Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

edit: n/m

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lizard Combatant posted:

To clarify, most of that criticism was with the intro, pre taco guy. The split screen worked well for the rest of the video. But some additional graphics whether they're maps or whatnot would help.

More to-camera would probably help, but it'd certainly massively increase the work load. It's hard to articulate, but I don't quite get the personal stamp from the host yet. They're eloquent and professional, but I don't know what makes it their show. Maybe that's not what you're going for though, in which case I'd get to the guests quicker.

I understand what you're saying and I agree. Since people watch a travelogue series for the host's personality we do need to nail down what she does best and most comfortably. So we'll work on that. And making videos that are more to-the-point. Thank you again for all of this feedback.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 8, 2019

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Every loving goddamn time I export this one video from Premiere Pro it starts one of the audio tracks with a quick scratchy click sound that is not at all in the actual track and I can't figure out WHY

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unmature posted:

Every loving goddamn time I export this one video from Premiere Pro it starts one of the audio tracks with a quick scratchy click sound that is not at all in the actual track and I can't figure out WHY

Did you accidentally bake it into the clip by doing that merge effects tool?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Anyone still getting really slow renders out of AE? Or am I being a dummy for stubbornly not using Media Encoder?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Did you accidentally bake it into the clip by doing that merge effects tool?

I just dropped it into the timeline. Gonna mess around with it tonight and maybe upload a piece of it to show you guys

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Anyone still getting really slow renders out of AE? Or am I being a dummy for stubbornly not using Media Encoder?

"Still?" I mean renders out of AE and AME should be relatively the same (why aren't you using AME?). Render time is a product of scene complexity and computer strength so if you're experiencing slower than expected it's usually one of those two areas.

Short version: Gonna need a whole lot more info.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BonoMan posted:

"Still?" I mean renders out of AE and AME should be relatively the same (why aren't you using AME?). Render time is a product of scene complexity and computer strength so if you're experiencing slower than expected it's usually one of those two areas.

Short version: Gonna need a whole lot more info.

Convenience, I hate using AME for anything smaller than big batch exports. I thought 2019 launched with issues in this regard? I may just be underestimating the complexity of the comps I've been working in though.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Unmature posted:

Put like a one or two frame exponential fade. Premkre has a weird quirk with the first frame of audio.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Lizard Combatant posted:

Try BgrenderMax from aescripts. There's also another app called render garden. Both use more cores than AE.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

the_lion posted:

Try BgrenderMax from aescripts. There's also another app called render garden. Both use more cores than AE.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out!

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
I have a question for editors & post people working in small- and medium-sized post houses.

Our production company is growing. We've been working with big-name clients for some time and we're starting to sell projects that are larger in scope. Our old methods of data storage (primary work drives, many many backup drives) aren't going to cut it when it comes to projects like the hour-long documentary we just took on. Our largest storage method right now is a server that's primarily used for holding projects for clients that we're constantly referencing over and over.

What sort of methods are the most efficient for smaller post houses like ours that are going to take on big projects like this one? What do other post houses use? I'm sort of in the dark here, working in Dallas where there aren't too many post houses at a production company that I've been with since I got out of school. Just looking to hear what y'all think.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Clap posted:

I have a question for editors & post people working in small- and medium-sized post houses.

Our production company is growing. We've been working with big-name clients for some time and we're starting to sell projects that are larger in scope. Our old methods of data storage (primary work drives, many many backup drives) aren't going to cut it when it comes to projects like the hour-long documentary we just took on. Our largest storage method right now is a server that's primarily used for holding projects for clients that we're constantly referencing over and over.

What sort of methods are the most efficient for smaller post houses like ours that are going to take on big projects like this one? What do other post houses use? I'm sort of in the dark here, working in Dallas where there aren't too many post houses at a production company that I've been with since I got out of school. Just looking to hear what y'all think.

We're a 40 person ad agency with an 8 person dedicated video team (we were a production house and then joined - aka "were usurped by" - an ad agency 10 years ago).

For our video team we have dual 50TB QNAP NAS' (one replicates to the other). All 8 Windows machine connect via 10GbE and we edit directly off the central storage.

It's soooo nice. Was about $30K some years ago when we did it, but I'm putting together a smaller NAS setup for our interactive team that is much cheaper. Smaller QNAP NAS with 10GbE Connectivity connected to a $600 QNAP 10GbE switch and then, since those dorks are all on macs, Sonnet TB2 -> 10GbE adapters.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do you do for offsite backups? Or is the replica at a different location?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

powderific posted:

What do you do for offsite backups? Or is the replica at a different location?

No offsite backups. Boss won't pay for it. Welcome to small business!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BonoMan posted:

Want me to cryptolock your poo poo just to make a point?

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

BonoMan posted:

I know the feeling.

We have a studio and the post house is literally a second small house built on the same property about 30 feet away from the primary studio/office building. The landlord had a small family renting it when we first took over the studio but they moved out so he put some money into renovating it and viola, we got ourselves an honest to god Post House.

So anyway, one set of backups is in the studio and the other set of backups is in the post house. If the potential destruction is limited to one or the other, we're totally gravy! :keke:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alan Smithee posted:

Want me to cryptolock your poo poo just to make a point?

Man that actually happened to a different agency. Was not pretty.

I'm actually finally on the cusp of getting him to pay for it. We've finally hit a tipping point of paying for proper infrastructure. It's exciting... seeing a future where I don't wake up sweating in the middle of the night thinking something failed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Could always use the cautionary tale where Pixar nearly deleted toy story 2 and had to truck in a maternity leave producer’s server that was somehow still air gapped

Course boss man’s takeaway will probably be “good enough for Pixar good enough for me”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

Could always use the cautionary tale where Pixar nearly deleted toy story 2 and had to truck in a maternity leave producer’s server that was somehow still air gapped

Course boss man’s takeaway will probably be “good enough for Pixar good enough for me”

In that case someone accidentally did a “delete the root” command, but the one on maternity leave had been taking all the assets home to work. They just brought all her hard drives back in.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

The Clap posted:

If the potential destruction is limited to one or the other, we're totally gravy! :keke:
I heard a story from a post house of yore being completely burnt down from an idle candle left burning overnight and apparently the CRT monitors really helped fuel the blaze.

An entire project got lost as all of the master tapes went up.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Any broadcast goons here? I'm working on live virtual production with Unreal Engine 4 and studio cameras. We're using a Blackmagic Capture Card to capture UE4 video and send it to a switcher/compositor via SDI. During a full scale test, we noticed some significant lag between the footage from UE4 and the footage from the studio cameras, with UE4 being significantly behind. When we looked at the computer monitor, we noticed that there was no lag. It was even ahead of the image on the switcher.

Unfortunately this issue popped up towards the end of the day and my brain was fried from troubleshooting at that moment so I didn't gather any hard data or information on the settings so I'm working on a checklist of things to check for the next test.

• Could incorrect framerate settings have affected it? If one feed was running at 50fps and the other 25fps?
  • I'm reading the switcher manual and it seems to have a frame synchronisation feature. I didn't check the setting during the test but could this induce latency? Especially if I only have it activated on one input?
  • On the frame synchronisation feature, do I have to do anything special on the sources?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Adobe sucks a fat dick.

How can I get like, a big pack of green screen memes and commonly used footage by YouTubers, poo poo like that. Is that a thing. Am I owning myself. Do these forums even still exist in this world where what if phone but too much.

thank you

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Adobe sucks a fat dick.

How can I get like, a big pack of green screen memes and commonly used footage by YouTubers, poo poo like that. Is that a thing. Am I owning myself. Do these forums even still exist in this world where what if phone but too much.

thank you

There are many excellent resources available online.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I want to start editing 4k files. Will my laptop be able to handle them without taking hours to render?

I know there's a way to use proxies in Resolve but I've had it straight up crash from even trying to import HEVC files.

I have an i7-8650 and a GTX 1060. And 16 measly gigs of RAM. Non-upgradeable.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Thoren posted:

I want to start editing 4k files. Will my laptop be able to handle them without taking hours to render?

I know there's a way to use proxies in Resolve but I've had it straight up crash from even trying to import HEVC files.

I have an i7-8650 and a GTX 1060. And 16 measly gigs of RAM. Non-upgradeable.

Definitely would recommend proxies to make life easier, but I guess it depends on what kind of editing you're doing? Cutting a big 4k timeline, especially in Resolve isnt going to be much fun at all. Proxies creation will likely chug a bit, but a better answer needs a bit more info. What kind of source files (cam/codec), are you accessing files off of hdd or ssd, what do you want to render your finals as, etc...?

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 18, 2020

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Definitely would recommend proxies to make life easier, but I guess it depends on what kind of editing you're doing? Cutting a big 4k timeline, especially in Resolve isnt going to be much fun at all. Proxies creation will likely chug a bit, but a better answer needs a bit more info. What kind of source files (cam/codec), are you accessing files off of hdd or ssd, what do you want to render your finals as, etc...?

What I've tested so far have been 4k H.265 files from my GoPro Hero 7 Black. I plan on getting a new Fujifilm camera which does 4k 8-bit recording internally, though I honestly have no idea what that means yet. I'll probably mostly do 4k 30fps.*

I'll transfer all my files to my SSD before loading them into resolve.

I would like to render 4k files but I could settle for a downscaled 1440p or 1080p if 4k takes too long.

Sorry for my cluelessness, and thanks for the help.

* Meant to type 4k 30 fps whoops.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 19, 2020

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
instead of proxy clips you could also reencode them to something less taxing on hardware like prores, that way you could still do cc

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Aix posted:

instead of proxy clips you could also reencode them to something less taxing on hardware like prores, that way you could still do cc

Can you recommend some similar programs for someone on a PC without creative cloud?

I want to give this a test run tonight.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Thoren posted:

Can you recommend some similar programs for someone on a PC without creative cloud?

I want to give this a test run tonight.

I'm not aware of any free software that'll transcode to ProRes on Windows. You could always sign up for a free trial of CC just to transcode?

Personally I'd use DNxHR for 4k on Windows if you're cutting in Resolve.

But if you're just stitching clips together and you don't need smooth playback (like for cutting a dramatic scene, etc...) then you could probably just push through the pain of choppy Resolve timeliness and avoid having to transcode to ProRes or DNxHR and then render back to h264 for youtube or where ever it's going.

So what do you want to do, where is it going and how long is "too long" to wait for an export?

e: oh wait the initial issue is resolve crashing on import of your gopro files... Probably need to troubleshoot that first...

Bit of a dilemma. Can't transcode if you can't import. Ffmpeg will go h265 to DNxHR but it's not exactly user friendly. It's command line only.

There are interfaces available, here's one that looks alright. I haven't used it personally but it should get the job done and it's free.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 19, 2020

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
yeah, id just do the 30 day trial of adobe media encoder, just to see if this works. dnxhr seems like the right choice for windows systems. ffmpeg would probably work too, though really i never use it for anything other than h264 as it cant even push out an op1a file comforming to avids expectations, no matter how exact you are with the parameters

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Aix posted:

yeah, id just do the 30 day trial of adobe media encoder, just to see if this works. dnxhr seems like the right choice for windows systems. ffmpeg would probably work too, though really i never use it for anything other than h264 as it cant even push out an op1a file comforming to avids expectations, no matter how exact you are with the parameters

Doing some reading and I think you can do prores with it too but you might run into similar issues of certain software not recognising it as such. Haven't had that problem personally, but I've been using CC for that since they got the license for Windows prores.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 19, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah the latest AME does ProRes on Windows machines. loving finally.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I’m trying to remember what a video effect is called, and I’m having an impossible time looking it up. It’s where you use a still shot with something moving, and you split the video into a bunch of vertical or horizontal lines and you delay the playback of each one at a time, so that the video looks like it’s waving or twirling. There’s an app called Time Warp that does this, but I also remember and art film from the 1980’s that did this.

I also recall there’s some way to achieve this in a video editing program like Premier.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
like in mv for muse - unintended, right? thats time displacement in ae, but im sure theres lots of plugins as well

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Good Sphere posted:

I’m trying to remember what a video effect is called, and I’m having an impossible time looking it up. It’s where you use a still shot with something moving, and you split the video into a bunch of vertical or horizontal lines and you delay the playback of each one at a time, so that the video looks like it’s waving or twirling. There’s an app called Time Warp that does this, but I also remember and art film from the 1980’s that did this.

I also recall there’s some way to achieve this in a video editing program like Premier.

this the one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nuS3INbEQs

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I've been using Da Vinci for years and ever since the update from 15 to 16 I keep running into this problem:

https://ibb.co/ZBwTNP2

For reasons unknown to me, that giant blank space (circled in red) pops up and I can't figure out how to turn it back to normal. It takes up so much space on my screen because I'm editing on a laptop. Anybody know how to disable it?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

WerthersWay posted:

I've been using Da Vinci for years and ever since the update from 15 to 16 I keep running into this problem:

https://ibb.co/ZBwTNP2

For reasons unknown to me, that giant blank space (circled in red) pops up and I can't figure out how to turn it back to normal. It takes up so much space on my screen because I'm editing on a laptop. Anybody know how to disable it?

It might be because you have the keyframe section expanded. Click the icon in the green circle (see my edited screenshot below) to minimize and close it. If that doesn't work, you might have another object that's outside of your current timeline view with the same keyframe section expanded. Try that.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
This is really more of an audio question and maybe might be better for the audio hardware quick questions thread even? but it's about editing so I'm gonna ask here; please let me know if there's a better place to ask.

I'm finally getting around to wanting to shoot some cycling videos. I live in Asia and tool around various places cycling which is pretty cool to see in my mind so kinda wanted to take some decent video with decent audio.

I've got an audio recorder I mount to my bike with a/some omnidirectional lav mics for atmospheric sound, but I'm finding that if I have a gain set high enough to get decent sound during some cases (when I'm stopped, etc.) it blows the gently caress out of my mic between cars and wind when I'm moving. Is mounting two mics with different gain and fading between them (given the fairly clear in time demarcation between when the mic is getting blown out; i.e. when moving at speed vs not moving/slow moving) as needed something I should approach? Or should I just leave it low as I think I need and boost the quiet moments? At what point would I be messing badly with what I'm picking up by boosting the quiet stuff?

For example, this is a mounting/gear setup shakedown I ran:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_wHf68t7Ag

Note this is garbo quality due to previously mentioned audio issues (also a lovely overcast day, and at one point the mic literally worked its way out of the recorder) and I haven't edited it at all, but I like the sound I'm getting in "quieter" times, but the gain setting just doesn't work with the range of noise I'm getting for example around 23:00 when it's blown by the wind (earphone warning btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
I have a question regarding editing. (I've been editing for 9 years and a half and am still trash :v: ) I read somewhere that x264/5 is terrible for editing, and using 'editing codec' files (like Lagarith, which I'm aware of) is better. Does this mean the stress load on PC performance will be smaller if I use .avi files Lagarith? And is there a good and easy way to transcode said files to said codec without much hassle?