Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Prop Wash posted:

100 candy and 100k dust
Not as horrifying as I thought it would be... but still, after 400 candy to evolve... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Dumb question but is there some trick to getting melmetal? All I can think is walk forever and/or stock up on rare candy

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Dumb question but is there some trick to getting melmetal? All I can think is walk forever and/or stock up on rare candy

If someone you know has Pokemon Let's Go for the Switch, then you can (through a process which honestly is kind of an asspain) get an item which gives you about 20ish meltans over the course of 30 minutes, and can be recharged once every 3 (?) days.

edit: more of a minor inconvenience than an asspain really, but you do have to pair up your phone with their Switch

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Prop Wash posted:

If someone you know has Pokemon Let's Go for the Switch, then you can (through a process which honestly is kind of an asspain) get an item which gives you about 20ish meltans over the course of 30 minutes, and can be recharged once every 3 (?) days.

edit: more of a minor inconvenience than an asspain really, but you do have to pair up your phone with their Switch

Its every 7 days unless theres a special event going on. And yeah pairing your phone to the switch sucks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Its every 7 days unless theres a special event going on. And yeah pairing your phone to the switch sucks.

Pretty sure they dropped it to 3 days a long rear end time ago. It’s not terrible if you have the pinap berries to go with it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I have gotten a total of 1 mystery box from some random dude that once had a switch with him on a raid. Caught all of them with a pinap. But other than that: rare candy.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

Wayfarer doesn't determine stop vs. gym - at least, there's no option to do so on our level. Maybe if you put it in additional remarks, someone up the approval chain can make that determination? I don't think so though, pretty sure it's automatically determined by density/proximity.

As for the sign outside your house... maybe? Signs can be stops, although it specifically rules out "standard" signs (stop signs, one way signs, etc.). You can certainly submit it as a stop and see what happens! Wayfarer isn't where you'd submit it though - you would use Pokemon Go to submit the stop and then others would use Wayfarer to review it (although you can use Wayfarer to view your nominations).

I knew americans were going to ruin it

There is a way to force which stop turns into a gym and it's done through upvoting POI photos in Ingress. I'll try to create a comprehensive post on how this process works, as well as an overview on Wayfarer.

Feel free to submit whatever you want as a potential stop, but note that if it doesn't fit the criteria, it'll almost certainly be rejected. It's also one more submission that needs to be reviewed to free up the queue for actual quality submissions, and if you abuse the system too much, you can lose your submission privileges.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Stop snitching and let people have their couch stops

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wheany posted:

:emptyquote:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Wheany posted:

Not sure if serious, but at any rate, bad garbage submissions will get downvoted into oblivion and the reviewers trying to let them through will eventually get banned.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm pretty sure my water meter is a better stop than the sponsored ad bullshit. Get at me Niantic.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
It will be interesting to see what the POI review turnarounds are now that wayfarer is global. Wasn’t the turnaround super long for a perfect submission before wayfarer went global? I’ve probably reviewed about 30 stops so far and I think I’m fairly generous unless it’s obvious that it’s a duplicate or on school grounds or whatever. Submitted 4 stops that should be good and 1 maybe borderline. Hoping to get at least a few stops and maybe a gym in my neighborhood.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Time for the Wayne Gretzky pokestop submission challenge (the forums poster, not the hockey player)

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Contemplating building a little free library and installing in the neighborhood common area near our house. Those things are always gyms or pokestops.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Kinda wish I taught my good meltan a second move before I evolved him into melmetal. Ah well. I wont make the same mistake with Deino!

Deino and Meltan both cost the same for a second move (75 and 100 respectively) whether you teach it them pre- or post-evolution. It’s only the “baby” Pokemon (Pichu, Riolu, Bonsly etc) who are cheaper.

Ask me about my Meltan named “whoops” with a second move that cost me 100k dust.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

slave to my cravings posted:

Contemplating building a little free library and installing in the neighborhood common area near our house. Those things are always gyms or pokestops.

drat good idea

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Just make sure it's not on private property. I think they specifically say they won't allow them anymore if they're in your yard or something.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

When I hit 40, I wanna submit my neighbor's loquat tree. We call it The Giving Tree, because they let anyone who wants the fruit it bears to get them. No charge, just make sure you share, and help smaller children get some.

It's right at the edge of the yard, almost on the sidewalk.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

When I hit 40, I wanna submit my neighbor's loquat tree. We call it The Giving Tree, because they let anyone who wants the fruit it bears to get them. No charge, just make sure you share, and help smaller children get some.

It's right at the edge of the yard, almost on the sidewalk.

This will be rejected because it's on private property.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Froist posted:

Deino and Meltan both cost the same for a second move (75 and 100 respectively) whether you teach it them pre- or post-evolution. It’s only the “baby” Pokemon (Pichu, Riolu, Bonsly etc) who are cheaper.

Ask me about my Meltan named “whoops” with a second move that cost me 100k dust.

Ohh that makes a ton of sense.

I'm wondering if I should power my Lucario past 2500. It works great in Team Rocket leader raids but seems to just not have enough bulk to get a 3rd power up punch off. Then again I dont do much PVP anyway...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Wait, I won't be able to add my neighbor's little free library because it's a foot into the grass? How do you add anything that isn't in a park then?

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

A couple people in my town started to do that this past year once someone learned of that loophole.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

DizzyBum posted:

And also because it's a natural feature, unless it has a sign or something and the sign is the object.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I think as long as it’s not on private residential property (e.g. a single dwelling, someone’s yard, driveway) it’s fine. If it’s in a common area or near an apartment complex it should be okay. However, I think homeowners/businesses can request that a stop be removed if it is within a certain amount of meters from their property and is a nuisance etc. You could always try to submit it and see if it gets through. I suppose you could try to take pictures of it that don’t show houses.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

DizzyBum posted:

Man there's a private cemetery with 3 gyms and some stops forever chasing people off near me. I'm not sure private property matters that much

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Man there's a private cemetery with 3 gyms and some stops forever chasing people off near me. I'm not sure private property matters that much

Private property is about the only thing that Niantic does care about since it got them sued. But a lot of people don't know that they can contact Niantic to get stuff removed, and I don't think anyone's eager to tell them.

A neighborhood common area is totally fine though, I see a ton of new stops popping up because people find a mural or a statue or a couple pieces of playground equipment in the vicinity of apartment complexes.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

If it's actually private and it's a problem, then the owner can request the stops/gyms removed.

e:f;b

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

Ohh that makes a ton of sense.

I'm wondering if I should power my Lucario past 2500. It works great in Team Rocket leader raids but seems to just not have enough bulk to get a 3rd power up punch off. Then again I dont do much PVP anyway...

My Lucario is 2509 at level 36 so there’s probably not a ton extra you’ll get out of the last couple of levels. Lucario’s great for teasing out shields fast but kinda arguable for anything more imo

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

My Lucario is 2509 at level 36 so there’s probably not a ton extra you’ll get out of the last couple of levels. Lucario’s great for teasing out shields fast but kinda arguable for anything more imo

Counter hits like a truck after a couple power up punches though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I have away my only melmetal and will never get another, don't have a meteor mash Metagross, but I do have a 100iv Lucario and ir sound like I need to max him out. Is power up punch a second charge move i should get?

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

PathAsc posted:

Awesome, thanks!

I figured it would need soldering but that's fine. Did micromin work for years and it's relaxing as hell for me.

I'm tempted to just make a new case from scratch as a fun little project at this point because why not.

Time to break out the 3D printer...

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I’m annoyed that in Wayfarer if you tag a submission as a duplicate it just skips it instead of letting you decide which one is better.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I’ve been reading some of the wayfarer/ingress subreddits and there are some seriously salty/autistic reviewers who clearly just rate some things poorly out of spite and seem to take joy in the fact that they are some arbiter of POI justice. I suppose it’s good to have detailed people and you don’t want everything to be a POI but I can’t wrap my head around the fact that they seem to be doing it out of some moral code (for free) and not to make the games they play more fun. It’s really bizarre. I think it’s not quite the same for ingress but pogo is explicitly better with more pokestops and gyms everywhere. It seems like you would want to lean on the side of leniency when rating submissions especially when you are doing it for free. Hopefully the influx of new reviewers will help.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is blast burn infernape any good

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Is blast burn infernape any good

It's alright, not as good as Blaziken or Moltres. If you don't, it's worth to evolve a few

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

Counter hits like a truck after a couple power up punches though.

The trick is getting more than 2 PuPs off against level-40 scaled team rocket dudes ime

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The trick is getting more than 2 PuPs off against level-40 scaled team rocket dudes ime

I had written up a big long post, but this illustrates it better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEWN02VuZ_s

Farm the first pokemon, then abuse the free turns you get every switch/charge move thrown. He gets 6 PuPs there doing this.

You need the right match-up to really take advantage, but this rule applies to everything Rocket-related.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Old Swerdlow posted:

I’m annoyed that in Wayfarer if you tag a submission as a duplicate it just skips it instead of letting you decide which one is better.

It’s unclear to me how exactly this works, but tagging something as a duplicate will create a review task where others get to choose which location/picture/title more accurately describes the thing. But yeah, you don’t get any input unless you also happen to see that other review task.

The other problem is that you can’t edit the description. I reviewed a really neat statue the other day and was curious enough to look it up online, at which point I wanted to improve on the lovely description the dude submitted. But I couldn’t :shrug:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh I just love looking at guides to the Team Rocket leaders and like 7/9 of the recommended pokemon I've never even seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I have been using a S2 cell overlay to strategically submit new pokestops. Sure, this stop is in the corner of this playfield, but the center of the field is in a cell that already has a stop.