Highlands

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm sorry you got upstaged in your own chapter, Gaius

I'm sorry it was partly so an old man could tell us he thinks his teenage granddaughter has rockin' tits

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
With the main male role model in her early teenager years being the top bet for starting the Zemurian equivalent of MeToo, it at least makes sense that Alisa's initial attitude towards Rean was Pervert Revenge Mode.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I like your choice of episode thumbnail.
- Wait, Heat Up+ has a large area of effect? How did I not notice? I must have just tuned it out because the normal version is single-target. That definitely seems useful for clearing party status effects, I usually resort to single-target food or ignoring them (which I should know is a bad idea because of how useful stat UP is).
- There's a fishing spot to the left of the statue, but you could get it later, and even if you don't, the fish will still have the chance to be caught in Trista's pond/stream.

- Yeah, the Trails games do use orbal as an unnecessary prefix a lot of the time. Maybe they think their players will forget that this universe uses magically self-contained and self-regenerating energy if they aren't reminded of it every 10 minutes.
- Reinford being so big and unwieldy will get another mention later.
- I never thought about going back to Zender Gate at that point. I suppose I could fire up the game and check. ...You made the right decision, there's no new dialogue.
- The next Red Moon Rose in this chapter is hidden with even more dickish and non-intuitive timing than this would be.
- I understand when people say that this chapter doesn't focus as much on Gaius as you would expect. It's partly because just being here and seeing all of this does tell us a lot about Gaius. We're learning by immersion instead of through monologue. But yes, more about Gaius is coming this chapter.
- (Re: Gwyn being a creeper) Really, Japan? WHY.
- I think that's the worst Gwyn gets (not that he has much screentime). Sometimes Falcom, in an attempt to give Establishing Character Moments which will stick, overshoots the mark and goes too far. There's no excuse for going that far, though.
- "That night the people of the settlement all just stood there and watched him fix the car." Well of course, it's the boonies, and they don't have TV or radios. That's prime entertainment material right there.

- Norton could ask Gwyn, sure, but it's likely that he wouldn't answer. I mean, if he didn't talk to the press about it at the time he left, I don't see him doing so now.
- "Your father was the heart of this family? Wow." - You did see that Roer train-station scene, right? No one has ever accurately described Irina Reinford as "sentimental".
- Two of the members of the Lacrosse club are probably friendly and polite to Alisa, they count.
- That Rean/Alisa scene is one of my favorites in the game, for many reasons.
- Alisa's Rosetta Arrow is considered a Magic attack, so it's boosted by ATS, not STR. Luckily Angel MQ comes with Fortuna.
- It's a very good place to stop. Whenever you get a save prompt in the middle of cutscenes, it means there's another 10-15 minutes of cutscenes after the save prompt too.
- And you called the OTHER team "Team International Incident." :allears:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

- And you called the OTHER team "Team International Incident." :allears:

To be fair, we don't know that something those other idiots did didn't kick off the war and spill it over onto our boys and girls.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

And they didn't cause the international incident. They just happen to be in its vicinity.

...or did they?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

CottonWolf posted:

And they didn't cause the international incident. They just happen to be in its vicinity.

...or did they?

Everything in Erebonia revolves around Class VII. Everything. People aren't allowed to marry without 5 or more members signing off on it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

...or did they?

Emma's been offscreen quite a bit :tinfoil:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 29, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ This is merely the first (....I... think...) instance of Jusis showing off his propensity for saying things someone else just said, but with mocking disbelief that they actually said it. His VA really knocks these lines out of the park.

~ Yes, Rean is really, really bad at this. Unfathomably bad. He actually gets worse.

~ Flipside is, characters in this series grow and learn each others' quirks and traits, and it's delightful as more and more people start to realize how oblivious Rean is, and ripping on him for his overblown dramatic speeches.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ This is merely the first (....I... think...) instance of Jusis showing off his propensity for saying things someone else just said, but with mocking disbelief that they actually said it. His VA really knocks these lines out of the park.

Actually, on the train ride back from Bareahard, Jusis already ridiculed Sara's cheesy speech to her face and actually got Machias of all people to laugh with him.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ Flipside is, characters in this series grow and learn each others' quirks and traits, and it's delightful as more and more people start to realize how oblivious Rean is, and ripping on him for his overblown dramatic speeches.

As much as I like Rean, every scene where he gets dunked on for his speeches is wonderful. The one in the latest video included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

All games should dunk on their main characters.