Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Long ago I remember that they were pretty planet-bound save for the occasional spate of indivudual wanderlust and native to Tatooine.

But honestly redefining them as the galaxies roving salvagers of anything left unatended was fine, esp if it leads to a fun setpiece like this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

But these ones have red eyes (and, less to the point, wear grey cloaks) so they might be some sort of offset race from "Tatooine Jawas"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
They are referred to as "offworld jawas" in the supplemental material.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I almost died laughing at the 3 second scene when the Mando is hunched over in the tiny jawa sandcrawler cockpit, and one jawa turns to him and goes "suuuuuuuuuuuuuka." And Mando just lets out a heavy sigh.

Also that baby is so gosh darn cute, like when Mando was injured and he kept walking over trying to touch the wound.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 15, 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Long ago I remember that they were pretty planet-bound save for the occasional spate of indivudual wanderlust and native to Tatooine.

But honestly redefining them as the galaxies roving salvagers of anything left unatended was fine, esp if it leads to a fun setpiece like this episode.

I think they should tie this story into that Neil Young tour from the '70s where he made all his roadies dress up like Jawas. I bet there's some good salvage to be had at rock venues.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Also him straight up annihilating them down to a shred of tatty cloak with that rifle was cool as heck.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Weedle posted:

I just think they should aim a little higher than the narrative pattern of “MMO quest line” or “2500-year-old myth.” Nothing wrong with ancient myths, but storytelling has evolved a lot since then.

You’re arguing against the fundamentals of genre storytelling. It doesn’t “evolve” beyond them.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

complaining about the show using normal storytelling is the lowest branch of trolling

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

psh a protagonist to relate to and an antagonist to oppose him?

that's basic gilgamesh and endkidu stuff, like in the ancient video games of babylon

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I just think most video game stories are pretty boring and predictable, and when I'm firing up a piece of non-interactive filmed entertainment I expect something better than that. I largely didn't get it from the first episode, but it sounds like the second is a lot weirder and more daring, kind of like how The Force Awakens was just a worse version of A New Hope but The Last Jedi felt really fresh and fun while still being rooted firmly in Star Wars tradition.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that 30 mins or so was the second best star wars media in 40 years.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So the action continues to be cut really quickly, most of the time after the first hit, probably to hide their bad fight choreography. That's pretty sad considering the budget and the fact that they can easily have a stuntman in place of the actual actor since his face is covered.

I think I need to adjust my expectations from expecting to see anything new and interesting vs just seeing the old stuff from Star Wars. being good to just being more like TFA. It's not bad, it's just safe and ok.

thrawn527 posted:

So how many desert planets are Jawas riding around Sandcrawlers on? I kind of thought this meant we were on Tatooine, but I guess someone here found out that it's a different planet?

Please note, I am not trying to bring up the stupid Jakkooine argument of the other thread. It's more of an interesting insight into Jawas. They travel through space specifically looking for poo poo hole desert planets to scavenge?

Time for Jawas, the indigenous people of every desert biome planet in Star Wars!

SyRauk posted:

We already have very episodes, I feel like Episode 2 was just a waste of time to establish that Baby Yodas are strong with the Force?

Like we didn't already suspect that? I didn't hate the episode but are we not supposed to learn more about the plots/characters other than Jawas really love furry egg yolk?

This belongs in something like Short Treks. Oh well, only 6 episodes left. Tune in next week to learn that Carl Weathers won't talk to the main character unless he gets him the bath water of a hot Twi'Lek.

:same:

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

You’re arguing against the fundamentals of genre storytelling. It doesn’t “evolve” beyond them.
the more acute question is: is this good genre plotting or bad genre plotting? and why? what distinguishes the one from the other? what distinguishes a new hope from the force awakens for example?

Zane fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 15, 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So the action continues to be cut really quickly, most of the time after the first hit, probably to hide their bad fight choreography. That's pretty sad considering the budget and the fact that they can easily have a stuntman in place of the actual actor since his face is covered.

I think it's also partly Disney wanting to keep it out of TV-14 territory.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Weedle posted:

Wow you seem steamed. I’m just saying, a bounty hunter who lets someone steal his weapon maybe isn’t such a good bounty hunter.
I thought it was really stupid how in that one movie the black cape guy just expected Luke to find him in that big rear end cloud city. Tactically it would have made more sense to

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Pez posted:

I'm loving this so far, more than any movie since the original trilogy. My only real nitpick is Episode 1: "you require a mount to get through this area". Episode 2 *walks out*

edit: what the hell is his knife made out of for that insta kill

The whole Nick Nolte sideplot is even more silly in that context. Mando has a spaceship and a target tracker, he needs neither a mount nor a guide. The only info we got from it are "this base of kidnappers are bad people" and "your ancestors rode blurg monsters and therefore so can you". It probably fits some cowboy trope but it feels more like a celebrity Star Wars fan asked for a cameo in the new Star Wars project.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hobo Clown posted:

The whole Nick Nolte sideplot is even more silly in that context. Mando has a spaceship and a target tracker, he needs neither a mount nor a guide. The only info we got from it are "this base of kidnappers are bad people" and "your ancestors rode blurg monsters and therefore so can you". It probably fits some cowboy trope but it feels more like a celebrity Star Wars fan asked for a cameo in the new Star Wars project.

"The way is impossible to pass without a blurg mount."

walks back on foot just fine

They could've at least given it some throwaway line like they have a sensor tower or something and will see your ship. But :effort:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The nick noltugnaght is cool, actually.

I have spoken.

He rode the hoverpram over the crevasses on the way back. :colbert:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hazo posted:

I thought it was really stupid how in that one movie the black cape guy just expected Luke to find him in that big rear end cloud city. Tactically it would have made more sense to

I mean, if Vader and Luke were total strangers who did not use the Force and were not related, then yeah, that would have been pretty dumb too.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Speaking of celebrities I got a big laugh out of this bit from an interview with Herzog:

quote:

Q: Favreau has made some highly successful films recently; did you feel an element of pressure working with him?
A: I do not know what other films he has made.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I absolutely love how few hecks Herzog gives.

He's never even seen a Star War, but he's sure this one is very nice.

Seconding whoever said they'd by a Werner Herzog action figure.

quote:

That's where a funny moment on set between Herzog and a puppet came into play. Herzog filmed a scene with a puppet, and the filmmakers then removed it for another take. (Though Favreau Favreau and Filoni declined to name the puppet, they seemed to be speaking of baby Yoda.)

"[Herzog] goes, 'What are you doing?' " recalled Filoni.
Filoni told Herzog they were removing the puppet to shoot a clean plate. Only, Herzog didn't want the puppet removed. He wanted Favreau and Filoni to believe in themselves — and in the puppet.

"He says, 'You are cowards. Leave it. Leave it,' "

Werner Herzog spitting at me that I am a coward and should believe in myself would probably convince me to try drat near anything he was insisting on.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 15, 2019

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Star Wars is and has always been a child friendly sci-fi action adventure/mythology told though using the various tropes and conventions formed in other movie genres (WW2 films, Westerns, Japanese Samurai flicks, etc.). If you guys wanted something different from this I don’t what to tell you.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 15, 2019

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The GornTrandoshan fistfight and the Sandcrawler chase dragged on a little bit but the mudhorn fight looked fantastic.

I love that his rifle is basically that disintegration gun from Jedi Outcast.

Vintersorg posted:

One of the pistols sounded like PT-era guns, I think Padme used it?
The Mandalorian’s pistol uses the same sound effect as Han’s DL-44 blaster.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Owlbear Camus posted:

Also him straight up annihilating them down to a shred of tatty cloak with that rifle was cool as heck.

Jawas are actually vampires and he just poked a hole in their cloaks which caused them to be dusted.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
One aesthetically pleasing thing for me is that the disintegration rifle uses cartridges.

re: mando taming the blurgg, kuilli said the mandos of legend used to ride "mythosaurs" so surely mando can tame a dumb beast. It wasnt like he had any innate connection to blurgs just more "cmon dont be a wimp" line

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'll have to go back to ep 1 and see what it sounded like. It was when he was behind the pillar.

E: OH - hearing it now it's the sound Droideka's use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDDoLOkoYJg

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 15, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jerkface posted:

One aesthetically pleasing thing for me is that the disintegration rifle uses cartridges.

It's a nice little nod that both gives the character some more flourishes to do, and also explains why you wouldn't just make every gun a disintegrator instead of a blaster: that kind of power comes with the drawback of having to swap out the packs every shot.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It’s possible they downplay the fights right now so that when Gina Carano shows up and inevitably beats the living poo poo out of everyone it has more impact. Literally.

They’re already intentionally having the Mandalorian have trouble fighting to make him more human and less of a perfect Mary Sue warrior - he seems to barely make it out alive.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Goreld posted:

It’s possible they downplay the fights right now so that when Gina Carano shows up and inevitably beats the living poo poo out of everyone it has more impact. Literally.

They’re already intentionally having the Mandalorian have trouble fighting to make him more human and less of a perfect Mary Sue warrior - he seems to barely make it out alive.

It's not that he's a bad fighter, it's that all the fight scenes cut away really fast. It's the editing(maybe caused by bad choreography) and it's really jarring and just looks bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P75XwOm2JWw

Not as extreme as this example, but it's the same idea.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's low key great that they managed to give us a badass protagonist who is tough and skilled and supremely confident in his normal idiom, but let him get in over his head fighting beasts and taking on an entire clan of jawas. Very... star wars.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
They really made the thing central to the plot a toy you can buy your kids.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Judakel posted:

They really made the thing central to the plot a toy you can buy your kids.

Now that's in the true spirit of Star Wars

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm buying my kids the werner herzog action figure.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm buying my kids the werner herzog action figure.

Same, but the one from Burden of Dreams

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Weedle posted:

Now that's in the true spirit of Star Wars

Marketing has always been a big part of Star Wars (at least I’m recent years). Can’t say I’m surprised they’ll eventually make that particular plot point into a toy.

What I really want to know is if this becomes a major plot point of Episode IX, or if it’s barely mentioned.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Vintersorg posted:

I'll have to go back to ep 1 and see what it sounded like. It was when he was behind the pillar.

E: OH - hearing it now it's the sound Droideka's use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDDoLOkoYJg
It could also be Jango Fett’s blaster sound. It’s pretty similar. The Mandalorian pistol sounds aren’t consistent between scenes.

https://youtu.be/HqNV4aeV794

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
The Mandalorian spends a day on a 50 shades of brown planet. Some ethnic types try to steal his car and he murders a bunch of them without warning, accomplishing nothing. Baby Yoda swallows a live frog. The Mandalorian goes to a cave that looks like a butthole to fight a monster that kicks his rear end. He survives and is able to leave the planet only because other people help him for no reason.

I was on board after the first episode but this one was weird.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox posted:

I feel the same way as the other person; so I'll take a stab at this "video game" plotting. Generally in a good story that is character driven each part should have a value change. As pointed out before the major value change in the episode was baby Yoda thing uses the force... That's not that big of a value change for Mando. That makes episode a bit thin to a lot of us.

Storytelling in different mediums will be different. In TV (sitcoms most notably) you generally reset values so you can come back the following week. In movies they tend to have a big value change during the goddess moment before the confrontation. Our character is no longer weak and they will face the value that caused a contradiction of character in the first place.

In ye olde video games (especially old RPGs or MMORPGS), they tend to have our main protagonist not have a value change until deep into the narrative if it ever happens. How did my Ogre in Everquest change as I played other than becoming more powerful? He didn't. Many games trade skinner boxes for value change. Instead of our character's change pushing and pulling the plot they tend to be victims of circumstance. Not every video game is this way and not every tv show or movie follows what I wrote above, but when people are making sweeping generalizations about game plotting, I think that's more what they mean.

E: Here's my fix for it. Have Mando choose to park his ride on the sand and have Nick Nolte warn him not to, but his cockiness makes him not want to move it. Then we have a value change when the Jawas steal his poo poo and he's forced to work for them. We go from cocky to humbled. Some of us need the character to take agency of their motivations instead of being bounced around at the will of the universe.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 15, 2019

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

jiffynuts posted:

Marketing has always been a big part of Star Wars (at least I’m recent years).

And by "in recent years" you mean since 1977, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I feel the same way as the other person; so I'll take a stab at this "video game" plotting. Generally in a good story that is character driven each part should have a value change. As pointed out before the major value change in the episode was baby Yoda thing uses the force... That's not that big of a value change for Mando. That makes episode a bit thin to a lot of us.

See, I think the denouement where he asks Nic Ugnaughtly to join him as a crewman/sidekick fit the bill this episode. The sketch him as a supremely confident loner who can take in multiple bounties with ease, taunting them by pretending to buy into their toilet ruse and all that. After this mission put him in over his head a couple times, he's come to accept whatever rep his armor and culture give him, he's not actually a one-man army and needs to rely on people.

E: In fact there's two come to think of it- his initial response to having his ride jacked is to go Warrior Culture Klingon Man and try to take on a whole fortress of adversaries solo. When this ends in his humilation, he's forced to compromise and negotiate; something the character sketched for hus has probably hitherto only deigned to do in the context of collecting a payday for guild work.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 15, 2019