Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Ok my question is: what did Juice do that resulted in him deleting Twitter?

Nothing, he did it pre-emptively because he thought he might end up saying something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Nothing, he did it pre-emptively because he thought he might end up saying something stupid.

Huh. Self-awareness. Good for him, better to stay silent and risk being thought of as a fool, then to post infowars and remove all doubt.

I think it was Jefferson who said that...

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wait, this Juice Robinson fellow the boards wax poetic about was that hippie dude from nXt. (not Daniel Bryan, the other one)
People reinventing themselves after leaving that company is a trip.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Yep. Now he has tons of great matches and there are people (including Kevin Owens) who say he's the best promo in the world.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait, this Juice Robinson fellow the boards wax poetic about was that hippie dude from nXt. (not Daniel Bryan, the other one)
People reinventing themselves after leaving that company is a trip.

Yes, Juice Robinson, amazingly charismatic and super over with the ladies, used to be CJ Parker in NXT and was a total afterthought.

The WWE system is really good at developing talent, as you can see.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Funny thing is he's been sort of pigeonholed into only ever fighting other non-Japanese talent for the tertiary foreigner belt for the last year and a half, including a pretty baffling feud with Cody about a year ago, and most recently lost a match for the vacated belt to Lance Archer, but he's still about a million times more of a star than he ever would've been had he stuck around in NXT as CJ Parker.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Eventually someone would have mentioned to Vince that CJ Parker was Pam Anderson's Baywatch character's name and we'd have seen him in a red swimsuit.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What is the best "wrestlers on a game show" special ever? I'm trying to think of something that beats this exchange (paraphrased) from the first (?) time WWE did The Weakest Link, I think in 2001 during the Invasion:

Anne Robinson: "If you're the 'billion dollar princess' then where did you get all your money?"

Stephanie McMahon: "My daddy."

Anne Robinson: "Who's your daddy?"

Stephanie McMahon: "Vince McMahon."

Anne Robinson: "Never heard of him."

Also, did the following episode of Raw have a woman wrestler, let's say Ivory, dressed up as Anne Robinson only to be stripped of her garments by... idk, let's go with Lita? I can practically hear JR bellowing "BAH GAWD PAWL, THAT SEXUALLY REPRESSED BRIT JUST GOT HUMILIATED!" :bahgawd:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ox Baker on The Price is Right is hard to beat.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

One more post about closed-fist punched: Actual punches are REALLY loving BAD for you and a single good one can easily knock you out cold, break facial bones, cause permanent damage or, yes, even kill. This is obviously not optimal for pro wrestling where faking them would make the whole thing look (even more) ridiculous (than it is).

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

A kick can knock you out too.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Funny thing is he's been sort of pigeonholed into only ever fighting other non-Japanese talent for the tertiary foreigner belt for the last year and a half, including a pretty baffling feud with Cody about a year ago, and most recently lost a match for the vacated belt to Lance Archer, but he's still about a million times more of a star than he ever would've been had he stuck around in NXT as CJ Parker.

He would be someone who would benefit from a jump to AEW but I don't know if he would. He has the potential to be in a lot higher of a position and I don't know if NJPW will ever put him there

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

fatherofmustard posted:

A kick can knock you out too.
It's easier to fake certain kicks, especially for an audience that is not made up of avid kickboxing fans who just saw a kickboxing match five minutes ago.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Endless Mike posted:

Eventually someone would have mentioned to Vince that CJ Parker was Pam Anderson's Baywatch character's name and we'd have seen him in a red swimsuit.

Baywatch might be the one rare somewhat modern pop culture thing Vince knows about.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I think Juice is better off in Japan. Was he in the same class as Finlay and Jay White? Jay has obviously been catapulted to the moon early but I feel like Finlay is getting recognition now and it's time for Juice to move up from the US title.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who the gently caress is Shorty G?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

shorty g

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Who the gently caress is Shorty G?

Formerly known as Chad Gable, one half of the long forgotten NXT tag team American Alpha.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

forkboy84 posted:

Formerly known as Chad Gable, one half of the long forgotten NXT tag team American Alpha.

That’s what they did to the poor loving guy? I’m so glad I stopped watching.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Shorty, willing, and G.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Brother of Certified G.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So, I’ve only really gotten into wrestling hard with AEW (I previously watched the first two seasons of LU), and I’ve been listening to a shitlod of wrestling retrospective stuff at work to pass time. Which is, naturally, a very different perspective from having watched live.

And one of the big throughlines of all of this listening is “Man, gently caress Hulk Hogan.” Besides the fact that we now know he’s a lovely racist hotdog, it feels like there’s infinite stories of him being crap to work with and having an ego the size of the sun. So... how is it that he came to be the face of wrestling for ages? Was he actually really good in the ring? Sheer force of promos and personality? Extreme politicking? Was it just a completely different environment back then?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hogan drew a shitload of money.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I'm glad his stupid dumb leg drop ruined his body or whatever because gently caress i hated how powerful that move was a kid; it's so loving lame

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hirez posted:

I'm glad his stupid dumb leg drop ruined his body or whatever because gently caress i hated how powerful that move was a kid; it's so loving lame

Leg drop was over, jack

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Hogan drew a shitload of money.

Yep, there's a line in Dave Meltzer's autobiographical issue of the observer where he says the big turning point for his interest in pro-wrestling was understanding that the best wrestler was not winner of the match but the one who made people come back and spend more money.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

So, I’ve only really gotten into wrestling hard with AEW (I previously watched the first two seasons of LU), and I’ve been listening to a shitlod of wrestling retrospective stuff at work to pass time. Which is, naturally, a very different perspective from having watched live.

And one of the big throughlines of all of this listening is “Man, gently caress Hulk Hogan.” Besides the fact that we now know he’s a lovely racist hotdog, it feels like there’s infinite stories of him being crap to work with and having an ego the size of the sun. So... how is it that he came to be the face of wrestling for ages? Was he actually really good in the ring? Sheer force of promos and personality? Extreme politicking? Was it just a completely different environment back then?

Basically the promos and charisma, plus being booked incredibly strongly. (partly due to the ego and politicking, partly because his overness dictated it)

Hogan was absolutely NOT a good worker. He could work a particular style of match and sometimes, when it was the right storyline, it could get over huge, but even the infamous 'he worked harder in New Japan' claims are exaggerating. He's fine, but unspectacular, mostly getting over because he shoot KO'ed Antonio Inoki on accident.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He was also very much had the right look and right gimmick at the right time. Coked-out flag-waving musclehead fits the 80s perfectly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Hugely charismatic guy with the perfect body for the 1980s when everyone was convinced bodybuilders were the ultimate bad asses.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hogan also did an amazing job playing to the crowd and selling his opponent's offense when it was 'convince the crowd the heel has his number' time.
He also came along exactly when Vince McMahon needed him to change the landscape of wrestling.
Although Hogan's 'brash, strong face who doesn't always play by the rules and isn't above beating the bad guys at their own game' schtick wasn't exactly groundbreaking (Lawler was doing the same thing in Memphis but he'd never have Hogan's genetic gifts) it still resonated with crowds that were starting to tire of playing nice.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Stallone put him over huge in Rocky III, as well - like, yeah, Stallone is short, but they make him look legitimately half of Hulk's size and he's in one of, if not the, most memorable moments of the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHqawQp2nsM

Remember that this was the fourth highest grossing movie of 1982. A gigantic hit. And the commodification of all media was still a long ways away; movies held an insane amount of esteem in the public consciousness in terms of what a star was. They played for months on end, sometimes so long and run so many times new prints would be struck before the actual theatrical window closed. So imagine being a kid seeing Rocky III like six times over a summer and watching this big pro wrestler tossing Balboa around like he's a sack of wet clothes and being told "hey you can go see that guy at the arena!" The same thing is what helped make The A-Team a hit show - you could watch Clubber Lang be a reformed good guy on TV like six months after the movie had opened!

And Vince, beginning his merciless gutting of the territories to make the WWF a national promotion, snatched him from the AWA within a year of the movie's release and took full advantage of Reagan-era nationalism by making him the emblem of American exceptionalism, setting the course for the rest of the decade.

And yeah, him being able to build a monster before vanquishing them was a skill Hulk was incredibly good at; when he did sell, Hulk made it look like he was trembling on the loose dirt at the edge of his grave. It was never realistic, but it was effective, especially for the Saturday morning cartoon world that the WWF presented wrestling as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ6gpgjNgCo&t=141s

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Words can't really express how hugely charismatic Hogan was in the 80s, as a kid it was like watching a real life comic book character (similarly so was The Ultimate Warrior, him and Hogan at Wrestlemania 6 blew my goddamn mind) and it easily covered up that he was a pretty limited wrestler. He was still a politicking rear end in a top hat by all accounts, but he was also making the company so much money that everybody was getting paid well being on cards with him, which got him a lot of leeway. Especially since he always made sure to get his friends jobs/paid.

I believe he was the guy who strangled in the crib mid-80s attempts to unionize WWE wrestlers, right?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah I think the gist of it was Jesse Ventura was going around organizing the boys in the locker room and Hogan crept out to tell on him.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Stallone put him over huge in Rocky III, as well - like, yeah, Stallone is short, but they make him look legitimately half of Hulk's size and he's in one of, if not the, most memorable moments of the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHqawQp2nsM

This is the best match Hogan's ever had and he had to do it while carrying a green as goose poo poo worker.

This Balboa guy is a bit of a mark but he's got potential.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
does anyone do the rikishi spike piledriver anymore? I've always thought it was such a sick move

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Low Desert Punk posted:

does anyone do the rikishi spike piledriver anymore? I've always thought it was such a sick move

People usually sell Chuck Taylor's Awful Waffle differently (collapsing instead of popping up), but it's pretty similar?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Low Desert Punk posted:

I agree, and looking back I'm surprised they let him do it. Wasn't that after piledrivers were banned for everyone but Taker, Kane, and occasionally Lawler?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Giant Bernard used it I think.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I agree, and looking back I'm surprised they let him do it. Wasn't that after piledrivers were banned for everyone but Taker, Kane, and occasionally Lawler?

His thighs and rear end were so huge, though, that I doubt anyone could have ever come close to hitting the mat. Probably the safest sitout piledriver anyone could have ever taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Before, but when Rikishi did it, no one was ever in danger of having their head hit the mat.