Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
in conclusion young adult novels are a land of contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I've been following the terrible YA controversy but I didn't know someone #metooed that's incredible. so much good poo poo

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

i say swears online posted:

holy cow his dark materials is way better than golden compass

They hosed up by not recasting Sam Elliott and Eva Green though.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

gradenko_2000 posted:

the wikipedia page for this is hilarious - the synopsis reads like it was a book report

In her backstory, Mclean and her father have moved three times in the last two years because of her dad's new job at EAT, Inc. With each of the moves, Mclean decides to take on different personas. Lakeview is their fourth move. Mclean is quizzed as to which persona she would pick—whether it would be "the perky rah-rah girl, black-clad drama queen, or student government joiner". But as she begins school, she forgets about all those personas and starts to be herself and attracts new friends, plus a new romance. Gus is trying to rebuild a restaurant called the Luna Blu, which is described as a "Contemporary Italian and old-fashioned good"

I do enjoy eating up some good ol’ fashioned good at the Italian restaurant run by some cucked Mick

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

an actual dog posted:

I've been following the terrible YA controversy but I didn't know someone #metooed that's incredible. so much good poo poo

Sorry who got #metooed? I can't parse any context from this.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

In her backstory, Mclean and her father have moved three times in the last two years because of her dad's new job at EAT, Inc. With each of the moves, Mclean decides to take on different personas. Lakeview is their fourth move. Mclean is quizzed as to which persona she would pick—whether it would be "the perky rah-rah girl, black-clad drama queen, or student government joiner". But as she begins school, she forgets about all those personas and starts to be herself and attracts new friends, plus a new romance. Gus is trying to rebuild a restaurant called the Luna Blu, which is described as a "Contemporary Italian and old-fashioned good"

I do enjoy eating up some good ol’ fashioned good at the Italian restaurant run by some cucked Mick

Love it when the backstory is a way more interesting premise than what you decided to actually write about.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 18:18 on Nov 15, 2019

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Sorry who got #metooed? I can't parse any context from this.

oh sorry I'm talking about this tweet from last page

https://twitter.com/jenniferweiner/status/1194616187117821952

I was referring to putting #metoo in a tweet about a woman not wanting to have to read YA novels in college

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
holy poo poo now that I think about it the dad’s restaurant idea is just Andre’s Steakhouse but for white people

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't often get on the "college is for babies now" train, but goddamn

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i figure were far away enough from peak hype now that i could try watching breaking bad and see if it was as good as everyone says it is i was a little surprised to find that the first two seasons were really solid typically enough because theyd defied the vague pop culture descriptions id heard up until now far from being a badass walter white is kind of an idiot who almost never thinks his very impractical plans through and i couldnt help but find it hilarious that by the end of season two saul had to be introduced for the sole purpose of providing walter with a way to actually spend his money but even a scummy lawyer isnt enough to solve all of walters outrageously impossible problems

but i just got halfway through season three and uh is it just me or is this show very subtly and uncomfortably racist season two closes with the token black guy on the chamber of commerce being revealed to an uber powerful fifth columnist drug lord and season three opens with the wonder twins trumpian murderers who kill all the presumably good people in the truck and ultimately hold murder negotiations with gustavo where he openly gives them permission to murder the white dude once his contract his up

then episode seven transitions to full on cop propaganda as hank is very cruelly provoked into breaking into a known criminals house and beating the poo poo out of him an offense taken quite seriously by his fellow officers and its only his naive misguided wife who suggests that hank just make up a story about how jessie was gonna club him with a pipe or something because as we all knows cops would never lie to protect their careers i mean yikes that plot point aged about as well as a pizza on the roof jessie bigs speech about putting hank out of the job permanently and getting paid personal injury checks for the rest of their lives was another giant opposite of reality moment

i mean there were definite shades of this when likable big dick hank joins up with the task force and is immediately a poor culture fit because of his racist jokes and confrontational attitude then they all get exploded by a turtle and uh its still not clear to me why they would fire hank from the task force for that i assumed that he just quit because he only survived due to sheer dumb luck and he was obviously having a lovely time there even before his big ptsd moment

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1195688738648731648?s=20

it's colonialism dave

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

was making vietnam a state in the comic book too its such a broadly ignorant idea the only defense i can come up with for its existence is that moore wrote it as a throwaway line not really knowing or caring about the history of vietnam as a country or how the war fit into capitalist propaganda

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

so i figure were far away enough from peak hype now that i could try watching breaking bad and see if it was as good as everyone says it is i was a little surprised to find that the first two seasons were really solid typically enough because theyd defied the vague pop culture descriptions id heard up until now far from being a badass walter white is kind of an idiot who almost never thinks his very impractical plans through and i couldnt help but find it hilarious that by the end of season two saul had to be introduced for the sole purpose of providing walter with a way to actually spend his money but even a scummy lawyer isnt enough to solve all of walters outrageously impossible problems

but i just got halfway through season three and uh is it just me or is this show very subtly and uncomfortably racist season two closes with the token black guy on the chamber of commerce being revealed to an uber powerful fifth columnist drug lord and season three opens with the wonder twins trumpian murderers who kill all the presumably good people in the truck and ultimately hold murder negotiations with gustavo where he openly gives them permission to murder the white dude once his contract his up

then episode seven transitions to full on cop propaganda as hank is very cruelly provoked into breaking into a known criminals house and beating the poo poo out of him an offense taken quite seriously by his fellow officers and its only his naive misguided wife who suggests that hank just make up a story about how jessie was gonna club him with a pipe or something because as we all knows cops would never lie to protect their careers i mean yikes that plot point aged about as well as a pizza on the roof jessie bigs speech about putting hank out of the job permanently and getting paid personal injury checks for the rest of their lives was another giant opposite of reality moment

i mean there were definite shades of this when likable big dick hank joins up with the task force and is immediately a poor culture fit because of his racist jokes and confrontational attitude then they all get exploded by a turtle and uh its still not clear to me why they would fire hank from the task force for that i assumed that he just quit because he only survived due to sheer dumb luck and he was obviously having a lovely time there even before his big ptsd moment

breaking bad should have ended after season one

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serf posted:

sometimes i think about that lady who got her book deal pulled because the book contained slavery, which it said was evil. just the fact that slavery existed was all it took

She did it herself too, to dodge the nightmare

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My favorite is the one that people were.mad about without reading because someone said it had racism in it

Which it did

Because it was about a sheltered white girl going to fantasy college and meeting the subhumans and slowly realizing everything she was taught was a lie before joining with their rebellion to over throw the demon cracker race

You know, like what actually happens in the real world minis that last bit probably

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You should finish breaking bad so you can watch the movie which was VERY good

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My favorite is the one that people were.mad about without reading because someone said it had racism in it

Which it did

Because it was about a sheltered white girl going to fantasy college and meeting the subhumans and slowly realizing everything she was taught was a lie before joining with their rebellion to over throw the demon cracker race

You know, like what actually happens in the real world minis that last bit probably

people just quoted the parts that involved racist characters being racist towards elves or whatever and then said 'wowwww imagine if this was racist against black people instead'

Farm Frenzy has issued a correction as of 15:43 on Nov 17, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i feel less bad discussing media i havent actually seen now that i know insane twitter people using their real names have sabotaged unreleased book launches based off of three sentence goodreads reviews

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Some Guy TT posted:

was making vietnam a state in the comic book too its such a broadly ignorant idea the only defense i can come up with for its existence is that moore wrote it as a throwaway line not really knowing or caring about the history of vietnam as a country or how the war fit into capitalist propaganda
No interest in watching the TV show, but I distinctly remember that the movie had Vietnam becoming the 51st state with a mural or poster in the background.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

That's seriously hosed up

The pineapple goes on top of the cheese!!!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Some Guy TT posted:

It's supposed to reflect how badly abused Dr Manhattan was used for state power. That total conquest and expansionalism of America's past were only ended in the real world because of MAD.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

finally watched buster scruggs

four of the six vignettes were masterpieces

I'm not a western movie person but y'all I love the cohens

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

finally watched buster scruggs

four of the six vignettes were masterpieces

I'm not a western movie person but y'all I love the cohens

I love Coen Bro's but i was kinda mixed on it. 2 were masterpiece, 2 were just OK to good and 2 were pretty bad

Xaris has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Nov 17, 2019

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Some Guy TT posted:

That's exactly what it is, it's a newspaper headline in a single panel

Serf
May 5, 2011

i started watching the mandalorian and, uh, this is what they were hyping up so much? even disney money can't make tv look good apparently. just endless expanses of desert and the costumes look cheap. then the story is largely incoherent. the end of the first episode is a decent hook, it adds an interesting wrinkle that i liked. then the second episode went and squandered the whole thing and now it seems like its gonna just be rote bullshit again

the only really good thing i can say about it is that pascal is acting the hell outta that helmet and i feel a little bad for him

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Serf posted:

i started watching the mandalorian and, uh, this is what they were hyping up so much? even disney money can't make tv look good apparently. just endless expanses of desert and the costumes look cheap. then the story is largely incoherent. the end of the first episode is a decent hook, it adds an interesting wrinkle that i liked. then the second episode went and squandered the whole thing and now it seems like its gonna just be rote bullshit again

the only really good thing i can say about it is that pascal is acting the hell outta that helmet and i feel a little bad for him

But it got positive Metacritic reviews!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Serf posted:

https://twitter.com/kinematografi/status/1195846624267919361?s=20

Serf
May 5, 2011

i can't see the tweet this is replying to, they're locked

when they showed the baby tridactyl i was like oh cool its a yoda, the man with a baby he has to take care of is a classic storyline, that could be interesting. but then they went and made it magic, because of course the slackjawed audience desire to be comforted must come first. therefore the tridactyl must be magic because yoda was magic. zero original thought

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only weak buster scruggs vignette was the liam neeson one. i want a full on tex avery/tim blake neslon/singing cowboy feature

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/galgadot/status/1196167460501671936?s=21

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

more like, release the white phosphorus m i rite?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

the only weak buster scruggs vignette was the liam neeson one. i want a full on tex avery/tim blake neslon/singing cowboy feature

Yeah the first and prairie sections were best but i was entranced by the tom waits one because being in the mountains totally alone for significant amounts of time is something I've done and loved. The loneliness is terrifying

The dialogue in the last section was just too good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the Liam Neeson bit was still good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it was the most predictable vignette. i liked the lack of dialogue a lot though

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

It's supposed to reflect how badly abused Dr Manhattan was used for state power. That total conquest and expansionalism of America's past were only ended in the real world because of MAD.

Yeah, precisely. I mean gently caress, the dude is a being of infinite power, why the gently caress wouldn't the U.S. government use that to enrich private interests? People don't give Moore enough credit, and you really see it come through in just how loving bad every attempt at prequeling, adapting, or sequeling Watchmen has ever went. Like jesus fuckin hell they just don't get it.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Disney is antifa
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1195870971741310981?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah, precisely. I mean gently caress, the dude is a being of infinite power, why the gently caress wouldn't the U.S. government use that to enrich private interests? People don't give Moore enough credit, and you really see it come through in just how loving bad every attempt at prequeling, adapting, or sequeling Watchmen has ever went. Like jesus fuckin hell they just don't get it.

because making colonized territories states with actual democratic power goes completely against private interests theres a reason why puerto rico has no political representation in the american government and that reason isnt because the president lacks access to a giant blue naked dong god

note that this analogy is still flawed because puerto rico is from the embarrassing part of american history where we were actually directly annexing poo poo kind of the entire crux of modern american imperialist thinking is that we arent annexing anything were allowing people to choose freedom instead of communism

that moore thought anyone in the united states would have wanted to annex vietnam is in its own way kind of hilarious because it shows how even to people in the capitalist sphere of influence no one was really aware of these convoluted moral arguments but all the same its still extremely ignorant thinking based on an inaccurate understanding of the cold war

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/shift7shiftE/status/1195891024846970885

https://twitter.com/Lukge1/status/1196104890155749376

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ3iuBBASkA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serf posted:

i can't see the tweet this is replying to, they're locked

when they showed the baby tridactyl i was like oh cool its a yoda, the man with a baby he has to take care of is a classic storyline, that could be interesting. but then they went and made it magic, because of course the slackjawed audience desire to be comforted must come first. therefore the tridactyl must be magic because yoda was magic. zero original thought

ugh really?

i was really hoping we were getting lone wolf and cub but with a yoda