Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

thetoughestbean posted:

Look it could be worse, it could be a multi day argument about a hypothetical Pokémon role-playing system.
you motherfuckre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Also late to the party:

System: Apocalypse World
Setting: Harn

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
After running a campaign and running another in it as a sequel, I got to say Legend of the Elements is a little clunky. Though, and plutonis is going get their wish, part of that is a growing problem I got with pbta. Sometimes, those rules to reinforce themes can be a stumbling block as you have to play guessing game on what the GM felt was important themes for the game to emulate. Sometimes pbta is just bad at communicating its intended play style and it hurts games.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Covok posted:

Oh, what did you work on? I do vaguely remember you and me discussing things once. IIRC, I had to judge your work once. I did a playtest. That was a while back. Unfortunately, I couldn't use FEV for that contest so my contest entry in that thing was bad.

It was something I started on after that contest ended, but a hard drive failure ate a lot of what I typed up. I was specifically inspired by The Host playbook and the idea of growing power leading to an internal conflict.

Covok posted:

I think both of you are going in different directions than I am thinking. I think step one is deciding if you're going to emulate the games or the shows.In the games, one person can have multiple digimon and the whole thing is basically a Shin Megami Tenshi game. In the shows, it's more like a mecha anime meets Pokemon meets coming of age story.

I only like two or three Digimon games and like every season of the anime so that's easy.

We ignore the motifs of season 4 because its too radical of a departure in that department. Its theme and structure is fine, though.

What are we left with? We have to boil it down like British cooking to get all of the IP out. We need the basics, bland as they may be, to get a basis to work off of. I identify the following:
  • Children are brought into extraordinary circumstances
  • Children obtain a fully sapient partner monster who becomes their best friend
  • Children must go on a big quest
  • Children face insecurities and personal flaws
  • Children grow past these insecurities and flaws
  • Their partner monster grows stronger as they grow past these flaws
  • Children have friends in their quest
  • Friends grow into conflict with one another
  • The conflict with their friends helps them overcome their personal insecurities and flaws
  • Children eventually grow closer with their friends and end their conflicts
  • Children hit their lowest point when all hope seems lost
  • Children push past this and find the strength to fix everything
  • Children grow into stable and well-functioning adults

That is the core of a Digimon story to me.

I think a few things are probably necessary to make a game like this work, regardless of structure
  • The GM should NOT control the partner monsters. It's too much on one person. Instead, a system should happen where the player to your right or left is your partner monster. They are also their own human character, of course. This diverts the burden and allows for the partner monsters to be more distinct. It also makes it clear the partner monster is their own separate entity.
  • The partner monster and human characters should have their own character generation system, but the human character should be the main factor. Their advancement drives advancement for the partner monster.
  • Advancement should be tied to personal growth. If their is XP, it should be like Chuubos where its earned for completing personal goals. Perhaps more like Fellowship where you answer questions at the end. The flux has got to be personal growth.
  • Do NOT get lost on trying to emulate all of Digimon's foibles. We don't necessarily need Jogress (DNA) Digivolving or rules for Digi-Metals just because the series has. That is cruft that can be cut.
  • Because I want to go off the shows, I think a looser, more narrative driven combat system should work. Combat in Digimon has a point. Instead of it being about Hit Points, I suggest a MORAL SYSTEM. Every session focus on a different player's human character. You can't repeat until everyone goes once. The player of the human and the GM work out the MORAL the character needs to learn to grow. Be it facing an insecurity or a personal flaw. It should be a minor goal that is a step along a major series long arc. The GM and Player work out 3 or so steps that need to be achieved for the Moral to be learned. As the session progresses, they try to hit those steps. When they are all hit, only then, can any conflict in the session be resolved. Combat, for example, is automatically finished when this occurs with the player getting to have a MOMENT OF AWESOME where they narrate how their MORAL allows them to best the trial.
  • The game should be broken into arcs with tiers. Like champion --> ultimate ---> Mega. These three tiers decide the series. Each one gets a big bad with 5 requirements to beat them. 1 requirement is always that each kid must learn a moral. The other 4 are related to in-game things that sessions are based around like FIND THE TAG AND CRESTS or something. Once these keys are unlocked, a final battle can occur where everyone has to work together to gain a moral so they can beat the big bad. Then, a bigger bad presents themselves and a new stage of power is unlocked. Do this three times (or so) and the campaign is over.

It's 12 am so I should stop. But that's what I got so far.

So you're thinking a Wraith-style setup? Would everyone be expected to play their kid and another's monster at the same time, or would there be any time where you're only playing one or the other?

Also, I've seen Chuubo's mentioned a few times here, is there an F&F or something where I could read an overview of the system?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Agent Rush posted:

It was something I started on after that contest ended, but a hard drive failure ate a lot of what I typed up. I was specifically inspired by The Host playbook and the idea of growing power leading to an internal conflict.

Ooooof. This is why I only use google drive for my documents. If google goes down, I got bigger problems.

Anyhoo, I hope you eventually are able to get back on that horse. And, to too me own horn, I like that you liked the Host. People only ever talk about the Jobber, which is funny since that was heavily based off a similar playbook from WWWRPG.

Agent Rush posted:

So you're thinking a Wraith-style setup? Would everyone be expected to play their kid and another's monster at the same time, or would there be any time where you're only playing one or the other?

I suppose. Never read nor played Wraith. I would think it would be defined by the narrative. If everyone is together, you can swap. But, if only one character is in a scene, keep to them, unless it makes sense otherwise. Perhaps you can use a little sign to say who you're playing lol. I do know that people have trouble telling one of my voices from another. Or it could be kind of an ebb-and-flow mechanic, but I'm not sure how to do that exactly.

Agent Rush posted:

Also, I've seen Chuubo's mentioned a few times here, is there an F&F or something where I could read an overview of the system?

None of those exist.

Summarizing Chuubos is hard because, as my friend puts it, it exercises differently roleplaying muscles than you're used to. Basically...

Okay, so you have Quests and Arcs. And when you complete a Quest, you advance your Arcs. When your Arc completes, you get a Perk. Quests are personal and linked to only one character. They represent intrinsic and extrinsic goals your character is seeking. Could be "painting a house", for example. Campaigns have genres. Genres determine XP Actions. XP Actions earn XP. Gameplay is broken into scenes. A scene continues until characters trigger an XP Action. Then, the affected characters fade into the background. Scenes are paced in-universe based on Genre. Pastoral has days in between scenes as XP Actions take up days. Whereas Adventure Fantasy XP Actions only take minutes. You also have Emotion XP. This is given by getting other players to react to your actions in a specific way. Like laughter or face palming. XP is put into a pot and players can take from that pot freely to complete their Quests advance their Arcs and get Perks.

Players can get hurt, though. Being hurt is represented a few ways. First off, you have Wounds. As long as you have Wounds, you can remain a Player Character despite adversity. Wounds can be used in 1 of 7 ways to mitigate damage and justify a player remaining in play. My favorite is Option 6: Metaphorical damage. That's when a wound only hurts you non-literally such as being stabbed in the heart not resulting in a wound but just making you heartless and cruel. Your wounds are determined by your Health Levels. You have Normal, Tough, and Divine Health levels. Normal is superficial, Tough is bad, and Divine is like a nuke or something. When you are damaged, you take damage to your health levels based on the type of damage. But, once that Health Level is full, you can't be hurt more unless the fight escalates, if you have free Health Levels. If someone is beating you up and fills up your Normal Health Level, he can only continue hurting you if he goes after your Tough Health Level by pulling a Knife. Of course, once he does, then your Normal Health Levels are cleared. This is to allow players to get pretty beat up and push for escalation.

The last way people get hurt is Issues. When certain triggers are met, players get issues. These are things like Isolation. They represent internal problems that are basically quests. They advance and go down on their own. If left to fester, they hit a crescendo. But, completing one, is like completing a Quest. However, it requires you to suffer. Basically, its like in a lot of shows where characters are pushed to grow through internal conflict.

Let's talk about taking Actions. Players can take two Actions at one time. To take more, they have to drop one Action. The effectiveness of an Action is determined by their Intention Level. To determine Intention Level, you take Skill + Will Spent. You have 8 Will and it must be spent in certain chunks. If you spend 8 at once, you take a Wound. Edge benefits you and Obstacle hurts you. Skills are freeform and are rated at -1 to 5. Cool and Shine is special. Shine can be used by allies in place of any of their Skill Ratings. Cool acts as an Obstacle to Skill checks against you.There are Superior Skills which represent natural but non-human features like Wings. There are Magic Skills which have built in tricks with their own Obstacles to perform them. Magic Skills represent performing feats that break the laws of reality/nature/etc. Intention Level is then compared to a chart to determine how well it works out. The chart ranges from 0- to 9+ ("attempt to do things but only make them worse" to "do the 'right thing' for some fuzzy definition of right"). The Hollyhock God (The GM) uses this to determine the outcome.

There are Miracle Points. Everyone has a Quick Quest that takes minimal XP that can be completed repeatedly, with no Arc, to get back MP. MP can be spent to perform certain actions.

There are Mortal and Divine Character. The above is mainly Mortal stuff. For the Divine,

Divine Characters have Divine Health Levels
An Auctorias is a shield and any Miracle needs to exceed it to function
Strike is the power of a Miracle
Divine Characters use MP more

Also, the entire setting is the post-apocalpyse of Nobolis. In Nobolis, the god-beings guarding the foundations of creation are at war with beings seeking to unmake reality. In Chuubos, the excursions (the bad guys) one and unmade reality and kept Town, the main setting of Chuubo's, as a theme park, of sorts. Everyone is doing their best to live life at the end of existence. As such, there is the Outside, the living emobidement of unmaking. It whispers in your ear, telling you that you aren't good enough, to try and unmake you. The game has this awesome system for defeating the Outside such as asserting your self-worth to yourself to prove why you should exist to placing all your faith in a person or belief and having it pay off or even going inward and allow everything to be metaphorical to protect yourself from its influence.

There is alot more. To help things out, here is a Play Aid that I made forever ago: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F2MnKzgw_AZGu3MdcFm2YC9Yvmtv_Gk3/view?usp=sharing

I was running a Chuubo's game. However, my friend's schedule kind of killed it. Writting all this made me kind of sad it died. But, to be frank, it's actually really hard to run. I wish someone else would run it. It is such a cool and AWESOME game. I was, funny enough, making a Digimon hack for it years ago lol. Which I have here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DrmPpB1DMuBfTIoqWqeZzJhu2ki0tAYatY0MTCkdD4k/edit?usp=sharing I

As an aside, I highly suggest investing in a google drive for your fan work. Thanks to it, I got all my tinkering docs from forever ago whenever I need to refer back to them.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Agent Rush posted:

https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/rand-brittain/chuubos-marvelous-wishgranting-engine/
Rand Brittain wrote up an F&F for it. RSB/Jenna Moran is one of the better writers for coming up with magic and weird cosmologies for rpgs, Chuubo's was her game about playing sort of lower powered and more slice of life-y stories with her same flair for the weird, but not as abstract as 'you are playing the embodiment of a concept in a god's folio' like say Nobilis.
It's very hard to do her work justice by describing it, since she usually marries systems and narrative in a way that loses some of its magic if you just try to inventory it in a sterile way.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 12, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, and I feel like introducing it as post-apoc Nobilis isn't the best way to sell it? Especially not calling Town a "theme park." Town is the last pocket of reality (well, entirely consistent reality; there are other places floating in the Outside, but it's complicated/wacky), and there are lots of elements of that in the setting, but it's also a living community where people just live. You can readily tell whole stories in Chuubo's without ever touching the Outside or the Excrucians.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I think the best way to sell it and what's it going for is: it's the only system that does slice of life anime / TV shows and its advancement system is entirely focused on personal growth. When people say they're going for something Chubo-like they probably mean heavily focused on personal milestones and hitting planned character notes.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I’m not sure Chuubo’s is lower powered, just lower scale. Like, you’ve got a starting PC with the power “instantly destroy anything” but assuming you’re using one of the lighter Modes, she.. runs a shop. Not a whole lot of market for instant destruction there.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
I’m mildly surprised Monsters And Other Childish Things never came up during all the *mon chat.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Parkreiner posted:

I’m mildly surprised Monsters And Other Childish Things never came up during all the *mon chat.

It did, but it happened the last go-around. At least, I think it did.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Parkreiner posted:

The only thing that doesn't make it perfect for that kind of thing is that it doesn't handle evolution mechanics to my knowledge

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Covok posted:

Ooooof. This is why I only use google drive for my documents. If google goes down, I got bigger problems.

Anyhoo, I hope you eventually are able to get back on that horse. And, to too me own horn, I like that you liked the Host. People only ever talk about the Jobber, which is funny since that was heavily based off a similar playbook from WWWRPG.

I suppose. Never read nor played Wraith. I would think it would be defined by the narrative. If everyone is together, you can swap. But, if only one character is in a scene, keep to them, unless it makes sense otherwise. Perhaps you can use a little sign to say who you're playing lol. I do know that people have trouble telling one of my voices from another. Or it could be kind of an ebb-and-flow mechanic, but I'm not sure how to do that exactly.

Yeah, it's what I get for being lazy about uploading. I've still got my handwritten notes, so at least it's just a matter of finding time to type it up again. The Jobber did get a lot of laughs from my group when I described the game, but The Host is definitely my favorite playbook in FEV.

As for the Wraith comparison, your idea just reminded me of the shadowguide rules from that game where every player is another player's Shadow in addition to their own Wraith. Seeing that dynamic in a more cooperative setting would be interesting, like the game a friend of mine ran where players were paired off into human and spirit partners. Except there each player only had one character.

Lots of people posted:

Chuubo's Chuubo's Chuubo's

Well, thanks for all of that! Chuubo's certainly sounds interesting, I'll just have to make some time to explore it in greater detail. Hopefully my funds will look a little better so I can afford a decent size drive to work with soon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TG Secret Santa thread is up!

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Man, i wish i was rich enough for both this and snulsmass.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Magnusth posted:

Man, i wish i was rich enough for both this and snulsmass.

Hey if you can't afford it, no one's judging you. Things are tight with my finances too, but my logic is I won't smoke as much and the savings will go to a nice present and everyone's happier.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Hey folks! Just a quick note that there's 48 hours left on Voidheart Symphony, my RPG of mundane heroes drawing on dark power as they raid the mindscapes of their city's worst monsters. It's a game about building relationships to push back against structural injustices, about keeping your life from falling apart as you work to protect others, and about descending into nightmare labyrinths and turning into a demigod of burning fire as you grapple with your target's inner demons.

I'm very happy with how we've done so far, and excited to see what we can unlock in the last few days. Any support would be much appreciated! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jayciles/voidheart-symphony/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Alignment tests go mainstream and become even more pointless and stupid: https://www.buzzfeed.com/christophe...=bffbbuzzfeeduk

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

This is the worst post you have ever made, congratulations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

This is the worst post you have ever made, congratulations.

Here is the source so you can witness more of that.

https://twitter.com/newbiedm/status/1195182177400565761?s=20

E:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

"I am in great pain, D&D."

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Hm, no, I don't like this.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A show for intellectual adults.

Isn't Patrick Rothfuss some kind of weird sex-bragger? I liked him on that One Shot episode of Kids With Bikes.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

D&D: The Pickle rick of tabletop rpgs

e: I genuinely don't know where this post came from, I was seized by a fit of despair and automatic writing on seeing these goddamn horrible images.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

A show for intellectual adults.

Isn't Patrick Rothfuss some kind of weird sex-bragger? I liked him on that One Shot episode of Kids With Bikes.
He's a weird creeper who's apparently tried to entice women for one-night stands or somesuch with ice cream, IIRC. And an inflated egoist who will sometimes decide to sign his own name in other people's books at bookstores. And an awful writer with minimal grasp of how to write well-rounded characters let alone cogent plot structures. I recall an exhaustive review of his first two "Kingkiller" books (with zero kings dead yet!) that referred to the protagonist as "Kvothefuss", and which highlighted how reliably the author would run screaming away from anything that might possibly be interesting. His descent into Martinitis is probably the best gift he could give the literary scene, because it means that he won't inflict any of this nonsense on the rest of us for a while longer.

Also holy poo poo why is that example page more than half just "witty" commentary? It's not actually witty, just logorrhea, and it serves to clarify nothing about the rules that isn't already stated. It's taking up space and little else. Contrast this with what the Dresden Files RPG did; there, the text was a lot more terse, and it gave some side commentary on Why X Rule Exists to boot!

Edit: This tweet is basically rothfuss.txt. :vomarine: https://twitter.com/littlethiefs/status/1152314481940324352

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 15, 2019

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Zurui posted:

"I am in great pain, D&D."

Amusingly, the comic was really good because it showcased just HOW TOXIC Rick for his family is, and how they realize this. It´s suprisingly refreshing.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Wow. It's been a long time since I've wanted to un-read something, but here I am wishing I could just flash the last two minutes out of my memory.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I thought he was just a weirdo that posted too much about the sex he has with his wife :psyduck:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The sheer number of layers of misogyny in that text is as astonishing as it is revolting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That really does manage to outdo Cline.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why would people who can actually travel to pretty much any alternate reality they can imagine want to play D&D?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

NGDBSS posted:

He's a weird creeper who's apparently tried to entice women for one-night stands or somesuch with ice cream, IIRC. And an inflated egoist who will sometimes decide to sign his own name in other people's books at bookstores. And an awful writer with minimal grasp of how to write well-rounded characters let alone cogent plot structures. I recall an exhaustive review of his first two "Kingkiller" books (with zero kings dead yet!) that referred to the protagonist as "Kvothefuss", and which highlighted how reliably the author would run screaming away from anything that might possibly be interesting. His descent into Martinitis is probably the best gift he could give the literary scene, because it means that he won't inflict any of this nonsense on the rest of us for a while longer.

Also holy poo poo why is that example page more than half just "witty" commentary? It's not actually witty, just logorrhea, and it serves to clarify nothing about the rules that isn't already stated. It's taking up space and little else. Contrast this with what the Dresden Files RPG did; there, the text was a lot more terse, and it gave some side commentary on Why X Rule Exists to boot!

Edit: This tweet is basically rothfuss.txt. :vomarine: https://twitter.com/littlethiefs/status/1152314481940324352

Hooooly shhhit. Wow!

I was expecting bad but that was just awful. And also pointless? Like, yes very misogynistic, but that two pages of misogyny also just says “thing different?” It’s hateful and also just trash writing.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

Why would people who can actually travel to pretty much any alternate reality they can imagine want to play D&D?

RPGs are fun, man.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

"You can eat any food ever made by humankind! All of the world's culinary inventions are at your beck and call! You have but to ask!"

"I'd like to go to a Denny's."

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

"You can eat any food ever made by humankind! All of the world's culinary inventions are at your beck and call! You have but to ask!"

"I'd like to go to a Denny's."

That sounds completely in character for Rick, just the the Szechuan sauce thing.

Also like the Szechuan sauce thing, that's why it's a terrible idea to brand your product as "the sort of thing Rick would do."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hey, I just signed up for TG Secret Santa and you can too.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, and I feel like introducing it as post-apoc Nobilis isn't the best way to sell it? Especially not calling Town a "theme park." Town is the last pocket of reality (well, entirely consistent reality; there are other places floating in the Outside, but it's complicated/wacky), and there are lots of elements of that in the setting, but it's also a living community where people just live. You can readily tell whole stories in Chuubo's without ever touching the Outside or the Excrucians.

You can also make a plausible argument that Chuubo is what happened after Creation won the war against the Not, albeit in a very messy way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Tag yourself; I’m the awful little creature.