Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

children overboard posted:

Ah thank you friends. I couldn't tell from the interface that I could even build districts. This is one of the many things that, sure, does have an answer somewhere, but again it's just feels a bit too tedious that I'm not inspired to do all the homework and find all the answers to learn this really complex game again just so I can progress to the even slower and bloatier parts.

Tried the tutorial? It's been rewritten since the planet/pops update. I hear it's alright but don't quote me on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Please tell me where in the game I can look up what the low habitability penalty is. Because I sure dont see what it is when looking at one of my slaves that is on a 20% habitability planet.

Hover over the habitability number of a planet with less than 100%.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yami Fenrir posted:

Still nothing. I know low-hab pops take a productivity penalty because I saw it in a dev diary/in this thread. I see nothing in the game telling me that the pop is negatively affected in any way.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Still nothing. I know low-hab pops take a productivity penalty because I saw it in a dev diary/in this thread. I see nothing in the game telling me that the pop is negatively affected in any way.

Yami Fenrir posted:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Look at the first picture.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
iirc the planet screen habitability is for anyone in your empire permitted to colonize planets - your slaves don't get that option. that planet is 100% for someone in your empire. Find Another Planet

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Jesus Christ simple instructions.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Then we get a pic of hovering over the habitability of a planet at 100%, and another of hovering over a pop.

Find a planet. ANY loving PLANET IN THE GALAXY THATS UNDER 100%, EVEN UNDER FOG OF WAR. Bring it up, doesn't matter if its uninhabited. Mouse over its habitability, of the PLANET, WHICH IS UNDER 100%.

Consider me trolled.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It's here:

Not conveniently located, but present. It'd be nice if there was some Civlopedia-type entry on Planet Habitability which explained all the modifiers. I think those three are it, but there might be other modifiers I've forgotten.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

???

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

You guys got really loving salty over something that is so simple the devs dont need to provide details on it, guys. You proved my point really well, btw.

Yami Fenrir posted:

I dont own a planet with less than 100% habitability. My point is that I should not have to look at another planet or a habitability icon to see how an individual pop is affected by habitability. If I look at a pop that has low habitability it should tell me how THAT pop is affected, not some generic % as shown in:

This doesnt help me, at all, because that % will be applied differently to a pop on that same planet that has less than 80% habitability. Now remember, this is REALLY SIMPLE GUYS.

Serephina posted:

Jesus Christ simple instructions.

Then we get a pic of hovering over the habitability of a planet at 100%, and another of hovering over a pop.

Find a planet. ANY loving PLANET IN THE GALAXY THATS UNDER 100%, EVEN UNDER FOG OF WAR. Bring it up, doesn't matter if its uninhabited. Mouse over its habitability, of the PLANET, WHICH IS UNDER 100%.

Consider me trolled.
Again, my point is that I do not own a planet that is below 100% habitability, and even if I did, it would be 70% because I'm a loving rock. Now, if I did own a planet at 70% habitability, looking at the penalties for 70% does not tell me how badly a pop at 20% habitability is affected. Now, dont forget, THIS IS SIMPLE poo poo EVERYONE. STELLARIS IS SIMPLE.

Vavrek posted:

It's here:

Not conveniently located, but present. It'd be nice if there was some Civlopedia-type entry on Planet Habitability which explained all the modifiers. I think those three are it, but there might be other modifiers I've forgotten.
This actually helps, thank you so much! I didnt even know that those screens existed!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vavrek posted:

It'd be nice if there was some Civlopedia-type entry on Planet Habitability which explained all the modifiers. I think those three are it, but there might be other modifiers I've forgotten.

Well there is, it's called the wiki. It's even the first result if you google Stellaris habitability.
https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Colonization#Habitability

And then as you say the game breaks it all out for you pop by pop. You have to click into the menus to see it sure, but it's there. I don't understand why some people in this thread (not you OP) choose to be willfully ignorant of it, or seem offended at having to interact with the UI.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Well there is, it's called the wiki. It's even the first result if you google Stellaris habitability.
https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Colonization#Habitability

And then as you say the game breaks it all out for you pop by pop. You have to click into the menus to see it sure, but it's there. I don't understand why some people in this thread (not you OP) choose to be willfully ignorant of it, or seem offended at having to interact with the UI.
I hope I did not come across as not willing to interact with the UI here... I was trying to point out that some things are not as simple as others are saying they are. Now that Vavrek pointed out those pop summary menus I found exactly what I was looking for - how an individual pop is negatively affected by horrible habitability. If its there I'll use it, but I have to know its there, which is a whole other challenge for devs to tackle. I already knew that the penalties were steep, but when I had shuffled a few pops around to balance out some unrest I realized I had forgotten that the low habitability was a steeper penalty now, but could not find how bad the pops themselves were performing at that %.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: oops

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 17, 2019

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Contingency is so far much more fun than the other crises, seeing as the Prethoryn can be easily driven off and the Unbidden can be bottled.

With 4 distant spots and a berserk Fallen, this is gonna be way more fun.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The habitability counter at the top of the planet screen really becomes rather useless as soon as you have multiple species with different habitability ratings on said planet. I usually don't, but it's annoying when I do.

On a somewhat different note, I had an interesting start today.
Spawned as a devouring swarm with 3 systems directly adjacent to my home system.
First system I surveyed had a broken ringworld in it.
Second system was nothing special.
Third system had a normal inactive gateway.
My first neighbour is a determined exterminator called the Jonus Nexus, but they are currently being destroyed by the Prikkiki-Ti.
Since I don't have contact with the Prikkiki-Ti yet, any systems that they conquer seemingly just become unclaimed on the galaxy map. Looks very strange to see the darkness of space eating a determined exterminator. :ohdear:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm the Entheri Foundation up north. I was in a mutual defense pact with the Vrinn Free Administration but that ended after they invited me to war against the federation. We trounced the federation (even after both fallen empires declared war on me during it and I had to withdraw my fleets to annex them) but at the end we hit a snag. See I was getting really tired of having to storm planet after planet with my armies, waiting for a planet to fall before I just go around and kill more fleets. Especially since the AI managed to retain access to gateways even in systems I fully controlled, which meant I kept having fleets pop up at my back to take back planets. So it hit me: If I neutron sweep the planets with warp inhibitors then I don't have to send my army after them ever again.

Now my friends in the Vrinn didn't care for that. In fact they broke every pact they had with me. Now they've rivaled me and they're my sole rival because I can't rival the federation as a whole, or any of its individual parts. Since I have a colossus I have the ability to declare a total war. Is that similar to Fanatical Purifier mechanics, where as soon as I take it then it is mine?

Also, how drat long does it take the AI to create a colossus? I want to get the achievement for killing a colossus as it's preparing to fire, but none of the AIs I ever fight end up making one. I got a notice that my sole protectorate began researching the project but nothing from elsewhere.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TTBF posted:

Since I have a colossus I have the ability to declare a total war. Is that similar to Fanatical Purifier mechanics, where as soon as I take it then it is mine?

Yup

quote:

Also, how drat long does it take the AI to create a colossus? I want to get the achievement for killing a colossus as it's preparing to fire, but none of the AIs I ever fight end up making one. I got a notice that my sole protectorate began researching the project but nothing from elsewhere.

I have routinely see the AI complete the project and then never ever build one, not sure why. I have never seen any AI other than an Awakened Ascendancy run around with one. Even when they have one they are extremely reluctant to use them.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 17, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Again, my point is that I do not own a planet that is below 100% habitability, and even if I did, it would be 70% because I'm a loving rock. Now, if I did own a planet at 70% habitability, looking at the penalties for 70% does not tell me how badly a pop at 20% habitability is affected. Now, dont forget, THIS IS SIMPLE poo poo EVERYONE. STELLARIS IS SIMPLE.

The one with 20% hability is affected worse than the one with 70%. You don't need to know how much exactly. It's irrelevant. More hab % = better. Stellaris isn't and has never been a game where you need to know anything to the exact percentile.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DatonKallandor posted:

The one with 20% hability is affected worse than the one with 70%. You don't need to know how much exactly. It's irrelevant. More hab % = better. Stellaris isn't and has never been a game where you need to know anything to the exact percentile.
I disagree completely; I already know that more hab is better. I wanted to know exactly how badly I was shooting myself in the foot when a solid 1/3 of the pops in my entire empire were at 20% habitability. It makes a difference when you're playing on harder difficulties and you're in a total war with a fantastic purifier.

edit: keeping funny phone typo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

To add to the list of issues apparently related to the new launcher, has anyone noticed insane launch times for the game since the latest patch? Like it takes a solid 2 minutes from pressing Play and the title splash appearing, to the game actually beginning to load (with the appearance of the progress bar and music starting). After that the game loads normally, but there's this long period where it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

e: I should add that I have friends with non-crazy PCs who can load the entire game in the 'pre-load' phase I have and they don't. :iiam:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 17, 2019

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

It is much much slower to load now, yes.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!
Yep I noticed that too. Not just you.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

To add to the list of issues apparently related to the new launcher, has anyone noticed insane launch times for the game since the latest patch? Like it takes a solid 2 minutes from pressing Play and the title splash appearing, to the game actually beginning to load (with the appearance of the progress bar and music starting). After that the game loads normally, but there's this long period where it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

e: I should add that I have friends with non-crazy PCs who can load the entire game in the 'pre-load' phase I have and they don't. :iiam:

binge crotching posted:

It is much much slower to load now, yes.

Entorwellian posted:

Yep I noticed that too. Not just you.

Funny. I always had insane-rear end long load times for ages, but because no-one talked about it I assumed it was just normal. Looks like the devs made sure I'm not suffering alone anymore. :shepface:

Also, if I close the game and later launch it again without switching off my PC, the game suddenly loads super-fast. What is up with that?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

edit: keeping funny phone typo
definitely naming my next empire the Fantastic Purifiers

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

definitely naming my next empire the Fantastic Purifiers

more fabulous badbois please

my next empire will have devouring swank

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1196028182673133568?s=19

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the only Q&A I want to see is PDX saying they'll fix performance and bugs so I can enjoy the drat game I paid for

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
I just tried to load 2.5.1 for the first time in a couple patches, and it crashes every single time. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, mods/no mods, it still crashes *every time*.

EDIT: Fixed with -opengl flag for some reason.

standard.deviant fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 17, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

standard.deviant posted:

I just tried to load 2.5.1 for the first time in a couple patches, and it crashes every single time. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, mods/no mods, it still crashes *every time*.

EDIT: Fixed with -opengl flag for some reason.

Are you on a laptop with intrgrated graphics and a card? That sounds like the kind of weirdness I get when something that needs the external card isn’t forced.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

hobbesmaster posted:

Are you on a laptop with intrgrated graphics and a card? That sounds like the kind of weirdness I get when something that needs the external card isn’t forced.
I’m on an MSI gaming laptop with a GTX 1070. I assume i7s have some sort of integrated graphics, but I haven’t had any problem playing the last several patches (2.1-2.3) on this laptop.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If you play without mods the game works just fine :shrug:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
How can I play without mods when this exists: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1910699722

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

PittTheElder posted:

Yup

I have routinely see the AI complete the project and then never ever build one, not sure why. I have never seen any AI other than an Awakened Ascendancy run around with one. Even when they have one they are extremely reluctant to use them.

I spam anyone who completes the project with enough resources to build one. If you've built one they seem likelier to do so as well. If you've started cracking planets open like walnuts that also seems to help.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I had that basic idea but I went through a bit too much effort and got the achievement in the most anti-climactic way possible. I gave my vassal space to extend outside its first system, making sure to surround the space with heavy fortresses to discourage them from attacking - except for one with a few habitable planets and a warp gate. My hope here was that with more space for outposts, they might decide to actually build a colossus foundry. After giving them five systems, they finally did.

I had my fleets stationed near the fortresses to further dissuade them from going in any direction but towards that inhabited system. As soon as the colossus began firing the beam to shield the planet, all my fleets would go through warp gates, engage their heavily outnumbered fleet, and then kill the colossus. The very first thing the AI did was to throw their fleets at my fortresses. This actually worked well for them because it meant my fleets were too busy to use the warp gates. I could take their entire fleet with my entire fleet, but not one of my smaller portions. Since I didn't know how hardy a colossus was, I threw my entire fleet at the enemy right then and there to make sure I'd have enough firepower when the time came. During that time, the colossus was easily able to get to the first planet in the system and began the process to fire. And as the beam began forming the shield that enveloped the planet, my fleets entered the system - just in time to see a missile smack into the colossus, killing it.

The very basic outpost put into a system to claim it had engaged and destroyed a colossus by itself. That is how I obtained the achievement.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 19, 2019

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Yes it's thissss. I want to like this game but jumping back in after a few patches it's just... tedious. I learned the old version (pre 2.0) and it was okay at the start but then it got really bloaty and micro-managey and then the slowdown hit so I waited for a bit.

And so I tried the latest patch but in the first hour or so of playing I'm having to alt-tab out a bunch to find out what piracy is, what crime is, what overpopulation is, how job types work, why people are unemployed, why my starbases aren't eating into my starbase capacity count, and a bunch of other things. And every search is extra annoying because I have to double check that the answer is still current.

Like, just as an example: Housing. I assume I'm not understanding something here, because at first glance it looks like on new colonies you need to wait until five population to build your first building, but then you have so many people that first building better be housing. I'm probably missing something and the system isn't actually mean to be that dumb, but after googling the problem, seeing other people asking the same question, and seeing the answers involving things that don't involve my species' traits, or that sound extremely annoying and tedious... my eyes glaze over and I can't be bothered.

I'm at three planets and the amount of stuff I have to read and the amount of micromanagement involved isn't commensurate with how fun the game is. And it is moderately fun, but I don't have time for all that, especially knowing I haven't even gotten to the mid-game slog yet, or the late-game framerate chug.

I've found that Machine Empires simplify things a lot (as they should). They are also stronger than most empires (Its late but there could be a big "implicit story" rant of either removing organic limits for a perfect warfighting empire vs doom or rejecting armed conflict, and how this is "good" because of that).

This leads to a weird problem were most of my militarism in old 4x games was based on bad AIs being really aggressive. In stellaris i turn into this huge blob armed to the teeth and just stare at my neighbors with a creepy smile and a big sign that says "TRY SOMETHING BUDDY". They never do. (by the time they all ally they have become pacifists, because in stellaris peace doesn't make races complacent and forget how war is terrible and encourage militarism)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Armadillo Tank posted:

I've found that Machine Empires simplify things a lot (as they should). They are also stronger than most empires (Its late but there could be a big "implicit story" rant of either removing organic limits for a perfect warfighting empire vs doom or rejecting armed conflict, and how this is "good" because of that).

This leads to a weird problem were most of my militarism in old 4x games was based on bad AIs being really aggressive. In stellaris i turn into this huge blob armed to the teeth and just stare at my neighbors with a creepy smile and a big sign that says "TRY SOMETHING BUDDY". They never do. (by the time they all ally they have become pacifists, because in stellaris peace doesn't make races complacent and forget how war is terrible and encourage militarism)

Hoo boy. Machine empires. I've spent a lot of time with them and... holy poo poo.

A certain relic is waaaay too good for them. I've gotten to the point where i managed to have a ringworld fully repaired in 2290, having completely run away with tech to a downright stupid degree.

They're so overpowered that even AI machine empires manage to keep up with the player a lot of the time.

Also, i agree - empires kind of are too passive. One thing I've found to help is to not build a fleet and hide behind bastions. It seems the AI doesnt properly take them into account.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PittTheElder posted:

Last time i looked the AI had a big long checklist of stuff that's needed before they will build a megastructure, including a bunch of system requirements like "must not be adjacent to another empire" and "must have a citadel" (or maybe a star fortress I forget). So they can end up having the needed tech and needed resources but not the needed circumstances, and they're not great at planning ahead to create those circumstances. There may be something similar with colossus yards. I won't be at my PC to check for a while though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is there a live Ck2 thread anywhere? Forum search is trash and google just comes up with archived threads.

Why do I need it? Because I decided to try Ck2 out for free after being burned by retail Stellaris, and lo and behold my game has 2 different almost-showstopping bugs that are both ancient and well documented, but individual threads that google finds are usually very old and have no workarounds. Ck2 is like all the good parts of Stellaris enhanced, but plagued by the Paradox bullshit. It's interesting!

edit: chur, bro!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 19, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Serephina posted:

Is there a live Ck2 thread anywhere?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874093

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Ah thank you friends. I couldn't tell from the interface that I could even build districts. This is one of the many things that, sure, does have an answer somewhere, but again it's just feels a bit too tedious that I'm not inspired to do all the homework and find all the answers to learn this really complex game again just so I can progress to the even slower and bloatier parts.

I mean, you could play the tutorial :)