Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PITT posted:

Doesn't it have to do with PC release specifically increasing time artificially based FPS? I read something about that, made me chuckle. Why would you ever use that to track game time, in any game, ever. :psyduck:

That is a ridiculously common design choice, especially for games born on consoles where you'll have locked frame rates and thus can treat it as a constant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Dameius posted:

That is a ridiculously common design choice, especially for games born on consoles where you'll have locked frame rates and thus can treat it as a constant.

So... lock to 30fps for now I guess.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
Yea, like why use a clock, that is crazy talk!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

PITT posted:

Doesn't it have to do with PC release specifically increasing time artificially based FPS? I read something about that, made me chuckle. Why would you ever use that to track game time, in any game, ever. :psyduck:

Right? And it's not like other systems are being affected by frame rate, so clearly they know how to scale correctly. Just a bizarre choice, considering they knew it would be coming to PC from the start.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Does this stuff matter for multiplayer or does that run differently cause of server related stuffed?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I have noticed my cores in multiplayer seem to deplete quicker than I remembered from the console, but I was chalking that up to being low level and not having maxed out ability cards keeping me topped off.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Dameius posted:

tl;dr: It comes from originally timing updates to the wrong kind of clock, probably for optimization reasons.

Yep, this. It's almost certainly going to be a problem with a port to PC (this doesn't often happen in the other direction). It's based on assumptions about fixed vs variable game clocks. Basically, it's cheaper for an engine to check an event queue after previously queue'd actions are executed. It's sometimes more expensive, but also sometimes necessary, to update on fixed intervals. PCs have more variable display update frequencies compared to consoles. The fixed interval is sometimes slow or sometimes fast compared to the just-in-time update queue.

This isn't necessarily one of those "this was bound to fail" cases, though. The old code for beard growth incremented with some assumptions about frequency and it should've been included in the time series reviews. If, during a port, the check frequency changes, you have to calculate the time since the last update and smooth the results. Physics are usually the most obvious errors but these kinds of effects can sneak in.

My guess is that, in this situation, there's a check for "am I hungry?" and it is built to expect the check to happen on a clock that is functionally fixed for consoles but not for PCs. Once you're past the hungry threshold, which happens super fast because the "how many ticks since I last ate" check also goes crazy, your status gets dinged way more often than the origionally intended 2x per second.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 16, 2019

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Holy hell, just what on earth possesses developers to release loving 100+GB games?? I have FIOS and it still takes multiple hours. What the heck are they putting in here to get such a massive install? raw 4k video files??

Orv
May 4, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Holy hell, just what on earth possesses developers to release loving 100+GB games?? I have FIOS and it still takes multiple hours. What the heck are they putting in here to get such a massive install? raw 4k video files??

I'm sure there's an actual technical reason for it beyond only laziness but at some point I suppose someone figured internet and storage were ubiquitous enough to stop bothering with compression. Not ideal for people who don't actually have that, obviously.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
it's probably 90% audio files

there is an insane amount of dialogue in this game

e: like, seriously, just a stupid amount of dialogue

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Audio and textures. It's not an insane amount of you compare it to recent high def texture pack add ons. That being said...150GB costs next to nothing and loading graphics and audio assets should almost always be done locally for performance reasons - even if it's not on an ssd.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I think I've just about managed to tweak the performance back to where it was prepatch, but I still get a massive drop if I ride through trees. This is such a drag after it being so smooth before.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I think I've just about managed to tweak the performance back to where it was prepatch, but I still get a massive drop if I ride through trees. This is such a drag after it being so smooth before.

Just making sure,: Do you have tree tessellation turned off? That's a setting they brought in with the patch last week, and it's a huge performance hit. All the way at the very bottom of the settings list.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to force the compass to always point North?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Toaster Beef posted:

Just making sure,: Do you have tree tessellation turned off? That's a setting they brought in with the patch last week, and it's a huge performance hit. All the way at the very bottom of the settings list.

Yeah, that one wasn't turned on by default and I haven't touched it.

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but the lighting looks better than it did before - mostly in terms of reflections from various materials. I've tweaked stuff like ambient occlusion which doesn't seem to change performance / the effect I'm seeing noticeably.

I'm on a Vega 64 / 1440p if that makes any difference.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Oh God I just found out how to fix the persistent mouse cursor issue in a Reddit Google result. It's a problem with the epic portal. Go to your epic games install folder:

"$\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Extras\Overlay" and move/delete the four files in there.

Boy, do I regret buying on EGS for whatever reason that I did. Assumed that was the only place, I suppose.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 16, 2019

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

The update nuked my settings and I can't get it back to the smooth 70fps or so I had before.

I was one of the lucky ones in that I've had no issues from launch, feels like the pendulum has swung now.

There's a few quick-win settings in advanced that have little impact on fidelity, especially water physics, reflections, near volumetric lighting quality (still looks good on low). Water physics quality especially tanks FPS

Also, I haven't touched story mode much yet but found a church for ants in the Bayou in online, what the hell:

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 16, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
I wouldn't worry about it.

Might run though.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Some people mentioned having trouble with the latest NVidia drivers. Which version are you guys using without issue?

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Unpacked I guess

112.41 GB download for me. Yikes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was one of the people mentioning the drivers, I'm on the newest drivers right now. I am not quite at the performance that I was right at launch but it's fine. I feel like a performance dip happened after the patch that felt a lot like the Nvidia dip, so I don't think an older driver would really help in this case. Maybe though

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
If you're looking to squeeze some performance out of the game, this thread on reddit has a pretty good settings base to start from while still keeping a majority of the quality

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/dvtd0b/rdr2_hardware_unboxed_optimization_part2/f7en4id/

edit: VVV Good point, here's a link to the part 1 video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=385eG1IEZMU

and part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3xQ33Cq4CE

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 16, 2019

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
credit where it's due that info comes from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCI8iQa1hv7oV_Z8D35vVuSg hardware unboxed who do these fantastic bang for buck videos for every major title as they are released.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
PSA: check your graphics settings after that latest patch. Mine all got reset to low, I had to set them back to defaults

For those having stutters/low fps, try using the defaults and see if it's any different. I was having lots of random stuttering problems until I set particles back to default (med for me, on a 1070Ti). The ingame benchmark thing is really handy

This game might get me to upgrade my video card again, if prices aren't still ridiculous

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

tak posted:

PSA: check your graphics settings after that latest patch. Mine all got reset to low, I had to set them back to defaults

For those having stutters/low fps, try using the defaults and see if it's any different. I was having lots of random stuttering problems until I set particles back to default (med for me, on a 1070Ti). The ingame benchmark thing is really handy

This game might get me to upgrade my video card again, if prices aren't still ridiculous

I'd wait, especially if you have a 1070 Ti. Assuming no delays or hiccups, Nvidia should be dropping nre cards this coming spring.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

SplitSoul posted:

Some people mentioned having trouble with the latest NVidia drivers. Which version are you guys using without issue?

112.41 GB download for me. Yikes.

Mine ends in 4112, dated 25/10. I rolled back from the most recent one.
DX is still unusable but Vulkan is quite smooth now on that driver I actually played a few hours today with no major issues. Looks like poo poo though, it cut 1 gig off my available VRAM so everything is medium to low.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
150gb is a lot but then i remember that they've tricked a rock into recreating the old west by blasting electricity through it and piped it to your apartment at lightspeed and you know, i'm okay with waiting a few extra hours

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Are there any awesome bugs in RDR2 comparable to humans flying by flapping their arms or the hang gliding horse?

Squirrel Burger posted:

150gb is a lot but then i remember that they've tricked a rock into recreating the old west by blasting electricity through it and piped it to your apartment at lightspeed and you know, i'm okay with waiting a few extra hours

I'm stuck on 10Mbit via wi-fi at the moment, estimated time just says "A day remaining". :sigh:

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 16, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
lol PSA to remember to go into a free aim lobby. I forgot to do this and got rolling block rifle head shot about 50 times in a row. Some really impossibly shots.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I feel so bad for you internet poors, my gigabit fiber connection sucks down these 100gig patches like candy.

But for real, even waiting like 10 minutes for 100gigs kinda sucks. Gigabit no longer makes me feel like it used to, someone get me a bigger pipe to satisfy my needs.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Glenn Quebec posted:

lol PSA to remember to go into a free aim lobby. I forgot to do this and got rolling block rifle head shot about 50 times in a row. Some really impossibly shots.

Also PSA, there doesn't seem to be any downside to being in Defensive Mode. It's not like Passive Mode in GTA, you can still attack people. Its just like a buff vs other players that you get for not being hostile

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also PSA, there doesn't seem to be any downside to being in Defensive Mode. It's not like Passive Mode in GTA, you can still attack people. Its just like a buff vs other players that you get for not being hostile

It stops you from being able to use aim assist but of course that doesn't matter if you're using mouse and keyboard.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I highly recommend the trader free roam event. Pvp is disabled and you and a bunch of people just camp on a train popping bandits that try to attack it while it moves between stations. It was really fun and chill.

The hunting event is pretty cool too. I have to say the PvP events are ok if you're really in to that, but this game really feels like it shines in co-op and PvE events.

lambskin posted:

It stops you from being able to use aim assist but of course that doesn't matter if you're using mouse and keyboard.

Oh wow that's the only penalty? I sometimes get the urge to pop some dude but I thought I'd have to come out of defensive first. Good to know!

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Will I be at any sort of severe disadvantage if I play online with a controller? not super interested in PvP tho.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

How do I ensure I'm in a free aim lobby.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Hakarne posted:

Oh wow that's the only penalty? I sometimes get the urge to pop some dude but I thought I'd have to come out of defensive first. Good to know!

Supposedly it increases your aggressiveness quite a bit and takes you out of defensive mode if you attack people first but I've been killed by defensive mode players first without them losing their status.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Hakarne posted:

I highly recommend the trader free roam event. Pvp is disabled and you and a bunch of people just camp on a train popping bandits that try to attack it while it moves between stations. It was really fun and chill.

Yeah trade route is a lot of fun and I hope we get more content like that. The Halloween event was such a missed opportunity by making it PvP.

Bullfrog posted:

Will I be at any sort of severe disadvantage if I play online with a controller? not super interested in PvP tho.

Not really, the game feels better suited to relaxing with a controller.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

pnumoman posted:

I feel so bad for you internet poors, my gigabit fiber connection sucks down these 100gig patches like candy.

But for real, even waiting like 10 minutes for 100gigs kinda sucks. Gigabit no longer makes me feel like it used to, someone get me a bigger pipe to satisfy my needs.

Wait, is the new patch seriously that big?! I’ve been out of town for a few days and haven’t downloaded it yet. My Australian internet is already quaking in fear..

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The two big ones so far have been 3 gigs, and there was a smaller one

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I was thinking of picking up the PC port, but after seeing the shitshow surrounding the PC launch I ended up just starting a new game on the BoneX instead.

My first playthrough on console last year was... I don't want to say rushed, because I did wander around a lot and completed most of the side missions, but I also really wanted to get to the end so I could see what happens. Anyway, now I'm taking it real slow, just exploring and chilling and doing cowboy poo poo without any pressure to progress the story, and I'm having a great time despite the controls and UI being as cumbersome as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Kudos to the folks who did those settings posted above, I've been trying them out and it still looks just as pretty as ever