Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

precision posted:

FF14 also had the advantage of knowing what kind of game it even was supposed to be

FF14 got its poo poo together when the director got replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

The bartender stuff is just beyond parody at this point. What the christ.

What is this 85% poo poo on stuff like 'Vehicle third person camera'? The arbitrary task percentage stuff is just so much bullshit. That 'last 15%' could be literally anything, from 'just needs some localization' to 'It drags FPS down by 80% and is totally hosed'.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 16, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The bartender stuff is just beyond parody at this point. What the christ.

What is this 85% poo poo on stuff like 'Vehicle third person camera'? The arbitrary task percentage stuff is just so much bullshit. That 'last 15%' could be literally anything, from 'just needs some localization' to 'It drags FPS down by 80% and is totally hosed'.

It all boils down to mismanagement and CYA.

Must be interesting to be 22, in a senior position and explain things in front of the leads.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

WaltherFeng posted:

Out of curiosity I looked at an old road map of FFXIV 2.0 and it basically says "Redo loving everything" and it took them 2 years.

They finished the battle system in 5 months.

You know, everyone complains about how long it takes Square to make a game, but in retrospect, during the years it took them to make FF15 and KH3 they were mostly distracted by making like a billion other fully completed games. So they're loving masters of game development, ESPECIALLY when compared to CIG.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

gently caress, CitizenCon is going to be so good this year lol.

IDK, it seems like it should be, but I'm always prepared for CIG to disappoint.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I stumbled across this in my general youtubing…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7f3JZJHSw
…and as much as we keep tossing the phrase around with little to support it aside from some fumbling and as a general point of derision, listening to that description of what someone who does not know or understand the language of computer games does when confronted with a game, it just struck me how Chris manages to tick every box.

He doesn't understand games.
On a deeply fundamental level.

He's stuck in a loop of “why can't I do…” without ever realising that his job as a game designer is to teach the player to exist and act within the design constraints of the game, that such constraints are inherent to all games, and that there is a conventional language to how these things actually work.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

Roadmap Roundup November 15th 2019

...Klescher Automated Prison SCOPE CREEP
This card introduces the Klescher Automated Prison, which is owned and operated by Klescher Rehabilitation Facilities, a private corrections provider. This fully automated corrections site includes housing, security, and work release opportunities to allow prisoners to be productive while paying their debt to society. This card has been added to the Roadmap for Alpha 3.9. ...

I wonder, is this is because they can't get NPCs to behave?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Easily escapable and incompetent lowest bidder robo-prisons are at least true to the corporate background.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Agony Aunt posted:

I'm going for a simpler bingo card...

:golfclap:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Microsoft Flight Simulator - X019 - Gameplay Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBgO6St9ug

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12770-Chris-Roberts-On-Multiplayer-Single-Player-And-Instancing

November 11th 2012

drat, 7 Years ago! How close are we to his scenarios after 300 Million Dollar sunk?

You could be upset, or expect more...

But you could also respect what Chris did and just let him absolve himself of all those pesky promises he made to people! He didn't have any problems or remorse doing that so why should you?

It's really much easier that way. :)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The fanboys on Relay discuss roadmap delays: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/509250660?t=0h39m28s

:tizzy: "Squadron supposedly out next year, but they are not making much progress on the Chapters, at all"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So desperate to find an explanation that doesn't equate to a mix of CIG being bad and CIG being less open than Apple. :ohdear:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mirificus posted:

Microsoft Flight Simulator - X019 - Gameplay Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBgO6St9ug

I see no prisons or caves. What gameplay can it possibly offer?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/dx99h6/datamined_new_info_from_ptu_372a/

Possible upcoming missions:

quote:

VendingMachine_RestockBox_Title=Box of Stock

VendingMachien_Puzzle_Restock_ShortDescription=Restock the Vending Machine.

VendingMachin_Puzzle_RestockMachine_LongDescription=The Vending Machine has run out of stock and is now spitting out errors. Restock it.

VendingMachine_Puzzle_Restock_LongDescription=The Vending Machine has run out of 'x' item. Go to the storage cupboard and find a box of Vending Stock.

VendingMachine_JammedRack_MarkerTitle=Jammed Rack

VendingMachine_Puzzle_Title_JammedRack=Find the jam in the item dispensers.

VendingMachine_Puzzle_Jam_ShortDescription=Find the jammed item on the Food Racks.

VendingMachine_Puzzle_Jam_LongDescription=Something appears to be jamming one of the Food Racks inside the machine. Locate the blockage and fix it.

VendingMachine_Mission_Title=Fix the Vending Machine.

VendingMachine_Mission_ShortDescription=Open up and fix the Vending machine at 'x'.

VendingMachine_Mission_LongDiscrioption=Someting's broken the Vending Machine at 'x' location. Go open it up and see what's wrong with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hahahahahaha

He's literally talking out of his rear end

This whole interview is snake oil bs he's making up to sound good, none of it is true.

quote:

When you think of standard video games, you have a limited number of actions you can take, or “verbs” so to speak. It seems like in Star Citizen you want that to be limitless?

We’re tying to build it in a simulation-style way. If you saw Ready Player One, it’s not necessarily all the fictional worlds, but we want that sense of just going into another virtual universe but being able to actually interact and do things. Because of the rules of the world, the things you think you could do, you could do. It’s a challenge to build something to be able to do that at the scale we’re trying, but it’s also hugely exhilarating as you start to put parts of it together. We’re still working on making it better and more reliable but if you have a webcam you can drive [control] the face of your avatar in the game, which is a really high-fidelity face. We’re using the same techniques they used on Avatar. We also take your voice and process it and put it into the world, placing you in this world with a higher sense of immersion than previously. We’re working very much on things that will increase social interaction, increase the feeling of realism in the world, for you to get lost in it and have fun, escape from our world, so to speak.

Except none of this remotely works anything like this in Star Citizen. There are an extremely few limited "verbs" you can do. Being able to do anything would require like, Second Life style letting you code the game or script things; they definitely aren't doing that.

Also Chris is incapable of having his own ideas. Everything is just "Hey, you see Avatar? We're gonna do that! You see Ready Player One?"

Chris has seen movies. And attempts to prop himself up by name-dropping them.

Also, Everquest 2 did facial motion capture like 10 years ago, its not new tech. And lmao at just saying "really high-fidelity face". It actually looks like rear end compared to modern videogames.

quote:

What techniques or technologies have you developed that weren’t feasible seven years ago, when you started this project?

When I first started this, I didn’t think we’d be able to realize the planets and walk around them in first-person any way you want, but as we went on, the power of computers and GPUs has been getting better. The cloud’s become sort of ubiquitous, we run all our servers in AWS at the moment. The power of those machines continues to increase. When we first start the game, I thought we’d have to have all these different instances, so people would play in their instance and not be able to join with their friends because they might not be on the same server. But with the new cloud power, we’re gonna be able to do this thing we call “server meshing” which allows a whole bunch of servers to run in the cloud and talk to each other. So instead of having 400 servers and each server has 100 or 200 people on it, and those people can’t see [players on other servers], if they all mesh together you could have all 4,000 people or 40,000 people in the same world at the same time. We’re not the only people that are working on that. That’s the sort of thing that you won’t be able to get on a single-player game that I think can be really compelling. That definitely wasn’t something people were talking about when I first pitched this in 2012.

I worked on an MMO with planet scale planets back in 2009. There were several other projects at the same time working on the same idea. Universe Simulator is a thing.

Roberts is just completely clueless on the state of the industry and what is feasible and what isn't, what what we need better hardware for. He's loving clueless.

Also everything here about "The cloud" is pure bullshit. He doesn't understand the technology.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 16, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

quote:

008=Trespassing (Second Degree)

Willfully entering and remaining on private or public property that they do not own nor have they been granted permission from the owner.

quote:

031=Battery (Second Degree)

Intentionally applying physical force to another being without that person's consent.
The inevitable consequence of gravity.

quote:

ShipSelector_PayFineDescription=This vehicle has been impounded. A fine must be paid to release it.
Sweet, another income of source.

quote:

Medium R&R:

Owned and operated by Rest & Relax
:honk:

quote:

sandbox_criminals_title=***WIP*** Eliminate criminals for money
"The higher the CrimeStat, the higher the reward."
Will servers just farm crime stat and then kills?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Needs more mopping really

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

What, no sandworm yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVsh-9ZOkPA

:smuggo:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

“Staggering their sprints” sounds like technobabble from a Rick and Morty episode

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Virtual Citcon is going well...

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

I worked on an MMO with planet scale planets back in 2009. There were several other projects at the same time working on the same idea. Universe Simulator is a thing.

Star Citizen is $300 million lesson on the difference between can't and don't.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Staggering pledges.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
This entire project has been Crobbler screaming "notice me" at Hollywood while detaching money from the easily dazzled.
"I offer fidelitious movie effects! Look a sand worm (oh no look away it went *poof*)!"
"Look a large scale planet (oh no look away it also gone *poof* )!"
" Over there, it's the space ship from Alien, a vast Blade Runner-esque city, Hamill, Oldman and Anderson in CGI!"
"Look at the amazing mini shorts we create that sell jpegs and fake land like hotcakes"

I'm so looking forward to the new big thing of their con. Don't let me down Crobs.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Possible upcoming missions:

VendingMachine_Puzzle_Restock_LongDescription=The Vending Machine has run out of 'x' item. Go to the storage cupboard and find a box of Vending Stock.

Be still, my beating heart.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper posted:

This. At this point the only valid parallel would have been interviewing CEO of OUYA, hugely successfully crowdfunded campaign, for the future of gaming consoles...

...if OUYA was still in development, years late, was still taking money from idiots who believed in the non-viable "free the games" motto, and had as working prototype what we now know was the final product (which to be fair, at least was closer to what was promised than Star Citizen will ever be).

How bad was the OUYA in the end? I threw in a few bucks in the Kickstarter just to see what would happened but mostly forgot about it after that.
I get that it was a complete flop, but did it sort of work at all?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bofast posted:

How bad was the OUYA in the end? I threw in a few bucks in the Kickstarter just to see what would happened but mostly forgot about it after that.

It sort of worked, but it really wasn't up to date, it's nonsense to make it that small. You can see the specs here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya#Specifications - it allowed for only crude and simple games to be played on it, it still overheated, and the games offered were few and sparse.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

It sort of worked, but it really wasn't up to date, it's nonsense to make it that small. You can see the specs here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya#Specifications - it allowed for only crude and simple games to be played on it, it still overheated, and the games offered were few and sparse.

They should have asked Chris Roberts, "Creator of Star Citizen," about the gaming future, and he could have helped them use server meshes to release the power in the machines. Serves them right, really.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bofast posted:

It "worked" in that it had some cell-phone quality games you could play on a TV.

It didn't work in that the controller fell apart as you played it.

It didn't work in that they had to abandon the "all games have a free demo" concept in order to try to get anybody to put games on it.

It didn't work in that the company went bankrupt and they never had much games to play on it other than things already on the iOS or Android stores.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Did it work as in someone made lots of money for doing something really ineptly?

That's the Star Citizen way.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: VendingMachien_Puzzle_Restock

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
CIG have pioneered the use of both underscore and PascalCase, this is revolutionary

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

zebedy posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: VendingMachien_Puzzle_Restock

:five:

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

How is it that none of the citizens are complaining about third person cameras? That is a super anti-sim addition. It means that anyone playing from the cockpit of a vehicle is potentially at a severe disadvantage. This was a outrage when it was added to mechwarrior online. Yet these morons are completely okay with it.

Also my depression got worse seeing people so broken as looking forward to vending machine maintenance.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Armadillo Tank posted:

How is it that none of the citizens are complaining about third person cameras? That is a super anti-sim addition. It means that anyone playing from the cockpit of a vehicle is potentially at a severe disadvantage. This was a outrage when it was added to mechwarrior online. Yet these morons are completely okay with it.

Also my depression got worse seeing people so broken as looking forward to vending machine maintenance.

3rd Person Camera salt:

Vending Machine Maintenance Dreams:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

Vending Machine Maintenance Dreams:

RIMMER: Pass me a 14B, Lister.

LISTER hands him a small, white pipe cleaner.

RIMMER: Lister, is this a 14B? Does it look even *remotely* like a 14B?

He reaches into the parts trolley and pulls out another white pipe
cleaner, indistinguishable from the first.

RIMMER: *This* is a 14B, Lister. This (indicating the original) is a
14F. Are you blind?!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Remember if Chris Roberts was to have an Arnold Rimmer in Star Citizen, he would not cheat, he would use real hologram projection for the motion caption of the role of the actor of the hologram.

BDSSE

Fidelity.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sarsapariller posted:

Looking good! Only about half of all the features in the quarterly patch have been cut this week! At this rate they might actually ship an item or two in December!

:tif:

Also, Cloud Emporium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Bofast posted:

The OUYA was for a problem that didn't need solving in the 1st place, couch gaming with friends still existed on the big 3 consoles. But the company was a comedy of errors, setting up a booth in a car park across the street from E3 and promoting Donkey Kong Country on the system are the bigger ones.

Having said that, the android consoles has never really disappeared with the nvidia shield still around and OUYA was bought by Razer for a stupid amount of money.