Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That just means you don't like cutscenes. I don't either but tons of people eat them up in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cutscenes in VR are considerably more annoying than they are in flatscreen games.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Sounds like Stormland is pretty good. Some day I'll finish playing the current single players I'm on (Wilson's Heart and Arktika.1) and then I'll be able to try out the most recent releases. Someday....

I'm a bit sad now though because I just remembered that Insomniac got bought by Sony. Which I guess means they'll only be producing PS exclusives from now on? Which means, I assume, that we'll never get another Unspoken game - probably this was very unlikely anyway but I had a little hope that they might one day release a sequel which had similar awesome magic mechanics but with free movement instead of the fixed teleportation stuff they did in the original. The world was so cool, too, so I really wanted them to do more single player campaign stuff with it. Welp, pipe dreams

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

dogstile posted:

That just means you don't like cutscenes. I don't either but tons of people eat them up in games.

I love the hell out of cutscenes. I play most flatscreen games for the story. VR cutscenes (so far) are boring and not pushing the medium where it shines: interactivity.

Granted I’m sure it’s novel for people new to VR. Standing around waiting for some high school level writing to finish without a skip button is annoying in every situation.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The intro cutscene in Skyrim VR was pretty great when I leaned over to Ralof and started running my hand through those beautiful locks on his head.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Calipark posted:

I love the hell out of cutscenes. I play most flatscreen games for the story. VR cutscenes (so far) are boring and not pushing the medium where it shines: interactivity.

Granted I’m sure it’s novel for people new to VR. Standing around waiting for some high school level writing to finish without a skip button is annoying in every situation.

I wonder what kind of interactivity would work well in a VR cutscene. NPCs reacting to your movement and actions would be interesting, but require a lot of scripting. The other option I can think about is HL2 style cutscenes where you can interact with the environment and stack boxes on Kleiners head, but that doesn't really offer too much substance without a ton of scripting again.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm in VR to DO, not to watch.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Dev's won't get better at making cutscenes in VR better without having to try it first. Give it time, bound to get better.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

The first two hours of Stormland are pretty slow and the combat has zero challenge. Then you get to the next phase and the difficulty ramps up quite a bit and the enemies are more aggressive.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far. My biggest issue with it is that your controllers vibrate when they are anywhere near your holsters so if you just have your Arma at your sides while walking around your controllers are in full rez trance vibrator mode. Hopefully they give an option to turn that down or off or reduce the radius or something.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

dogstile posted:

Dev's won't get better at making cutscenes in VR better without having to try it first. Give it time, bound to get better.

This is a thing I am actually worried about. I got a Rift 2y ago but had to abandon it cause my old pc couldn't run it properly. I got back into VR now that I have a new pc and a lot of the recommended titles from 2y ago are still the go-to titles for VR. Also it's probably my headset showing its age, but most VR games still look like crap even with AA or SS cranked up. Robo-Recall is still one of the most polished games (both visually and game play wise) in my library. Other games are fun but super brief (I Expect You to Die) or just look very outdated from a gameplay perspective, VR capabilities aside. I am waiting for Boneworks and hope it'll deliver on the immersion side of things.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

That Italian Guy posted:

This is a thing I am actually worried about. I got a Rift 2y ago but had to abandon it cause my old pc couldn't run it properly. I got back into VR now that I have a new pc and a lot of the recommended titles from 2y ago are still the go-to titles for VR. Also it's probably my headset showing its age, but most VR games still look like crap even with AA or SS cranked up. Robo-Recall is still one of the most polished games (both visually and game play wise) in my library. Other games are fun but super brief (I Expect You to Die) or just look very outdated from a gameplay perspective, VR capabilities aside. I am waiting for Boneworks and hope it'll deliver on the immersion side of things.

The best VR games for long playtime's are generally arcade w/ skill based interactions and don't look good in screenshots but are fun in VR. Examples include H3VR, SPT/Blasters of the Universe, Beat Saber, SoundBoxing, Holopoint, In Death, Pavlov, Onward, Pistol Whip, Until you Fall, Blade and Sorcery, GORN, Jet Island.

Long form VR content just doesn't seem that compelling for most people. I'd rather spend 50 hours playing Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, H3VR, and In Death than Azgaurds Warth, or Skyrim.

The platform is just fundamentally different than flatscreen, so bringing flatscreen AAA gameplay/style just doesn't seem to work that well. Ex. I don't care for inventory management (FO4/Skyrim) in a Bethesda game, but I really hate it in VR.

If you haven't played H3VR Take and Hold, I really think it's the best thing currently in VR.

The successes in VR are sporadic and seemingly random and no one really knows what a successful AA/AAA VR game looks like.

I think the best way to think about VR is we are in equivalent of the post Doom (with Keyboard controls) pre Halo time frame for FPS. We have some idea of some gameplay that works, but haven't realized tons of innovations or standardized on appropriate systems/controls.

When Azguards wrath and Stormland probably started pre-production we were likely still in the TELEPORT ONLY otherwise people will get sick phase of VR.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Calipark posted:

Stormland is boring as all hell. I regret spending an hour compiling the Revive patch so I could play it. Aiming and shooting alone just feels so clunky and unsatisfying. How do you mess that up in a VR game?

I think I'm just flat out not interested in whatever Oculus seems to consider a good mainstream VR experience. Asgard's Wrath and now Stormlands bored me to tears with how much they want you to just sit and stare at exhausting long winded cutscenes. I also can't really get over how interaction in both these games is clearly rooted in pancake-gaming design philosophy. I can barely interact with anything and what I can mess around with is always disappointing.

The more "hardcore" VR games like H3, Pavlov, Onward, and B&S feel like progressive and unique gaming experiences you can't do outside of VR. Even the less intensive games like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are great at feeling worth the stupid amount of money it takes to get into high end VR.

But Oculus seems hell bent on shoving old school theme-park style AAA experiences into a VR package. And it feels like it might be doing the entire medium a disservice as a result instead of getting the mainstream audience to buy a headset.

Same boat. Milquetoast would best describe it. I just want a game that combines all the good elements each game seems to shine at. A game with good combat that uses stormlands movement (though yes it is poo poo through revive, thanks oculus!) would be cool. As it stands I played it for a few hours and won't bother touching it again.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Leal posted:

The intro cutscene in Skyrim VR was pretty great when I leaned over to Ralof and started running my hand through those beautiful locks on his head.

You mean the one that’s still bugged from initial retail launch of Skyrim in general? The bug that prevents you from moving forward?

Yeah good cutscene

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The cutscenes in Wilson's Heart are loving great. But that game generally has incredibly high production values.

That Italian Guy posted:

At the top of pg.3 of the thread I posted a huge list of titles. Lots of them are less than two years old, lots of good ones, too.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 15, 2019

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

It's important to remember that programmers are dumb loving idiots when it comes to anything besides programming

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's important to remember that programmers are dumb loving idiots when it comes to anything besides programming

Everybody's a dumb loving idiot.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Skyarb posted:

Same boat. Milquetoast would best describe it. I just want a game that combines all the good elements each game seems to shine at. A game with good combat that uses stormlands movement (though yes it is poo poo through revive, thanks oculus!) would be cool. As it stands I played it for a few hours and won't bother touching it again.

https://i.imgur.com/kykayV1.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/SEM0s7f.mp4

I just straight don't understand where you guys are coming from; how can you describe this as "milquetoast"? What other games are you guys playing that are this dynamic and freeform?

Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 15, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

[url]https://i.imgur.com/kykayV1.m p4[/ur l]

[url]https://i.imgur.com/SEM 0s7f.mp4[/u rl]

I just straight don't understand where you guys are coming from; how can you describe this as "milquetoast"? What other games are you guys playing that are this dynamic and freeform?

First one. I saw that and went "ok so i can kinda climb a little like in stand out", but then you shoot some dudes that look like bullet sponges.

Second one shows some movement, but again, its boring. You basically roll up on dudes, and it takes a dozen shots point blank to kill some robots that seem to never be able to hit you like they are storm troopers.

If thats the bulk of the game in between action stuff. I kinda understand why people aint feeling it. Looks nice though if you're into that sort of thing but those clips aint helping your case fwiw.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

First one. I saw that and went "ok so i can kinda climb a little like in stand out", but then you shoot some dudes that look like bullet sponges.

Second one shows some movement, but again, its boring. You basically roll up on dudes, and it takes a dozen shots point blank to kill some robots that seem to never be able to hit you like they are storm troopers.

If thats the bulk of the game in between action stuff. I kinda understand why people aint feeling it. Looks nice though if you're into that sort of thing but those clips aint helping your case fwiw.

The SMG does less damage when you hold it one handed; the tradeoff there is using extra ammo and being safer in cover in exchange for the thing dying slower. You generally either use one in each hand or hold it two handed. The grenade launcher I used on the second guy obviously does plenty of damage when held in one hand (in two handed mode it turns into a proximity mine launcher).

In the second they're stunned, which is one of the abilities that pairs well with shotguns, since it lets you get up close. Ofc to do that you expose yourself to fire from other enemies at longer distances, but in this case it's relatively early in the game (this is still part of the "tutorial" section that's about two hours in, once you clear the thing once which takes about 3 hours you get access to the larger meat of the game, where enemies increase in difficulty every week as you clear the week's resets) so it was just that main cluster of enemies. You die pretty quick exposing yourself to fire that long if there are other dudes skulking around

I think the reason people aren't "feeling it" is largely because when they aren't taking advantage of the locomotion in favor of just slowly walking across the ground. If you ignore the game's greatest strength then sure it's going to be less interesting. If I played Beat Saber exclusively on easy and complained that you just swung at one block every so often and it was boring that wouldn't really be a reasonable criticism.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

The SMG does less damage when you hold it one handed; the tradeoff there is using extra ammo and being safer in cover in exchange for the thing dying slower. You generally either use one in each hand or hold it two handed. The grenade launcher I used on the second guy obviously does plenty of damage when held in one hand (in two handed mode it turns into a proximity mine launcher).

In the second they're stunned, which is one of the abilities that pairs well with shotguns, since it lets you get up close. Ofc to do that you expose yourself to fire from other enemies at longer distances, but in this case it's relatively early in the game (this is still part of the "tutorial" section that's about two hours in, once you clear the thing once which takes about 3 hours you get access to the larger meat of the game, where enemies increase in difficulty every week as you clear the week's resets) so it was just that main cluster of enemies. You die pretty quick exposing yourself to fire that long if there are other dudes skulking around

I think the reason people aren't "feeling it" is largely because when they aren't taking advantage of the locomotion in favor of just slowly walking across the ground. If you ignore the game's greatest strength then sure it's going to be less interesting. If I played Beat Saber exclusively on easy and complained that you just swung at one block every so often and it was boring that wouldn't really be a reasonable criticism.

You had to explain the clips.

You don’t have to explain beat saber on easy.

I’m not saying the game is bad. Not even. I have no actual reference atm because I’m not feeling like messing with revive. But just basing it off of YOUR posts and those clips, I’d never install it.

With that said. Movement seems cool. And the coop part has me interested. 👍🏻

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, given that the subject of the tweet is precisely what he is going to program, I'm not sure how that applies here!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
He didn't have to explain the clips to me. I understood right away that he used an ability to stun the robots. :shrug:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

You had to explain the clips.

You don’t have to explain beat saber on easy.

I’m not saying the game is bad. Not even. I have no actual reference atm because I’m not feeling like messing with revive. But just basing it off of YOUR posts and those clips, I’d never install it.

With that said. Movement seems cool. And the coop part has me interested. 👍🏻

Uh, so what? Needing to explain something isn't inherently bad, it's trying to be a combat game with a lot of depth. That means there are going to be things going on that aren't immediately obvious. Beat Saber is a more arcade style game, they're going for different things. My point is that discounting large swaths of a game isn't reasonable.

You didn't say the game was bad, you did say it's boring. I think most people would consider "boring" to be "bad." If the game's not for you, it's not for you, nothing wrong with that.

Edit: and fwiw here's an example of when I tried to do the second thing but hosed it up and went into an area where the enemies are more spread out, I flanked myself and died. A little stronger than Stormtrooper tier

https://i.imgur.com/sUBRk1V.mp4

Lemming fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 15, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lemming posted:

Uh, so what? Needing to explain something isn't inherently bad, it's trying to be a combat game with a lot of depth. That means there are going to be things going on that aren't immediately obvious. Beat Saber is a more arcade style game, they're going for different things. My point is that discounting large swaths of a game isn't reasonable.

You didn't say the game was bad, you did say it's boring. I think most people would consider "boring" to be "bad." If the game's not for you, it's not for you, nothing wrong with that.

It's OK if people don't like the game

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

It's OK if people don't like the game

That would be why in the quote of me I said "If the game's not for you, it's not for you, nothing wrong with that."

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, given that the subject of the tweet is precisely what he is going to program, I'm not sure how that applies here!

John Carmack will not, in fact, program an AGI

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

BMan posted:

An AGI is as much building the hardware as programming, so he definitely won't

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BMan posted:

He can try, though!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Turin Turambar posted:

He waste his time and money, though!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I mean he specifically invoked Pascal's Mugging which sort of seems to imply he knows he has a very small chance of making any actual difference, but at this point he's already done so much that why not just give it a shot? He's already a multi millionaire, why not do something he finds interesting?

On a purely selfish level I wish he'd keep working full time on VR but it's his life

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Edit: and fwiw here's an example of when I tried to do the second thing but hosed it up and went into an area where the enemies are more spread out, I flanked myself and died. A little stronger than Stormtrooper tier

https://i.imgur.com/sUBRk1V .mp4

I said it looks boring based on what YOU have posted so far.

I know english is hard, but not once have I said "this game is boring or sucks". In fact, I've said I havent played it and my only real reference to gameplay is YOUR clips and YOU talking about it. So me saying it LOOKS boring or can understand how someone could SAY this is boring isnt my calling it bad or boring.

Again. My current opinion on gameplay is based mostly on YOUR posts and gameplay videos. Soooo. Sorry?

Newest clip is far more interesting. Post more of those, itll look less boring and bullet sponge.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bhodi posted:

I'm in VR to DO, not to watch.

Same but for all games

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Same but for all games

So uh... any opinion on that custom maid 3d game on steam?

Asking for my friend who also got into VR recently.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Read the last two pages and didn't see it mentioned. I've seen some articles saying the Quest is going to have an option to tether to a VR capable PC. Is there any special hardware/wires they intend for you to buy or will it just hook up through the USB cord already included?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

He waste his time and Facebook's money, though!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

katkillad2 posted:

Read the last two pages and didn't see it mentioned. I've seen some articles saying the Quest is going to have an option to tether to a VR capable PC. Is there any special hardware/wires they intend for you to buy or will it just hook up through the USB cord already included?

They said at OC6 that any quality USB C or w/e should work. LINK cable is "optimized" or some poo poo.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

They said at OC6 that any quality USB C or w/e should work. LINK cable is "optimized" or some poo poo.

It needs to be a USB3.0 usb C cable or a USB A to C cable. The oculus one is just going to be long and flexible with a right angle plug so it has better cable management.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The movement in stormlands looks cool as hell but the combat looks bad

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Started to play the first rounds on Hard in Pistol Whip. This loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Cutscenes in VR are considerably more annoying than they are in flatscreen games.

Yeah I haven't had the patience to get through a single VR game with extensive cutscenes.