Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Solitair posted:

The book was decent, but I like the movie a lot more.

There are three books but they're mostly backtracking and describing stairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

One of the inspirations was the true story of the Lighthouse Tragedy of 1801, which took place off the west coast of Wales:

lol cool

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

What are some literary sources that inspired or relate to The Lighthouse?

It was hyped up with comparisons to Lovecraft, which is mostly a misguided comparison. I can see more inspiration from Edgar Allen Poe, Shirley Jackson and some Algernon Blackwood, and it's hard not to think about Moby-Dick at points. Anyone else see any parallels to stories or authors?

Eggers directly mentioned having studied the works of Sarah Orne Jewett, a Maine-based poet and novelist, and mentioned 'Tales of New England' and 'Strangers and Wayfarers', but those are mostly inspired by interviews and people she met. Not really horror or suspense.

the myths of prometheus, also proteus

the rime of the ancient mariner

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

What are some literary sources that inspired or relate to The Lighthouse?

It was hyped up with comparisons to Lovecraft, which is mostly a misguided comparison. I can see more inspiration from Edgar Allen Poe, Shirley Jackson and some Algernon Blackwood, and it's hard not to think about Moby-Dick at points. Anyone else see any parallels to stories or authors?

Eggers directly mentioned having studied the works of Sarah Orne Jewett, a Maine-based poet and novelist, and mentioned 'Tales of New England' and 'Strangers and Wayfarers', but those are mostly inspired by interviews and people she met. Not really horror or suspense.

I'd recommend the psychological Gothic horror that was written during the 1890s. Stories like The Yellow Wallpaper or novels like Turn of the Screw or The Great God Pan. Arthur Machen in particular would be an author to check out. I think the Lovecraft comparisons were drawn because Lovecraft himself was so taken with those stories.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 6, 2019

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The biggest Lovecraftian parallel I found in The Lighthouse would have to be "The Temple." Both stories focus heavily on isolation and are somewhere between psychological and supernatural horror. Plus you have eerie graven images that take on almost religious significance in both stories. In The Lighthouse it's a scrimshaw mermaid and in "The Temple" it's a small ivory carving of a Grecian youth

And since Winslow is a Canadian timber man you could always read Blackwood's "The Wendigo" :v:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

pospysyl posted:

I think the Lovecraft comparisons were drawn because Lovecraft himself was so taken with those stories.

no dude its because of the tentacles

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

unpacked robinhood posted:

There are three books but they're mostly backtracking and describing stairs

are they insulated?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

chernobyl kinsman posted:

no dude its because of the tentacles

And the whole person guarding an entry point for mind-breaking knowledge / looking into the light for "true ecstasy". That aspect is similar to Lovecraft's The Music of Erich Zann and Pickman's Model, although The Lighthouse is much more ambiguous.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Just finished reading The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch. I never would have thought a blend of True Detective/Silence of the Lambs murder solving with cosmic horror & time travel would work so well but it did! If you're a stickler you might not consider this horror but personally the gruesome murders mixed with sense of doom hanging over everything made it one of the scariest books I've read in a while.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

plz dont pull out posted:

Just finished reading The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch. I never would have thought a blend of True Detective/Silence of the Lambs murder solving with cosmic horror & time travel would work so well but it did! If you're a stickler you might not consider this horror but personally the gruesome murders mixed with sense of doom hanging over everything made it one of the scariest books I've read in a while.

Oh yeah I read this and forgot to post about it, it's really good.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

plz dont pull out posted:

this has been on my amazon wishlist for a while, i should pick it up

andrew michael hurley, who writes very slow-paced, uneventful, atmospheric folk horror has a new book out. i think im the only person in this thread who likes him

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

this has been on my amazon wishlist for a while, i should pick it up

andrew michael hurley, who writes very slow-paced, uneventful, atmospheric folk horror has a new book out. i think im the only person in this thread who likes him

I read The Loney and I'm not sure whether I thought it was boring as hell or pretty good. Maybe both? I doubt I'd ever read it again and I'm not sure I'd recommend it unless I was really confident I knew somebody's tastes, but I don't really regret reading it or anything

I guess that's praise so faint it'll need smelling salts handy, but that's honestly the best way I can describe my feelings on the book.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

MockingQuantum posted:

I read The Loney and I'm not sure whether I thought it was boring as hell or pretty good.

this has been my exact feeling about both of his books so far but i like the atmosphere and the folk horror poo poo so im gonna keep reading him

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

this has been my exact feeling about both of his books so far but i like the atmosphere and the folk horror poo poo so im gonna keep reading him

There was definitely a point in The Loney where I thought "this book is not going the direction I thought it would, at all" and after I got over the brief disappointment and just tried to take the book on its own merits I enjoyed it a lot more. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the new one. Is Devil's Day kind of on par with The Loney in terms of pacing and.. intensity? I assume you'll know what I mean by that. I would be open to reading it, but if it's more or less like The Loney I would probably wait a bit before picking it up.

Honestly I love folk horror enough that I think that sustained me through the blander parts of The Loney, I wish there was more out there that fell somewhere between The Loney and more conventional horror writing. (maybe there is and I'm just not aware of it, though.)

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Finished a few horror novels as that's generally all I read in September and October:

North American Lake Monsters: Loved most of this collection. Wish Ballingrud had more satisfying endings in general, but pretty incredible mood setting.

Wounds: Slight preference to this over NALM, but definitely different vibe. First and last stories were so loving great, and I wish I could read longer stories set in that world.

Institute and Firestarter: Agree with all the previous comments about both especially regarding their endings.

Song for the Unraveling of the World: Didn't love this. Started out with a pretty creepy atmosphere, but the rest felt like a kinda bad Ballingrud knock-off. Was pretty bored by the end.

Intensity: Only my second ever Koontz novel (with Phantoms back in middle school being my first). Definitely gripping and enjoyed the Edgler Vess character. Any recommendations from this crew on other Koontz books worth reading? Maybe less serial killer, more supernatural?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The Polish Pirate posted:

Finished a few horror novels as that's generally all I read in September and October:

North American Lake Monsters: Loved most of this collection. Wish Ballingrud had more satisfying endings in general, but pretty incredible mood setting.

Wounds: Slight preference to this over NALM, but definitely different vibe. First and last stories were so loving great, and I wish I could read longer stories set in that world.

Institute and Firestarter: Agree with all the previous comments about both especially regarding their endings.

Song for the Unraveling of the World: Didn't love this. Started out with a pretty creepy atmosphere, but the rest felt like a kinda bad Ballingrud knock-off. Was pretty bored by the end.

Intensity: Only my second ever Koontz novel (with Phantoms back in middle school being my first). Definitely gripping and enjoyed the Edgler Vess character. Any recommendations from this crew on other Koontz books worth reading? Maybe less serial killer, more supernatural?

Watchers is probably the best book Koontz ever wrote.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Admittedly I've never read either of those (I think) but I have never read a Koontz book and actually enjoyed it. I read five or six over the course of high school and college, always thinking that maybe I just got a dud the last time or something, but they were all pretty aggressively mediocre and forgettable IMO. He read like a more consistent but more boring Stephen King if I remember right.

Also my aunt has a copy of his book on writing from the 70s or whatever and it is amazing how transparently greedy and condescending he is towards his fans (and anybody who buys books in general honestly). It basically reads like thinly veiled statements of "these dumbasses will buy anything, as long as you write it for the lowest common denominator." I didn't read the whole thing but he breaks down individual genres and how to write them but in practice it's like the pre-internet version of people that unironically use TVTropes terms in writing guides like they're constructing some kind of chemical equation of writing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MockingQuantum posted:

Admittedly I've never read either of those (I think) but I have never read a Koontz book and actually enjoyed it. I read five or six over the course of high school and college, always thinking that maybe I just got a dud the last time or something, but they were all pretty aggressively mediocre and forgettable IMO. He read like a more consistent but more boring Stephen King if I remember right.

Also my aunt has a copy of his book on writing from the 70s or whatever and it is amazing how transparently greedy and condescending he is towards his fans (and anybody who buys books in general honestly). It basically reads like thinly veiled statements of "these dumbasses will buy anything, as long as you write it for the lowest common denominator." I didn't read the whole thing but he breaks down individual genres and how to write them but in practice it's like the pre-internet version of people that unironically use TVTropes terms in writing guides like they're constructing some kind of chemical equation of writing.

This nails King/Koontz.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Koontz will find some stereotype or trope that sells one book and run it straight into the ground over the next 7 books. For awhile it was a young disabled orphan that had an attitude but was going to die if not saved. Dogs, god half his books are about dogs in some way. And odd Thomas which just was meh incarnate for a series.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Sounds like I should leave Koontz alone for a while. I've gone through basically every recommendation in this thread so I was hungry for a bit more horror.

Currently reading The Troop, but I'm too early into it to know how good it is yet.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Currently reading The Troop, but I'm too early into it to know how good it is yet.

its jolly good fun!

i just finished koji suzuki's RING and enjoyed it a lot! the first japanese horror novel ive read that hasnt been a comic. are Spiral and Loop worth checking out? also hit me up with other good japanese horror stories

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

alf_pogs posted:

its jolly good fun!

i just finished koji suzuki's RING and enjoyed it a lot! the first japanese horror novel ive read that hasnt been a comic. are Spiral and Loop worth checking out? also hit me up with other good japanese horror stories

they get progressively more bizarre (lot of stuff about sadako's balls in Spiral) and more sci-fi. Loop is completely sci-fi

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I liked Intensity back in grade school and also the movie with a younger John C McGinley at the time, but I worry that it probably hasn't aged well so I don't want to go back and re-read it.

As people have mentioned, Koontz is absolutely a hack, but he's an influential hack. I don't know if Phantoms was good as a novel, but I liked the movie, and so apparently did the Silent Hill dev team. I totally recommend 77 Shadow Street if you want to want to see Dean try to rip off Silent Hill and fail utterly and completely while throwing in some republican bullshit along the way. I unironically liked the first half of The Taking, for whatever that's worth.

When I was younger I watched Lost Highway and got really, really confused and shocked when the plot didn't match Strange Highways which I had confused with it.

I don't know about the novels, but the film of Odd Thomas is so extraordinarily, overwhelmingly bad that I was wondering at times if the director was trying to make fun of the source material. I'd recommend it if you really like bad movies and don't end up paying money to see it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Koontz also has some very weird and lovely political and social views. He has this weird habit of decrying fascism, and specifically Nazism (his family is Jewish and had some relatives die in the Holocaust if I remember right) while in the same breath praising something like Invasion of the Body Snatchers as being powerful for its representation of how science can't fill the void that atheism has torn in our formerly spiritual and religious cultural foundation (and somehow tie in some very quiet dogwhistles about how immigrants are bad, too)

Also there was that time a few years ago where he was absolutely, totally befuddled as to why calling the Japanese CEO of Universal Pictures "Mr. Teriyaki" and suggesting they eat at Benihana's and discuss the Bataan Death March might be construed as a little bit racist.

I think at the end of the day he's probably just a run of the mill dumb white Libertarian boomer with religious leanings, which honestly doesn't distinguish him from literally any other airport fiction hack.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 14, 2019

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i liked koontz’s The Taking despite its predictable story....pretty good horror elements in there

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

i liked koontz’s The Taking despite its predictable story....pretty good horror elements in there

is that the one where satan is orbiting the earth in a spaceship or am i confusing it with another one of koontz' very very bad novels

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Koontz is fine reading for middle school, I think - at least that's when I read his books.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

is that the one where satan is orbiting the earth in a spaceship or am i confusing it with another one of koontz' very very bad novels

yea —— thats the one lol

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Can't remember the title, but I read this book by Koontz where he made sure to mention that the protagonist made his wife/girlfriend cum three times before he came himself like a true gentleman. There was also a a novel about time travelling Nazis, another one about a dog that was given human intelligence by the CIA, a poor Firestarter knock-off, and something about the CIA putting mind-controlling drugs in water with several detailed passages describing how the antagonist used said mind control to molest women.

What I'm saying is that Koontz is a horrible hack and I can't believe how many lovely horror novels I read in my youth.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I feel like this could describe a number of his novels, though I don't specifically remember that in this one.

EDIT: There's an evil spaceship anyway.

MockingQuantum posted:

Also there was that time a few years ago where he was absolutely, totally befuddled as to why calling the Japanese CEO of Universal Pictures "Mr. Teriyaki" and suggesting they eat at Benihana's and discuss the Bataan Death March might be construed as a little bit racist.

You know, the depiction of him in Midnight Pals seems more realistic than I had previously given the author credit for.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MockingQuantum posted:

Koontz also has some very weird and lovely political and social views. He has this weird habit of decrying fascism, and specifically Nazism (his family is Jewish and had some relatives die in the Holocaust if I remember right) while in the same breath praising something like Invasion of the Body Snatchers as being powerful for its representation of how science can't fill the void that atheism has torn in our formerly spiritual and religious cultural foundation (and somehow tie in some very quiet dogwhistles about how immigrants are bad, too)

I think at the end of the day he's probably just a run of the mill dumb white Libertarian boomer with religious leanings, which honestly doesn't distinguish him from literally any other airport fiction hack.

Strangers/i] was good. Phantoms was good. [i]Watchers was really good. Then Koontz went on this lengthy hosed up bit about some kind of ginormous atheist conspiracy bullshit and just crapped away every bit of good will I had for him.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i just got tired of all the golden retrievers

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

i just got tired of all the golden retrievers

blandest dog for blandest horrorman

also, excellent post + username combo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've only read Dean Koontz's book Velocity. The premise and first few chapters that follow it are actually decent.

quote:

Bill Wiles is an easygoing, hardworking guy who leads a quiet, ordinary life. But that is about to change. One evening, after his usual eight-hour bartending shift, he finds a typewritten note under the windshield wiper of his car.

"If you don't take this note to the police and get them involved, I will kill a lovely blond schoolteacher. If you do take this note to the police, I will instead kill an elderly woman active in charity work. You have four hours to decide. The choice is yours."

...(In) less than twenty-four hours later, a young blond schoolteacher is found murdered, and it's Bill's fault: he didn't convince the police to get involved. Now he's got another note, another deadline, another ultimatum...and two new lives hanging in the balance.

It's one of the few books I've read where every chapter gets progressively worse and the story gets dumber. The bad guy is an artist who does gimmicky poo poo, like tying a bunch of balloons to a bridge to make it seem like it's floating, poo poo like that.

The most notable thing I can remember is that in almost every chapter, the main character buys a "Peanut Bar" (like a Pay Day) and a Hershey's chocolate bar, and eats them one at a time, or sometimes stacks them to eat them. I kept wondering why he wouldn't just buy a Mr. Goodbar.

Anyway, it sucked.

I've been told his book Hideaway is the only good thing he wrote, but I haven't been curious enough to find a copy.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Franchescanado posted:

The most notable thing I can remember is that in almost every chapter, the main character buys a "Peanut Bar" (like a Pay Day) and a Hershey's chocolate bar, and eats them one at a time, or sometimes stacks them to eat them. I kept wondering why he wouldn't just buy a Mr. Goodbar.

OK, I've got to read this now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Skyscraper posted:

OK, I've got to read this now.

I knew at least one person would be enticed, so I give you fair warning:

You will regret that decision.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Franchescanado posted:

I knew at least one person would be enticed, so I give you fair warning:

You will regret that decision.

blah blah blah can't hear you, sure i'm going to LOVE this book

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Everyone posted:

Strangers/i] was good. Phantoms was good. [i]Watchers was really good. Then Koontz went on this lengthy hosed up bit about some kind of ginormous atheist conspiracy bullshit and just crapped away every bit of good will I had for him.

phantoms was good for the first like 80 pages until it becomes clear that the bad guy is an evil sentient oil slick and then they kill it with anti-oil germs

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I really enjoyed the Midnight Bay books and while I'd love to read the last book in that trilogy, I absolutely do not want post-2000 Dean Koontz to write it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
odd thomas is alright, too (movie was better but still not really good)