Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

We do thanksgiving dinner for friends every year, and accept donations to help with food cost (since we're cooking for 10+ people).

Accepting and expecting are the two big differences there. Like, I was raised to never show up to a party empty-handed so will always bring food, liquor, games, etc. just to be a good guest. You accepting money from your friends who would like to chip in is the same sort of thing. People that tell their guests to chip in $50 and expect them to buy gifts on top of it for a party they're throwing for themselves anyways is where it gets kind of assholish.

edit:
And yes, I had an acquaintance do that for her "Three Years on My Own Party" but wanted us to pitch in $20 and bring a bottle of liquor for a party of about 15 people because she "went all out" on herself, which basically translated to ordering two pizzas and buying a couple of veggie platters. She's also a trust fund kid living off an allowance. I don't hang out with her anymore.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Nov 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I figure that if I ever have enough friends to have a Friendsgiving, I figure that I'll just declare it a potluck.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The only gender allowed is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqL6J0mVIto

(pronouns are also shrim)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I figure that if I ever have enough friends to have a Friendsgiving, I figure that I'll just declare it a potluck.

I'm a chef, and the whole thing is that I cook for everyone. Potlucks are almost universally bad.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm a chef, and the whole thing is that I cook for everyone. Potlucks are almost universally bad.

Not a chef, but :same:

We've done a number of these in the past for my girlfriend's lab at school, and it is just easier for me to cook most of it and then "everyone bring a dessert or something". People are unreliable enough, you don't need the core of the meal hinging on their planning and time management skills (most of them just show up with a box of cookies they obviously bought at Publix on the way over). A bigger turkey costs almost nothing extra, and I'm buying everything already....this way I gain slightly less weight by having fewer leftovers.

I don't mind. It's my favorite holiday because it was the only one my father just always gave to my mom without a fight and there was no drama (he was greedy and wanted the overtime hours, and then he can just duck in to his new wife's parents' house just long enough to eat and not have to help prepare or clean). I've helped cook for Thanksgiving with my mom since I was 9, so I'm the only one in the group with experience cooking such a large meal.....not technically complicated, but it's a lot to juggle for most home cooks if they haven't done it before.

The only awkwardness is most people's kitchens aren't even close to well-equipped, so I end up having to bring a ton of poo poo with me. At least 5 gallon brewing buckets are great for transporting a turkey in a brine bag.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Solice Kirsk posted:

Depends. I've noticed people that grew up without much just want you to come and spend time with them and maybe bring some food if you want to help out. People that grew up without want usually expect gifts or do registries or ask people to "chip in" with money for their own parties. "Achievement party" culture is pretty loving weird.

Hmm thinking about it my friends that Had Money growing up had the fanciest weddings. Us poors typically had more casual party-style poo poo, but as an Old, we got that poo poo out of the way before it was in vogue to contribute heavily on the internet. So um...yeah null data point I guess

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Y'all just need to get better at telling friends and family to gently caress off more.

They accept it if you're consistent

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Y'all just need to get better at telling friends and family to gently caress off more.

They accept it if you're consistent

I just make myself such a horribly emotionally exhausting person that I dont need to actively do anything all my friendships just die off naturally. Thats the way to do it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Tashilicious posted:

I just make myself such a horribly emotionally exhausting person that I dont need to actively do anything all my friendships just die off naturally. Thats the way to do it.

MONEY FOR NOTHING

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

mood toilet

im the ball print

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kaethela posted:

im the ball print

Missing the ring

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

MONEY FOR NOTHING

Still haven't gotten my chicks for free :(

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Those fuckers still haven't delivered my microwave oven yet.
I'm in Dire Straights guys. How am I supposed to cook my hot pockets.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hihohe posted:

Pan on a stove.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Tubgoat posted:

Pan on a stove.

Like a loving caveman!? SCOFF!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

hot pockets should be self heating like America intended it to be

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

T-man posted:

hot pockets should be self heating like America intended it to be
Closest we got is pissing in an MRE heater packet.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Cross posting from the engagement thread but I thought her behavior was AUG

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did the steak come with an 8ball of coke or something?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Target Practice posted:

I take comfort in that so many of these people will have non-binary or Trans children and they are either going to have to face their ignorance or lose a kid.

you're hoping for a child to have a really traumatic relationship with their parents just so the parent will get taught a lesson

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hihohe posted:

Should've ordered the Custom Kitchen

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Target Practice posted:

I take comfort in that so many of these people will have non-binary or Trans children and they are either going to have to face their ignorance or lose a kid.

None of these parents feel this way but I like to imagine that this is some sort of warding ceremony that guarantees a cishet child.

I got a couple invites to gender reveal parties by oblivious friends/family and replied with a simple "ask me about the accuracy of these parties." And since then, friends and families have only been having baby showers without the gender reveal bit. :v:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

CeramicPig posted:

Cross posting from the engagement thread but I thought her behavior was AUG

weddings are automatically a waste of time and if you have anything more elaborate than signing some paperwork in city hall and then getting drunk with your betrothed than you deserve mockery

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

cash crab posted:

weddings are automatically a waste of time and if you have anything more elaborate than signing some paperwork in city hall and then getting drunk with your betrothed than you deserve mockery

Not fair I had a 200+ guest one and 20 years we still have fond memories of the buffet.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

cash crab posted:

you might as well say birthday parties are a waste of time or christmas parties are a waste of time etc. having a giant party to celebrate something is fun and cool and the only reason it would be bad is because you are a miserable person or are friends with a lot of miserable people in which case it's not the concept of a wedding ceremony which is to blame.

be as elaborate as you want, drape the walls in diamonds, have a champagne/chocolate combined fountain, life is short.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

ulex minor posted:

you might as well say birthday parties are a waste of time or christmas parties are a waste of time etc. having a giant party to celebrate something is fun and cool and the only reason it would be bad is because you are a miserable person or are friends with a lot of miserable people in which case it's not the concept of a wedding ceremony which is to blame.

be as elaborate as you want, drape the walls in diamonds, have a champagne/chocolate combined fountain, life is short.

Lol, elaborate weddings are bullshit and will statistically end in divorce more often than not.

Go to the courthouse, sign your papers, then go have a baller party for everyone.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Why not both?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Zipperelli. posted:

Lol, elaborate weddings are bullshit and will statistically end in divorce more often than not.

Go to the courthouse, sign your papers, then go have a baller party for everyone.

actually i have the figures right here that say the more elaborate your wedding is the more likely you will both die happily together in your sleep after a long and joy filled marriage

why do you people hate ceremony so much? it can be beautiful and moving. what's wrong with being elaborate sometimes? this is some dour protestant mindset stuff.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I think it's more pushback against the ridiculous ostentatiousness of throwing a 5 or 6 figure wedding that could've served the dearly beloved and attendees much better in a Justice of the Peace fee and recreational drugs and street food for everyone in attendence.

If you are a human being reading this, you are probably related to one or more extremely gifted chefs and/or bakers. Out them in charge of your food and pay them half of whatever you'd've paid to a professional. Your friend or relative will feel lavishly compensated and make you the best drat food you've ever had.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Nov 15, 2019

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

ulex minor posted:

actually i have the figures right here that say the more elaborate your wedding is the more likely you will both die happily together in your sleep after a long and joy filled marriage

why do you people hate ceremony so much? it can be beautiful and moving. what's wrong with being elaborate sometimes? this is some dour protestant mindset stuff.

Hope/Joy are merely the first steps along the road to disappointment, friendo.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

cash crab posted:

marriage is a legal contract, and once had the transfer of women as property defining it.

The only point is flexing with a really expensive middle class white people method, and gay marriage, which should be mandatory.

i loving love ideology

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lot of angry sadbrains itt being mad at people having parties lol

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

marriage is a legal contract, and once had the transfer of women as property defining it.

Just for the nobility really.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Weddings are great. Christmas is great. Kids are great. Parents are great

Anime though, oh man, whoa buddy, gee whiz chief

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

anime should replace christmas

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

T-man posted:

anime should replace christmas

imagine i posted that poser comic where Marmaduke replaces a dude's hands with Santa Claus heads, one of them goes "MOSHI MOSHI" and they rocket him off into space

cause I can't fukken find it right now

e: phy you liar

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Christmas is fine until you use it to attack others and act all angry and superior. Happy holidays motherfuckers.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Phy posted:

imagine i posted that poser comic where Marmaduke replaces a dude's hands with Santa Claus heads, one of them goes "MOSHI MOSHI" and they rocket him off into space

cause I can't fukken find it right now

e: phy you liar

Blessed Thread is that-a-way buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Picnic Princess posted:

Christmas is fine until you use it to attack others and act all angry and superior. Happy holidays motherfuckers.

HEY! I come from Canada I'm a CHRISTian, and I say MERRY CHRISTmas JERK!