Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

all this is clicks and buzzes to me and I'm glad I don't do competitive PvP lol, I just wanna pal around with my lil cryin baby pokemon and clown on some fools as I work to be numero uno in the region

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So does the ice cube increase defense, or flat-out nullify hits? Seems weird to have a high defense stat become a low defense stat when the defense stat is never part of the equation.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Bee posted:

So does the ice cube increase defense, or flat-out nullify hits? Seems weird to have a high defense stat become a low defense stat when the defense stat is never part of the equation.

Both. Keep in mind only physical attacks break the ice so the defense boost can still be relevant for special attacks or for stuff like Mold breaker.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 15, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

extra row of teeth posted:

U turn, scald, ice beam, ??? Dark pulse, shadow ball, maybe ice shard?

I dunno, it’s movepool kind of blows :( why the gently caress did they give it so many physical moves and Swords Dance with base 85 attack?! I don’t see many viable coverage moves tbh, scald and fish for a burn, u turn to scout, blast dragons with ice moves. The dark and ghost moves are nice but there are a billion water types that fill the sweeper niche with better stats and coverage.

IMO Inteleon won’t be competitively viable unless he gets some serious move tutor help in Pokemon Gun.

For the life of me I don't know what they didn't give it a better set of special options, or at the very loving least buff mud shot's base power. As it stands I think I'll roll with snipe shot, ice beam, focus energy and dark pulse in the future. It's the best coverage I can manage until they give the poor thing more options.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Flopsy posted:

For the life of me I don't know what they didn't give it a better set of special options, or at the very loving least buff mud shot's base power. As it stands I think I'll roll with snipe shot, ice beam, focus energy and dark pulse in the future. It's the best coverage I can manage until they give the poor thing more options.

This is literally Greninja's coverage.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Infinitum posted:

What is the best name for Sobble, and why is it Fingerbang?

I love my emo step-son :3:

Jason Boohourne

Jack Bawwer

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

If you are aiming for competitive and slotting a special water attacker on the team Always Pick Scald. The burn it can cause’s HP dip is negligible since it got nerfed but being able to half a physical attacker’s attacks is HUGE. A bulky water can sit there and fire off scalds all day on a physical attacker and fish for burns while tanking hits, maybe spamming recover in the meantime (let’s say Milotic in this example even though the world’s prettiest oarfish has fallen victim to power creep).

Even a fragile special sweeper can help out the team if their scald lands on a physical attacker and they go down afterwards. It’s better than the extra damage surf would get you in most situations.

That’s my scalding ( :haw: ) hot take.

Flopsy posted:

The same reason Flareon didn’t get Flare Blitz until waaaay after anyone cared.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

This is literally Greninja's coverage.

Greninja has protean.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

RatHat posted:

Both. Keep in mind only physical attacks break the ice so the defense boost can still be relevant for special attacks or for stuff like Mold breaker.

That's actually pretty smart, and I dig it.

I wouldn't be surprise if his ability needed fresh hail just so he couldn't stall out unprepared teams, though.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

intelleon is the first of many new pokemon to feel the pain of no hidden power

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Greninja has protean.

This is standard on Battle Bond Greninja. Protean Greninja runs random poo poo like Spikes, U-Turn, Low Kick, Gunk Shot in addition to the standard stuff. Battle Bond Greninja is still perfectly serviceable when it doesn't activate Battle Bond, because just the base stats on Greninja are pretty good.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I thought of an interesting idea for doubles.

Using cursola for perish. Ody or just to use perish song, paired with drednaw using it's jaw lock to keep the target in until the perish count kills it.

No idea how reliable that would be. I call it The Ocean's Revenge.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

This is standard on Battle Bond Greninja. Protean Greninja runs random poo poo like Spikes, U-Turn, Low Kick, Gunk Shot in addition to the standard stuff. Battle Bond Greninja is still perfectly serviceable when it doesn't activate Battle Bond, because just the base stats on Greninja are pretty good.

I wouldn't know, I don't particularly care for the set up on battle bond.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Elblanco posted:

So I thought of an interesting idea for doubles.

Using cursola for perish. Ody or just to use perish song, paired with drednaw using it's jaw lock to keep the target in until the perish count kills it.

No idea how reliable that would be. I call it The Ocean's Revenge.

That would be fun to see in action, though whirlwind might sour it.

I love when a new gen comes out because all sorts of crazy strats come out of the woodwork before people figure out the top strats and the meta kind of settles into a circlejerk of the top dozen mons

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

extra row of teeth posted:

That would be fun to see in action, though whirlwind might sour it.

I love when a new gen comes out because all sorts of crazy strats come out of the woodwork before people figure out the top strats and the meta kind of settles into a circlejerk of the top dozen mons

loving whirlwind ruins everything man. Would've rather they cut that out instead of hidden power.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Why can't I pick all the starters? This is discrimination, Gamefreak.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Why can't I pick all the starters? This is discrimination, Gamefreak.

Same reason they won't give them their hidden abilities at the start and make you suffer through their standard crap abilities.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Inteleon will be ou because of its speed and special attack. It seems too good not to be.

I suspect choice scarf will be the most common set, though life orb and specs would also be good.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Think I've settled on Shield/Scorbunny. Does this game unlock at midnight.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Toxitricity's Amped Up form being tied to physical focused natures is really annoying, because it's stats slightly favor special attacks.

EDIT: And mixed attackers suck.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 15, 2019

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Infinitum posted:

What is the best name for Sobble, and why is it Fingerbang?

I love my emo step-son :3:

its James Pond

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Countblanc posted:

its James Pond

James Pond is a fish

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Toxitricity's Amped Up form being tied to physical focused natures is really annoying, because it's stats slightly favor special attacks.

EDIT: And mixed attackers suck.

True, but the Amped Up form gets Shift Gear and still has serviceable physical attack and a good move pool. Also, I know nature changing mints are a thing, but I wonder if it would change the form along with the nature?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Evil Eagle posted:

James Pond is a fish

he was but now hes Inteleon

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Welcome to the Pokemon Megathread, home of the first time anyone has thought about James Pond in twenty years

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Flopsy posted:

I wouldn't know, I don't particularly care for the set up on battle bond.

????????????

Bitching about lack of coverage without actually understanding what that means is... a choice. Ash-Greninja is actually considered quite a bit better than Protean Greninja for the record. Water + Ice + Ghost is only resisted by Water/Darks and Water/Normal, of which only Crawdaunt remains in the game. On Crawdaunt, even a Timid Scarf Inteleon cleanly 2hkos with Hydro Pump (Specs can ohko without Torrent, always ohkos with), it resists Aqua Jet, and also choiced Inteleon will often be running U-turn as its 4th slot, which does about 40% to Crawdaunt and cleanly gets it out.

Also I will point out that according to the Pokemon type coverage calculator (https://pokemondb.net/tools/type-coverage), Water/Ice/Ghost is better than Water/Ice/Dark (Greninja), Water/Ice/Fairy (Primarina), and Water/Ground (Gyarados).

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Plasbad posted:

True, but the Amped Up form gets Shift Gear and still has serviceable physical attack and a good move pool. Also, I know nature changing mints are a thing, but I wonder if it would change the form along with the nature?

Serebii and the discord note that the mints won't change the form, but after the evolution, could change the 10% stat gain/loss to something more beneficial to what you want.

Which makes me wonder, are there the neutral nature mints? Lax, Hardy, etc. mints?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Plasbad posted:

It should it's just the buffs that get moved around not the nature itself.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://twitter.com/NAI6IX/status/1195117955786399744?s=19

Hyper beam animation.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Plasbad posted:

They don’t. Nature mints only change what stats you get +10%/-10% on, not the nature itself.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

????????????

Bitching about lack of coverage without actually understanding what that means is... a choice. Water + Ice + Ghost is only resisted by Water/Darks and Water/Normal, of which only Crawdaunt remains in the game. On Crawdaunt, even a Timid Scarf Inteleon cleanly 2hkos with Hydro Pump (Specs can ohko without Torrent, always ohkos with), it resists Aqua Jet, and also choiced Inteleon will often be running U-turn as its 4th slot, which does about 40% to Crawdaunt and cleanly gets it out.

Also I will point out that according to the Pokemon type coverage calculator (https://pokemondb.net/tools/type-coverage), Water/Ice/Ghost is better than Water/Ice/Dark (Greninja), Water/Ice/Fairy (Primarina), and Water/Ground (Gyarados).

That's nice honey. I was talking about having to roll with regular greninja but by all means climb up my rear end it's all the rage these days.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I can’t believe Sobble is loving dead.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So a few q's

1) Are bottle caps around/are they easier to get and are they easier to actually use?
2) I remember seeing something about pokemon being able to get egg moves just from being in the day care center is that true?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

RatHat posted:

I can’t believe Sobble is loving dead.

Naming Sobble Vegeta.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hot drat I’m using hyper beam

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

Hot drat I’m using hyper beam

That's where the double kick money went apparently.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So a few q's

1) Are bottle caps around/are they easier to get and are they easier to actually use?
2) I remember seeing something about pokemon being able to get egg moves just from being in the day care center is that true?

1) Still around and just as annoying to use since a Pokémon still needs to be 100 to hyper train.
2) Yes, Pokémon of the same species can learn egg moves from each other in the daycare.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RatHat posted:

1) Still around and just as annoying to use since a Pokémon still needs to be 100 to hyper train.
2) Yes, Pokémon of the same species can learn egg moves from each other in the daycare.

Ah so my eugenics project is still faster than not. drat I really thought we're be be getting defunded by now.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ah so my eugenics project is still faster than not. drat I really thought we're be be getting defunded by now.

They'll have to send in the SWAT teams to get us out of this business pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bringing back some of the original sounds effects from RBY was such a fantastic flavor choice.