Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Save data is completely and utterly unaffected by this bug. It's stored in internal storage, not the SD card. The SD card has your game downloads, and any screenshots and recordings you have on there. Those are the only things you can lose.

Also it's not autosaving that triggers it. Even turning it off can still have the issue happen to you.

Note that if the game is downloaded to internal memory, or on an SD card that has a format that is not exFAT, or if you're playing a physical copy, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Violen posted:

Archive it, remove the SD card, and redownload it.

I'm serious.

To elaborate, the system doesn't allow direct transfers from SD card to internal storage or vice versa for whatever reason.

If there's an SD card in the Switch, the downloads will always target the SD card first. No option to choose where you want it to go. Hence why you have to download the game with the SD card removed so the download targets internal storage instead. Yes it is very dumb.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m resetting for a female Scorbunny and will be breeding a bunch ASAP so I can get the other 2 starters today.

EDIT: hell yeah only took 2 resets.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 15, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

Save data is completely and utterly unaffected by this bug. It's stored in internal storage, not the SD card. The SD card has your game downloads, and any screenshots and recordings you have on there. Those are the only things you can lose.

Also it's not autosaving that triggers it. Even turning it off can still have the issue happen to you.

Note that if the game is downloaded to internal memory, or on an SD card that has a format that is not exFAT, or if you're playing a physical copy, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

To elaborate, the system doesn't allow direct transfers from SD card to internal storage or vice versa for whatever reason.

If there's an SD card in the Switch, the downloads will always target the SD card first. No option to choose where you want it to go. Hence why you have to download the game with the SD card removed so the download targets internal storage instead. Yes it is very dumb.

So how can I tell if my SD card is exFAT or not?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Larryb posted:

So how can I tell if my SD card is exFAT or not?

Chances are if it's over 32 GB it's exFAT since that's the standard format for those kinds of cards. But if you really want to check, stick it in an SD card reader on a computer and check its properties. It'll say what format it is there.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doing a Nuzlocke run of Shield.

Current Team:
Sobble - BLASTU :blastu:
Blipbug - Specs
Hoothoot - Hooty Hooooo
Pikachu - Scouser
WIngull - Mr Peck
Wooper - Whopper

Current Rules:
- Pokemon that faint are dead (And are sent to 1,000 years gulag in the PC Box)
- One pokemon per route. Must be via random encounter. No overworld Pokemon
- One pokemon per entry to wild area, once prompted to via story
- One raid pokemon per entry to wild area, once prompted to via story
- If these pokemon faint while attempting to catch, too bad so sad.
- Must nickname all pokemon
- Gifted pokemon are cool by me

Might change rules as things go, but I like the Wild Area rules because once the story puts you back to that area you get a new attempt.
I'll see how it pans out, just got to the first big city.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 15, 2019

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Considering that I bought a big new card this week specifically because I wanted to store this and other games on an SD card... :v:

If it's 64GB, can it only be exFAT? I know nothing about formatting, and I already found out firsthand the Switch apparently won't take NTFS. Ah well, I need to charge and sleep anyway, that's as good a time as any to redownload the game onto internal memory. Has anyone had problems with that?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Have settled on the lovely Grookey named KingKush

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Xander B Coolridge posted:

You have to really try to not be overleveled in this game.

Like, even if you're playing by your own self-imposed restrictions it's still easy.

However, rotating Pokémon in and out of the boxes is super quick and easy, so having a rotating cast of only 3 active Pokémon at a time is really convenient to pull off

This is why I wasn't a fan of the auto-exp share-- my traditional playstyle is to stick to six Pokemon and keep them all the same level. I don't wanna have a rotating team!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm enjoying this game a lot. I think it was made for the more casual fan, which I am

How does friends stuff work? Can goons add me? My ID is 145838

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I'm a hardcore gamer and I need to feed this Morpeko as much curry as possible so he gets big and strong. I should quit my job and focus on this full time.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

BearDrivingTruck posted:

This is why I wasn't a fan of the auto-exp share-- my traditional playstyle is to stick to six Pokemon and keep them all the same level. I don't wanna have a rotating team!

I feel the same way.

And then the game adjusts for the exp share by giving you fewer trainers to fight, but you still end up overleveled and have done so with less game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

a7m2 posted:

I'm enjoying this game a lot. I think it was made for the more casual fan, which I am

How does friends stuff work? Can goons add me? My ID is 145838

BORN2SHITE

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

BORN2SHITE

i love it

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I feel the same way.

And then the game adjusts for the exp share by giving you fewer trainers to fight, but you still end up overleveled and have done so with less game.

Wow sounds lovely

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Game immediately dumping you in the Wild Area is pretty cool. How soon from here can I reach the breeding place? My first wonder trade got me a Growlithe which is perfect to replace this dumb rabbit.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Game immediately dumping you in the Wild Area is pretty cool. How soon from here can I reach the breeding place? My first wonder trade got me a Growlithe which is perfect to replace this dumb rabbit.

There's one right in the Wild Area, not sure if it's usable straight away though.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Do I need to be subbed to Nintendo Online for raid battle stuff? It didn’t auto open the page to get me to buy it which is what usually happens when something is hidden behind it, but I also didn’t have anyone join me in 2 minutes

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Infinitum posted:

BORN2SHITE

Get hosed, blankly smiling Gen 7 protagonist. I love a character who can actually emote.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Get hosed, blankly smiling Gen 7 protagonist. I love a character who can actually emote.

actually you can't, that's the only face the protag makes the entire game

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

a7m2 posted:

actually you can't, that's the only face the protag makes the entire game

same tbh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Are there random encounters in caves?

I just hit the first one after Route 3 and nothing is popping up... and I kinda need one for the nuzlocke :v:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Curse you Amazon delivery partner for having my apartment at the end of your route! I'll only get the game around 8pm.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Holy poo poo pure flying

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I've barely scratched this game since I had work, but as much as I'll miss not being able to bring Mismagius along I'm enjoying it and the area is really charming.

Best protagonist house

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What's the best way to make money so I can buy more clothes?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I have to stop playin for a while because this squirrel pokemon is just too cute

Omigosh

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Proud team of early catches:

KingKush the Grookey
Behheheh the Wooloo
NickatNite the Nickit
Ricky the Chewtle
Sparkplug the Pikachu
And finally, Churchill the Skwovet

Special callout to BluellaDeBill the Rookidee

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Anyone found out where the Dittos are yet? I don't want to keep resetting for a female.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

Anyone found out where the Dittos are yet? I don't want to keep resetting for a female.

I think they're a lot later in the game.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Avalerion posted:

I'll need to find the most "stuffy british" name for when I eventually find a Weezing. :eng101:

Jacob Rees Smogg.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Does the switch in your room match joycons with the console you're using because if so GOTY

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Does the switch in your room match joycons with the console you're using because if so GOTY

yup

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It seems so, because its accurate to mine, and ive seen other colors people said matched up

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

History Comes Inside! posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought it was a coincidence and was feeling pretty chuffed.

Now i can't wait to get home. Since raids were opened up, what's a newbie to do?

Do i get matched with randoms if i have an internet connection?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m resetting for a female Scorbunny and will be breeding a bunch ASAP so I can get the other 2 starters today.

EDIT: hell yeah only took 2 resets.

The fact that (if you turn off auto save) you can save right before you pick and reset if not right helps a lot.

Mine was even Jolly. :toot: (I know there's mints eventually but still)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The NPC trainers the game uses to help you if you don't get match with anyone for raids are loving traaaaaaaaaaash. Just had a raid against Axew where I was the only pokemon to actually attack the drat thing. Everything else kept buffing and then losing it when the dynamax pokemon would nullify poo poo.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

The fact that (if you turn off auto save) you can save right before you pick and reset if not right helps a lot.

Mine was even Jolly. :toot: (I know there's mints eventually but still)

By the way, is there a soft reset button combination like on the DS/3DS, or do you need to exit out of the game completely?

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The NPC trainers the game uses to help you if you don't get match with anyone for raids are loving traaaaaaaaaaash. Just had a raid against Axew where I was the only pokemon to actually attack the drat thing. Everything else kept buffing and then losing it when the dynamax pokemon would nullify poo poo.

were you still able to win the raid?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BearDrivingTruck posted:

By the way, is there a soft reset button combination like on the DS/3DS, or do you need to exit out of the game completely?

Not sure, I was jumping back to the home screen and closing software.

I also got my girl bunny in two resets so it wasn't very onerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Peacoffee posted:

Have settled on the lovely Grookey named KingKush

Nice, team grooky!
Mine is Ganjape

Has anyone confirmed there's actually non-local trading yet?