Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

xcloud is also going to support game pass, so stadia is completely DOA

sure, when xcloud launches you'll be able to play hundreds of game pass games on toaster PCs and tablets but.. here at stadia we have destiny 2 and tomb raider*. checkmate

* you have to pay for tomb raider

** you also have to pay the subscription fee to play destiny 2 at launch

*** you need to have a chromecast ultra founder's edition and one of our lovely google controllers, really you're losing money if you don't buy these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

The 7th Guest posted:

xcloud is also going to support game pass, so stadia is completely DOA

sure, when xcloud launches you'll be able to play hundreds of game pass games on toaster PCs and tablets but.. here at stadia we have destiny 2 and tomb raider*. checkmate

* you have to pay for tomb raider

** you also have to pay the subscription fee to play destiny 2 at launch

*** you need to have a chromecast ultra founder's edition and one of our lovely google controllers, really you're losing money if you don't buy these

1) there is no "sub fee at launch" - the bundle includes a 3 month sub + 3m buddy pass and you can keep playing any games you bought after that period without being a subscriber
2) All chromecast will support it, if you're buying the launch bundle you get a chromecast at launch. All other chromecasts are going to support it within a couple weeks once they push the firmware update to other chromecasts. If already have a chromecast, all you need is the controller - $69.
3) Stadia also works on toasters

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 14, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

hostile apostle posted:

1) there is no "sub fee at launch" - the bundle includes a 3 month sub + 3m buddy pass and you can keep playing after that period without being a subscriber

There is still no official launch date for the "free" base version of Stadia, other than sometime in 2020, so you cannot say that with any certainty. :colbert:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

hostile apostle posted:

If already have a chromecast, all you need is the controller - $69.

THIS should have been their messaging all along. Like, it was stupid to even call it Stadia, or anything other than "Chromecast". Just go, "hey, soon you'll be able to play games on Chromecast! Here's the games available first, we'll have more later."

Instead it's being marketed as a whole new big thing, making a ton of promises it can't possibly live up to, and the messaging about the pricing is so hosed up most people think you need to subscribe to use it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm sure google early internal pitches did not take into account them going head to head against Microsoft.
If sony manage to announce they're going all in on psnow + your own digital library streaming before stadia launches the non-founders edition, they're pretty much hosed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

THIS should have been their messaging all along. Like, it was stupid to even call it Stadia, or anything other than "Chromecast". Just go, "hey, soon you'll be able to play games on Chromecast! Here's the games available first, we'll have more later."

Instead it's being marketed as a whole new big thing, making a ton of promises it can't possibly live up to, and the messaging about the pricing is so hosed up most people think you need to subscribe to use it.

people don't have *that* chromecast though

people have the version built into their TV, if they even remember that's what it's called

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Fallom posted:

people don't have *that* chromecast though

people have the version built into their TV, if they even remember that's what it's called

Allegedly its coming for Android TV cast

https://www.androidcentral.com/stadia-coming-android-tv-2020-along-android-11-r-and-more

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Last year Google had project stream and I thought they promised a free steam key of assassin's Creed. Did they ever deliver on that? Don't think I ever got a key.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Harminoff posted:

Last year Google had project stream and I thought they promised a free steam key of assassin's Creed. Did they ever deliver on that? Don't think I ever got a key.

they did but it took like 3 months

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Bofast posted:

There is still no official launch date for the "free" base version of Stadia, other than sometime in 2020, so you cannot say that with any certainty. :colbert:

There's no way they would cut off access to people who bought games at the end of the trial

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Harminoff posted:

Uplay key. they sent them out on the date they said they would, but you had to dig around to find that. I finshed the game locally.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

hostile apostle posted:

There's no way they would cut off access to people who bought games at the end of the trial

Until they officially launch the free version we don't know what they will do. They could just give you the option to wait for the free version to regain access, keep paying to keep access or (less likely) just refund you outright if they end up with just 2000 users globally or something.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wonder how things will be spun, if it actually does fail. If the naysayers will be blamed, even tho this service already got a considerable amount of fan girls, judging the subreddit, some comment sections of game news sites and our local astroturfer.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The Verge is such a lovely site. Really writer of the Verge, Google is best positioned for this?
You know, better than Microsoft with Second place in the cloud wars over Google's third. Has an existing and popular gaming platform, an existing and popular gaming subscription and popular exclusives?

Case in point:

I need to take regular breaks from the Verge over how narrow minded so many of their writers are.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Darth TNT posted:

The Verge is such a lovely site. Really writer of the Verge, Google is best positioned for this?
You know, better than Microsoft with Second place in the cloud wars over Google's third. Has an existing and popular gaming platform, an existing and popular gaming subscription and popular exclusives?

Now now, they have to be "neutral", which means publishing press releases verbatim, without commentary. It's called tech journalism.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The Labour Party have promised to nationalise broadband and give everyone free fibre so maybe Stadia will work in the UK after all lmao

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm sure the country that's been really right-wing for decades is just about to go all-in on Labour.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
It will when it hears about stadia!!

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

We have amazing broadband here in the UK anyway. I live in the stickiest part of the sticks, and we get 80 megs a second for about 24 quid a month, and no one has caps.

No, the UK is already set for Stadia. Stadia is still going to suck here, like it is everywhere, but not because of a lack of infrastructure.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I hope Stadia imploding will severely hurt xCloud’s chances, but given the narrative seems to be “see Google? Microsoft is doing is RIGHT” I’m afraid the opposite will happen.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Funso Banjo posted:

We have amazing broadband here in the UK anyway.

"Around 7% of UK premises have full-fibre broadband internet, compared to Spain (71%), Portugal (89%), Japan (97%) and South Korea (99%)"

And if you want to know more about what could have been:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/world-of-tech/how-the-uk-lost-the-broadband-race-in-1990-1224784

quote:

"In 1979 I presented my results," he tells us, "and the conclusion was to forget about copper and get into fibre. So BT started a massive effort - that spanned in six years - involving thousands of people to both digitise the network and to put fibre everywhere. The country had more fibre per capita than any other nation.

"In 1986, I managed to get fibre to the home cheaper than copper and we started a programme where we built factories for manufacturing the system. By 1990, we had two factories, one in Ipswich and one in Birmingham, where were manufacturing components for systems to roll out to the local loop".

At that time, the UK, Japan and the United States were leading the way in fibre optic technology and roll-out. Indeed, the first wide area fibre optic network was set up in Hastings, UK. But, in 1990, then Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, decided that BT's rapid and extensive rollout of fibre optic broadband was anti-competitive and held a monopoly on a technology and service that no other telecom company could do.

"Unfortunately, the Thatcher government decided that it wanted the American cable companies providing the same service to increase competition. So the decision was made to close down the local loop roll out and in 1991 that roll out was stopped. The two factories that BT had built to build fibre related components were sold to Fujitsu and HP, the assets were stripped and the expertise was shipped out to South East Asia.

"Our colleagues in Korea and Japan, who were working with quite closely at the time, stood back and looked at what happened to us in amazement. What was pivotal was that they carried on with their respective fibre rollouts. And, well, the rest is history as they say.

(thanks UK megathread)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I can imagine a scenario where Stadia fails pretty badly and loses support within a year... but then, a few years from now, "Streaming Games" appears as a tab on the Google Play store, and you can just purchase one-off games to play through your browser... and everyone realizes that it's basically Stadia, except now it's just "another thing you can do with google" like renting and buying movies, rather than the "New Game Console" it was trying to be previously.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 15, 2019

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Not everywhere has "full fiber to the door" but we have a wide deployment of "fibre to the cabinet" and local loop unbundled copper ADSL which provides good bandwidth with good variety of ISPs in competition with each other.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
"Fiber to the cabinet" means VDSL, typically.

The UK really is far from a leader in broadband. I guess it could be worse, though.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

please don't support google

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I had to switch from 200mb virgin to 40mb BT and my connection would drop multiple times a day for a month for literally no reason. BT is not good.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

jarlywarly posted:

Not everywhere has "full fiber to the door" but we have a wide deployment of "fibre to the cabinet" and local loop unbundled copper ADSL which provides good bandwidth with good variety of ISPs in competition with each other.

Bandwidth isn't the issue, it's latency and not just that consistent latency.

You could get used to push the buttons on the controller 200ms early if your TV had a 200ms delay. When the internet is going between 20 and 30ms your input is going to be early or late by a few ms pretty much all the time, no big deal just a few frames. But then it spikes to 160 for a bit, a packet gets dropped and oh that's just how copper is only now you have 30-45ms latency for some reason so your timing is all screwed up again.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

cool av posted:

Google had all the chances in the world to make this a legit attempt: Wait until all the software/hardware is done before releasing, secure a wide range of *good* games (including classics) for initial release, declare extended console longevity and support.

But, no, instead:

cool av posted:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

jarlywarly posted:

good bandwidth with good variety of ISPs in competition with each other.

you're nationalised m8

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Here's another unfavorable use case, that I just got reminded about earlier because my sister was bitching about lovely internet due to three kids hogging it with Youtube viewing (which seems to be leaner in bandwidth than Stadia due to proper offline encoding): Connection sharing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I love the argument that I don't need to buy a console anymore.

Right, and if I do that, I get 1080p (really less due to video compression) and stereo sound.

You know instead of 4k (occasionally native) with surround sound.

And I can play the best hits of 2018 instead!

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

I love the argument that I don't need to buy a console anymore.

Right, and if I do that, I get 1080p (really less due to video compression) and stereo sound.

You know instead of 4k (occasionally native) with surround sound.

And I can play the best hits of 2018 instead!

Stadia has 4k w/ 5.1

A bunch of unboxing videos are out:

IGN - https://youtu.be/mYwK77yyP5A
Unbox Therapy - https://youtu.be/NNa8y_GyPXU
GameXplain - https://youtu.be/V4JIZL3xda0
PCWorld - https://youtu.be/4EKe4jnYFxQ
PCMag - https://youtu.be/kDKFDDP8o-E
DualShockers - https://youtu.be/uf7xCybSqIA
Nerd Reactor - https://youtu.be/1vdTlZ6RjUk
Kenneth Dée - https://youtu.be/WUNomjtdGLc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hostile apostle posted:

Stadia has 4k w/ 5.1

If you pay for the premium sub, and even then it's not guaranteed because video compression and your personal internet speed.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

those are videos of people taking things out of a box that have zero function at this time, correct?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

cams posted:

those are videos of people taking things out of a box that have zero function at this time, correct?

Yep it's literally people looking at a controller

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

you work for google right??

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

leftist heap posted:

Yep. And they don't even have the good grace to hand-deliver Stadia to people in this thread.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

cams posted:

this is the purest form of the unboxing video

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A French unboxing video I found inferred the service was operational for them and they'd be doing a deep dive Monday night (so Monday afternoon for North America).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

leftist heap posted:

Hahaha he most definitely does.