Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1194754916293722114?s=20

quote:

Starting this week, I’m moving to a "Consulting CTO” position with Oculus.

I will still have a voice in the development work, but it will only be consuming a modest slice of my time.

As for what I am going to be doing with the rest of my time: When I think back over everything I have done across games, aerospace, and VR, I have always felt that I had at least a vague “line of sight” to the solutions, even if they were unconventional or unproven. I have sometimes wondered how I would fare with a problem where the solution really isn’t in sight. I decided that I should give it a try before I get too old.

I’m going to work on artificial general intelligence (AGI).

I think it is possible, enormously valuable, and that I have a non-negligible chance of making a difference there, so by a Pascal’s Mugging sort of logic, I should be working on it.

For the time being at least, I am going to be going about it “Victorian Gentleman Scientist” style, pursuing my inquiries from home, and drafting my son into the work.

Runner up for next project was cost effective nuclear fission reactors, which wouldn’t have been as suitable for that style of work. 😊

nooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Link when?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

oh no, he's a Less Wronger

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Leal posted:

Link when?

:emptyquote:

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I am totally unqualified to call his decision dumb but I also think it's dumb and he won't achieve anything on his own that massive teams at giant tech companies haven't been able to figure out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I can appreciate that Carmack is at least attempting a sort of Noblesse oblige and dedicating himself to science, plenty of people would be happy to just make as much money as they can the easy way, or retire, if put in his shoes. Even if it does come across a tad pretentious.

I think there's a solid chance he'll contribute some advancements or algorithms to research but I also don't think its likely that he'll contribute some massive recognizable milestone in just a few years. But we'll see.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
This is good news!!! For Oculus!!

(:smith:)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Great, now when SkyNet finally comes into existence, the loving Terminators will fight like the Doom Marine.

We're so hosed. :negative:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://github.com/QuestEscape/exploit

A root exploit for Quest is out in the wild. If you want root access to your Quest for whatever reason I'd suggest disconnecting it from the internet until tools come out that make this exploit functional, as Oculus are probably going to fix this next patch.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

SCheeseman posted:

A root exploit for Quest is out in the wild. If you want root access to your Quest for whatever reason I'd suggest disconnecting it from the internet until tools come out that make this exploit functional, as Oculus are probably going to fix this next patch.

thanks for posting

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

At least go into the Oculus App and set "update automatically" to off. That's for updating the firmware. I'm sure they could override it but so far they have not. Apparently, if you're good with ADB you can as of now downgrade firmware at will.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah. Its kind of a weird thing. I really really really figured I'd love the overhead thing. I really DID like it for a while. Couple months actually.

Then I started getting more comfortable in VR and moving around more, spinning more, taking less care when I was moving in general.

I got an overhead system and used it for about 2 hours. I found it offered little to no benefit over tried and true cable on the ground. I have a largish ~18'x18' space and the overhead took away some range and would catch my hands when I turned backwards.

As a Vive first user I've always preferred 360 physical turning games and was used to hopping the cable (never play with shoes on). If you were a CV1 first player that used snap turn 100% of the time I could see overhead w/ pully working for you.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

My intent was to use them with natural locomotion

I could see if working if you have a CV1 front facing snap turning setup (stick turn) but if you use room-scale/physical turning then it doesn't IMHO work well with natural locomotion. But by all means please test and tell us if you get it to work and how. Many of us are interested in the same but have failed when we tried.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re: Pistol Whip

Originally I thought it was just an arcade shooter. I played Pistol Whip in "deadeye mode" which disables aim assist, holy hell, I retract my statement. It's actually a James Bond murder simulator. Switching to deadeye mode is both much, much harder, and turns it in to a completely different, but still great game.

SirViver posted:

So, if anyone's using an overhead cable management system (or planning to get one), I can wholeheartedly recommend the ones from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H53QmxZ-rOs

I've recently upgraded, and compared to their predecessors they:
[list]
[*]Use a fabric/nylon ("dyneema") cable, which is quieter than the steel cable. It should also hopefully be more durable; I've recently had one of the steel cables snap during play, probably from a weakened point due to bending by winding/unwinding the cable repeatedly. Steel may have a greater tensile strength, but that is completely overkill for this application.

Random sidenote, dyneema is a loving magic modern material, by volume it's as strong as steel, but it's so light it literally floats in/on water. It also has really good friction properties (extremely low) and is super soft so it's easy on the skin. This stuff has been around for about 30 years but was mostly restricted to seal team 6 stuff and america's cup world-class sailing competitions, but recently the chinese started making it and the price went from about $3.00 usd/ft down to about $0.10/ft; $1.00 usd/ft for the 14,000lb test stuff (1/4" braided rope)

Also it's hollow braided so you can splice it easily and make "soft shackles" which have been hugely popular in both the offroad 4x4 community and also the sailing community, since dyneema doesn't rust and loves water and UV light, and is pretty much chemically inert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY--UwBrem0&t=220s

The reason I'm effort-posting about this, is this is the first time i've seen dyneema used in consumer electronics products. It's great stuff, excited to see it used outside of fringe sports.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Delta-Wye posted:

This is good news!!! For Oculus!!

(:smith:)

Oh you dumb shortsighted fools.

Clearly Carmack is aiming to make digitized copies of himself so he can advance multiple fields simultaneously! :pseudo:.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, I can't be mad. Dude is rich enough and has enough clout to do whatever he fancies, so he is doing just that. He is living the scientist-nerd dream.
TBH, I feel he was getting bored with doing the same for decades since he was at id. Even when was only working at 3d engines before VR, that's why he started to do novel poo poo for novelty sake (megatextures) even when they had a lot of tradeoffs that didn't make it a good solution.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I still like the look of megatexture games, they do clutter like nothing else.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, I can't be mad. Dude is rich enough and has enough clout to do whatever he fancies, so he is doing just that. He is living the scientist-nerd dream.
TBH, I feel he was getting bored with doing the same for decades since he was at id. Even when was only working at 3d engines before VR, that's why he started to do novel poo poo for novelty sake (megatextures) even when they had a lot of tradeoffs that didn't make it a good solution.

Carmack also got into mobile phone game development for a while. No, not iphone/android, we're talking T9 flip phone games. Look up "orc & elves" engine which if I'm remembering the Quakecon 06 talk, he wrote most-all of it himself in C... I think it later got ported to some form of gameboy/nintendo handheld... possibly was a segway into VR development, he was talking about how much fun it was working within the contstraints of a low power system, which kind of mirrors what he was saying about the initial oculus devices

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Doom RPG fuckin' rules.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I read somewhere that on OC6, he seemed to complain that Oculus left a lot of low hanging fruit unclaimed, and that it seemed to irk him. Maybe there's been more going on backstage.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Hadlock posted:

Random sidenote, dyneema is a loving magic modern material, by volume it's as strong as steel, but it's so light it literally floats in/on water. It also has really good friction properties (extremely low) and is super soft so it's easy on the skin. This stuff has been around for about 30 years but was mostly restricted to seal team 6 stuff and america's cup world-class sailing competitions, but recently the chinese started making it and the price went from about $3.00 usd/ft down to about $0.10/ft; $1.00 usd/ft for the 14,000lb test stuff (1/4" braided rope)

Also it's hollow braided so you can splice it easily and make "soft shackles" which have been hugely popular in both the offroad 4x4 community and also the sailing community, since dyneema doesn't rust and loves water and UV light, and is pretty much chemically inert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY--UwBrem0&t=220s

The reason I'm effort-posting about this, is this is the first time i've seen dyneema used in consumer electronics products. It's great stuff, excited to see it used outside of fringe sports.

Non-vr post: You might be interested in

https://www.vollebak.com/product/indestructible-puffer-advance-access/

Which I really like but is four-fifths the price of the Index full kit I've been looking at, I'm not a rich enough man to buy both :shobon:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If anyone's interested in VR Development, HumbleBundle has no less than two software and asset bundles right now with VR courses and projects.

The Unreal Engine Game Development Bundle with a VR course in its top-most tier and a neat collection of asset packs to build with.

The Learn and Play VR/AR Game Dev Bundle, which is Unity-based and has courses on everything from making a basic 3D game to building VR projects. It also has several pre-built projects you can dissect and learn from.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stormlands is good.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the 20 minute gameplay video I watched made that objectively apparent...

Any news on the Oculus Link? You'd think the launch of the big deal Rift-only title would have coincided with it...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Non-vr post: You might be interested in

https://www.vollebak.com/product/indestructible-puffer-advance-access/

Which I really like but is four-fifths the price of the Index full kit I've been looking at, I'm not a rich enough man to buy both :shobon:

Yeah another name for dyneema-based composite fabrics is cuben-fiber, which... Loops back again to sailing, named after the boat it was first used on, America³, or America Cubed. That stuff is used in ultra high end camping equipment, and also racing sails, but turns a $2000 mainsail into a $5500 sail. It requires a sewing machine or special adhesive to work with so I haven't worked with it directly. Braided dyneema is great to work with as you don't need any special tools to put loops without know or attach it to things or other ropes.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I played the first hour or so of Stormland and I'm digging it so far. The game is pretty the locomotion feels good. I'm still in the tutorial type section so the combat so far is pretty simple and easy but the bad robots blow up pretty nicely. The slipstreaming you do across the cloud deck is cool it gives you a neat sensation of speed.

The world itself is big. You can climb to the top of an island and look way across the sector and can go to any island you can see.

mashed fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 14, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
well H3VR is adding the one thing I wanted most to the game:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The big thing I would miss about the Index controllers if I went back to Touch would be the ability to do the Ocelot gesture.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If anyone's interested in VR Development, HumbleBundle has no less than two software and asset bundles right now with VR courses and projects.

The Unreal Engine Game Development Bundle with a VR course in its top-most tier and a neat collection of asset packs to build with.

The Learn and Play VR/AR Game Dev Bundle, which is Unity-based and has courses on everything from making a basic 3D game to building VR projects. It also has several pre-built projects you can dissect and learn from.

Hmm, I was interested but it sounds like a lot of courses which I don't need and not much assets actually...

Lol one of these is using free assets I already have. I wonder if they have permission to redistribute... probably.

There have been some great asset bundles though, that's how I got half of my poo poo.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Jack Trades posted:

Stormlands is good.

Review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ3e3QbVEZA

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

It doesn't make it clear in the tutorial but when climbing you can throw yourself upwards a good ways so you can scale the sides of cliffs and buildings like a robot spiderman.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an Index just so I never have to deal with WMR and it's inability to remember boundaries. It's a 10 minute ordeal to get into VR now every time, separate headphones, iffy tracking up close or over head. Etc.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I wanna play Stormlands and I'd also like to get back into H3VR which I never gave a fair shake. what I'm saying is...

Link when

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

It has an awesome movement system, decent worlds, and absolutely awful combat IMO

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Failspace is also out in Early Access on Steam. Pretty much at the worst time they could've picked.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hellsau posted:

well H3VR is adding the one thing I wanted most to the game:

Goddamn finally. The number of times I've pulled a clip of ammo in take and hold and had no clue what the hell the colour-coding meant...

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Goddamn finally. The number of times I've pulled a clip of ammo in take and hold and had no clue what the hell the colour-coding meant...

Red/Green Tip = R/G Tracer
Grey Tip = Soft Tip / Hollowpoint
Black Tip = Armor Piercing
Blue Tip = Incendiary
White Tip = Armor Piercing + Incendiary

Also for pistol caliber rounds having a steel case instead of brass indicates a +P (extra pressure / more oomph) round.

That's about it, I think.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Stormland is boring as all hell. I regret spending an hour compiling the Revive patch so I could play it. Aiming and shooting alone just feels so clunky and unsatisfying. How do you mess that up in a VR game?

I think I'm just flat out not interested in whatever Oculus seems to consider a good mainstream VR experience. Asgard's Wrath and now Stormlands bored me to tears with how much they want you to just sit and stare at exhausting long winded cutscenes. I also can't really get over how interaction in both these games is clearly rooted in pancake-gaming design philosophy. I can barely interact with anything and what I can mess around with is always disappointing.

The more "hardcore" VR games like H3, Pavlov, Onward, and B&S feel like progressive and unique gaming experiences you can't do outside of VR. Even the less intensive games like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are great at feeling worth the stupid amount of money it takes to get into high end VR.

But Oculus seems hell bent on shoving old school theme-park style AAA experiences into a VR package. And it feels like it might be doing the entire medium a disservice as a result instead of getting the mainstream audience to buy a headset.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 15, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Calipark posted:

Stormland is boring as all hell. I regret spending an hour compiling the Revive patch so I could play it. Aiming and shooting alone just feels so clunky and unsatisfying. How do you mess that up in a VR game?

I think I'm just flat out not interested in whatever Oculus seems to consider a good mainstream VR experience. Asgard's Wrath and now Stormlands bored me to tears with how much they want you to just sit and stare at exhausting long winded cutscenes. I also can't really get over how interaction in both these games is clearly rooted in pancake-gaming design philosophy. I can barely interact with anything and what I can mess around with is always disappointing.

The more "hardcore" VR games like H3, Pavlov, Onward, and B&S feel like progressive and unique gaming experiences you can't do outside of VR. Even the less intensive games like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are great at feeling worth the stupid amount of money it takes to get into high end VR.

But Oculus seems hell bent on shoving old school theme-park style AAA experiences into a VR package. And it feels like it might be doing the entire medium a disservice as a result instead of getting the mainstream audience to buy a headset.

wut? Did we even play the same game?

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlatantBitterChickenDeIlluminati

https://clips.twitch.tv/KawaiiDoubtfulSparrowBatChest

https://clips.twitch.tv/GorgeousFamousMartenNerfBlueBlaster

The movement is incredibly dynamic, I love climbing around, jumping off of stuff, flying mid combat, the verticality of it. It's super visceral too, with the way stuff like reloading works; either pick up a new gun entirely, or you can tear another gun apart and it'll reload any gun you're carrying of the same type (this also gives you alloy which you use to upgrade your junk).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Lemming posted:

wut? Did we even play the same game?

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlatantBitterChickenDeIlluminati

https://clips.twitch.tv/KawaiiDoubtfulSparrowBatChest

https://clips.twitch.tv/GorgeousFamousMartenNerfBlueBlaster

The movement is incredibly dynamic, I love climbing around, jumping off of stuff, flying mid combat, the verticality of it. It's super visceral too, with the way stuff like reloading works; either pick up a new gun entirely, or you can tear another gun apart and it'll reload any gun you're carrying of the same type (this also gives you alloy which you use to upgrade your junk).

Could very well be because I'm playing on an Index instead of on native Oculus hardware. Those Twitch clips looked pretty fun! Still stand by the story elements though. Watching cutscenes in VR is boring as hell.