Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I think I may be misunderstanding how blood grenades work. I went to do the mission where you test them out on BTs, having equipped five individual grenades and carrying 3 blood pouches (still figuring out what I am doing, obviously, so I dunno if this was necessary or not). Anyway, I threw what I thought was all my grenades, and then when I got back to a distro center, it looked like I still had 4 grenades, while a 5th one said (Used)? I'm confused af and I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding a mechanic or if I somehow miscounted or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Grenades come in stacks of 5. So what you probably thought was 5 grenades was actually 25.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

American McGay posted:

Grenades come in stacks of 5. So what you probably thought was 5 grenades was actually 25.

Ooooh poo poo, okay. This UI can be less than user-friendly, lol.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Also, hate to double post but this is sorta a separate thing entirely: I was told by, I think, Die-Hardman, that once I get to Port Knot, there's a lake, and it made it sound like I should finish up this first area before I advance. Is that the case, or is it one of the many times a game is totally full of poo poo about that? Like, can I come back and finish maxing out connectivity or whatever, or what?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It takes you to a new map but it also lets you go back to the old map whenever you want so it's not really that big of a deal. Advance if you're liking the story and you want to see new stuff, or stick around and finish some more orders if you're enjoy it. There's nothing vital or that you can miss by taking the boat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Something I don't think the game tells you, when you have a PCC equipped, hold down on the d pad for a radial menu with all the building options you have, as well as telling how many materials you'd need (ie 800 for a bridge etc)

And on that note you can put bridges in some really cool places

The lack of photo mode is killing me

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

jesus christ the novelist's son is a gigantic rear end in a top hat

just sign up for the loving network so I can complete the road already, holy poo poo, I've done five deliveries to you and you haven't gotten to even one star jfc

Yeah there's something weird with his star rating. He was stuck at like 0.8 stars for me for a while, but then something triggered to let him move up a star. It might have been reading his emails or doing certain deliveries to him?

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Also, hate to double post but this is sorta a separate thing entirely: I was told by, I think, Die-Hardman, that once I get to Port Knot, there's a lake, and it made it sound like I should finish up this first area before I advance. Is that the case, or is it one of the many times a game is totally full of poo poo about that? Like, can I come back and finish maxing out connectivity or whatever, or what?

You will be able to come back but you won't really want to because all the cool stuff is on the other side of the lake.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Something neat I noticed thinking about Higgs after the fact: Just like his namesake, he’s incredibly important for reasons we never really totally get to see, is fairly interesting when he shows up, and is ultimately completely irrelevant to the details of everything else going on.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Raptor1033 posted:

Boy that trike you find in chapter two, I have abused the poo poo out of this thing. I foolishly assumed standard orders would run out but they seem to keep refreshing. gently caress it, time to deliver that aid. Also holy moly the first time you complete a 500+ player feedback single item delivery and get 8 levels in my unleveled upper star. What is it, binding?

Jesus loving christ. I rebuilt the one section of road right outside Lake Knot, promptly got 9,000 player uses and shot from lvl 21 bridge-link to lvl 51.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Some people put their zip lines in the most useless places

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The junk dealer quest line is hands down the strangest loving thing I've seen in this game yet

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I really like most of this game. I love running around and delivering stuff and finding new ways to get places. I also really love the community building aspect. The one thing that is really annoying though is all the timefall areas everywhere, especially the ones you are forced into for quests. They are not interesting or challenging, just crouch, walk slowly and throw some grenades. They just feel like a time waster and every time I have to go through one I keep thinking about how I could be building a highway instead. It’s the only thing that keeps it from being great for me so far.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

lets hang out posted:

The junk dealer quest line is hands down the strangest loving thing I've seen in this game yet

I really hope there’s some kind of story behind this because there is nothing else quite like it in the whole game. Test footage you didn’t want to throw out? Weird favor to a friend? Assistant mocap director trying to get laid!? The world needs to know!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lets hang out posted:

Oh don't worry, things get way stranger

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Huh. I built half of the freeway through the mountains but there was a segment started by somebody else that is not continuous. So although I’m sure you have to build most of your freeway yourself it looks like you don’t have to start every segment

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Haaaa I just realized I delivered a box of painkillers to Max Payne. Wonderful.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spite posted:

i have not been able to use MULE bodies as bombs wtf kojima.

corpses don't do anything? am i missing something?

They're probably just knocked out. The game will absolutely let you know if you kill someone. It makes the baby freak out, skullguy calls you and yells at you, you can't miss it.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Finished the game earlier today. 52 hours, hardly a completionist run but I definitely spent a lot of time on roads and zipline networks.

I think I've seen similar takes from other posters already, but I'll put my spin on it anyways. I was really surprised at how much the core game play mechanics engaged me, and just how much pleasure I could derive from walking around Greenland. Chapter one and two, I was concerned that things might get stale as I progressed, but that didn't end up happening- one part the natural flow state that well-designed mechanics induce, one part the progression of tools and mechanics at your disposal, driving progress forward at an increasing clip. More than just a walking simulator though, I was genuinely struck by how well Kojima managed to pull off "building connections" as a game-play mechanic and theme. I've always appreciated him as an auteur, but he REALLY proved his chops with this game IMO. Sure, the writing and storytelling is hamfisted at times, but his ability to weave that central theme so effectively through every facet of the game really blew me away. I spent the entirety of Sunday building out a zipline network not because I wanted to 5-star all the local shelters, but because the actual building of a network, the creation of connections, scratched some itch deep inside my brain. Every time that perfect ladder was right where I needed it to be, I mashed that like button out of a real sense of gratitude, and hoped the player on the other end got that little oxytocin hit. That one zipline I built on the PERFECT mountain peak that got me mounds of likes made me feel proud that I had managed to help so many other players. The later parts of the Clifford Unger arc really got me going, my finance who was only paying half attention to the game was legit bawling at the end of chapter 11. And the ultimate twist there, legit good poo poo.

After the earliest trailers, I knew I was going to HAVE to get and play this game, no matter if it was good or bad. That someone was willing to just throw a pile of cash at Kojima and allow him to go hog-wild was gift enough for me, no matter the ultimate quality of the finished product. But this managed to beat my expectations. I'm conscientiously trying to avoid dialing the Kojima Fanboy setting up to 11 here, but goddamn, the guy loving proved himself with this one.

On a more focused note, one thing I really appreciated but haven't seen much (any?) discussion on: The effective use of camera positioning to effect and invoke player emotion. The tightness and claustrophobia of the tight over the shoulder camera positioning during high tension moments, made me feel even more hemmed in and anxious. The wide sweeping shots when Low Roar hit at that perfect moment to make you slow down just a bit and reflect. The widest shot of all during the very last delivery in the game, paired with that music choice? Jesus loving christ.

Games gud.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Best review I red until now. Sums it up pretty perfectly, imo, and matches my own experience with the game

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Spite posted:

i have not been able to use MULE bodies as bombs wtf kojima.

corpses don't do anything? am i missing something?
I think the reason why there's no actual gameplay effect to actually killing people is that having them turn into BTs would be positive feedback on being murderous, even hours down the line

so I give it half on half that it's intentionally designed to be disappointing, or dead bodies turning into BTs did not playtest well

apparently this is supposed to be blacked out, sorry

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 15, 2019

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I think the reason why there's no actual gameplay effect to actually killing people is that having them turn into BTs would be positive feedback on being murderous, even hours down the line

so I give it half on half that it's intentionally designed to be disappointing, or dead bodies turning into BTs did not playtest well

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 15, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

endgame question

I assume it was coincidence, but I stopped playing right after the higgs fight and picked up the game the following morning, to make the looooong journey back to lake knot. At this part, the constant heavy rain starts. I got like several dozen of notifications that the stuff I built was destroyed. I got notifications that some of my stuff is damaged earlier, of course, but it was always "spread" out, but at that point I got like > 50 notifications.

Now I don't know if I actually built that much stuff the very first night I played the game, but it could be...

Was this just a coincidence, or did it happen to others as well that at this point in the game, most of your stuff is destroyed due to the heavy rain?

I assume it was coincidence, which would also indicate that the stuff sticks around for one week if it's not repaired

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I'm in chapter 6 or 7 and suddenly my BB has a name, mentioned without explanation in the Deadman private room scene. Did I miss something???

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I have not cleared the game. I am a tremendous fan of Kojima's previous games, particularly MGS1, Policenauts, and ZOE2, although I enjoyed Boktai a lot and I like basically all of the games of his that I've played. I also really like Yoji Shinkawa's mechanical designs and artwork, and I think he did an excellent job here. That's disclaimers and administrivia out of the way.

I have cleared through Chapter 5 (edit: I am in Chapter 6), although I am taking my time to do a pretty thorough completionist run. I've 5-starred every connection point that I've had access to thus far, for a total of 28; sometimes it has been more trying than others, though it is rarely boring or grindy. The sheer amount of freedom you have as a player to come up with your own routes to destinations is great, for the most part - I understand why the roads exist (and have collected almost 200k likes, chiefly in roads and bridges), but if you're going for 5-stars on everybody you are going to see a lot of them, and the strongest point of the gameplay for me has been innovating and implementing my own design. The highways in the Central region take a chunk of that out of your hands, and cost a staggering amount of resources to boot (although I'm sure this changes person-to-person or server-to-server?). I don't wish they weren't there, but the sheer volume of highway time was not something I was prepared for. I think if I could do things differently, going back in time, I would have spent less time on the highways generally. I have the finished highways stretching from Lake Knot to South Knot and Mountain Knot, and often prioritized completing the roads to each major city before doing deliveries en masse to those locations. This has occasionally trivialized what I imagine the difficulty was supposed to be, as I just drove Mama from South Knot to Mountain Knot without incident and was completely perplexed when she died, as she was mid-conversation with me when we arrived.

The other issue I've noticed is not an issue, per se, but something that speaks to parts of game design that interest me. "Replayability" is often thought of solely as "the fun derived from starting the game over from scratch," e.g. replaying the entire game, and for some titles that works, that's great. I also tend to think of replayability as the fun derived from just picking up the game and bombing around in it, doing whatever you like, and putting it down when you're done with it. Recently, Resident Evil 2's remake and Spider-Man are the clearest illustrations of those principles - I don't think I'd ever want to start Spider-Man over again from scratch, but I still play it a few times a week just to swing around and bust up small crimes on a file in which I've cleared the game, whereas RE2make is fun to begin again from nothing and doing weird challenge runs or trying stuff you didn't try before.

I put up all that preface to say that the latter type of game tends to lock a lot of stuff behind story progression in terms of what you can do, and some of the stuff locked behind the story represents a radical change in the options available to the player at any given time. Bloodborne comes to mind, although I'm sure there are now hacked chalice workarounds - if you wanted to use the Burial Blade for your build, you have to beat the drat game to do so. I don't see myself ever starting Death Stranding over again because of the sheer volume of stuff that I have now, and I'm sure I'm going to get even crazier stuff the further I progress. I don't think that is necessarily bad design, though - I'm just curious to see if the game is still fun to play after I've essentially completed it. My hunch says it will be.

I have nearly 50 hours played and the story has been consistently good. It has moments where characters will speak cryptically, and it has metaphor and allegory littered throughout, but it doesn't have any of the gibberish/incomprehensible nonsense dialogue that I was concerned about pre-release. Everybody makes sense diegetically, even if it takes a few extra cutscenes for you the player to catch up. The narrative is also respectful enough of the player's intelligence to have sparingly little Rod-and-Don conversations, where one character will just drop exposition like "As you well know, Sam Porter Bridges..." that serves no purpose other than to get players on the same page as the characters. It's refreshing.

The weakest parts of the game to me are all represented by the BTs. I've been playing on Hard to get those sweet Legend of Legends ratings (81 and counting!) and there has never been a BT engagement that hasn't been trivially easy if painstakingly slow. I don't know if my Zodiac sign impacts things or my selected difficulty does, but I can't even make out the outlines of BTs until they are directly on top of me; even so, there is a lot of leeway afforded to the player even on Hard for when you actually should be crouch-walking, when you should be holding your breath, etc. Combat itself isn't a chore - raiding camps is fun and profitable - but BTs specifically have been a drag so far, trying to get by exclusively on creep factor and atmosphere. It was working for the first couple dozen hours, but now that the novelty has worn off it's less "oh poo poo ghost guys!!" and more "aw gently caress, ghost guys :/" I've now lost my BB/"Lou" which has rendered me unable to see BTs at all and it's still just a matter of moving slowly and pressing the Cut Cord prompt when instructed to. Building a zipline highway from Mountain Knot City to the Mountaineer was satisfying if only to completely bypass an annoying stretch of timefall snow and climbing and BTs in tandem.

Overall I would say I'm amazingly high on this game. It has been an absolute blast to play and experience, though it must be really lethargic to watch. My girlfriend has never made it more than an hour without politely excusing herself, even if I'm riveted; I imagine this is not a great game to stream. So much of the experience is in actually playing it, and grinning like a moron when you find that clutch climbing anchor or generator, or planning your routes to maximize your efficiency, or making a mad dash to deliver a pizza, on foot, from Timefall Farm to the northern-most part of the goddamn map. If the game can maintain this level of engagement from me until the credits roll it'd be tough not to call it a genuine masterwork, and probably the best game of the year.

Triarii posted:

Yeah there's something weird with his star rating. He was stuck at like 0.8 stars for me for a while, but then something triggered to let him move up a star. It might have been reading his emails or doing certain deliveries to him?

It's delivering, near as I can tell. Several of the shelter folks will not want to join the chiral network at all at first, and some will only join up with Bridges instead of the UCA; continuing to make deliveries of any type to them seems to be what triggers the change of heart (and they'll ask you to connect them).

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 15, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

A Big... Dog posted:

I'm in chapter 6 or 7 and suddenly my BB has a name, mentioned without explanation in the Deadman private room scene. Did I miss something???

I think it's unclear at the moment, but it seems to happen at completely different points for different people (up until it's necessary, story-wise). To me, it happened suddenly while I was making a delivery. From one moment to the next => BB got a name. I assume it has something to do with the BB connection level, and once it's high enough, Sam starts calling him Lou (it's explained in the story who Lou is later on)

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

tuo posted:

I think it's unclear at the moment, but it seems to happen at completely different points for different people (up until it's necessary, story-wise). To me, it happened suddenly while I was making a delivery. From one moment to the next => BB got a name. I assume it has something to do with the BB connection level, and once it's high enough, Sam starts calling him Lou (it's explained in the story who Lou is later on)

Cool, thanks. I thought I'd missed some sort of grand naming ceremony soundtracked by LOU ROAR or something.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

tuo posted:

endgame question

I assume it was coincidence, but I stopped playing right after the higgs fight and picked up the game the following morning, to make the looooong journey back to lake knot. At this part, the constant heavy rain starts. I got like several dozen of notifications that the stuff I built was destroyed. I got notifications that some of my stuff is damaged earlier, of course, but it was always "spread" out, but at that point I got like > 50 notifications.

Now I don't know if I actually built that much stuff the very first night I played the game, but it could be...

Was this just a coincidence, or did it happen to others as well that at this point in the game, most of your stuff is destroyed due to the heavy rain?

I assume it was coincidence, which would also indicate that the stuff sticks around for one week if it's not repaired

I think it's just that they wanted to force the player to have to endure a long and exhausting trek back across the country without the help of zip lines and vehicles and charging stations. Pretty sure they just artificially remove most player/community objects during this time and then blame it on the excessive timefall. I don't think they're actually destroyed.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Just finished it as well. lmao at the cutscenes that just keep rolling, I love it. Thank you Kojima :swoon:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Is it literally two hours of uninterrupted cutscenes so I can just make a bowl of popcorn and sit back, or do I have to keep pressing buttons and poo poo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's closer to 3 hours with plenty of interruptions.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

American McGay posted:

I think it's just that they wanted to force the player to have to endure a long and exhausting trek back across the country without the help of zip lines and vehicles and charging stations. Pretty sure they just artificially remove most player/community objects during this time and then blame it on the excessive timefall. I don't think they're actually destroyed.

Makes sense and is also very fitting for that moment, imo.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Before moving ahead beyond the opening of Chapter Five, I circled back to build roads and deliver things all over the place from Chapter Three.

My last feat before striking out for Mountain Knot City was to do a combined Pizza Delivery and single order of 2520kg of metals/ceramics from South Knot City to Port Knot City (and the pizza lover west of there). One trip. A bit over 11 minutes on the pizza. It only all fit in my truck by carrying one of the ceramics packages so it would ride shotgun leaving room for the pizza to lie flat in the back...

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Something that really bothers me is that, when you find prepper shelters by yourself, without anything to deliver to them, they get marked on your map but that's it. There's no chat option or something to get the connection going. You have to have lost cargo or a delivery specifically to them to start earning anything. Sometimes their terminals will have an order that just has you get something from an area for them, so that's sort of a kickstarter. But I've run across one or two where I'm just like "welp, I guess that's on my map now, time to drive to every goddamn place and hope there's an order for that guy there".

On that note, I really wish they had expanded on the map functions a LOT. Why can't I see which orders a certain place has? You can check out all private/share lockers at a place (even online Postboxes) by pressing X on them on the map, but it only shows you how many orders a place has, not what they are. Why are there zero filters for poo poo on the map? If you won't let me see the location of the building in my little social menu that lets me see my likes, why can't I at least filter the map for "stuff you built" and some other things? Especially all the goddamn signs clutter everything so much it's nearly impossible to make poo poo out on some parts of the map.

These are all really just nitpicks but the map annoyed me more and more as time went on. Somehow I still can't put the game down despite finishing it on Sunday.

sneak edit: Also to whoever posted about the pavers with no materials or progress being in an area that's not connected to the chiral network, THANK YOU. I totally brainfarted on that and checked, and for at least some of them, that's completely true. Now if only there was an easy way to find the places and then the orders to deliver to those places so I could connect them :mad:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

abraxas posted:

On that note, I really wish they had expanded on the map functions a LOT. Why can't I see which orders a certain place has? You can check out all private/share lockers at a place (even online Postboxes) by pressing X on them on the map, but it only shows you how many orders a place has, not what they are. Why are there zero filters for poo poo on the map? If you won't let me see the location of the building in my little social menu that lets me see my likes, why can't I at least filter the map for "stuff you built" and some other things? Especially all the goddamn signs clutter everything so much it's nearly impossible to make poo poo out on some parts of the map.

When the name of the UI lead came up during one of the credit scenes, I actually did this: :argh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The blizzard on the way to the spiritualist was amazing

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

apparently this is supposed to be blacked out, sorry

also there totally is a thing that happens if you kill people. if you kill a dude you will definitely know. you probably didn't kill a dude. you have to really try to kill people in this game to kill them, but if you do, double spoiler: you have to get them to a tar pit or something or they cause a voidout

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Play the Star Wars game, or go through Death Stranding again and repair all the things? Death Stranding it is!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
people who abandon their vehicles in da nrg z0ne on the highway deserve death, as well as people who leave their trucks crammed into a shelter door

be mindful of where you park people, i'm driving here

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Impermanent posted:

also there totally is a thing that happens if you kill people. if you kill a dude you will definitely know. you probably didn't kill a dude. you have to really try to kill people in this game to kill them, but if you do, double spoiler: you have to get them to a tar pit or something or they cause a voidout

Unfortunately they do not. You can just leave them and after a while Up-Downman will call you and tell you that someone else took care of it but you BETTER WATCH OUT IN THE FUTURE, OR ELSE! I also don't know how they would've done this in any feasible way, because I doubt the map is so dynamic that it can handle just having craters forming randomly wherever people decide to kill a dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Bitch watch me

Edit: ok I ended up regretting it

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 15, 2019