Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oof -- turns out one can't (obviously) use card styles on deck box covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Ran into a guy playing Oko maindecking Aether Gust. The things this card does to people.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Justin_Brett posted:

Ran into a guy playing Oko maindecking Aether Gust. The things this card does to people.

I encountered that while playing a Jeskai Fires deck. He used it on my Casualties of War, then conceded after I just put it on top of my deck.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

If we don’t get Oko, Once Upon a Time, and Veil bans tomorrow in Standard then WoTC is literally insane

Lol I'd bet OuaT isn't even on their radar. It's a very good card that only seems busted because green is great atm

flatluigi posted:

I think with a Nissa ban Krasis is a lot worse and I don't think you'd get a Krasis ban before a Nissa ban.

Agreed. Krasis is very good but only a problem when big mana is so easy to achieve. Nissa is more of a problem in every respect than Krasis.

I'd say Oko, Nissa, and Veil, because god forbid a spell not get countered

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 16, 2019

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nissa is a big problem that I think people want to pretend isn't an issue since she's a 5 mana card but in reality she comes out on turn 3 or 4 especially when Once Upon a Time can get you your ramping creatures consistently and then gives you 2 mana back. When she's coming out on turn 4 and then doubling mana afterwards the game is pretty much over if there isn't immediate removal and she facilitates the ridiculous huge Krasis or Mass Manipulations very early in a game.

The fact we don't know WHICH busted green cards exactly need to go is pretty indicative of the huge failure in testing they've done here.

I still think it's a tossup if they ban Oko or not. It really seems he's been pushed knowing how overpowered he is (their explanation on how he slipped through made no sense) and I think there's a good chance they try to ban stuff around him and pray.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 16, 2019

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Lol I'd bet OuaT isn't even on their radar. It's a very good card that only seems busted because green is great atm

OuaT is the card that is making all green decks the most consistent decks in the format. combined with the London Mulligan, it gives green players an almost guaranteed playable hand every game that no other colour comes close to.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
if Oath of Nissa had to be stopped idk how you begin to justify Once Upon A Time. "oh there's no static mana fixing effect and it doesn't hit PWs" well OaN wasn't instant speed, or FREE(!)

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
There was a data breach, but financial stuff wasn't exposed. Got a week to change your passwords.

https://dotesports.com/mtg/news/mtg-arena-and-magic-online-suffer-a-security-data-breach

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

The Deleter posted:

Embercleave owns, get a few copies and build yourself a knights deck.

I had someone throw Embercleave on a Dreadhorde Butcher, and that caught me off because the "damage to player" trigger happens after both first strike and regular damage.

Rankle would be a really mean thing to give double strike as well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm having trouble finding the password change. Anyone find it?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I threw together this deck because I wanted to build a deck around "Puss-in-Boots", the idea of putting Crystal Slippers on a Cat.

4 Charmed Stray (WAR) 8
5 Mountain (ELD) 265
4 Crystal Slipper (ELD) 119
10 Plains (ELD) 253
2 Embercleave (ELD) 120
3 Sentinel's Mark (RNA) 20
4 Gods Willing (M20) 19
2 Feather, the Redeemed (WAR) 197
3 Ajani's Pridemate (WAR) 4
4 Boros Guildgate (GRN) 243
4 Infuriate (M20) 145
3 Burning Prophet (WAR) 117
2 Nahiri, Storm of Stone (WAR) 233
3 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
2 Temple of Triumph (M20) 257
3 Samut's Sprint (WAR) 142
2 Beloved Princess (ELD) 7

It turns out that having Charmed Stray or Beloved Princess with Embercleave is a wonderful thing, and is the perfect Ajani's Pridemate pump! People have been so trained to kill Ajani's Pridemate that they tend to forget the Double Strike on something with Embercleave.

I mean, it's basically just a Feather deck with some accoutrements, but I like it, and it worked pretty well for me.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm having trouble finding the password change. Anyone find it?

You have to reset it via forgot password at the login screen. You can't change your password after logging in.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

But you can change your recovery email. Powerfully secure.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

What if they banned goose, nissa, krasis, OUAT, and veil, but not Oko? And wicked wolf, why not.

Would Oko still be good? (probably yes)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ban green and blue imo

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Drewjitsu posted:

What if they banned goose, nissa, krasis, OUAT, and veil, but not Oko? And wicked wolf, why not.

Would Oko still be good? (probably yes)
BBD recently let loose with an "Oko's not the biggest problem" take

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Don't ban OUAT until after the cascade event. I want to start every game with an Innkeeper in play.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Funkdreamer posted:

BBD recently let loose with an "Oko's not the biggest problem" take

Not that I can prove it, but in my head I threw the comedy option of paradise druid for ban, just because hexproof mana acceleration is bonkers. I went with wolf instead. Totally agree with BBD's assessment of wolf and krasis being fair cards supported by absolutely bonkers ones.

I'm glad that someone else agrees with the subtle, but real power that a hexproof mana dork has on the format. We're probably never going to see that combination of abilities on a creature ever again.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Oddly, my Arena account that I can't seem to log in to anymore does not send an email when I ask for a password reset. I wonder why...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Big McHuge posted:

I'm a fast player, probably at times to my own detriment. However, if you start spamming good game when you don't even have lethal on board, you bet your rear end I'm gonna alt-tab out to watch cat videos or something.

People who throw tantrums over emote spam are infinitely bigger losers than people who emote spam

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sometimes I say good game someone when maybe it looks like I am taunting them but actually I expect to lose, like if I'm ahead but recognize they are going to combo off and then stay in to see somebody's combo go off. Today I good-gamed someone on my turn when I had a bunch of flamplers on board but I was certain he would play a huge Finale of Glory to win and he did and it was cool. It was x=24!

Speaking of flample Hydroid Krasis not only shouldn't be banned, it's a great card and I'm glad they printed it. It's like the purest expression of UG there is. UG as a color combo is all about investing in the future and going over the top of your opponent, and Krasis is the embodiment of that strategy. Oko is not that, he may be UG in flavor but he doesn't really fit with UG's traditional tempo or value strategies. He's a guy who creates lifegain, a body, or fucks with your opponent's resources once a turn for free. That's much more in WU's sphere.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 17, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wolf is an unreal stupid card and the result of grossly twisting one ability into another but ending up with a stupider version of it. But I kinda feel like it's not really in banning class. There's this super weird thing where there's "regeneration hate" cards early on in Magic and like, one good regenerator until River Boa? But if you've played against wolf which is trying to implement a slightly less bizarre regeneration you realize pretty quickly regeneration is insanely frustrating to play against.

So of course, they made it better? I honestly think regeneration is easier to grasp than protection but maybe a newer player who has run with both can tell me which one they find more confusing? Let me know if you made it through the end of my ted talk

Arglebargle III posted:

Speaking of flample Hydroid Krasis not only shouldn't be banned, it's like the purest expression of UG there is. UG as a color combo is all about investing in the future and going over the top of your opponent, and Krasis is the embodiment of that strategy.
I am always going to prefer Frample, which is the sound a flying creature with trample makes when it smashes into another flying creature. FRAMPLE!

Anyway yeah Krasis is a really cool card. It really doesn't do a ton until you're casting it for six, and even then, it's not broken. It's the part where the card starts scaling into outerspace because they printed way too many good ramp cards in a format with weird removal issues and just bad hosed up balance that it turns into an unfair card.

I mean the real issue with green in this format isn't exactly power level. It's consistency. Simic food is like, a selection of 12 individual cards that go "Does X well, but is also a threat". Wicked wolf, hydra? Removal, but also a threat. Paradise Druid, Nissa? Ramp, but also a threat.Once upon a time? Mulligan protection, but also, turns into a threat. Oko? Food tokens turn into a threat. The least mulligans, the most answers, the most consistent threats. Wowie zowie.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean the real issue with green in this format isn't exactly power level. It's consistency. Simic food is like, a selection of 12 individual cards that go "Does X well, but is also a threat". Wicked wolf, hydra? Removal, but also a threat. Paradise Druid, Nissa? Ramp, but also a threat.Once upon a time? Mulligan protection, but also, turns into a threat. Oko? Food tokens turn into a threat. The least mulligans, the most answers, the most consistent threats. Wowie zowie.

This is a really good way to put it, and I think Oko is the most egregious example by far. He's a 3 drop that offers life gain, free creatures, and limited creature removal - all while scaling into outer space beyond the realm of (realistic) combat damage pretty quickly. Without Oko, green will still be plenty strong - but you can at least play around it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My main takeaways for Cascade are don't have 1- and 2-drops that target creatures you own, because you're likely to waste the free spells by drawing them and being unable to cast them on your first creature.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
My takeaway is to play simic and cast once upon a time on turn 1 so you can start turn 2 with two gilded geese and follow up with questing beast cascading into oko

well, that was my gameplan, until my opponents conceded to me cascading into gilded goose off of once upon a time in every game

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

odinson posted:

There was a data breach, but financial stuff wasn't exposed. Got a week to change your passwords.

https://dotesports.com/mtg/news/mtg-arena-and-magic-online-suffer-a-security-data-breach
According to WotC, the passwords on the file were stored in hashed and salted form, meaning they were secured cryptographically and are extremely difficult to decipher.

But those players are still required to reset their passwords within the next seven days, or WotC will manually reset them.

why

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Just to piss you off

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It is utterly amazing to me how many people not only don't kill Edgewall Innkeeper on sight, but will target something else instead like Faerie Guidemother (I play the GW version of adventures) :psyduck: Especially when they've seen it let me draw 2-3 additional cards in a single turn.

Relin posted:

According to WotC, the passwords on the file were stored in hashed and salted form, meaning they were secured cryptographically and are extremely difficult to decipher.

But those players are still required to reset their passwords within the next seven days, or WotC will manually reset them.

why

Edit: OTOH, isn't it refreshing to have a company come out and say immediately "Hey, we were breached, change your PWs ASAP just in case."

Rather than let it sit for months, hoping nobody would notice and that login credentials wouldn't show up somewhere?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Depending on where their main office is located, they may be required to do this by law.
And yes, this is deeply refreshing for a company to own up to, most times you won't hear for a few years or the company will insist there's been no breach and blame a contractor, client, or whoever else is handy.
Plus the fact that they actually encrypted client data? If every company did this I wouldn't have a job.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So in the new Cascade event, if you play Simic/Sultai Oko deck, if you cast a Once Upon a Time for 0 on T1 you get a guaranteed free Goose.

Also none of Simic Oko's cards were banned for the event. This was definitely well-thought out, Wizards.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No they just want people to be able to play their Okos one last time in Standard

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, gonna say that Once upon a Time needs a ban in this cascade event for sure, and most likely tomorrow as well in standard!!

That said, I just tore through the cascade with Gruul Adventures. Once upon a Time into guaranteed Innkeeper during your opponent's turn 1.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Cool, got my account back this morning.

Now I have no idea what's going on in standard because I quit the moment Oko got spoiled. He is getting banhammered, right?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Corbeau posted:

Now I have no idea what's going on in standard because I quit the moment Oko got spoiled. He is getting banhammered, right?

Probably!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

qbert posted:

So in the new Cascade event, if you play Simic/Sultai Oko deck, if you cast a Once Upon a Time for 0 on T1 you get a guaranteed free Goose.

Also none of Simic Oko's cards were banned for the event. This was definitely well-thought out, Wizards.

Nevermind, found an even more broken combo, which is any deck with 4 Once + 4 Pelt Collector.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Corbeau posted:

We didn’t even know what food did when Oko was spoiled.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If you run a mono black discard deck in Cascade you deserve the worst things in life

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bazardebagda/status/1195463739945959424

This deck is faaast

I just played a guy and he had fires on 4 all three games, what are the odds of having a 4-of in your hand by turn 4?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
These festival events have been largely very fun. I appreciate the stupid in this one:

Deck
4 Faerie Miscreant (M20) 58
9 Mountain (ELD) 265
2 Anticipate (M20) 45
3 Faerie Vandal (ELD) 45
1 Tamiyo's Epiphany (WAR) 71
2 Commence the Endgame (WAR) 45
9 Island (ELD) 257
1 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin (WAR) 137
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
2 Mad Ratter (ELD) 130
1 Ilharg, the Raze-Boar (WAR) 133
1 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ELD) 147
4 Opt (ELD) 59
1 Embercleave (ELD) 120
2 Scampering Scorcher (M20) 158
1 Dwarven Mine (ELD) 243
1 Mystic Sanctuary (ELD) 247
2 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
2 Swiftwater Cliffs (M20) 252
1 Expansion // Explosion (GRN) 224
1 Niv-Mizzet, Parun (GRN) 192
1 The Royal Scions (ELD) 199
2 Crackling Drake (GRN) 163
1 Firemind's Research (GRN) 171
4 Improbable Alliance (ELD) 193
1 Gadwick, the Wizened (ELD) 48

It could probably be better optimised for the trick, but the idea is never play a 1-drop except MAYBE a t1 Faerie Miscreant, particularly if you mulliganed something really good to the bottom, then you will be very likely to draw a second card every round forever, which will get you infinite rats, infinite flying rats, swole Faerie Vandals, and eventually Niv-Mizzet bullshit.

Having no lifegain at all makes it very painfully vulnerable to rample and stuff like catfood which just chunks your life off without ever attacking, but without those things you've got chumps for daaaaaaayyyyys. I lost to damage on one occasion (hard counter is Revenge of Ravens, I should probably run some removal) with something like 20 1/1 faeries floating there doing nothing.

I'm wondering about Devouring Hellion...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

zoux posted:

I just played a guy and he had fires on 4 all three games, what are the odds of having a 4-of in your hand by turn 4?

either it happens or it doesn't, 50%