Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

I just watched Glass (it counts for this thread right?) and thought it was pretty good.

It was really good. I get the hate 100% but I also think those people suck and are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Glass was great and a good wrap up to that trilogy, and shot beautifully

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The score fuckin' owned too, I sat in the theater for the credits just for that six-minute arpeggio.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

My favourite thing in Glass is how a white woman working for a secret cabal who hides the truth and calmly tell people they're not special is ultimately defeated by a black disabled nerd using the internet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/AvengersSource/...orgeous-a171596

https://twitter.com/LordBalvin/stat...orgeous-a171596

https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/stat...orgeous-a171596

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Viral marketing. Capitalism is killing the planet. You are an enemy of the human race.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

It was really good. I get the hate 100% but I also think those people suck and are dumb.

The final act really stuck with me.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

porfiria posted:

Viral marketing. Capitalism is killing the planet. You are an enemy of the human race.

What a weird reaction in a thread that gets trailers and posters and other marketing material posted in it all the time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

What a weird reaction in a thread that gets trailers and posters and other marketing material posted in it all the time.

Without addressing the merits of the original complaint, this shouldn't be surprising. It's a standard feature of systemic oppression that one can participate in it while performing only activities that are seen as normal. The seeming normality of it is what makes it systemic.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

tylersayten posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/12/20957983/disney-plus-marvel-martin-scorsese-blockbusters-netflix-streaming-cinema

Oh.

Are these people even aware this measure is not the kind everyone (aside from Marvel fans) is looking for as a response to Scorsese?

Why would they want to be aware of that, though? They aren't in it for the art or even the craftsmanship.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Away all Goats posted:

SMG called Fran a white supremacist fascist or something because he allows people to post about their Criterion bundles so the brave new world is this I guess.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Away all Goats posted:

Time to change the game.

The poo poo sucks rear end anyway.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LesterGroans posted:

The final act really stuck with me.

Same. Initially at the moment I was shocked and almost betrayed, but that was the feeling I should’ve felt, and end had such a hopeful and very positive feel that it counterbalanced it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

Same. Initially at the moment I was shocked and almost betrayed, but that was the feeling I should’ve felt, and end had such a hopeful and very positive feel that it counterbalanced it.

Yeah, it's an impressive mix of having the rug pulled out from under you, becoming almost an anti-climax, but mitigating that with the very end. I think it'll get some good retrospectives in a few years.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's nice to see Marvel put some actual money into their animated shows, for a long time they have felt super cheap compared to what DC puts out.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FilthyImp posted:

SMG called Fran a white supremacist fascist or something because he allows people to post about their Criterion bundles so the brave new world is this I guess.

Actually: what I wrote is that corporations like Disney are ideologically white supremacist, they’ve successfully colonized half the forum with ads, and maybe he should do something about that.

The official response was, effectively, that he wouldn’t do anything even if he could.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I don’t know why you’re complaining, personally I love seeing the same tweets posted in 5 different threads.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Carter honestly should have gotten the serum. She had the best of what both Tommy Lee Jones and Stanley Tucci wanted from a super soldier and neither of the other candidates' drawbacks.

I wonder if this episode will actually deal with the inherent misogyny in overlooking her or if that will just be glossed over (and she'll have to take it because HYDRA attacks the experiment at the last second or something contrived).

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Wouldn't have expected them to make a zombie episode.

Not sure what's supposed to be interesting about T'challa as Starlord. Starlord voiced by Chadwick Boseman? Black Panther but dressed as Starlord?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Laughing Zealot posted:

Wouldn't have expected them to make a zombie episode.

Not sure what's supposed to be interesting about T'challa as Starlord. Starlord voiced by Chadwick Boseman? Black Panther but dressed as Starlord?

He immidiately gets the death penalty and never escapes prison.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Awesome Mix is now the greatest hits of 1980s rap and R&B.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

The MSJ posted:

The Awesome Mix is now the greatest hits of 1980s rap and R&B.

Well now I'm onboard

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Grant Morrison's observation in Multiversity that people use ad-block and antivirus software for their computers, but let basically anything into their brains is very apt. It's fortunate for us that Disney only infects our brains with pop-up ads that compel us to spam social media, but it's good to be aware that you're a vector for a mind virus owned by an evil corporation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

pospysyl posted:

Grant Morrison's observation in Multiversity that people use ad-block and antivirus software for their computers, but let basically anything into their brains is very apt. It's fortunate for us that Disney only infects our brains with pop-up ads that compel us to spam social media, but it's good to be aware that you're a vector for a mind virus owned by an evil corporation.

I thought the vector was the dumpster

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

FilthyImp posted:

Repressing free speech is the real fascism, am I right?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think you will find theological themes Fiege is talking about in how our hero’s parents raised them and affected them as they grew up thus the movie showing the implication of heroes having such power and the damage, collateral and otherwise, it brings when they come into conflict even showing it visually in horrific fashion where even heroes can fight each other, man vs God at times, and what a responsibility such super power is.

...no wait...I’m thinking Man of Steel and BvS. Nevermind.

The MCU is where we can have a movie where a man who uses the genius and sum of technological industrial power and a man who is embodiment of man’s ID and rage can stand toe to toe with the literal God of Thunder who may be an alien and all we get out of it is a quip about drapes and Shakespeare.

JFC the MCU is terrible poo poo.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 13, 2019

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eGmCeidyH8

So this looks terrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Their animation has been so soulless and boring to look at for like ten years now. Not sure what Bruce Timm is up to over there, I guess he just doesn't have the resources to do legit animation anymore.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Laughing Zealot posted:

kanonvandekempen posted:

He immidiately gets the death penalty and never escapes prison.

I couldn't let this go by seemingly unnoticed because :drat:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

Their animation has been so soulless and boring to look at for like ten years now. Not sure what Bruce Timm is up to over there, I guess he just doesn't have the resources to do legit animation anymore.

I assume he needs to work with Paul Dini to actually make something interesting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gatts posted:

I think you will find theological themes Fiege is talking about in how our hero’s parents raised them and affected them as they grew up thus the movie showing the implication of heroes having such power and the damage, collateral and otherwise, it brings when they come into conflict even showing it visually in horrific fashion where even heroes can fight each other, man vs God at times, and what a responsibility such super power is.

...no wait...I’m thinking Man of Steel and BvS. Nevermind.

The MCU is where we can have a movie where a man who uses the genius and sum of technological industrial power and a man who is embodiment of man’s ID and rage can stand toe to toe with the literal God of Thunder who may be an alien and all we get out of it is a quip about drapes and Shakespeare.

JFC the MCU is terrible poo poo.

Civil War is a perfect example of how the serialised nature of the mcu hurts it from a storytelling perspective. You need to have your heroes disagree, but you also need them to be able to work together in the next movie, a movie that is already really crowded. And so, it can't be an ideological battle, because those can't resolve themselves off screen. It can't be that anyone's actually done anything that's unforgiveable or genuinely bad that they now feel regret for. So the central conflict is that a guy is mad because a mind controlled guy did something he doesn't even remember doing and would never repeat. He fully knows it's irrational but acts on it anyway. It's why you can have the illusion of an ambiguous ending, where they seem to have not fully resolved everything, because there was nothing to actually resolve.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Civil War is a perfect example of how the serialised nature of the mcu hurts it from a storytelling perspective. You need to have your heroes disagree, but you also need them to be able to work together in the next movie, a movie that is already really crowded. And so, it can't be an ideological battle, because those can't resolve themselves off screen. It can't be that anyone's actually done anything that's unforgiveable or genuinely bad that they now feel regret for. So the central conflict is that a guy is mad because a mind controlled guy did something he doesn't even remember doing and would never repeat. He fully knows it's irrational but acts on it anyway. It's why you can have the illusion of an ambiguous ending, where they seem to have not fully resolved everything, because there was nothing to actually resolve.

It's pretty funny that when Tony and Cap finally meet in Endgame, Tony is super pissed off at Cap....for not letting him run wild with his "suit of armor around the whole world" dreams. The thing with Bucky and his father is never mentioned.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

It's pretty funny that when Tony and Cap finally meet in Endgame, Tony is super pissed off at Cap....for not letting him run wild with his "suit of armor around the whole world" dreams.

...and that only makes sense as a callback to the events in Winter Soldier.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Right, Tony was involved in three attempts to build a suit of armor around the world: Project Insight, Ultron, and Vision. Tony agreed the second one needed to be destroyed, and Cap wasn't able to stop the third from being created, so, yeah, the objection seems like it can only be about Cap stopping Project Insight, which was literally a partnership with Hydra. I can't imagine that's what the writers/directors intended, but I'm not sure how else to square it with previous events.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The juvenile sex jokes are cringey, but taking a stereotypical black guy role and giving it to a PLANT seems problematic in sooooo many ways.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Crackbone posted:

The juvenile sex jokes are cringey, but taking a stereotypical black guy role and giving it to a PLANT seems problematic in sooooo many ways.

I believe it's also a reference/parody/rip-off of Audrey II in Little Shop of Horrors.

edit: Huh. It's voiced by J.B. Smoove.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 14, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He should've built a Dyson sphere around Earth.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

JB Smoov is most likely improvising all those lines. Mans a god.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Basebf555 posted:

It's pretty funny that when Tony and Cap finally meet in Endgame, Tony is super pissed off at Cap....for not letting him run wild with his "suit of armor around the whole world" dreams. The thing with Bucky and his father is never mentioned.

It becomes clear here that Iron Man is actually pissed off at Captain America after Civil War for effectively halting his accruement of political capital necessary to build his "Suit of armor around the world", after climbing out of the hole in sinking influence & resources in the now, supposedly, defunct drone program.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the Harley Quinn show looks like a Family Guy spinoff