Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lots of Facets out there. Or wait... that is just a dog. But lots of facets still. Two good days out skinning around this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8d6EXGtqlo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

gently caress I cannot wait to meet Fry

Also I have an AT setup now, so drive a little further to the Roaring Fork Valley or let me know next time you're on Vail Pass

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

gently caress I cannot wait to meet Fry

Also I have an AT setup now, so drive a little further to the Roaring Fork Valley or let me know next time you're on Vail Pass

Yes. That is awesome man. We would make the trip over, especially if you know the spots to go.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Well I snagged a round trip to Durango for under $300 mid Jan. Get to see my dad and hit up Purgatory again. Love the complete lack of snow on the live cameras.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Yeah, 9cm base and freezing level hovering right at Blackcomb peak, with a nice warm pineapple express on its way for the next two weeks. I don't see Whistler hitting Nov.30th barring an act of god, and the North Shore hills are probably going to eat poo poo this year.

That would actually be by far the worst I've ever seen season-wise, if that happens.

I've seen openings that were BAD, but I've never seen them fail to make American Thanksgiving.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Has anyone ever gone to a Ski Hall of Fame induction ceremony? This year they are inducting James Niehues and the event will be at Sun Valley, which is (somewhat) close, so I am contemplating going. But I would likely just be by myself so that might cramp some of the fun? Sun Valley is a really neat place, so getting to visit would of course be nice enough on its own.

Link to the event:

https://skihall.com/induction/schedule/

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

so things aren't looking good for Squaw's supposed opening day this weekend

https://www.strava.com/activities/2861063611

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah..... That is not happening

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

They can probably open the bottom half of exhibition (first photo), and first venture (beginner lift very short). But not much of an opening day if so.

This is first venture:

There's also on photo there looking into Alpine Meadows with a more promising but still pretty weak showing:

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Can anyone speak to their experiences with the Salomon Shift bindings? In need of updating my setup and hoping to track down the ever elusive quiver killer. I'm a strong skier and usually roll with an 80/20 or 90/10 resort/backcountry split.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

hobbez posted:

Can anyone speak to their experiences with the Salomon Shift bindings? In need of updating my setup and hoping to track down the ever elusive quiver killer. I'm a strong skier and usually roll with an 80/20 or 90/10 resort/backcountry split.

My GF rode a pair all last season, I have a pair on a set of skis as well. I think in your case it could be the prefect binding if you want one set of skis only.

My GF has them on a pair of Rossi Savory 7s and I have them on a pair of 4FRT Raven's. Let me go over the bad part first:

-My GF had issues with the toe not locking out in uphill mode. Ultimately I warrantied this pair and Salomon replaced them.
-The AFD ramp is annoying as hell to get set right. I am hopeful that the new version fixed the issue but it doesn't sound like it. It is not the end of the world but something to think about. There is a good discussion on it on TGR.
- If you want ski crampons...just good luck. I am not sure I will ever get any (bad for my GF, but I have them for my split so I can survive)
-Some people say they release too easy but I haven't seen this.
-Every once in a while you will get brake drop while skinning. Seems to only happen if you smash the brakes on something though.

The good:
-The tour well. Honestly I was surprised at how well compared to dynafit/etc. They weigh more for sure but they really work well.
-The ski reallllllly well. I don't notice any difference from my STH2's as a reference
-In my experience they release very well, just like you want
-you can take them on short tours, long tours, whatever, they work.

My GF probably has 40 days on hers, Me about 20 or so. If you search back on this thread I posted from our trip to Argentina, we only brought skis with the shifts.

Ultimately you will compromise a bit on weight but for mostly resort with a bit of skinning they are pretty great. They went up in price this year so you may be able to get a whole used setup with lighter bindings for the extra $500 you are going to spend on the shifts. So kind of depends on what you want, but I think they are pretty good.

If you have any other specific questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

Example of a couple tours:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2856217800
https://www.strava.com/activities/2663147836
https://www.strava.com/activities/2290743417
https://www.strava.com/activities/2256070766

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm super sad about the complete lack of snow on the forecast for Tahoe

I just want to go skiing:negative:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Anyone have a mask / balaclava they swear by? I typically run with a neck warmer up over my chin but there are days you just need full coverage.

My current balaclavas don't mesh well with my goggles so I don't get a seal and my eyeballs freeze off. I also have a giant manly jaw so I sometimes have issues getting vents/holes to line up nicely. I've never had a jacket I could zip over my chin comfortably :(

Edit: coverage is king. I don't need something thick or fleece lined or whatever. Just something to cover my skin that will fit nicely under my helmet + goggles and not turn into a soggy mess in 5 minutes

Math You fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 13, 2019

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

On storm days I run:
Hood from ninja suit
Midweight beanie
Helmet
Hooded balaclava (the poo poo all the kids are wearing these days)
Jacket hood

And as far as balaclavas go, I like Blackstrap, but I'm partial to Oregon based companies that support my org. There's usually a solid assortment of past season balaclavas, some even Merino, at theClymb.com

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
I remember the days when early season conditions had resorts giving spring pricing: get 30% off on a weekday because half the lifts aren't spinning and our blown snow is poo poo but nobody skiing it is worse than a discount in the cash registers.

:corsair:

Thought I might run up to Sunshine today, but not for $120. We need some bankruptcies in the Canadian rockies to get heads out of asses.

Also, LMFAOoooo at Revvys new high-speed quad to service four green runs with a two minute ride. Great use of funds instead of throwing in a T-Bar and focusing on opening Montana or literally anything else where a high speed quad would be actually useful and prudent. :cripes:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Sunshine is definitely not charging full price atm, I think last weekend it was closer to $70? Norquay has discounts because poo poo isn't open as well.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Math You posted:

Anyone have a mask / balaclava they swear by? I typically run with a neck warmer up over my chin but there are days you just need full coverage.

My current balaclavas don't mesh well with my goggles so I don't get a seal and my eyeballs freeze off. I also have a giant manly jaw so I sometimes have issues getting vents/holes to line up nicely. I've never had a jacket I could zip over my chin comfortably :(

Edit: coverage is king. I don't need something thick or fleece lined or whatever. Just something to cover my skin that will fit nicely under my helmet + goggles and not turn into a soggy mess in 5 minutes

Under Armour's ColdGear balaclava is nice if you don't need to cover your nose all the time. You can get it up there, but it cuts into the bottom of your goggles and only works well on the lift if you're not moving much.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

I remember the days when early season conditions had resorts giving spring pricing: get 30% off on a weekday because half the lifts aren't spinning and our blown snow is poo poo but nobody skiing it is worse than a discount in the cash registers.

:corsair:

Thought I might run up to Sunshine today, but not for $120. We need some bankruptcies in the Canadian rockies to get heads out of asses.

Also, LMFAOoooo at Revvys new high-speed quad to service four green runs with a two minute ride. Great use of funds instead of throwing in a T-Bar and focusing on opening Montana or literally anything else where a high speed quad would be actually useful and prudent. :cripes:

My local resort (Mt. Hood Meadows) upgraded the beginner lift a few years ago. It used to be a standard two per lift and they replaced it with a quad lift that has a moving walkway loading thing. The walkway can even be elevated up or down to adjust for the little skiers. On paper it sounds great, but what I have seen is that the combination of the little gates with a specific timing windows confusing people, people not doing well with the moving track, and various other things that it is as slow as it was or actually slower now. The lift leads to some more interesting lifts on that side of the mountain, and depending on where you park it is most "convenient" to take this lift up to the other more interesting ones, but it can be a real pain on busy days as people find new and unique ways to eat poo poo getting on the chair.

highme
May 25, 2001

If you had told me I was going to ride the new Buttercup chair as much as I have in the last 2 seasons I'd laugh hysterically at you, but it's the fastest way to the comp venue most days. So I'm the dude on the beginner chair with a full rear end backpack, extra layers, and sometimes a drill.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Someone tell me if this mountain you can see from Mt Hood is Mt Rainier? I wondered when I was up there and forgot to ask.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Pretty sure that'd be Mt Adams. Rainier is sort of on the other side of Adams and St Helen's from Hood.

Probably not St Helen's based on the depiction on that map.

Steve French fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 13, 2019

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It is Mt. Adams. You can also get a nice view of it driving away from Hood up to Hood River and The Dalles. You should come ski with us Oregoonians!

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 14, 2019

highme
May 25, 2001

^^ my kids played a few soccer/lacrosse games at a grade school in Hood River with a great view of Adams. One of my favorite spots for road games.

If you're following along at home, always park in the lot of the left in that map, never on the right. This goes double for days I'm not running a comp.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The real pro-tip is to take the free bus from Hood River on peak days.

--Ninja edid ---

realize that is probably not convenient at all for Portland folks.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mt Hood really is one of the coolest places I've ever been to and reminds me of the Matterhorn in Switzerland just wild.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 14, 2019

highme
May 25, 2001

If I didn't have a reason to be there Saturdays in Jan-Feb I would be ecstatic.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have Mondays and Tuesdays off and Mt. Hood is magical and wonderful on those days. The peak days really, really degrade the whole experience. I am hoping that Meadow's lodge and parking expansion and Timberlines upcoming expansion to parking/lodge/potential new gondola help make it a better situation.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Sunshine is definitely not charging full price atm, I think last weekend it was closer to $70? Norquay has discounts because poo poo isn't open as well.

Shiit, you're right, $40 for the day right now. I was getting redirected to that SkiBig3 bullshit. Oh well, they've got no good runs open from the looks of it.

I'll take my bindings made of solid steel, 47 years old, with a side of utter loving death, please. :black101:

Honorable Mention to the indemnity era Looks on the left.

Bob Ross Nuke Test fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 14, 2019

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Today I learned there's a Nub's Nob ski area in Michigan.

I think that's the finest name I've ever heard.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Today I learned there's a Nub's Nob ski area in Michigan.

I think that's the finest name I've ever heard.

That looks like a pretty nice little ski area! I would check it out if I was in Michigan.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is by far the best ski resort in the lower peninsula. Love that place. Grew up riding there.

E: it was a 6 hour drive and we would be chanting:

"NUBS NOB!" "NUBS NOB!" All the time.

Heck I even have a pair of Nubs sweat pants.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 16, 2019

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

spwrozek posted:

It is by far the best ski resort in the lower peninsula. Love that place. Grew up riding there.

Nub's Nobbler's turn into good skiers I guess.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

spwrozek posted:

I always preferred Boyne but didn't spend a lot of time at Nubs so

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bilirubin posted:

Boyne mountain is solid. Highlands not so much. At least to me.

I just like the nubs vibe. No lodging, good food, best snowmaking, best grooming. We skied a lot of Highlands when I was 4-10 or so though.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

RIP Sugarloaf.

(Nub’s was good though, we just usually went to Sugarloaf instead.)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spwrozek posted:

Man, now I wish I had gone there when I was a teenager. We had a cottage in MI around Bloomingdale, so we always went to Timber Ridge in the winter.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

TMMadman posted:

Man, now I wish I had gone there when I was a teenager. We had a cottage in MI around Bloomingdale, so we always went to Timber Ridge in the winter.

Man if you were in Kzoo bittersweet is a bunch better than timber ridge. And really anything in northern Michigan is better than down south.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spwrozek posted:

Man if you were in Kzoo bittersweet is a bunch better than timber ridge. And really anything in northern Michigan is better than down south.

Hey I would agree with you, but I was just a teenager who couldn't drive, so I went were the parents took me. But I was also incredibly obnoxious, so if I had known there was a ski area called Nubs Nob, I would have been demanding to go to it probably just by chanting NUB'S NOB constantly.

We also usually did Ski Brule in the UP at least once a winter when I was a kid.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

TMMadman posted:

Hey I would agree with you, but I was just a teenager who couldn't drive, so I went were the parents took me. But I was also incredibly obnoxious, so if I had known there was a ski area called Nubs Nob, I would have been demanding to go to it probably just by chanting NUB'S NOB constantly.

We also usually did Ski Brule in the UP at least once a winter when I was a kid.

Ha, love it man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So I showed up at Sun Peaks for the first camp of the season, only to find out last night that they decided to stay at Pano for another week instead.

Trying to find another team to hop in with that's here right now. Either that, or I get to run the race on the 20th with literally zero days on snow since June, but I'm going to do it anyway because YOLO!