Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like there's some DVDs newly OOP:

A Story of Floating Weeds/Floating Weeds (Blu has been out from MoC for a while, might be getting an upgrade)
The Complete Mr. Arkadin (probably getting an upgrade)
Equinox
Monsters and Madmen (First Man in Space/The Atomic Submarine/Corridors of Blood/The Haunted Strangler)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The BRD Trilogy (Blu upgrade released in July 2019)
Rossellini's War Trilogy (Blu upgrade released in 2015)
3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg (Blu upgrade released in October 2019)
America Lost and Found: The BBS Story (Blu still in print)

Also seems like a few Blu-rays are between printings (not OOP, but not available directly from Criterion or any regular retailers now):

The Royal Tenenbaums
Eyes Without a Face
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (distributed by Paramount anyways)
Three Colors Trilogy
Don't Look Now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Why can't they ever get a steady supply of Chungking Express?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Why can't they ever get a steady supply of Chungking Express?

It went OOP years ago due to Lionsgate getting the Miramax home video rights and they almost never sublicense (Naqoyqatsi and Kicking and Screming were exceptions)

Seems like they might be working on a Wong Kar-Wai box since it's confirmed Janus Films now has distribution rights to Chunking Express and In the Mood for Love, while Criterion and Janus have tweeted images from new remasters of Happy Together and Fallen Angels. They'd probably be able to get 2049 since it's Sony Pictures Classics, too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

It went OOP years ago due to Lionsgate getting the Miramax home video rights and they almost never sublicense (Naqoyqatsi and Kicking and Screming were exceptions)

Seems like they might be working on a Wong Kar-Wai box since it's confirmed Janus Films now has distribution rights to Chunking Express and In the Mood for Love, while Criterion and Janus have tweeted images from new remasters of Happy Together and Fallen Angels. They'd probably be able to get 2049 since it's Sony Pictures Classics, too.

plz god all I want is Chunking and Days of Being Wild. :pray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6su4YS7VCQ

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 11, 2019

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What’s the best way for me to buy a MoC copy of floating weeds in the US?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Direct from the eureka video web store or amazon.co.uk

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Eureka's online store is terrific to order from. Just be warned that most of their Blu-rays are region locked.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Empress Brosephine posted:

Be aware that the MoC is from an oooold master and is incredibly soft. A remaster was released in Japan last year, and it looks miles better. I'd wait for someone to release an English-friendly version of that.

e: Not the exact frame, but this'll give you some idea of how much it's been improved:

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 11, 2019

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wow yeah I’ll wait for that then.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_78PhTIJdm0

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

That was pretty good. What’s the sci-fi looking film at 12:45 with the women shooting lasers or whatever they’re doing?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

gey muckle mowser posted:

That was pretty good. What’s the sci-fi looking film at 12:45 with the women shooting lasers or whatever they’re doing?
It was an excerpt from a fake blockbuster in Clouds of Sils Maria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSf4jNZjQOQ&t=61s

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

edit: n/m

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Any canucks who ordered from Unobstructed View have an idea of how long it takes to ship something? My order's been stuck on "Processing" for a week now, they slow as hell

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
Hey, just wanted to let you guys know The Confession is available on Amazon in DVD format right now with Prime shipping.

They have a multi format version available as well but it won’t be in stock until November 22nd.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Cacator posted:

Any canucks who ordered from Unobstructed View have an idea of how long it takes to ship something? My order's been stuck on "Processing" for a week now, they slow as hell

Mine took like 9 days to tell me it was "complete" but then showed up in my mailbox almost immediately after. Maybe just a day.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I buckled and ordered Criterions, but was still somewhat responsible about it. Got When We Were Kings, Polyester, and Punch Drunk Love.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

People were complaining about the replica odorama cards stinking up the Polyester case but the original ones from 1981 I bought on ebay staaank

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

February:

Paris is Burning
Three Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman (Journey to the Beginning of Time, Invention for Destruction, The Fabulous Baron Munchausen)
Antionio Gaudí
Teorema
Roma

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Wow, that's some turnaround for Roma.

How are those Three Fantastic Journey movies?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

The Fabulous Baron Munchausen is already on the channel and is fantastic I highly recommend checking it out. Only 83 minutes.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

GrandpaPants posted:

Cold War was quicker I think. Either way, it's about 18 months?

Now hurry up and release The Other Side of the Wind, thank

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, Cold War was a surprise because of Amazon distribution, but Roma is even more of a surprise because it's contrary to everything about Netflix's platform power dynamics and keeping everything streaming central.

This is very interesting.

Either the Roma deal is an exception hammered out in advance because of Cuaron's status or we should expect the availability window to close very loving fast. Unless I'm missing something.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, that's a great lineup for February. Kind of surprised Roma isn't their big UHD launch title, but the inclusion of a Dolby Atmos track and alternate language subtitles point to it being out of their hands. That Zeman set looks awesome and hopefully their February flash sale lines up with its release.

I, Butthole posted:

Cold War was quicker I think. Either way, it's about 18 months?

Now hurry up and release The Other Side of the Wind, thank

From what I can see, it's all but confirmed by now. Pretty strong rumors they have Citizen Kane and The Trial, too.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

Wow, that's a great lineup for February. Kind of surprised Roma isn't their big UHD launch title, but the inclusion of a Dolby Atmos track and alternate language subtitles point to it being out of their hands. That Zeman set looks awesome and hopefully their February flash sale lines up with its release.

From what I can see, it's all but confirmed by now. Pretty strong rumors they have Citizen Kane and The Trial, too.

Been hoping for "The Trial" forever. All current releases suck, aside from the French release which I didn't want to bother with.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Does anybody know if there's a website that has high-quality versions of Criterion artwork for download? Preferably without the blu-ray stickers and stuff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

Does anybody know if there's a website that has high-quality versions of Criterion artwork for download? Preferably without the blu-ray stickers and stuff.

Criterion.com

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Been plowing through some of my Criterion backlog and thought I'd share some thoughts...

Solaris - Ivan's Childhood, Andrei Rublev, and Stalker are all among my top films I've seen. This is way more obscure and I definitely need to rewatch it to soak it in some more. But Tarkovsky is less about plot, but rather the cumulative impact of a scene and how it affects the viewer. This is an older transfer (originally a DVD, later upgraded to Blu), but looks and sounds decent.

Le silence de le mer - Jean-Pierre Melville's debut feature film is a swift, compact look at resistance. Brilliantly shot and acted. Not quite the same sort of sublimity later films like Le samourai and Army of Shadows, but a good first film. Seems to be an exact copy of the MoC Blu-ray, decent transfer.

Short Cuts - I'm slowly getting into Altman. Recently also saw Gosford Park and Brewster McCloud for the first time. Even at over three hours long and featuring a ton of plotlines, it feels like half the length. Often funny, often touching, just lots of fun characterization with a terrific cast. I'm realizing Altman films must be a blast to work on. Originally a DVD edition, the Blu-ray uses a fresh 4K transfer that looks amazing (even has both the original 2.0 surround and a 5.1 remix).

A Brighter Summer Day - Watched this the same day as Short Cuts, just in the mood for long cinema. Even at four hours long, this doesn't drag because there's such a dense layering of mood and character. This is my first Edward Yang film, but I want to see the rest of his work now. Just a brilliant film. Blu-ray is from the World Cinema Project/Criterion 4K restoration from the camera negative and it's a real stunner.

Night and the City - I've enjoyed immensely all the Jules Dassin films I've seen so far: Rififi, Topkapi, and Uptight. This is another great noir with Richard Widmark as a sleazy bookie. Neat to see a baby-faced Herbert Lom in an early role. From Fox's 4K restoration, looks and sounds great. Also has the British cut from a new remaster, too.

Judex - Only other Franju I've seen is Eyes without a Face, but this homage to Louis Feuillade serials is just wonderful. Beautifully shot, mysterious, and it has a woman criminal in a skintight bodysuit. Beautiful restoration!

And more 2019 releases...

The Heiress - Most people, like myself, really only know William Wyler via Ben-Hur and maybe another film or two. This is just brilliant all the way, from the outstanding performance by Olivia de Havilland, plus Ralph Richardson, Montgomery Clift, and Miriam Hopkins. There's some scenes that made my jaw dropped. One of the essential classic Hollywood films Criterion has released. Beautiful 4K restoration by Universal.

Detour - A masterpiece of no-budget film noir by Edgar J. Ulmer. Seeing it via this 4K restoration (which astoundingly utilized a subtitled original nitrate print with subtitled digitally removed seamlessly) gives it a new life. One can appreciate the amazing work put into telling such a bizarre story in a little over an hour, probably one of the big inspirations for Lost Highway.

Mikey and Nicky - Elaine May directs John Cassavetes and Peter Falk as they wander around New York at night. This was totally off my radar, but come on, when you have two actors like these working off each other, it's impossible to not like. Though, they play some real bastards. Another 4K remaster, but one of the grimiest films I've seen. You can almost smell the sweat and ashtrays.

The Baker's Wife - I watched Marcel Pagnol's Marseille Trilogy earlier this year and enjoyed the hell out of it. This is a more comedic take, headed by Raimu. Just a wonderful film and given a full 4K restoration like the other three films.

The Koker Trilogy - This is my entry to Abbas Kiarostami, but now I want to see everything he's made. Where is the Friend's House? is a sweet, somewhat harrowing one told from a child's perspective with an incredibly satisfying conclusion. My favorite of the trilogy, And Life Goes On, made me have to just sit for a while and take in some of its philosophical questions. Through the Olive Trees is almost as great, with just as clever of an iteration of the "plot". The 2K restorations are very nice, even if parts of the first two films have some rough parts (there's no telling how these have been stored for the last few decades).

The Cloud-Capped Star - I've only seen a handful of films from India (mostly Ray) and this is technically a Bengali one by Ritwik Ghatak. Somewhat of a melodrama, but beautiful and humanistic with an almost dream-like tone. There's some shots that look almost like moving charcoal drawings. Another gorgeous restoration.

Europa Europa - I haven't seen Jojo Rabbit yet, but this complex film based on the memoir of Salomon Perel. Often venturing into the absurd, but what's more absurd than the wholesale destruction the Nazis orchestrated against Jews and the rest of humanity? There's also an irony to a Jewish boy surviving through the war by becoming somewhat of a chameleon to live another day. There's one scene where a Nazi teacher shows how to tell a Jew apart from an Aryan, using Salomon as the case for the beautiful Aryan. It's frightening to see how little has changed in fascist ideology. I thought I hadn't seen any other films by Agnieszka Holland, but I did see The Secret Garden as a kid and loved it. Looking at her IMDB, she directed a remake of The Heiress, which sounds interesting.

Klute - I had seen this on TCM a few years ago and thought it was just OK. This second viewing, I really love it now. Jane Fonda is incredible in this. There's also stunning work by Gordon Willis. And this is only Alan J. Pakula's second film! I just listened to a podcast on this and the parallels this has to Italian giallo are probably not a coincidence, especially how both this and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage make use of repetition for plot revelations. Absolutely worth checking out and the new 4K restoration looks amazing.

Wanda - I had heard of this, but wasn't sure what to expect. A grungy, loose sort of narrative of an abused wife finding herself along the ride with a thief. Often surreal, looking much like a documentary. Just a fun character study and Barbara Loden is wonderful in this.

and a few former Criterions Kino Lorber has released...

The Milky Way - I always enjoy Bunuel and this is a fun romp around Catholic heresies done as a road film. Lots of great bits and plenty of dunking on the church. Probably my favorite part is Jesus Christ about to shave before Mary tells him to stop because the beard suits him. :v:

Bob le flambeur - I adore Melville's films and this is another wonderful French noir centered around an aging gambler. I think Touchez pas au grisbi (by Jacques Becker) is a better film, but drat if this isn't a beautiful film. KL's Blu-ray is from a 4K restoration and looks every bit as great as a Criterion release.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

For All Mankind is alright.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I went to B&N today to check out the sale and the bluray selection was awful, their Criterion section was probably 80% DVDs. Usually I go the first weekend of the sale, so maybe they were just picked over? It was also a different store than I usually go to, so maybe it’s just a crappy location.

Either way I picked up Haxan on blu, which was all I went for anyway.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I picked this up, too, because I kept seeing it referred to itt. I have no idea what to expect; I'mn going in totally blind.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.

Gripweed posted:

For All Mankind is alright.

:wrong:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

For All Mankind is bad?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Gripweed posted:

For All Mankind is bad?

Maybe the Apple TV+ series?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I went to B&N today to check out the sale and the bluray selection was awful, their Criterion section was probably 80% DVDs. Usually I go the first weekend of the sale, so maybe they were just picked over? It was also a different store than I usually go to, so maybe it’s just a crappy location.

It's just completely different from store to store. B&N is a dying company so the internal mechanism that determines which stores actually get a decent stock of Criterions is a mystery but I've been to 3 stores in my area and there's a pretty drastic difference from place to place.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Island Nation posted:

Maybe the Apple TV+ series?

Nah that’s good.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Inland Empire might be coming in April. A local movie theater has been showing every Lynch film and the program manager spoke to Lynch himself about screening Inland Empire and had to kind of wheedle him because he's not happy with the existing transfer and asked if he could wait until April for a better version.

Eventually Lynch conceded that he could screen it as long as he didn't charge for it so I got to see it on Saturday and wew, it's an experience.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I thought Inland Empire looking terrible was part of its charm?

Edit: Terrible in terms of video quality I mean. Not that anyone thinks I'm besmirching Lynch's shot composition.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I thought Inland Empire looking terrible was part of its charm?

Edit: Terrible in terms of video quality I mean. Not that anyone thinks I'm besmirching Lynch's shot composition.

I never saw it but it was shot on DV tape so I can't imagine it can be improved much further than DVD quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Apparently Lynch doesn't like how it looks on the current DVD.