Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I don't know much about college basketball but I know drat well this is a big lol at Kentucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

fast cars loose anus posted:

I don't know much about college basketball but I know drat well this is a big lol at Kentucky

Stratosphere level lols

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

roy williams was at the bulls game tonight watching coby white ascend to heaven against the knicks.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
It's so absurd I can't even be mad. Disappointed, sure. It's no doubt a bad loss but at least it's early in the season.

Or maybe my spirit is still so broken from Saturday that I just cant feel any sports related emotions right now.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Kenpom had Kentucky winning by 25, year's first 99% upset. (Some years don't get even one of those.)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

hello, as the forums resident purple aces fan: lol

edit: legit cannot believe that they beat loving Kentucky in Lexington, feels like a dream

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn 70, South Alabama 69 trip report. Was announced as 10K, USA's biggest crowd ever, but wasn't quite full. Ton of Auburn fans there of course but USA got impressively loud -- felt like a real road game. For now Auburn has plenty of raw defensive talent to get by with but is still finding an offensive identity -- guard play had to take a step back from Jared Harper and Bryce Brown but I didn't think it would be this visible with as much playing time as J'Von McCormick and Samir Doughty had coming in. Isaac Okoro won the game with a falling-down four-foot and-one with two seconds left; you'll know his name pretty soon if you don't already, looks like a one and done. Babatunde "Stretch" Akingbola, 6'8" from Nigeria with one year of American HS ball, got his first playing time when Austin Wiley and Anfernee McLemore got into foul trouble early in the second half and scored a monster block like four seconds into his career. I was near the top of the arena and gasped at the dude's wingspan. 10/10 would watch again.
e: Bruce Pearl owns
https://twitter.com/JoshVitale/status/1194454930477715457

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 13, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Basketball is cool because that kind of thing can just happen one game. It shouldn't but it can.

E: I mean the upset but also that is a cool trip report.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
same old sorry rear end rebels

hire a hc that has won in the ncaa tournament next time dumbshits

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Isaac Okoro won the game with a falling-down four-foot and-one with two seconds left; you'll know his name pretty soon if you don't already, looks like a one and done. Babatunde "Stretch" Akingbola, 6'8" from Nigeria with one year of American HS ball, got his first playing time when Austin Wiley and Anfernee McLemore got into foul trouble early in the second half and scored a monster block like four seconds into his career. I was near the top of the arena and gasped at the dude's wingspan. 10/10 would watch again.

Akingbola has more than one year of American high school ball. I covered a high school game of his three seasons ago. Okoro, too, as they were on the same team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Okoro rules, he's gonna be like a top 10 pick

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008

Peanut President posted:

edit: legit cannot believe that they beat loving Kentucky in Lexington, feels like a dream

very happy for you, after all these years posting about them

Smashlampjaw fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 13, 2019

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/FatKidDeals/status/1194436514614333440

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Akingbola has more than one year of American high school ball. I covered a high school game of his three seasons ago. Okoro, too, as they were on the same team.
I could have the number wrong but he did wind up back in Nigeria after you saw him and couldn't come back to finish HS in America because of some problem with his visa IIRC.

Also seen him variously at 6'10" or 6'8". Curious about his wingspan, dude looks like a raptor.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Peanut President posted:

Let's see if I got all this right. Before we move on let’s sit here for just one more moment and realize that the Evansville, Indiana Purple Aces marched into Lexington and beat mother loving #1 Kentucky. The school has 2000 students. The basketball team went 11-21 last season. The only thing I know that they have other than my man CUNTLIFE is a head coach who played at Kentucky and won a championship and then played in the NBA for several years. He just happens to have been born in Evansville, Indiana. Unreal.

Please tell me more about the Purple Aces.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 13, 2019

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
The Purple Aces were a power in the old College Division, what became Division II. They one 5 or 6 titles in the 60s, their best player was Jerry Sloan who went on to play for the Bulls and coached the Jazz forever. In the 70s they moved up to Division I, but in the late 70s the entire team died in a plane crash. In the 80s they joined the Midwest Collegiate Conference with teams like Xavier, Dayton, Butler, and Saint Louis. They made the tournament a few times in the late 80s, making it to the round of 32 once. They played football in the old Division I-AAA, it was a division for non-scholarship programs. When that went away they folded the team and alumni donors went away which kneecapped the basketball program, hurt the baseball program which was decent, and really hosed over the soccer team who were consistently ranked nationally.

When the MCC fell apart UE moved to Missouri Valley and were stomped on a regular basis by either Southern Illinois, Northern Iowa and / or Creighton, whichever was the mid major power at the time. They did win the conference tournament once in the early 2000s as a 4 or 5 seed, only to be spanked by Kansas in the first round. Other than that it has been a lot of .500 ish seasons and several oh god, why are they still in Division I seasons. Last year they started decent, but ended up losing 9 of 10.

This season they were taken to OT by cross town Division II school Southern Indiana (who admittedly is a pretty good DII school who should make the tournament this year) and nearly blew a 22 point halftime lead at home versus Ball State this past weekend.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Good news is that the Valley is complete rear end now so the tourney dream is alive for everyone left.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

MourningView posted:

Good news is that the Valley is complete rear end now so the tourney dream is alive for everyone left.

Which makes the Loyola run the deepest in modern tournament history for the MVC all the more hilarious.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I could have the number wrong but he did wind up back in Nigeria after you saw him and couldn't come back to finish HS in America because of some problem with his visa IIRC.

Also seen him variously at 6'10" or 6'8". Curious about his wingspan, dude looks like a raptor.

That's wild. Turns out that Akingbola played two years of high school, but not his senior year because of the visa issue. He and Okoro were already considered huge prospects when I saw them in 2017.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/betmybookie/status/1194759051567083520?s=20
(VCU also won in Will Wade's contractually-mandated return to Richmond)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
gently caress the NCAA
https://twitter.com/TheAndyKatz/status/1195016649860145155?s=20

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Just here to laugh at Kentucky and say gently caress Duke and the NCAA

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/betmybookie/status/1194759051567083520?s=20
(VCU also won in Will Wade's contractually-mandated return to Richmond)

lmao

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

iospace posted:

gently caress Duke and the NCAA

mods need this slight alteration on the thread title plz

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So this Chris Clarke dude that Texas Tech borrowed from Virginia Tech is pretty fun:

https://twitter.com/BulliesBroadway/status/1195119252270977028

This year's offense basically runs through him as an undersized 4. I really do hope he gets his 0 point, 10 assist, 10 rebound game sometime this year.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Chris Clarke is awesome, hope he has a fantastic year for y'all. This team would be very different with he and Blackshear.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

man gently caress uva

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha

https://twitter.com/jessenewell/status/1195540183317397504

Some Kansas fans are actually mad about this I gather? I don't see how you can do anything other than laugh about it. Let the dude have his dunk and flex.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Grittybeard posted:

Haha

https://twitter.com/jessenewell/status/1195540183317397504

Some Kansas fans are actually mad about this I gather? I don't see how you can do anything other than laugh about it. Let the dude have his dunk and flex.

strong "lol okay dude" vibes here

Nice dunk, at least.

Wish I'd caught tonight's game, I guess a transfer went off for 21 points off of 5/6 three point shooting, and that seems like the thing we need more of going forward.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Otzelberger is just another failed UNLV HC in waiting. I love that there's more years of hearing "wait until he gets these very specific players in the program that's the only way his offense can be run."

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Recruit talk:

Sounds like Bruce Pearl dropped the bag at the last minute this morning and that Auburn are going to get Chris Moore out of West Memphis. Blargh. Arkansas looked like they were going to have a solid class next year of 5 in state guys but it might be 3, now, since Jailyn Williams and Moore have been viewed by a lot of people as a package deal. Dang it Auburn :argh:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee with a nice win tonight against a good Washington team in Toronto. Should be ranked next week. I worry a little about depth, but this team should be in the thick of it in the SEC race.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
i forgot to post yesterday

eat poo poo pitt

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky somehow stayed in the top 10 after losing to Evansville. The worst thing about their loss is now Duke is #1.

Top 25
1. Duke (52 first-place votes)
2. Louisville (8)
3. Michigan State (4)
4. Kansas
5. North Carolina
6. Maryland
7. Virginia
8. Gonzaga
9. Kentucky
10. Ohio State
11. Oregon
12. Texas Tech
13. Seton Hall
14. Arizona
15. Utah State
16. Memphis
17. Villanova
18. Xavier
19. Auburn
20. Tennessee
21. VCU
22. Texas
23. Colorado
24. Baylor
25. Washington

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Arizona hasn't beaten anyone super significant but that still seems low, they look loaded this year

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Arizona hasn't beaten anyone super significant but that still seems low, they look loaded this year

At 14? I mean, Kentucky is not being punished hard enough, and Virginia lacks an offense, but there's not room to fit a bunch more folks in the top 10. Maybe you can say they should be swapped with Oregon?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This Arizona team looks better at the start than the Ayton team, even though that team was older with theoretically more talent. That might be potentially from having an easier schedule to start and also not a tournament to get embarrassed in. But, I think this team has a better grasp on running an offense than that team at least.

But I have no idea what criteria they use to rate teams this time of year.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

SBNation has a writer on staff from Evansville and he with Walter McCarty the week before the UE / UK game, and he wrote a drat good article: https://www.sbnation.com/2019/11/18..._source=twitter

And this was a good article from him on the 40th anniversary of the plane crash that killed the team and coaching staff right as they moved up to Division I: https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/12/13/16770632/university-of-evansville-aces-plane-crash

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

PotatoJudge posted:

SBNation has a writer on staff from Evansville and he with Walter McCarty the week before the UE / UK game, and he wrote a drat good article: https://www.sbnation.com/2019/11/18..._source=twitter

And this was a good article from him on the 40th anniversary of the plane crash that killed the team and coaching staff right as they moved up to Division I: https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/12/13/16770632/university-of-evansville-aces-plane-crash

The worst thing was that poor kid who wasn't on the plane because of injury, then died in a car accident two weeks later. That's rough.

Looking at the crash photo, it's unbelievable that any of them were alive after impact. At least two made it for a few minutes longer. Marshall just hit its 49th anniversary, as did Wichita State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/NotJerryTipton/status/1196612014593974279