Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Vengarr posted:

Except they made him a driver. Naturally he fell asleep at the wheel and drove into a ditch. Totaled the Jeep.

This reminded me of my first duty station. Had a Senior Airman on the flight line, super douchey and didn't want to do the work. He went to the doc and he had some kind of narcolepsy type disorder. Personally I didn't believe it, but I wasn't his supervisor so I didn't know all the details. I'm not a doctor so it is what it is.

Gets put on light duty, super easy stuff, but still he's a total skater. He claims he can't drive the van to work (we had a 45 min commute to/from the shop) because of his disorder. Ok fine, we don't want to die on the freeway anyway. Then he takes the van to go get food at lunchtime without telling anyone. He comes back to a world of poo poo with the flight chief and he doesn't get it. Hey, can't pick and choose which rules you can skate on. He whined so much after that it was ridiculous.

Same guy, I tell him to take out the trash or something small like that. 10 min later I see someone else doing it. I ask him the deal and he said he delegated it...to another Senior Airman...because he outranked him by 2 months. Nah..doesn't work like that playa. The fact that the other SrA actually listened to him also boggled the mind. I was slightly impressed, but that wasn't the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Friend of a friend claims to be ex-special forces Marines and every new story raises a new red flag, but I don't know dick about the military to call him on it. Examples include:

• Saying he can't talk about 99% of the stuff he has done in the military. This combined with PTSD seems fair and I don't want to push to ask about it

• Tales of being out of the marines and working civilian jobs but then being called back in at the drop of a hat to do do a mission and then he's back out again.

• Not able to get a passport because the government won't confirm or deny his background so it gets held up indefinitely in processing

• A fun story from long ago about how he was about to sign a contract for a big private job but the government grabbed him right before he could sign because they had a new mission/deployment

Is any of this plausible? Can special forces rope you back in for one last job just like the movies? Should I STFU? He's a cool guy but my spidey sense is going nuts

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That dude is full of poo poo

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

superdylan posted:

Saying he can't talk about 99% of the stuff he has done in the military. This combined with PTSD seems fair and I don't want to push to ask about it

People who do stuff they can't or don't want to talk about do things like not bring it up. Or talk about little incidental things like funny stories about idiots in garrison. Or lie.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I tell people I played volleyball for my active time, and humped a 60

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

not caring here posted:

That dude is full of poo poo

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

superdylan posted:

Friend of a friend claims to be ex-special forces Marines and every new story raises a new red flag, but I don't know dick about the military to call him on it. Examples include:

• Saying he can't talk about 99% of the stuff he has done in the military. This combined with PTSD seems fair and I don't want to push to ask about it

• Tales of being out of the marines and working civilian jobs but then being called back in at the drop of a hat to do do a mission and then he's back out again.

• Not able to get a passport because the government won't confirm or deny his background so it gets held up indefinitely in processing

• A fun story from long ago about how he was about to sign a contract for a big private job but the government grabbed him right before he could sign because they had a new mission/deployment

Is any of this plausible? Can special forces rope you back in for one last job just like the movies? Should I STFU? He's a cool guy but my spidey sense is going nuts

Literally none of that is true and you’re friend is completely full of poo poo.

brains
May 12, 2004

superdylan posted:

he's either a felon or an alcoholic, or both. my dad used to claim the same poo poo when i was a kid- except in his story was it was the seals and they needed him for scuba training or some poo poo. when he disappeared, he was in rehab. my dumbass 6 or 7 year old self believed him, for a while at least.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You know, the closest scenario I've heard to that load of baloney was from my voc rehab counselor guy. He had a dude come in, and turned out he used to be delta. He already had an advanced degree, wanted to do something that just required a few certifications that he wanted voc rehab to pay for, and they hooked him up.

But apparently for the last few years of his time in, his day job was to teach at some military college. Then they'd call him up and off he'd go do whatever they do for a month or so, and then go back to his army day job at the college. Otherwise he'd work out, they'd have occasional bang bang training, but that was his gig.

That's a second hand story though, but that's the closest scenario I've ever heard of to the whole "COLONEL TRUMAN PULLED ME BACK IN FOR ONE LAST MISSION 7" bullshit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

99% of your time in the military is jerking off so that doesn’t seem like polite conversation.

Did he ever complain about MyPay?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Red flags include but are not limited to:

Calling it "special forces" instead of special operations, MARSOC, Raiders, SOF, JSOC, or any of the other names for it. SF is only the Army green berets

The government not being able to confirm or deny his background is dumb as hell. IF IF IF he'd actually done anything deniable to that level there would be a cover story/identity in place beforehand

Being recalled for anything other than getting punished for something, 9/11, or the 2006-ish surge.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
10 years ago we tagging people for stop-loss. But that puts you on orders for regular active duty. And I never met anyone who went through that bullshit who didn't have a three hour rant about it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My wife's brother is an interesting dude and will tell anyone who asks that he:
Did work in special forces for AFRICOM
Was loaned out on assignment for INTERPOL
Is a firearms and unarmed combat instructor for international police and military
Also flies 787s for British Airways
Gets called out on special missions every now and again by three letter agencies and has to leave for 2 weeks at a time
Speaks 4 languages
Has houses in a few different cities

But the truth of it is:
He hasn't had an actual job since he was a lifeguard at the city pool in high school
Has been couchsurfing for the last 10 years (when he could) but otherwise was living in his car
Has severe ADHD that I doubt he's receiving treatment or meds for
Is doughy and out of shape
Cannot fly a plane
Speaks 1 language
Can barely read

Dude is not right.
Someone who actually did all those things would probably tell people that they used to be in the Army as a computer toucher but now works for the department of agriculture as a computer toucher.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eh, I have friends who have rotated in and out of Reserve/Active duty status, it's not unheard of. But the combination of red flags, yeeeeeah.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Computer toucher is a good cover story for everything, because no one will ever question it or ask you anything at all. You don't have to be in the military to get some mileage out of that one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I posted in the last thread about how to get hard proof to bust one of those (claimed to be former force recon and would not shut up about it, said he got evicerated by an IED but didn’t have a scar, etc) and they told me to ask for his DD214, but in that case I was able to actually do that because it was for a job.

Fun fact, took that guy to the hospital via ambulance a while after. He had torn his bicep while working as a bouncer beating seven shades of piss out of a guy for talking to a bar patron he liked (she was 20+years younger than him, too). He was, uh, pretty thoroughly under arrest at the time. It was great.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Syrian Lannister posted:

I tell people I played volleyball for my active time, and humped a 60

six tens or ten sixes? i'm impressed either way.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

GTA cheats in real life

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

superdylan posted:

Marines who do these kinds jobs will absolutely not tell you that they "can't talk about it". They will have a cover unit, the unit's mission, and a POC at the very least. This guy is full of poo poo.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Doc Hawkins posted:

six tens or ten sixes? i'm impressed either way.

Its classified

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Deathy McDeath posted:

Marines who do these kinds jobs will absolutely not tell you that they "can't talk about it". They will have a cover unit, the unit's mission, and a POC at the very least. This guy is full of poo poo.

They'll usually just avoid the subject altogether.

Here's a comparison, because I knew a former Force Recon dude. The closest I ever came to finding out what they did over there was when he was ugly-crying from survivor's guilt as a mutual friend and I coaxed a loaded AR15 from his hands while his wife in the next room was screaming and begging him not to kill himself.

Your friend of a friend should shut the gently caress up.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Don Shipley (a guy who has a very enthusiastic hobby of taking 'fake SEALs' to task) has a great line about the "I can't talk about my time in the service/with the teams because it's classified": Ops are classified, service is not. Anyone who says their military record is classified is 100% full of poo poo, 100% of the time.

I would bet *money* that this "friend of a friend" loves to hit people up for money using his ~cred~ as an ~honourable souldieur~ as proof that he's 'good for it.'

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 15, 2019

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

Deathy McDeath posted:

Thank you for this and everyone else who replied, the sanity check is very much appreciated. I'm not going to confront anyone about it and stir things up mostly because I'm a total wuss, but he's got steady work and family life and if he's a felon that has built his life back up then I'm sure not going to bust him. Maybe if things go south I will do a FOIA just to get answers

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don Shipley (a guy who has a very enthusiastic hobby of taking 'fake SEALs' to task) has a great line about the "I can't talk about my time in the service/with the teams because it's classified": Ops are classified, service is not. Anyone who says their military record is classified is 100% full of poo poo, 100% of the time.

I would bet *money* that this "friend of a friend" loves to hit people up for money using his ~cred~ as an ~honourable souldieur~ as proof that he's 'good for it.'

Yeah. I work for Veteran's Affairs and it still amazes me when people try to tell me "I was a SEAL man, now I have PTSD" when I literally have their entire personnel file in front of me showing that they never even made it to Coronado. BTW, the graduating lists from service schools, such as BUD/S are not classified and are considered public records.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
signed, a SOF marine

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CainFortea posted:

People who do stuff they can't or don't want to talk about do things like not bring it up. Or talk about little incidental things like funny stories about idiots in garrison. Or lie.

Until Band of Brothers came out Bill Guarnere would tell people who asked about his leg that it was a boating accident.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

signed, a SOF marine

ask me about mypay

seriously don’t, I have no idea what that actually is

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If you're looking to stunt, just make sure you don't steal too much valor.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

BULLETKISS posted:

This reminded me of my first duty station. Had a Senior Airman on the flight line, super douchey and didn't want to do the work. He went to the doc and he had some kind of narcolepsy type disorder. Personally I didn't believe it, but I wasn't his supervisor so I didn't know all the details. I'm not a doctor so it is what it is.

Gets put on light duty, super easy stuff, but still he's a total skater. He claims he can't drive the van to work (we had a 45 min commute to/from the shop) because of his disorder. Ok fine, we don't want to die on the freeway anyway. Then he takes the van to go get food at lunchtime without telling anyone. He comes back to a world of poo poo with the flight chief and he doesn't get it. Hey, can't pick and choose which rules you can skate on. He whined so much after that it was ridiculous.

Same guy, I tell him to take out the trash or something small like that. 10 min later I see someone else doing it. I ask him the deal and he said he delegated it...to another Senior Airman...because he outranked him by 2 months. Nah..doesn't work like that playa. The fact that the other SrA actually listened to him also boggled the mind. I was slightly impressed, but that wasn't the point.
This dude just sounds like a hero

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
From the r/relationships thread:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I [F17] met an USAF guy [M19] last month and he's already talking about babies and marriage.

Living right next to an Air Force base my whole life I (F17) always heard the joke that Air men propose on the third date.... Which I thought was just a joke but oh my god I was wrong.....

Last month I met an air force guy (M19) online, despite living in the same town I didn't think we'd even see each other but boy was I wrong, we've been sleeping with each other for the last month, I've definitely seen a few red flags, like he hardly ever uses condoms (he pulls out but I don't think that's a good form of birth control)

Last night we were talking, he made it fairly clear that he wants me pregnant. I asked him "what if I get pregnant" and he responded with "Not if... when you do get pregnant." I explained to him that my mom would kill me if I were to get pregnant seeing as I'm only 17. Then he suggests that when I do get pregnant, I can move in with him... and get married

Personally I think he just wants off base, he's currently an e2 which means he has to live in the dorms on base until next year (unless he's married before then) So basically I'm his ticket to living off base.

Despite some of the concerns I have, I still really do like him, we're definitely moving way too fast but I've heard that's normal for service members. I hope with time that we can get to know each other better and maybe in the future have kids or whatever.

TL;DR I (F17) have been seeing an airman (M19) for a month, I told him my concerns about getting pregnant he kinda brushed it off he suggested marriage and moving in together.

I dunno if he's the idiot or if she's the idiot for seeing through it and still saying "but I really like him!"

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

quote:

From the r/relationships thread:
Last night we were talking, he made it fairly clear that he wants me pregnant. I asked him "what if I get pregnant" and he responded with "Not if... when you do get pregnant." I explained to him that my mom would kill me if I were to get pregnant seeing as I'm only 17. Then he suggests that when I do get pregnant, I can move in with him... and get married

So this is going to be a domestic violence story next right? Cuz that sounds like the prelude to my friend's abusive relationship with her ex

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stravag posted:

So this is going to be a domestic violence story next right? Cuz that sounds like the prelude to my friend's abusive relationship with her ex

Looking at the comments on the original reddit post... probably. :smith: she's already convinced she's in to deep to leave even while people tell her to GTFO.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It figures. My major #1 top alert red flag went up with the "you'll be present eventually" bit

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stravag posted:

It figures. My major #1 top alert red flag went up with the "you'll be presentperganent eventually" bit

dummy

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It's me. Im the idiot that doesn't proofread swype hard enough

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I only know one guy who I've confirmed was likely in a Special unit, and he doesnt talk about his service at all, to the point that I know he has major bouts of depression and sudden bouts of crying.

I saw someone ask him about his time in, and he just kinda went quiet and said he didnt want to talk about it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Am I pregananant?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

99% of your time in the military is jerking off so that doesn’t seem like polite conversation.

Did he ever complain about MyPay?

I've touched all the walls of a shared shower. I've searched racks for watch reliefs under red lights in places I wouldn't go in the full light of day. I've found bottles in spaces man. Bottles in spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

piL posted:

I've touched all the walls of a shared shower. I've searched racks for watch reliefs under red lights in places I wouldn't go in the full light of day. I've found bottles in spaces man. Bottles in spaces.

Have you ever slept in a jack shack?
Do you desperately hope all these things would wash away, like tears in the rain?