Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I know I've seen others having trouble with 'em, too, but I was wondering, what are some tips for dealing with BTs? I get that it's basically hot and cold, and you use the odradek or whatever it's called to sense their direction and distance, but in all my encounters so far, they've managed to get their hands on me. Of course, due to that, I also know it's easy to get free from them, but it's still a nuisance. I find myself going way way out of the way to try and go around them. Surely I'm doing something wrong. Maybe there's a good video on how to best handle em?

They're visible when you stop moving. You only need to hold your breath when the thing is orange and spinning, you can move normally (crouched) while it's blue and clicking. If you make a noise and one notices you (the scanner will stop moving and just point all 4 fins in its direction) you aren't instantly boned, the PT is going to move toward where it heard you so just quietly move away from its handprints.

If you need to take a breath while you're in orange spinning range stop moving before you release the trigger to get your stamina back. Usually won't notice you.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh wow, at 30 hours I just now noticed that if you complete someone else's structure it tells you the top 3 people who contributed to it

Gotta help people for more social validation! Kojima, what have you done

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I know I've seen others having trouble with 'em, too, but I was wondering, what are some tips for dealing with BTs? I get that it's basically hot and cold, and you use the odradek or whatever it's called to sense their direction and distance, but in all my encounters so far, they've managed to get their hands on me. Of course, due to that, I also know it's easy to get free from them, but it's still a nuisance. I find myself going way way out of the way to try and go around them. Surely I'm doing something wrong. Maybe there's a good video on how to best handle em?

To add to what other people have said, the cord cutting cuffs that you receive in Chapter 5 were extremely useful for me, unexpectedly. Figured I wouldn't use them once but they were a game changer.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You can charge up the bloodgun by holding the fire button. If you're plinking away with uncharged shots and wondering why the ghosts arent, uh, dying - try hitting them with a fully charged round.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I wonder if people would still do as many things if they knew they would never get likes for it

I wonder if the game will ever ask that question

If you know the answer, don’t post.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Why the hell would you stop the big bad's plan, then get a long explanation of their motivations? It's such an awkward way to do it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SardonicTyrant posted:

Why the hell would you stop the big bad's plan, then get a long explanation of their motivations? It's such an awkward way to do it.

Sounds like you never went to Villain School

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder if people would still do as many things if they knew they would never get likes for it

I wonder if the game will ever ask that question

If you know the answer, don’t post.

I just hope that if I finish someone else's building, it really does send the data to their game and it really does just work like that.

If the game is fudging it, don't post

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Wolfsheim posted:

Poking around SA games threads has led me to believe that PC gaming is exclusively used for either spending several hours getting 100 mods to work together without crashing every five minutes or waiting until a game is $5 on a steam sale, cheating yourself unlimited resources then dicking around for about an hour before never playing it again.

I can spend time getting mods to work if I have fun doing it, and I can cheat a little if it overcomes a genuine problem, something most people agree is an issue, but I'm also a big believer in things being stressful or taking a long time for a reason. You could probably mod in a harvester in farming sim that covered the entire with of a field, but what the gently caress would be the point?

I'm gonna mod MGSV a bit for my current playthorough, which will be my third or fourth, but that's because the resource/time management in that game is actually kinda borked, and because I've already overcome the challenge (several times).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

I take it back, she is that bad

This just got hilarious

Edit: sam not shaking his hand

the loving thumbs up with neon hearts

they knew exactly what this scene was lol

Keep checking your emails for follow ups on that.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

What the hell Kojima, why did you save Die-Hardman's acting chops until the very goddamn end?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Poking around SA games threads has led me to believe that PC gaming is exclusively used for either spending several hours getting 100 mods to work together without crashing every five minutes or waiting until a game is $5 on a steam sale, cheating yourself unlimited resources then dicking around for about an hour before never playing it again.

Games doesn't like playing games until they have a sleeper hit then can sperg and shitpost about. So it goes.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Thanks for the BT tips. I am still pretty early, so I don't have any of the handy tools yet, but it does help to know I can see them if I am still whole I scan. I knew it'd worked before but wasn't sure why it wasn't showing their location every time I scanned.

Appreciate it.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Staying crouched and keeping the spinner perpendicular to my path of travel got me through all the early BT areas no problem. That said, like others have posted, pushing to chapter 3 showers you in Anti-BT tools that trivializes them.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Thanks for the BT tips. I am still pretty early, so I don't have any of the handy tools yet, but it does help to know I can see them if I am still whole I scan. I knew it'd worked before but wasn't sure why it wasn't showing their location every time I scanned.

The best general tip I got about this game was -- stick to the main story and don't go chasing general deliveries / side quests until you're into Chapter Three.

Chapter Three is huge and throughout it you will get all kinds of tools for dealing with BTs, MULEs, and traversing the environment, which end up making the entire experience far more enjoyable.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Boy that trike you find in chapter two, I have abused the poo poo out of this thing. I foolishly assumed standard orders would run out but they seem to keep refreshing. gently caress it, time to deliver that aid. Also holy moly the first time you complete a 500+ player feedback single item delivery and get 8 levels in my unleveled upper star. What is it, binding?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

haha holy poo poo, I thought tvtropes was joking when they said the final cutscenes were two hours long.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SardonicTyrant posted:

haha holy poo poo, I thought tvtropes was joking when they said the final cutscenes were two hours long.

I knew they were and I still wasn’t ready for it. loving fantastic closer IMO.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Ehh, the 40 minute exposition over everything you learned about playing the game for 30 hours before was unnecessary and annoying.

The part after that was cool though. It's a shame the main character doesn't get interesting until you're done with the game.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

At the end of Chapter 7? I just delivered the cargo to the Chiral Relay but now I'm confused on what to do it just says Find a way to cross the tar belt. Die-Hardman's like you probably know how to already!... I don't tho? lmao what am I supposed to do at this point, I have to run all the way back and complete the safe house?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know it's asking a lot, but even posting about the ending in vague terms is spoilery imo. Would appreciate more spoiler tags rather than less.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tertius Oculum posted:

At the end of Chapter 7? I just delivered the cargo to the Chiral Relay but now I'm confused on what to do it just says Find a way to cross the tar belt. Die-Hardman's like you probably know how to already!... I don't tho? lmao what am I supposed to do at this point, I have to run all the way back and complete the safe house?

This got me stuck a bit too. Die Hardman will eventually suggest the solution and then immediately say “I never would have thought of that myself!” when you do it, which is funny.

Hint: Think big stuff coming out of the ground during a key part of the game earlier, but not when you wanted it to happen.

Spoiled: There’s some BTs near the shoreline on a little peninsula nearby. Let them grab and drag you down, then get ready to run like hell.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Black Griffon posted:

I know it's asking a lot, but even posting about the ending in vague terms is spoilery imo. Would appreciate more spoiler tags rather than less.
There's a thing that happens, and then some more stuff happens after that.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Tertius Oculum posted:

there's an email which should give you a teeny-tiny hint; it took me a few minutes to figure it out but there's a BT hotspot close by for a reason, things tend to resurface when the big ones appear

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

American McGay posted:

I could just say spoiler tag your vagueposting, dipshit, but I was trying to be diplomatic.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Black Griffon posted:

I thought the sex scene with Norman and Mads was very tasteful.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

I thought the sex scene with Norman and Mads was very tasteful.
gross

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

American McGay posted:

Kojima does it again, gently caress

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Chapter 9 gear Remote Grenade Launcher is really fun hahah

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I don't know entirely what the deal is with them but it looks like the gold 'drag you down' tar bodies just game over you instead of giving you a fight.

That'll make clearing this area annoying.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Finished the game. Overall I thought the story was mediocre but the gameplay was great. I'm looking forward to the next game that plays like this.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i desperately want the next big soulsy fantasy action rpg to use this game's inventory system. combat could be super basic but i want to live out the grognard hexcrawl dream in a videogame.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Impermanent posted:

i desperately want the next big soulsy fantasy action rpg to use this game's inventory system. combat could be super basic but i want to live out the grognard hexcrawl dream in a videogame.
Ever play Outward?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Ever play Outward?

no. is it good?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Impermanent posted:

no. is it good?
Its no Death Stranding, but it is a game about backpacking into an uncharted RPG world, where the backpack itself has mechanical weight and isn't just a big pocket you stuff things into like Skyrim or whatever. Like for instance it has a dedicated "remove backpack" button, for when poo poo gets too intense to have all that weight on you. Its a lot more survivally than this game though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

jesus christ the novelist's son is a gigantic rear end in a top hat

just sign up for the loving network so I can complete the road already, holy poo poo, I've done five deliveries to you and you haven't gotten to even one star jfc

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
i have not been able to use MULE bodies as bombs wtf kojima.

corpses don't do anything? am i missing something?

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004
Just finished after a pretty straight forward 40 hr playthrough. I don't know if the game was good but if you like it enough to make it through chapter 3 it's worth finishing. Incredibly ambitious and different. Having played through the last 4-5 chapters in one sitting the end was emotionally draining in a good way. I'll never touch the game again and probably uninstall tomorrow after listening to some songs again.

One thing I don't quite remember Did Cliff have a similar cross/heal mark on his torso? Can't remember if I'm mixing Sam and Cliff. If so, how does that factor in story? Always figured he was beach only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingNastidon posted:

Just finished after a pretty straight forward 40 hr playthrough. I don't know if the game was good but if you like it enough to make it through chapter 3 it's worth finishing. Incredibly ambitious and different. Having played through the last 4-5 chapters in one sitting the end was emotionally draining in a good way. I'll never touch the game again and probably uninstall tomorrow after listening to some songs again.

One thing I don't quite remember Did Cliff have a similar cross/heal mark on his torso? Can't remember if I'm mixing Sam and Cliff. If so, how does that factor in story? Always figured he was beach only.
He did in one specific dreamlike cutscene but it's not really clear what that was supposed to mean and I don't think it should be taken as a literal "Cliff was a BB too omg" kinda thing and more of a weird ties that bind us thing.