Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/Breadmobile/status/1195185420499324929

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

:perfect:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

:mediocre: WHERE THE gently caress IS SCORPIA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
:xcom: just to fit in?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

:mediocre: WHERE THE gently caress IS SCORPIA

DLC

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not sure what's going on with Swiftwind but he steals every scene he's in.

He seizes it from the bourgeoisie.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Friendship and gay rainbows is a 99% shot that misses six times and might make you lose a solider. Makes you think.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
On the other hand, one in a million shots land 9 times out of 10.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Mutons are way more threatening than any Horde Soldier has been!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Mutons are way more threatening than any Horde Soldier has been!

We were just in the Sectoid and Thin Man phase.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Going back over the series, the darkest moment for me—other than the entire Hero episode—is when Catra is talking to Hordak completely calm and :smug: about how everything is going to plan, and then we finally see the room from over her shoulder, and everything's trashed. And then she breaks down crying on all fours.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not sure what's going on with Swiftwind but he steals every scene he's in.

Well, he's a horse. And he talks. They do that now, and also get chairs.

There, now you're caught up.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Can't wait for Glimmer to be all "I'M STILL QUEEN" even though Micah has the stronger claim.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Can't wait for Glimmer to be all "I'M STILL QUEEN" even though Micah has the stronger claim.

Not with Horde Prime backing her.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Micah doesn't have the connection to the stone that's the de facto throne determinant. He can be regent, but not ruler.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Madurai posted:

Micah doesn't have the connection to the stone that's the de facto throne determinant. He can be regent, but not ruler.

Right, but Micah was 'beloved' while she's still a rookie. I'm sure there's going to be friction, and it'll be compounded by Shadow Weaver suddenly being all :swoon: over her favorite student.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Depending on the succession rules her father may have no claim at all to the throne.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Yeah presumably Angella was the Queen and she got married to Micah, who wasn't royalty at all before that. In which case he has no claim to the throne and his daughter is ahead of him in terms of succession because Micah's the one who married into the family.

Edit - this has happened before regularly in real life royalty, we're just accustomed to it not being the women who naturally inherit. The typical situation for this in the real world would be where the King dies so the Prince becomes the new King despite the fact that the Queen is still alive.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 16, 2019

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

what if no kings, no cops, no capitalists?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
He'd be a dowager king like Ferdinand II of Aragon was in Castile after Isabella I died.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

T-man posted:

what if no kings, no cops, no capitalists?

A talking horse played for laughs is going to be the closest thing we're going to get to revolutionary sentiment in this cartoon about an alliance of Princesses called The Rebellion.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Or, because he loves his daughter and knows hes been gone too long, he doesn't want to make any sort of claim?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Killing your children is just part of being a king.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Or, because he loves his daughter and knows hes been gone too long, he doesn't want to make any sort of claim?

It seems more likely any friction between Glimmer and Micah will arise from his obsolete image of who she is and what she could be. Which seems sort of like it'd be a retread of Glimmer's relationship with her mother, but more intense given the gulf in knowledge and time but the show can probably make it work regardless.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Micah has a personal beef with shadoweaver and Glimmer is under shadoweavers influence. The malign influence that offers power vs the benevolent but paternalistic influence that "holds you back" is a classic dramatic framing device in buildungsromans.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Micha should date shadow weaver

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

T-man posted:

Micha should date shadow weaver
Hot For Evil Teacher should be a song by Van Halen but surprisingly isn't.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I want Catra's redemption arc next season but if I can't get that it better end with her scheming her way into horde prime's slot and adora being captured and subjected to a chorus of "HEEEEEEEEY ADORA~" from an army of clones

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Catras redemption is going to come from working with Glimmer and Shadoweaver to undermine Horse Prime.

I like that instead of having two heads he has two heads in one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Catras redemption is going to come from working with Glimmer and Shadoweaver to undermine Horse Prime.

I like that instead of having two heads he has two heads in one.

I'm not buying Shadow Weaver being a hero now, simply because 'don't worry, your abusive parent will sort themselves out in the end' doesn't really seem to fit this show's philosophy. She and Horde Prime seem like the only irredeemable villains simply because they're the sorts of people that the intended audience of this show should try to get the hell away from rather than identify with.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Shadow Weaver has such a cool voice, though! It makes it hard to dislike her!!

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

Please don't spoil the real villain of season 5, tia.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Double Trouble will join the princesses as a prinxes themself (prinxes of drama) to fight Prime and get money, Shadow Weaver will frame them for being Prime's spy. It will obviously be her, trying to get power or magic or to make Catra's head explode. Nobody suspects her because it's so obvious. Then she and swift wind get married.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not buying Shadow Weaver being a hero now, simply because 'don't worry, your abusive parent will sort themselves out in the end' doesn't really seem to fit this show's philosophy. She and Horde Prime seem like the only irredeemable villains simply because they're the sorts of people that the intended audience of this show should try to get the hell away from rather than identify with.

Shes absolutely not a hero. Shes just part of team glimmer against horde prime. A lot of the conflict of the show will be shadoweaver v micah and untangling the catra/shadoweaver relationship wrt to first adora and now glimmer.

If Andreas Katulas were still alive he would do a cameo as gender swapped catra screaming "They are doing it again!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Shadow Weaver has such a cool voice, though! It makes it hard to dislike her!!

Yeah, it's like if James Spader were a woman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shadow Weaver's motivations are a mystery to the characters and audience, though I'm not unconvinced she isn't fuelled almost entirely by pride and spite. She's surprisingly happy to teach magic to Adora and Glimmer, with no apparent strings attached. She's more or less the unofficial court mage at Bright Moon now. Maybe recognition is all she really wants. But as said, she's a horrible person with messed up priorities and her maternal attitude doesn't make that any better. Especially since she can't do much magic now unless she steals it from others, so quite possibly her teaching young proteges how to do magic better is just another form of cultivation...

tsob posted:

It seems more likely any friction between Glimmer and Micah will arise from his obsolete image of who she is and what she could be. Which seems sort of like it'd be a retread of Glimmer's relationship with her mother, but more intense given the gulf in knowledge and time but the show can probably make it work regardless.

Kinda makes me think the recent arc in DuckTales of a long-absent parent trying to reconnect with kids they've never really gotten to know. It's difficult, but not impossible. Especially since Glimmer clearly gets a lot of her personality from him. Also possibly her body type, given she's pretty stocky while her mom is a waif.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Arc Light posted:

Please don't spoil the real villain of season 5, tia.

How predictable, making the communist a villain.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Shadow Weaver's motivations are a mystery to the characters and audience, though I'm not unconvinced she isn't fuelled almost entirely by pride and spite.

She's motivated by recognition and validation. She was stuck playing second fiddle in Mystacor, and saw an opportunity to distinguish herself while simultaneously hazarding her student. When it went tits up, she took up with the Horde because it was the only option available to her that let her keep any semblance of authority and power over others. She's like those 'good professors' you have in college who are still in their prime - you wonder why they're not out there practicing and profiting from what they're teaching, and it's because they never want to be "the one," they're content with being the one who taught/has influence over "the one."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

She's motivated by recognition and validation. She was stuck playing second fiddle in Mystacor, and saw an opportunity to distinguish herself while simultaneously hazarding her student. When it went tits up, she took up with the Horde because it was the only option available to her that let her keep any semblance of authority and power over others. She's like those 'good professors' you have in college who are still in their prime - you wonder why they're not out there practicing and profiting from what they're teaching, and it's because they never want to be "the one," they're content with being the one who taught/has influence over "the one."

That makes a lot of sense. I think a lot of it is she respects magic as a practice and artform and does enjoy seeing others reach their potential through her teachings- even after her transformation she's still kindly to Micah, but she's ultimately a Svengali, and I think best demonstrated when she first aided Glimmer by using her as a power battery. She might be mollified by being useful to the Rebellion and a magic teacher, but only until someone else comes along with a better offer.

Micah's return should be interesting to see how she reacts.

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the original He-Man and She-Ra were funnier than the new series but I'm not sure how much of it was intentional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
If you rewatch light spinner shadow weaver straight up kills people by blasting them with beams and then murders the head magician by devouring them with her shadows

She is gonna be angry about being ignored by Glimmer and is about to get evil again especially when Micah rejects her help. I doubt she will get a full redemption in the end