Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

liziqi videos rule

also i left academia behind and i'm wandering around / living in china now so if y'all have any questions just ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

just spent an hour dealing with printers and dns

hell of bump

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

lord funk posted:

liziqi videos rule

also i left academia behind and i'm wandering around / living in china now so if y'all have any questions just ask

how do actual chinese people feel about liziqi? i've read a little bit of stuff that suggest she is somehow propaganda or something but i went to school in america so i was taught next to nothing about china and have no idea if that criticism is remotely valid or even coming from a real person

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

how do actual chinese people feel about liziqi? i've read a little bit of stuff that suggest she is somehow propaganda or something but i went to school in america so i was taught next to nothing about china and have no idea if that criticism is remotely valid or even coming from a real person

i asked a few people and none of them knew her. they said it's just beautiful videos of traditional things, just made to look really pretty.

of course life here isn't like the videos at all, but that's the same for any travel vlogger videos. i will say one thing about the videos is pretty realistic: people here loooove to farm. i live in a huge city and any patch of dirt gets turned into a little patch of veggies.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

lord funk posted:

people here loooove to farm. i live in a huge city and any patch of dirt gets turned into a little patch of veggies.

that is pretty cool

i can't help but worry about soil quality in the city, but i'd love to at least have space for some decorative plants

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

lord funk posted:

people here loooove to farm. i live in a huge city and any patch of dirt gets turned into a little patch of veggies.

:3:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

bump

i dont want the wilderness, i just want less enterprise programming and more music and otherwise creative stuff in my life

how to pivot from computer toucher to a creative person ... i dont know

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
work at an independent coffee shop or dive bar and immerse yourself in the real(er) world

still one of the best professional experiences of my life, and the pay wasn't actually bad (behind a bar)

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Quit ur job and wander off into an artists commune never to be seen again

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
Want to dick off for a week into the grey wet rainy garbage weather and sleep in my hammock tent and eat beans and look at birds with my lovely binoculars and not talk to anyone.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

psiox posted:

work at an independent coffee shop or dive bar and immerse yourself in the real(er) world

still one of the best professional experiences of my life, and the pay wasn't actually bad (behind a bar)

if you’re in the us then only do this after moving to a country with health care

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
bump

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Scud Hansen posted:

Want to dick off for a week into the grey wet rainy garbage weather and sleep in my hammock tent and eat beans and look at birds with my lovely binoculars and not talk to anyone.

Same. A lot lately I feel like I just want to disappear into the woods and read. Or watch a fire and draw or look at the stars.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

got an ebike this weekend, couldn't resist $1k off a $2k bike even if it's a low end bike

can get the eight miles to town and back far more easily now, breathing hard instead of an exhausted wreck

so far, plan gently caress Cars Forever is proceeding apace; only driven once in three weeks now :)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

plan gently caress Cars Forever
currently executing said plan. status: green

the only exception to plan FCF is to live in a van and be a hippy earth wanderer

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bump with a pic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like around Kaikoura?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
bump af

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

echinopsis posted:

Looks like around Kaikoura?

yea kaikoura city next to the “fyffe house” ruin out on the peninsula

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

bump

changing jobs/teams: work in progress

finding a band to play drums in: should post an ad somewhere

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
solar panels melting their snow load off rapidly now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG posted:

yea kaikoura city next to the “fyffe house” ruin out on the peninsula

just visiting or you live around that part of the countyr?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

echinopsis posted:

just visiting or you live around that part of the countyr?

just visiting with some family, normally up in welly otherwise. folks are old so we didn’t really do any hiking or anything this time but got to see a bunch of areas

another picture bump, from a trail head at the Lewis Pass

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
amazing. lewis pass is obscenely green and old-growth

anyone looking at that picture at the musty light-green colour - its all lichen

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

plan gently caress Cars hit a minor snag today: the local buses are ok with ebikes but mine has tires that're too wide for the rack :doh:

anyone here used eGo carshares by chance? that's probably going to be my go-to when i must have a car

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I think I need to start getting camping gear. It would probably do me some good.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
planning to wander off into the woods for a spell tomorrow

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bump

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

i have some bad news guys. tech is inescapable now and there aren't any woods left to wander off into

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wrong

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
im leaving tech behind and wandering off into the high arctic for a bit. any Ny-Ålesund 'POSers hmu if you want to get a drink some time before i head further north

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

oh wow the same island as the svalbard vault

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
yeah sadly you can't usually get access to the vault but a scientist friend of mine got a private tour and it looks really cool from the photos

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

owlhawk911 posted:

i have some bad news guys. tech is inescapable now and there aren't any woods left to wander off into

Like 80 percent of Canada is inaccessible by road, starting at little as four hours north of the US border

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

big scary monsters posted:

yeah sadly you can't usually get access to the vault but a scientist friend of mine got a private tour and it looks really cool from the photos

it would be awesome and absolutely terrifying to visit it even if you couldnt enter imo

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

mt. abraham in vermont last fall, right after a storm. the clouds way in the background are over the presidential range in nh

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 3, 2020

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

Like 80 percent of Canada is inaccessible by road, starting at little as four hours north of the US border

2hrs north of fairbanks yet somehow cannot stop shitposting. also those woods are mostly good for dying in, unless you bring the proper tech to survive... poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

me waking up beneath carbon fiber tent poles, dressing in layers of space-age synthetic fibers, making sure my dslr is charged up to get dope pics to post later: ahh, sure glad i escaped tech