Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Oh my God I just found X-Men and Spiderman series from the 90's in Disney+. I'm going back to being a teenager again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rad Valtar posted:

Oh my God I just found X-Men and Spiderman series from the 90's in Disney+. I'm going back to being a teenager again.

I hope you can really get yourself into that 90s mindset because they really don't hold up.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yes both of those suck rear end

Most children’s cartoons regardless of era suck rear end

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Tim Whatley posted:

FWIW I think this is kind of overshadowed but it sounds like even if you have Hulu w/ no ads you can get a $6 monthly credit towards Disney+

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/12/20962050/disney-plus-hulu-bundle-how-to-sign-up

I signed up on that D23 3 year deal so I'm just sort of set for a while, but might be worth looking into.

Ah bummer, there's no bundle that is just Disney+ and Hulu without Ads. The $5.99 credit is off of the $12.99 Disney/Hulu/Espn+ bundle.

So it adds up:
Hulu Ad Free - 11.99
Disney/Espn/Hulu - 12.99
5.99 credit - (5.99)
Total of 18.99 per month.

I was hoping to add Disney for some kind of discount but it's either pay full price for each separately or do this bundle and get ESPN+ for the same price.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

It also never occurred to me that they could easily just have the Mandalorian meet different individual droids of the same model.

It's IG-88, I won't be convinced otherwise, there isn't anyone I could be confusing him with this time, and any promo material with him is a GoT Sean Bean type thing, head canon

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 14, 2019

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yes both of those suck rear end

Most children’s cartoons regardless of era suck rear end

I queued up Spider Man and his Amazing Friends, and quickly realized that 7 year old me was a loving idiot.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Please tell me that Gargoyles still rules :ohdear:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

beanieson posted:

Please tell me that Gargoyles still rules :ohdear:

It's better than most of the rest from that time, just because the animation is better and the characters were actually pretty well written for a kid's show.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So far I am enjoying Disney+. I just have one problem with their presentation. If a title is not available to stream on the platform, don't list it. Especially if it's a year or more out from being available. There were some movies I was thinking about watch only to see a message on the page about the previous streaming agreements making the title unavailable till later. Most of these seem to be titles that would become available in late 2020 and some in 2021.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

mateo360 posted:

So far I am enjoying Disney+. I just have one problem with their presentation. If a title is not available to stream on the platform, don't list it. Especially if it's a year or more out from being available. There were some movies I was thinking about watch only to see a message on the page about the previous streaming agreements making the title unavailable till later. Most of these seem to be titles that would become available in late 2020 and some in 2021.

Yeah that's pretty cynical on their part, but I guess they figure "new service, let them know that the things that aren't here yet will be eventually" but there's so much stuff already they probably didn't need to

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
https://deadline.com/2019/11/disney-content-warnings-in-films-causes-stir-1202785527/

article posted:

The disclaimer states: “This program is presented as originally created. It may contain outdated cultural depictions.” Some titles are also warning of “tobacco depictions,” a common viewing tool in films of the past that now is taboo in family fare.

Also getting the “outdated” warning: The Jungle Book (1967), Fantasia (1940), Swiss Family Robinson (1940, 1960), The Aristocats (1970). Peter Pan (1953), Lady and the Tramp (1955) and The Sign of Zorro (1958). Mickey Mouse shorts from the 1920s through the 1940s are also flagged.

Perhaps surprisingly, the films Pocahontas, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast and Snow White did not get a warning.

What kind of "outdated cultural depictions" are in any of those films they said didn't get the warning? I'm pretty sure they at least did research for Pocahontas and Mulan

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Snow White’s depiction of dwarves is pretty Problematic.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

mateo360 posted:

https://deadline.com/2019/11/disney-content-warnings-in-films-causes-stir-1202785527/

What kind of "outdated cultural depictions" are in any of those films they said didn't get the warning? I'm pretty sure they at least did research for Pocahontas and Mulan

Wikipedia posted:

Pocahontas' real name was Matoaka. "Pocahontas" was only a nickname, and it can variously be translated to "little wanton", "playful one", "little brat" or "the naughty one".[142] In the film, Pocahontas is a young adult; in reality, she was around 10 or 11 at the time John Smith arrived with the Virginia Company in 1607. John Smith was 28.[142]

Smith is portrayed as an amiable man; in reality, he was described as having a harsh exterior and a very authoritarian personality by his fellow colonists.[142]

Historically, there is no evidence of a romantic relationship emerging between Pocahontas and John Smith.[143] Whether or not Pocahontas saved Smith's life is debated.[144] English colonists led by Samuel Argall captured Pocahontas three years after John Smith departed for England; she converted to Christianity in Henricus and later married John Rolfe, who was known for introducing tobacco as a cash crop

mystes
May 31, 2006

Presumably the standard for what content gets the "outdated cultural depictions" message is more like "Does this movie contain racist caricatures?" and less like "Is this movie an inherently problematic depiction of colonialism?"

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
that's more a historical problem and not a cultural depiction problem

EDIT:

mystes posted:

Presumably the standard for what content gets the "outdated cultural depictions" message is more like "Does this movie contain racist caricatures?" and less like "Is this movie an inherently problematic depiction of colonialism?"

Yeah that's why I question why the article called out those movies specifically.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I figure Disney isn’t going to put content warnings on their relatively recent movies like Pocahontas and will just use it for stuff that’s like 50 years old. It’s a bit harder to use the “well, it was a different time back then...” excuse for things from the 90s.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Pre title reminder to make sure you schedule 101 vaccinations

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To me at least, The Mandalorian feels like the type of thing Disney should have been doing with Star Wars in the first place. I find myself liking all the side story type stuff (this, Rogue one, even Solo) so much more than the new trilogy.

They should have earned it for a few years, sold people on Disney Star Wars, then busted out new trilogy.

Of course the new trilogy makes an insane amount of money so I’m sure Disney doesn’t give a gently caress, but I think I’d be more open to it in general if they had spent a few years to make Disneys take on SW grow on me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This Jeff Goldblum show is like Snakes on a plane levels of running a meme into the ground

Also Green Eggs and Ham, the series? Really?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've enjoyed the newest trilogy stuff so far.

That said, Rogue One was the best SW film since the originals imo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Have anyone watched High School Musical: The Movie: The Series yet? I thought it's a simple reboot, but apparently it's a mockumentary about students at the high school where they filmed High School Musical organising a play based on High School Musical.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

That Works posted:

I've enjoyed the newest trilogy stuff so far.

That said, Rogue One was the best SW film since the originals imo.

Yeah I thought the non-trilogy trilogy was better than the new actual episodes they came up with

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Inspector Hound posted:

Yeah I thought the non-trilogy trilogy was better than the new actual episodes they came up with

There’s only two non-trilogy movies??

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Blast Fantasto posted:

There’s only two non-trilogy movies??

Oh, I always feel like there's a third one I'm forgetting haha.

E though I guess this does make it a non-trilogy in the purest sense

vv the gorax is canon vv

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They're talking about the other non-movie trilogy: the ewok movies and the holiday special.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clearly the original theatrical release of Star Wars, which wasn't titled "Episode IV" yet, is part of the non-trilogy trilogy with Rogue One and Han Solo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

feedmyleg posted:

They're talking about the other non-movie trilogy: the ewok movies and the holiday special.

The first Ewok movie is deathly boring, but the second one is watchable at least.

Mainly because Wilford Brimley is in it

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Steve Yun posted:

This Jeff Goldblum show is like Snakes on a plane levels of running a meme into the ground

Also Green Eggs and Ham, the series? Really?

Have tried watching it in a house? With a mouse?
Have you watched it in a box? Or with a fox?

Because its actually really good. Like absurdly good. Assuming your into animation, that is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barring the Mandalorian, looking through Disney+ and realizing this service has virtually nothing for me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Can't believe how amazing stuff like the theatrical cartoon shorts look and the 4K HDR versions of The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron.

They only released a single volume Blu-ray of HD versions of some Mickey shorts, but there's some quite stunning versions of 30s Silly Symphonies up. Not just looking good, the sound remastering on stuff like The Three Little Pigs is impressive.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Paper Kaiju posted:

Because its actually really good. Like absurdly good. Assuming your into animation, that is.

Really? It’s terrible! None of the jokes are funny!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Paper Kaiju posted:

:Sighs:
If you will leave me be,
I will try it.
You will see.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Egbert Souse posted:

Can't believe how amazing stuff like the theatrical cartoon shorts look and the 4K HDR versions of The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron.

They only released a single volume Blu-ray of HD versions of some Mickey shorts, but there's some quite stunning versions of 30s Silly Symphonies up. Not just looking good, the sound remastering on stuff like The Three Little Pigs is impressive.

Yeah it's really awesome that they gave some of those older toons some love. Everyone needs to dig into those shorts, Pixar included.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

Barring the Mandalorian, looking through Disney+ and realizing this service has virtually nothing for me.

This is my issue. Outside of Star Wars stuff I could not give a poo poo about anything Disney has made.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Klaus on Netflix has gorgeous art and animation. The story is both something you expect from a Christmas movie (there's plot about a jerk finding his conscience, a man recovering from tragedy, and both ending a conflict), but also interesting since it's technically about the origin of Santa Claus but it's not entirely fantasy except for maybe the ending. Props for the including the Sami people in a movie set way up North in Europe too.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
High Rise is on TubiTV. It's the movie that finally made me like Ben Wheatly after going through several of his movies and thinking I hate this but he could make a really good movie.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah once Mandalorian is over I don't see any reason to stay subscribed.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
You can always come back for the Obi Wan series.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I was all excited that we were experiencing the greatest period in TV ever, with the most tv shows with best production value and best writing. But now it’s becoming apparent that the writers are being stretched thin and we are drowning, absolutely flooded in a bunch of B- TV that I just don’t have the time for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mystes posted:

Clearly the original theatrical release of Star Wars, which wasn't titled "Episode IV" yet, is part of the non-trilogy trilogy with Rogue One and Han Solo.

Why not consider the original 1977 Star Wars in its original form a separate stand alone movie different from Star Wars Episode IV -- A New Hope which includes all the edits and added and restored stuff? They'd be able to sell the same product twice and have it fit into two different groups of movies.