Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's not just some (Mostly crazy) people wanting all the Pokemon ever in there, it's mainly more that they cut a chunk of really good features, were a lot tighter on the amount of Pokemon included in the first place, they factually have a whole roster of really nice high quality models they made a while back which they decided not to use for ????? reasons, said a bunch of the usual "It'll make this better and this'll be smoothed out more though" and then the game feels super slapdash in a bunch of places, the animations on a lot of things are real bad, random buggy/low quality things keep jumping out and so on, which is hugely disappointing for their big new entry.

And I mean like, when the still to this day gargantuan, massively huge and profitable almost every single time game series is cutting corners this hard, it's worth people getting mad and saying something's wrong. (It's really capitalism's fault but still)

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

It's not just some (Mostly crazy) people wanting all the Pokemon ever in there, it's mainly more that they cut a chunk of really good features, were a lot tighter on the amount of Pokemon included in the first place, they factually have a whole roster of really nice high quality models they made a while back which they decided not to use for ????? reasons, said a bunch of the usual "It'll make this better and this'll be smoothed out more though" and then the game feels super slapdash in a bunch of places, the animations on a lot of things are real bad, random buggy/low quality things keep jumping out and so on, which is hugely disappointing for their big new entry.

And I mean like, when the still to this day gargantuan, massively huge and profitable almost every single time game series is cutting corners this hard, it's worth people getting mad and saying something's wrong. (It's really capitalism's fault but still)

the issue is that these frustrations are all misdirected towards the developers at Game Freak rather than The Pokemon Company strangleholding them into annual production of games

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm curious to see the difference in quality of the Switch models compared to the ones they ported over from the 3DS. It sounds like the game was rushed and they weren't ready for release. I wonder if it's something they can fix up with updates.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Jimbot posted:

I'm curious to see the difference in quality of the Switch models compared to the ones they ported over from the 3DS. It sounds like the game was rushed and they weren't ready for release. I wonder if it's something they can fix up with updates.

Ultra Sun and Moon being a full price update to S&M released 364 days later tells me that yeah, they'll probably fix and add some things just in time for next year's Greatsword and Greatshield.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
So it's another instance of a company working its devs to death and letting them take the flak for whatever mishaps that creates?

Cool, cool.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The problem with the pokemon thing is that there are some extremely valid criticisms of it but a lot of the focus is on like calling a short shadow render distance “insane” but the other side has a bunch of people being like “wow look at those entitled guys who wanted the first mainline pokemon game on a home console to not be scaled down and rushed”

It’s a conflict where one side would’ve loved it no matter what and the other would’ve hated it no matter what so it’s really hard to want to side with either of them

The true take is that game freak should unionize

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

watho posted:

The problem with the pokemon thing is that there are some extremely valid criticisms of it but a lot of the focus is on like calling a short shadow render distance “insane” but the other side has a bunch of people being like “wow look at those entitled guys who wanted the first mainline pokemon game on a home console to not be scaled down and rushed”

It’s a conflict where one side would’ve loved it no matter what and the other would’ve hated it no matter what so it’s really hard to want to side with either of them

The true take is that game freak should unionize

This is the best take I've seen, thanks. I'm still exicted for Pokemon tomorrow, but also would have been cool with giving Game Freak more time to cook it so it's *better*.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Clerical Terrors posted:

So it's another instance of a company working its devs to death and letting them take the flak for whatever mishaps that creates?

Cool, cool.

You forgot "with a fanbase that demands and celebrates this behavior".

If it's a shoddy or buggy release, sure, that's a corner being cut, but because the imagined feature list isn't "everything and anything we hoped for" that's just ridiculous.

/why yes, I work in software, why do you ask?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

stillvisions posted:

If it's a shoddy or buggy release, sure, that's a corner being cut, but because the imagined feature list isn't "everything and anything we hoped for" that's just ridiculous.

/why yes, I work in software, why do you ask?

The games apparently are pretty rushed and buggy, yes. And by reports from dataminers and leaked game streamers it recycles some animations and possibly most of the pokemon models from the 3DS games. They also didn't just cut half of existing pokemon, but also a large pool of moves (many of which were redundant but also stuff like hidden power, return, and signature moves for some pokemon species).

They also removed mega evolutions and z-moves for the gigantamax feature, which is only useable in more limited situations like raids and gyms.

Apparently the GTS is cut except for Wonder Trading, and it's expected you'll need the Pokemon Home app to trade online. It's not out yet but it's expected to be another subscription service like the Poke Bank, which you'll have to pay for on top of paying for Nintendo Online anyway.

The open world feature is apparently quite dull and lead to the removal of any interesting dungeon design, making the story mode quite short, and the post-game facility is even more limited than the last few 3DS games.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

The games apparently are pretty rushed and buggy, yes. And by reports from dataminers and leaked game streamers it recycles some animations and possibly most of the pokemon models from the 3DS games. They also didn't just cut half of existing pokemon, but also a large pool of moves (many of which were redundant but also stuff like hidden power, return, and signature moves for some pokemon species).

Doesn't Creatures, Inc do the pokemon models and animations? I thought it was done that way so they'd have consistent animations for spinoff games developed by other companies like Let's Go Pikachu? Nothing I saw looked new outside of the rendering engine so far.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Reusing models is fine. The current pokemon models were made specifically so that they could be reused. The problem that a lot of people have with it is that a Game Freak representative said in an interview that they had to rebuild the models from scratch for the switch, and now it is becoming clear that these are the exact same models.

A lot of people are angry about it, saying they lied about that to justify the cutting of many pokemon. Personally, I’m more confused than anything else. Why would they give an excuse which is not only false, but so easy to prove wrong? Why not just say that the national dex had to be cut eventually so they decided to rip off the bandaid now?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

The nationaldex is so far down the list as to why the game is a shitshow, even if it's one of the things people are harping on the most

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ariong posted:

A lot of people are angry about it, saying they lied about that to justify the cutting of many pokemon. Personally, I’m more confused than anything else. Why would they give an excuse which is not only false, but so easy to prove wrong? Why not just say that the national dex had to be cut eventually so they decided to rip off the bandaid now?

I'm certain it was down to a badly translated interview. I think I recall something similarly stupid due to English speaking gamers confabulating something from a interview with the dark souls guy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Crocoswine posted:

The nationaldex is so far down the list as to why the game is a shitshow, even if it's one of the things people are harping on the most

I don't know about that, I just got the game and so far I'm having fun. It's charming and cute.

Also, to add to this, I had a (very minor) fight on my hands to even get the game, as the street date breaking shop I always go to was nearly sold out when I got there after work. If someone hadn't decided at the last minute they rather wanted Shield instead of Sword, I'd have to actually wait until tomorrow and go to another shop!

Man, that would have been annoying

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
In lighter news, Clinton's a terf now

https://twitter.com/outmagazine/status/1194716253530787840?s=19

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hillary Clinton the Internet Personality is a scary prospect.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Another internet creator tragically Cancelled

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

JordanKai posted:

"It was everyone else's fault but mine!"

She'd fit right in.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"rebrand"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dabir posted:

Calling yourself a gamer implicitly makes playing video games a key part of your identity in a way that probably isn't healthy.
plenty of people make stuff like their consumption of and tastes in music and movies and books a key part of their identity

it's really not unusual

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, that's right. I"m a booker.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
If you've managed to not meet a Harry Potter obsessed nerd in "mainstream" culture you've lived a charmed life.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
speaking of bookers does it count when non-internet personalities behave like weird youtube freaks?

https://jezebel.com/how-to-use-the-fictional-teenage-girl-1839863520

Basically Sarah Dessen, a young adult lit writer, took personal offence at a nobody college student suggesting that a reading course doesn't need her book on it because it's more for young teen girls rather than the freshmen college age group they're focusing on. This lead to her and a bunch of other YA writers dunking on the student so bad the college had to apologize, all the while not realizing what absolute ghouls they're being. She also hilariously cropped the screengrab she posted to get people mad at the student to avoid mentioning that the book they chose instead was a story by a black man about the racial injustice he faced. Ya know, an actual book.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

speaking of bookers does it count when non-internet personalities behave like weird youtube freaks?

Basically Sarah Dessen, a young adult lit writer, took personal offence at a nobody college student suggesting that a reading course doesn't need her book on it because it's more for young teen girls rather than the freshmen college age group they're focusing on. This lead to her and a bunch of other YA writers dunking on the student so bad the college had to apologize, all the while not realizing what absolute ghouls they're being. She also hilariously cropped the screengrab she posted to get people mad at the student to avoid mentioning that the book they chose instead was a story by a black man about the racial injustice he faced. Ya know, an actual book.

Lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

quote:

In a reply to one of Picoult’s tweets, novelist Jennifer Weiner compared one young woman’s opinion of Dessen’s books to the Larry Nassar scandal

extremely normal

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
in not garbage news, I've been forgetting to check out Drawfee for ages and had no idea they had a weird variety show now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5iOsqptGno

There's so many good episodes I've already seen.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Bug Squash posted:

I'm certain it was down to a badly translated interview. I think I recall something similarly stupid due to English speaking gamers confabulating something from a interview with the dark souls guy.

it could also be they were encouraged/compelled to lie by nintendo because nintendo is a lovely company that already does things like this

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I cant believe it took this long for Hillary Clinton to get canceled.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Here, catch!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JordanKai posted:

She broadcasts through the same time hole from 1994 that James Rolfe uses to reach us, but not in a good way.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The Sarah Dessen thing is making me laugh so much because I read her books as a teenage girl and they are such teenage girl books. And that's all that college student said about them! "These are aimed at teenagers, which is fine, but this is university and we should be trying to challenge readers at a higher level." The author is so sensitive that an accurate description of the target audience of her books made her cry!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean I took a university course on young adult literature so it would fit in that context. What was the course that dressen was insisting her book needed to be discussed in?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's not even for a course. It's just a program where the first years all read the same book and can attend a lecture by the author or an expert about it.
https://www.northern.edu/academics/honors-program/nsu-common-read

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

2014 was Ready Player One - I think they mean it as a Fluffy Togetherness thing and not a Serious Study thing.

Edit: But the author should have left the student the hell alone tho.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In frustrating and sad news, Octav1us Kitten has shut down their Patreon and Twitter, feeling that they can't in good conscience ask for money while they're going through too much to have any output, and feeling that Twitter's a bit too toxic. Really sucks. :smith:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In frustrating and sad news, Octav1us Kitten has shut down their Patreon and Twitter, feeling that they can't in good conscience ask for money while they're going through too much to have any output, and feeling that Twitter's a bit too toxic. Really sucks. :smith:

i know, it's awful. The amount of poo poo that Octy gets from certain quarters, especially after the Horace situation...it's beyond the pale. Some really foul people about.

It'd probably amaze people to hear that parts of the community for a 40 year old long dead British microcomputer are so utterly cancerous. But, here we are.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Bakeneko posted:

You’re far more likely to get confused looks from people who still think gaming is just for kids, than you are to find someone in real life who knows/cares about all this online drama related to the gamer label.

Pretty much, though I feel like there aren't that many people who think gaming is just for kids.

Family members have referred to me as such in conversation ("Max, I think you'd get along with my co-worker Dave, since he's a gamer. too"), and it's because they know that playing video games is one of my main hobbies. Still, whenever it happens, I worry about it happening in a more public setting in earshot of an extremely online person, and I die a little inside.

Libluini posted:

Ha, our mom literally called our PSX "the Nintendo" :v:

Well, Nintendo was initially going to produce the PSX, so she wasn't too far off.

Ghostlight posted:

Single- or double-entry?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I watched the Noah Gervais video on red dead today in a few sessions. It went by surprisingly fast until I realized that the final game took up more than half of the screen time :v:

It was a very good video tho, gave me a good perspective on a series I’d brushed off because of how much I’ve despised rockstar in the last decade or so.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

plenty of people make stuff like their consumption of and tastes in music and movies and books a key part of their identity

it's really not unusual

I didn't say unusual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

watho posted:

I watched the Noah Gervais video on red dead today in a few sessions. It went by surprisingly fast until I realized that the final game took up more than half of the screen time :v:

It was a very good video tho, gave me a good perspective on a series I’d brushed off because of how much I’ve despised rockstar in the last decade or so.
I haven't played RDR2 but the first game had some pretty good writing in parts IMO and told a more affecting story than any of the GTA titles which slowly got so misanthropic I couldn't stomach them anymore.