Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

On Cinema At The Cinema is a movie review show hosted by Tim Heidecker and his co-host guest Gregg Turkington. On Cinema takes the form of a classic movie review show in the vein of At The Movies but tells a meta-narrative revolving around Tim's narcissism and Gregg's total lack of care for anything that isn't movies. Each episode is roughly ten minutes wherein they "review" two movies and sometimes a Popcorn Classic. On Cinema has lasted 11 seasons and spawned a veritable universe with it's own deep lore and a veritable cast of characters, most of who enable Tim's awful behavior.

Here's a quick guide to the On Cinema universe:

On Cinema at the Cinema

This is the main show. Tim and Gregg try to review at least two movies and a popcorn classic from Gregg's impressive VHS collection. Their "reviews" are barely surface level, where it's obvious if not stated that Tim didn't even watch the movie. Movies get rated on a strict scale of 1-5 bags of popcorn. Popcorn Classics are usually junk movies, forgotten to time. He always manages to pick something just mediocre enough to be rightfully forgotten to time.

Oscar Specials
Every year they do a live Oscar special. I haven't got to watching these yet.

Decker

One of Tim's many vanity projects. An amalgam of shows like 24 and CBS style procedurals but with a shoestring budget and awful production value. TIm plays Decker, a CIA agent who doesn't take poo poo from the president, fights Al-Qaeda, and sings about how America is losing it's values. Gregg plays Kington, the CIA's greatest code breaker and film buff. Seasons 1-3 can be watched on Youtube, with the rest on Adult Swim's website.

DeKKar
Tim's vanity alt rock band.

DKR
The electronic version of DeKKar. I don't even wanna post the Empty Bottle remix.

The Trial of Tim Heidecker
In 2017, Tim went on trial for the deaths of 20 people. For this, Adult Swim financed a 5 hour honest to God mock murder trial. Adult Swim's youtube page has highlights, or you could watch the entire trial. I'd recommend watching it in bits.

Mr. America
A recently released documentary about Tim's failed run for District Attorney.

Where do I start?
There is a site that documents the entire timeline if you want to follow it. Otherwise, I'd recommend watching this 12 hour compilation of seasons 1-8 at your own pace.

But Detective, I hate Tim and Eric's humor. Will I like On Cinema?
Maybe? On Cinema is nothing like Tim and Eric Awesome Show. In fact, Eric Wareheim doesn't show up at all. The humor relies more on getting to know Tim and Gregg's personalities, quirks, and the extended cast. I could sit here all day and post about all the running gags, but I figure that'll naturally happen throughout the thread. Tim is extremely narcissistic, prone to getting scammed by alternative medicine, and going on poorly thought out right talking points. Gregg loves movies to the exclusion of having his own life and personality. He gets really annoyed at Tim when he's not focusing on movies. He's very apolitical because the only thing he even wants to have an opinion is cinema.

Despite being a long time Tim and Eric fan, I hadn't started watching On Cinema until watching the trial a couple months ago. It was hilarious, but now I regret watching it before familiarizing myself with On Cinema, I missed out on so many jokes and references. I rate the series 5 bags of popcorn.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Adult Swim conveniently has all of On Cinema at the Cinema in a single playlist, in case you'd rather watch through it piecemeal instead of the one compilation video.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I just finished season 4 and it’s my favorite so far. Is it worth going back and listening to the podcast episodes?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

does anybody know the name of the song they use for the On Cinema On Defense segments, if its a real song at all? i cant find it anywhere

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't listened to the podcast yet. I've barely got time for the podcasts I've been listening to these days. I got a new job and haven't had the idle listening time I had in my previous one.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Tim is an absolute treasure, he's to be peppered with kisses.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hey guys, a new episode came out today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgPsYWyZCgc

Midway & Arctic Dogs.

Midway:
Tim's Rating Five bags of popcorn.
Gregg's rating [spoiler]Five bags of popcorn and a stopwatch

Arctic Dogs
Tim's rating Five bags of popcorn
Gregg's rating Five bags of popcorn and some white tape.

Gregg does make a good observation with the weird recent trend in snow themed animated movies. I'm guessing this was kicked off by Frozen's success.

They found a way to make Empty Bottle even worse. :v:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I've never watched this show but Tim Heidecker going on Chapo Trap House and very sincerely getting really weepy about actual film critics giving Mr. America bad reviews, culminating in him unironically arguing that basically if they didn't have anything nice to say about the movie they just shouldn't say anything at all because it obviously isn't for them, is one of the funniest things Tim & Eric has ever produced.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Tim and Gregg are obviously doing a great job inhabiting their characters but I feel like Joe Estevez is an unsung hero of the whole On Cinema universe. It seems like the guy is game for whatever they write for him and he does a great job portraying a guy who mostly just seems happy that people are talking to him.

Also, everything with Mark these last couple of seasons has been incredibly dark in the best way.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of the biggest chortles I got was in one of the VR episodes during Gregg's pre-recorded popcorn classics and I rotated the camera 180 degrees and there was Mark laying there in the hospital bed.

He's so good in What We Do In The Shadows.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Joe Estevez seems like the nicest human being on the planet.

I give him five bags.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
God drat, you picked a good time to start this thread. The latest ep may be the best On Cinema there’s ever been.

Re: Tim’s response to reviews of Mr America, Tim’s character is very close to the real Tim Heidecker. I think the real distinction is that Tim has decent morals and the character Tim has bad morals. They share the same personality, otherwise. This is what makes his podcast unlistenable to me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How essential are the live Oscar preshows they’ve done?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Franchescanado posted:

Essential. I’m also of the mind that they’re the best content associated with On Cinema.

It’s worth watching them all even if you have to break them into chunks

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

They’re hilarious and an important part of the storyline

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Cool. I prepared the first one last night but didn’t have 90 minutes to burn.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The latest episode rules.

The shot that just holds on Tim's face as you can see the reality of his situation sinking in is great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone needs to make an emoticon of Gregg saying Hey Guys! in the style of :darksouls:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

sponges posted:

They’re hilarious and an important part of the storyline

Even if you're not majorly concerned with the plot, the Oscar Specials are probably the funniest stuff that On Cinema creates. They're a must watch.

ButtTheShitmanFart
Apr 18, 2018

The worst that is, the worst that was, and the worst that ever will be.
I'll never forgive Tim for denying the world the brilliance that is Decker vs Dracula

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Watched the first few episodes of Decker last night and lmaaaoooooo it’s perfect

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I don't know why it continues to work so well, but I always crack up at Tim butchering the names. I especially like when he says "Casting by".

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's great when he gets a person's name right for one movie and then fucks their name up when they're in another movie a few episodes later.

"Colin Filth"

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

YouTube comments are obviously lovely, but the ones for On Cinema are kinda funny. Everyone is on board and plays along with the bit. It’s great.

#greghead

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm trying to find the one after Tim was blinded by falling off his motorcycle and is pretending to read the cue cards via offstage direction. In tears just thinking about it.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm trying to find the one after Tim was blinded by falling off his motorcycle and is pretending to read the cue cards via offstage direction. In tears just thinking about it.

The Guardians of the Galaxy episode

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

On Cinema is great obviously it's CineD as gently caress, but I hope it's ok to bring this up tangentially: I'm endlessly fascinated by Tim Heidecker's ability to completely blur the line between gimmick and kayfabe in interviews and appearances. I find it unsettling in a way I can't quite put my finger on and I think it's the same reason The Comedy worked so well for me but I never want to watch it again. The Chapo interview mentioned above is another great example.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sponges posted:

The Guardians of the Galaxy episode

Thank you.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is Greg's inability to turn his neck part of the character?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

weekly font posted:

On Cinema is great obviously it's CineD as gently caress, but I hope it's ok to bring this up tangentially: I'm endlessly fascinated by Tim Heidecker's ability to completely blur the line between gimmick and kayfabe in interviews and appearances. I find it unsettling in a way I can't quite put my finger on and I think it's the same reason The Comedy worked so well for me but I never want to watch it again. The Chapo interview mentioned above is another great example.

He's like Sam Hyde without the white supremacy and also actually funny.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I liked when they reviewed Ant Man and Greg recused himself and Tim gave it one bag of popcorn.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was hoping they'd review Ant Man and The Wasp because Tim is in it. Maybe they addressed it in that year's Oscar special.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
I give the thread five...five bags of p-popcorn and two sodas.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

There's a moment during the third Oscar Special where they cut to backstage and Joe Estavez is scooping Chaplain brand chili out of the crock pot with a white plastic spoon and something about it is the saddest, funniest Harmony Korine-like image I've ever seen.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I saw most of the Trial of Tim Heidecker the other day. I love how he just can't contain his rear end in a top hat personality. It's so gross. I think he understands America.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Also the wtf appearance of Joe Estevez and that one DJ who admits outright tim paid him to give false testimony. lmao. I need to watch again to the end to get all the details.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Last night, I went to a screening of the entire Trial at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens. It was probably one of the best theatergoing experiences I have ever had just because everyone "got" it and Tim and Gregg did a post-screening Q&A afterward where they talked about prepping their respective characters.

At almost 5 hours, it moves surprisingly swift and is packed with pretty good jokes. This whole series really is just a great satire of our dumb times. Between Gregg's inability to think critically about media to Tim's quasi-Trump persona, its perfect. The fact that it's spawned this and a motion picture is just incredible, honestly.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Earth Table posted:

Last night, I went to a screening of the entire Trial at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens. It was probably one of the best theatergoing experiences I have ever had just because everyone "got" it and Tim and Gregg did a post-screening Q&A afterward where they talked about prepping their respective characters.

At almost 5 hours, it moves surprisingly swift and is packed with pretty good jokes. This whole series really is just a great satire of our dumb times. Between Gregg's inability to think critically about media to Tim's quasi-Trump persona, its perfect. The fact that it's spawned this and a motion picture is just incredible, honestly.

Really wish I could’ve gone to that.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Earth Table posted:

Tim's character is the easiest to mock as he's so extreme, and is depressingly hilarious in how much his character almost predicts everything from Trump's transformation from being seen as a buffoon to a perfect American by huge swaths of the population to vape pens being filled with cheap, dangerous substances.

But Gregg's character is the other side of the same coin, not caring about anything in life but movies while having zero insight on them, to the degree that anything he tries to film is atrocious, and being proven ignorant again and again but frustratingly refusing to concede any point, even if that point is delivered by the writer/director of the film.

I do think Joe Estevaz is the unsung hero by far of the series. He's so good that sometimes you almost feel like he doesn't realize the whole thing is a bit. It's almost sadly ironic that by not taking his career too seriously, he's kind of proving that he deserves an acting status better than he's had in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gregg is also politically pathetic. He's apolitical but will gladly swallow a D'Souza movie once he realizes it's not a documentary. His "apolitical" nature makes him even more toothless of a critic. Speaking of documentaries, his refusal to watch them is also hilariously eye rolling.

God bless Joe Estavez.