Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yep that's the thread's Stadia defense squad. A lonely position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yep that's the thread's Stadia defense squad. A lonely position.

Google not even confident enough to astroturf both threads.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hey but they DID spring for a 2006 account, not too shabby!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hey but they DID spring for a 2006 account, not too shabby!

Wait, did Phil Harrison just repurpose a PS3 shill account for this?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the rest of his posts are in the programming and stock trading threads, so he's probably just rich and stupid (but i repeat myself)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don't think google would waste money paying someone to shill on these dying forums

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That thumbnail

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Google doesn't need to pay its employees to shill they're just that dumb

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

leftist heap posted:

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

leftist heap posted:

Goons did trick each other into investing in Star Citizen.

This guy's shtick is annoying because he doesn't provide any commentary on the poo poo he posts.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I actually am super impressed because he's like a super sterile PR person and there's never even a hint of hostility in his replies which is basically unheard of in forums discourse when you're constantly getting dunked on.

I hope they're getting paid well at least.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tetrabor posted:

This guy's shtick is annoying because he doesn't provide any commentary on the poo poo he posts.

tricking people into Star Citizen made some sense to me because while it was an irrational bubble surrounding a scam that is precisely a circumstance where people can (and do/did) make money by exploiting others (via grey market ship trading/associated secondary scams in SC's case)

none of which applies to Stadia

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I wish Google had put more thought into the name, Stadia/DOA headlines are going to be all over the place (not that they aren't already). I hope some journalists are more creative!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

uvar posted:

I wish Google had put more thought into the name, Stadia/DOA headlines are going to be all over the place (not that they aren't already). I hope some journalists are more creative!

More like

Stadeada

:smug:

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Tetrabor posted:

What I say is immediately shat on by the mob anyways so why bother to waste the energy or time.

For as much as some people are saying how poo poo its going to be, they sure like to spend a lot of their time reading, thinking, and posting on it. I'd like to think there's a few people lurking who are excited as I am about the potential Stadia offers as myself, even if the feature set at launch is underwhelming. When the mob is just ready to criticize everything you post, its not that enticing to wade into the thread.

It's not for everyone, but I myself see the promise in cloud gaming generally to change the way games are played. So that's why I'd like it succeed. We'll see what happens when people actually have it in their hands Tuesday. Google definitely didn't do any favors with external perceptions by not calling this early access, essentially that's what it is (some of the materials even say so, just not prominently).

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Hmm, yes, why do people keep making fun of this awful thing on a website founded upon making fun of awful things?

:iiam:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
“A personal Stadia stream will continue to run for ten minutes after you shut down on one screen, allowing you time to switch to another device and pick up where you left off.”
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/google-stadia-will-be-missing-many-features-for-mondays-launch/

Wait. What happens to my game after the 10 mins are up?
I would have assumed it would just hold my state like an emulator.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Regrettable posted:

Hmm, yes, why do people keep making fun of this awful thing on a website founded upon making fun of awful things?

:iiam:

I don't think I've ever used any part of this site other than the forums

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

hostile apostle posted:

I'd like to think there's a few people lurking who are excited as I am about the potential Stadia offers as myself, even if the feature set at launch is underwhelming.

if it was in any way a unique offering maybe but there are a lot of players in this space and this seems to be the worst one with the highest up front cost the fewest features and absolutely no track record of success in gaming or with keeping products alive. thats what's baffling, it's like yelling that someone isn't down with the future because they rightfully point out uber has the shittiest of the known self driving cars.

I think there are reasons to be skeptical of game streaming ever fully living up to the hype, but no, there are lots of us excited for the potential, just not this version.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

“A personal Stadia stream will continue to run for ten minutes after you shut down on one screen, allowing you time to switch to another device and pick up where you left off.”
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/google-stadia-will-be-missing-many-features-for-mondays-launch/

It force-closes, this is pretty standard for these sorts of things.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hostile apostle posted:

For as much as some people are saying how poo poo its going to be, they sure like to spend a lot of their time reading, thinking, and posting on it.

I've read this literal exact sentence in every single thread where people justifiably give a hard time to bad-sounding ideas and it's making me think I've been on the forums too long.

This must be how elderly people feel when they've squeezed all the juice out of life and start seeing the same patterns over and over again

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

charity rereg posted:

if it was in any way a unique offering maybe but there are a lot of players in this space and this seems to be the worst one with the highest up front cost the fewest features and absolutely no track record of success in gaming or with keeping products alive. thats what's baffling, it's like yelling that someone isn't down with the future because they rightfully point out uber has the shittiest of the known self driving cars.

I think there are reasons to be skeptical of game streaming ever fully living up to the hype, but no, there are lots of us excited for the potential, just not this version.

There is zero upfront cost to Stadia in just a few months, though. There is a ton of unique stuff coming though - yes it is a big fail that its not there for the big bang of a launch moment.

Android & Google Play is a pretty big gaming platform, just maybe not the games you play...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

doingitwrong posted:

:same: but also lol every part of stadia is revealed to be worse than originally thought.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
State Share isnt available at launch, but its coming - devs have to enable it and develop it for the platform which was not done for titles in the launch catalog. John Justice video on this today

https://stadia.dev/blog/the-magic-of-state-share-explained/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dphhGfA6Bv0

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 16, 2019

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

hostile apostle posted:

What I say is immediately shat on by the mob anyways so why bother to waste the energy or time.

For as much as some people are saying how poo poo its going to be, they sure like to spend a lot of their time reading, thinking, and posting on it. I'd like to think there's a few people lurking who are excited as I am about the potential Stadia offers as myself, even if the feature set at launch is underwhelming. When the mob is just ready to criticize everything you post, its not that enticing to wade into the thread.

It's not for everyone, but I myself see the promise in cloud gaming generally to change the way games are played. So that's why I'd like it succeed. We'll see what happens when people actually have it in their hands Tuesday. Google definitely didn't do any favors with external perceptions by not calling this early access, essentially that's what it is (some of the materials even say so, just not prominently).

Hey thanks for the clarity.
Like you said, no matter what, people are going to poo poo on you if you support something (bad or otherwise.) But providing positive commentary does help: I'm not a fan of unboxing videos, but an amalgamation summary of the links would at least tell me if the Googs is trying or not with their hardware release and it also makes you sound less like google customer support.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

For the record I like thinking and posting about questionable cloud transitions because dealing with those is part of my actual job

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

hostile apostle posted:

There is zero upfront cost to Stadia in just a few months, though. There is a ton of unique stuff coming though - yes it is a big fail that its not there for the big bang of a launch moment.

Android & Google Play is a pretty big gaming platform, just maybe not the games you play...

I don't think I'm being overly pedantic to not really consider an OS and an App Store that both happen to run/sell games a proven track record in the gaming/console industry. They don't have a first party lineup to rely on, they don't have a deep install base like steam, people don't associate Google with AAA gaming. They're starting from behind here.

but of course i have no stake in it either way so I hope it randomly turns out to rule - there are things to like here for sure and things that would have been cool had they not been canceled or delayed or whatever. I am in the GeForce NOW beta FWIW.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

And Android & Google Play is not a console gaming thing. It's like calling the Yankees a big sports team when we're looking at ice hockey.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

hostile apostle posted:

Those aren't the games that Google is trying to push, nor are they the games that would see any kind of benefit from being streamed. Google is far behind Microsoft on this front.

Though to be fair, they're far behind Microsoft on just about every other front as well. Microsoft's cloud business is larger, they have far more experience with gaming on multiple platforms spanning decades, they have tighter connections with third parties, they actually have first parties, and right now their pricing and game lineup seem far more appealing and is linked to a service millions of people are already subscribed to.

What does Stadia bring to the table here at all for someone who's interested in game streaming? As far as I can tell they're worse across the board, sometimes embarrassingly so.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

univbee posted:

More like

Stadeada

:smug:

STAD.O.A

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hostile apostle posted:

Stadia has 4k w/ 5.1

It has "4K" with 5.1 compressed audio, for $120 a year. For 5 years, I'm spending $600, where a PS4 Pro would cost like $400.

And I don't need to keep paying to access it.

And when the internet goes down, I still have my games!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hostile apostle posted:

Still there is the problem of chicken and egg. How can Google convince me to spend €60 on Doom on Stadia instead of on PS4 or PC, since I have both platforms and fast enough internet to download patches? Now scale this up and think about people who don't have fast internet. If Google does not think they need to give everyone a 60 minutes demo sampler I don't know how they will be able to sell the idea to people m

Oh yes the last troubled launch I saw, Destiny Shadowkeep, was because of servers capacity problems not because of my computer or the game delivery.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Cemetry Gator posted:

It has "4K" with 5.1 compressed audio, for $120 a year. For 5 years, I'm spending $600, where a PS4 Pro would cost like $400.

And I don't need to keep paying to access it.

And when the internet goes down, I still have my games!

People who would spend $600 for 4k gaming would also spend $3k on a 4k capable pc and monitor. And when the internet goes down they would still have their games.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

SyRauk posted:

Are they going to talk about Daydream updates or is that dead now? Trying to temper my expectations for something awesome that Google will eventually ignore after 2 years.

Ahahahahahahaha.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you could've paid $130 for the founders edition of stadia and $60 for tomb raider 2013

but it's too late and now like a chump you'll have to settle for buying an xbox one s on black friday for $150, and getting thumper and tomb raider for 5 bucks each at sales, and destiny 2 for free

but please understand, consoles are expensive, and stadia is passing the savings to you

e: okay i'm not being completely fair. you can get an xbox one s for $150 and then get game pass for 5 bucks, and have all three tomb raiders, thumper, and a shitload of other games

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 16, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Good news!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

univbee posted:

Good news!

Consider me sold

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Fallom posted:

I've read this literal exact sentence in every single thread where people justifiably give a hard time to bad-sounding ideas and it's making me think I've been on the forums too long.

This must be how elderly people feel when they've squeezed all the juice out of life and start seeing the same patterns over and over again

Also "It HaS pOtEnTiAl"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

limaCAT posted:

STAD.O.A

There it is. That's the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

sethsez posted:

Microsoft's cloud business is larger
That is certainly embarrassing, considering where Google came from.