Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Preoptopus posted:

Goop melts the rubber with intent to plug the hole. Its super caustic and bad for everything except a large portion of punctures it doesnt reach and yes It will destroy your sensor eventually.
depends how long its been subject to it. IF you happen to park the car with the sensor at 6 o clock its done.

Do you have a source for this?

As far as I can tell most sealants are just water, latex, fibers to help plug holes, and some sort of an anti-freeze.

For example, here's the msds for a can of that slime brand emergency tire repair stuff

https://storage.googleapis.com/slime-com/uploads/Tire%20Sealant.pdf

key points:

quote:

キ Classification of the substance or mixture
The product is not classified as hazardous according to the Globally Harmonized System (GHS).

Other hazards There are no other hazards not otherwise classified that have been identified.

Additional information: Contains natural rubber latex. May produce an allergic reaction

キ Components:
56-81-5 glycerol 20-40%
9004-34-6 cellulose <5%
9006-04-6 natural rubber latex Skin Sens. 1B, H317 <1%

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jamal posted:

As far as I can tell most sealants are just water, latex, fibers to help plug holes, and some sort of an anti-freeze.

For example, here's the msds for a can of that slime brand emergency tire repair stuff

key points:

Yeah, rubber solidifies when exposed to air, the trick is getting it to be in the right configuration when that happens.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

Brand/model/size?
Current wheels
https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/25229...akaAqAbEALw_wcB

It's a 2019 Nissan leaf+ oem wheels and tires. Check my thread history for the other details.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
215/50R17?

Michelin CrossClimate are probably a good choice if want an all-rounder with winter capability, Pilot Sport 4 if you want a very good wet & dry tyre with a performance bias.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LRADIKAL posted:

Current wheels
https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/25229...akaAqAbEALw_wcB

It's a 2019 Nissan leaf+ oem wheels and tires. Check my thread history for the other details.

Tire make and model. Saying "OEM tires" doesn't exactly help. Whatever, OEM tires are often chosen for fuel economy, especially on a Leaf. Buy something with better reviews on Tire Rack.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Is there a formula for calculating the correct tire pressure when you change tire size?

My Mazda came with P215/45R18 tires, and the recommended pressure is 36 psi. I just ordered winter tires that are P205/55R17. Do I need to account for the change in tire volume/contact patch area?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

Tire make and model. Saying "OEM tires" doesn't exactly help. Whatever, OEM tires are often chosen for fuel economy, especially on a Leaf. Buy something with better reviews on Tire Rack.

I'm telling you what it has and that they are slippery, and I want something less slippery for winter. Check my thread history if you are actually trying to help.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm telling you what it has and that they are slippery, and I want something less slippery for winter. Check my thread history if you are actually trying to help.

You're kind of a piece of poo poo. I mean not totally, but the parts of you that make it out onto the internet certainly are.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LRADIKAL posted:

Hey, I am trying to help, but it's still not clear what exactly you decided upon. You're mentioning buying another set of wheels, so I figured that means you want winter tires, right? I gave some recommendations.
Or, do you want to not use what you have on the car at all now?
Another question, would you try driving in the snow like we had in February?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Nohearum posted:

Is there a formula for calculating the correct tire pressure when you change tire size?

My Mazda came with P215/45R18 tires, and the recommended pressure is 36 psi. I just ordered winter tires that are P205/55R17. Do I need to account for the change in tire volume/contact patch area?

What specific Mazda is it? The information might be readily available in the car's manual if the 17" rim size is available in other trim levels. Check the specifications section in the manual, it's probably the last chapter. For example 2018 Mazda3s were sold with 16" and 18" wheel options and both sizes and the required pressures are provided in the manual. Mazda provides manual PDFs on their website if you don't have the physical one handy.

If your new size is not in the manual then you need to get your hands on a fitment guide from a tire manufacturer. I tried some quick Googling and came up empty handed though so you might need to visit a tire shop.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

jamal posted:

key points:

hmmm guess i havent read up on it in a while. I just remember a poster back when i first started busting tires saying how lovely it was to get on you or be around and needed proper disposal. It all went in the drain. Egg on face. Still doesnt change the fact nobody likes loving with it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

Hey, I am trying to help, but it's still not clear what exactly you decided upon. You're mentioning buying another set of wheels, so I figured that means you want winter tires, right? I gave some recommendations.
Or, do you want to not use what you have on the car at all now?
Another question, would you try driving in the snow like we had in February?

I haven't decided on anything. Sounds like the two shops are steering me wrong with all weather?

Let me back up to the beginning.

I have these stock, efficient rear end tires on my car. I want some winter tires, maybe not snow tires, but something grippier. It seems like the stock tires are pretty good, efficient, smooth and long lasting for summer drives. I want to swap all four wheels for the fall/spring/winter. Snow hasn't been happening here much lately, but I understand that even an all weather tire will give me better, safer performance during the cooler weather. Previously it was reccomended that going to a 16" rim would be a little cheaper and possibly a bit more performant.

I'm open to suggestions, I'm pretty ignorant about tires. Thanks.

jonathan posted:

You're kind of a piece of poo poo. I mean not totally, but the parts of you that make it out onto the internet certainly are.

gently caress off?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=81123

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LRADIKAL posted:

I have these stock, efficient rear end tires on my car. I want some winter tires, maybe not snow tires, but something grippier. It seems like the stock tires are pretty good, efficient, smooth and long lasting for summer drives.

Suggestion: when the people who you want suggestions from ask you for the MODEL NAME of the tires you have, don稚 just say 的 already said there池e OEM tires or 斗ook at my other posts and instead post the model name of the tires.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LRADIKAL posted:

Check my post history, I'm actually trying to help.

I checked your post history in this thread. No manufacturer or model was given. I even tried to find it on Nissan's horrible mobile website Leaf-builder tool. If I knew what tire (not wheel size) you already have, I'd pull the reviews for that tire and see if there was a better option. Instead, you cop an attitude. :shrug: Best of luck.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LRADIKAL posted:

I haven't decided on anything. Sounds like the two shops are steering me wrong with all weather?

Let me back up to the beginning.

I have these stock, efficient rear end tires on my car. I want some winter tires, maybe not snow tires, but something grippier. It seems like the stock tires are pretty good, efficient, smooth and long lasting for summer drives. I want to swap all four wheels for the fall/spring/winter. Snow hasn't been happening here much lately, but I understand that even an all weather tire will give me better, safer performance during the cooler weather. Previously it was reccomended that going to a 16" rim would be a little cheaper and possibly a bit more performant.

gently caress off?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=81123

One reason for asking which tires you have currently is to get a feel for what kind of tires you are "used" to. It's pretty lazy to ask for help and not even bothering to find out what tires you currently have. Not to mention the bad attitude.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Fabulousity posted:

What specific Mazda is it? The information might be readily available in the car's manual if the 17" rim size is available in other trim levels. Check the specifications section in the manual, it's probably the last chapter. For example 2018 Mazda3s were sold with 16" and 18" wheel options and both sizes and the required pressures are provided in the manual. Mazda provides manual PDFs on their website if you don't have the physical one handy.

If your new size is not in the manual then you need to get your hands on a fitment guide from a tire manufacturer. I tried some quick Googling and came up empty handed though so you might need to visit a tire shop.

Correct it is a Mazda 3. My winters are 17" which is right between the 16" and 18" sizes available from the factory so I can't use the manual.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

One reason for asking which tires you have currently is to get a feel for what kind of tires you are "used" to. It's pretty lazy to ask for help and not even bothering to find out what tires you currently have. Not to mention the bad attitude.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+Saver+A%2FS&partnum=15VR7ESAS

It's these! Sorry and thanks! I thought it was enough to know that the tires I had were efficient and slippery.

215/50R17 90V

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's odd, I think I had those Michelins on my Zoe, and they were fine. Might be a "US market versions are poo poo" situation?

I think it really depends whether you want better tyres year round, or you specifically want better tyres for winter use?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you can sit out driving on the rare major snow days we have I'd just get an all-season tire and drive it year round.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Winter driving is what I want. Also, we cross the pass on Thanksgiving to get to the tri cities, which is usually fine. It's also the primary vehicle if it is snowing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LRADIKAL posted:

Winter driving is what I want. Also, we cross the pass on Thanksgiving to get to the tri cities, which is usually fine. It's also the primary vehicle if it is snowing.
In that case, in your position, I would get a spare set of wheels shod with tyres that have the best winter performance, irrespective of wear rate or other preformance attributes.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is there a way for me to decide when to put winter tires on? When it starts raining? When the temps get below 45? When snow is threatening?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
7 degrees C is the normal advised changeover point, so generally, if it's consistently single figures (in celcius, we're not animals), running winter tyres is fine.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

LRADIKAL posted:

Is there a way for me to decide when to put winter tires on? When it starts raining? When the temps get below 45? When snow is threatening?

Just watch the weather? Real time conditions for just about every pass in the Pacific Northwest is readily available and 5 day forecasts these days are quite accurate. If your winter tires are studded note that WA state only permits them to be on vehicles between November 1st and March 31st.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

LRADIKAL posted:

You should do it hours before a major snow storm when everyone else does it and then get super upset with the guy at the desk cause he cant get you in right away despite the waiting room full of people patiently waiting their turn. But your special cause how the gently caress are you gonna make it home to Vail with these bald tires its snowing up there right now arnt you getting how your problem is my problem?!?!?!
Thats the best time to do it.

:suicide:

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 26, 2019

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

LRADIKAL posted:

Guess that depends on where you live. I live in PA and I usually swap when the daily high temp doesn稚 get above 50-ish or when the weather starts turning to wintry mixes instead of rain, but I also have a complete set of extra wheels so it痴 quick enough to swap over if it gets lovely.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

You should do it when everyone else does it and then get super upset with the guy at the desk cause he cant get you in right away despite the waiting room full of people patiently waiting their turn. But your special cause how the gently caress are you gonna make it home to Vail with these bald tires its snowing up there right now arnt you getting how your problem is my problem?!?!?!

Bonus points if you bring in your own set of loose unmounted tires that have cracking oxidized sidewalls, just above legal limit of tread left, damaged bead seals, and are full of muddy rain water and spiders then have a tantrum when the shop won't touch them. +1 style point if you claim the shop did the swap for you last year despite you nor the shop having any record. +2 points if you claim you bought the tires from the shop even though it's a brand or model they have never sold.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LRADIKAL posted:

november is probably a good time

also dont go to les schwab for anything other than getting a flat fixed. their prices are bad and selection is...weird. discount tire or costco are much better bets. or tirerack.com

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Preoptopus posted:

You should do it hours before a major snow storm when everyone else does it and then get super upset with the guy at the desk cause he cant get you in right away despite the waiting room full of people patiently waiting their turn. But your special cause how the gently caress are you gonna make it home to Vail with these bald tires its snowing up there right now arnt you getting how your problem is my problem?!?!?!

I was going to say, be sure to make an appointment several days in advance, they get crazy busy. I jumped the gun and put mine on when there was snow in the passes already, and feels kind of bad driving when it was 60F out the other day, but otherwise it hasn't gotten much over 50F which is usually my criteria.

Go with one of the tires I mentioned above and I think you'll be very happy. Or the Continental VikingContact 7 MrOnBicycle mentioned. I usually base my purchasing decision on consumer reviews on TireRack, which the Continentals don't have yet, but a Swedish magazine is a credible choice when it comes to winter tires! (We might actually get a different tire than the European market but I'm guessing it will be close enough.)

And yeah I've been using Discount Tire / America's Tire for a long time and have been quite happy with their customer service.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm due for tires. It rains a lot here and I love the Pilot Sport AS3+es I have now. Anything just as good that's cheaper?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

So trip on this. Could not find matching winter tires (as in they dont exist) for the s600. 275 45 18 rear 255 45 18 front.
So I have Michelin X ices on the front and Pirrelli winter sotto zero 3s in the back. Oh well they seam to work great together.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

I'm due for tires. It rains a lot here and I love the Pilot Sport AS3+es I have now. Anything just as good that's cheaper?

op go buy them 3 weeks ago when they were on sale at discount tire

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Winter mode activated on the Si. Tires are Hankook Winter I*Cept iZ2. First time I知 using these exact ones but I致e run Hankooks before in the winter and liked them. The overnight temps are suppose to drop below freezing pretty consistently starting tonight so i made the swap.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I regularly keep summer tires on when the temp drops to 20-30 degrees F, it's fine don't worry about it just don't try to test your car's limits or anything.

Snow tires don't go on until there is actually snow.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 2, 2019

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
In Minnesota, if you wait until there's snow to swap out, you're stuck waiting 2-3 weeks for everyone else who just remembered that it snows here to get their bald tires replaced. I swapped ours on last week, luckily I can just do it myself at work. We're already booked full a week and a half out, and it hasn't even snowed enough to stick around yet.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Pryor on Fire posted:

I regularly keep summer tires on when the temp drops to 20-30 degrees F, it's fine don't worry about it just don't try to test your car's limits or anything.

Not worried, but I always swap when it gets around this time of year and have never had an issue. I壇 rather just have them on than have to swap last minute or in a hurry.
I can稚 call in late to work if the weather gets lovely and I have to be there 7 days a week so it痴 just easier to do it whenever I have a free hour around this time a year. I will still drive the S2000 with summer tires for a little while longer before putting it away.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I need some purchasing advice. I have a 2012 Chevy Sonic sedan with original tires and wheels 195 /65 R15. I have an appt with Discount Tires for this Saturday.

I currently live in Denver but I will be moving (driving) to Florida within 30 days. I'll probably average between 7k - 10k miles a year. My budget is pretty open, just looking for safety and good value. I was looking Michelin Premier A/S but am open to advice.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 14, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I need some purchasing advice. I have a 2012 Chevy Sonic sedan with original tires and wheels 195 /65 R15. I have an appt with Discount Tires for this Saturday.

I currently live in Denver but I will be moving (driving) to Florida within 30 days. I'll probably average between 7k - 10k miles a year. My budget is pretty open, just looking for safety and good value. I was looking Michelin Premier A/S but am open to advice.

Get hankook optimos. Decent ride, cheap and they have a good tread life warranty.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

Hello snow tire users, if you are tired of how lovely the Blizzaks are after like 500 miles I highly recommend checking out the nokian hakkapelittas instead, they are much stickier later in their lives and seem to have better treadwear overall.

I'm 95% sure I'm going to replace the Michelin PA4's with the Hakka R3 on the rear of my M3. They're going to be overkill for 98% of my driving, but that 2% involves going into the mountains when it's snowing so it will probably pay off. I'm definitely interested to see what the wear will be like. I ran Blizzak WS80's on my GTI every winter and they wore so insanely fast. On warm days they seriously sounded like peeling velcro under any acceleration.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I also do this. Both the PSS and PS4S work fine when the temps get low if you know what to expect. If you're running something super sticky for track or autocross days you might run into actual issues though.

Preoptopus posted:

So trip on this. Could not find matching winter tires (as in they dont exist) for the s600. 275 45 18 rear 255 45 18 front.
So I have Michelin X ices on the front and Pirrelli winter sotto zero 3s in the back. Oh well they seam to work great together.

My winter set also has X-Ice 3's up front in 245/40/19 and Michelin PA4's in 265/40/19 in back. Studless availability in widths over 255 seems to get pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

We had Premiers on our Mazda 3. They were shot after 40k miles. Costco did a prorated warranty on them which worked out to about 25% of the original price returned. Other than the premature wear the tires were fine. We bought a second set but traded the car in before wearing those ones out.