Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

jesus christ that's $2000 USD

with no discrete gfx only intel hd garbo

and a 4c mediocre cpu

what, are they unaware that they have competition that's actually good at that price point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mild lol at a disc drive, i just realized the last time i used one was to install windows 7 when it was new

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The last time I used a disc drive was when I went skydiving and they burned the video onto a DVD. I asked if they could just upload it to Google drive but they said that was against policy. I had to open up my computer and plug the disc drive back in because I had stolen its cables for an extra ssd

They also wouldn't give me the raw video, only their edited version with a soundtrack and watermark, because they said that somehow it would be a legal liability for me to have the source file

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Agile Vector posted:

mild lol at a disc drive, i just realized the last time i used one was to install windows 7 when it was new

lmao I had a request to put something up on works youtube channel yesterday sure put the file on a share drive and I'll pick it up

I only have it on DVD

pff OK send the disc in the internal post and I will copy it off

Disc arrives, go to press dvd button on computer front - where is it? Look in My Devices ah this PC does not have a dvd drive :o:

Borrowing a USB DVD on Monday

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

drat it’s like straight from 2008

i was amazed to discover they still existed, and even more so to discover they've been making the same laptop for a decade and a half

Sniep posted:

jesus christ that's $2000 USD

with no discrete gfx only intel hd garbo

and a 4c mediocre cpu

what, are they unaware that they have competition that's actually good at that price point?

toshiba had always always been terrible. i have no idea how this thing even exists as a brand in tyool 2019, but i'm guessing it has something to do with government contracts

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

does anyone maintain an in house mac support team tho? even the places i know of with an entire department on macs (creatives, natch) just contract support out to a local applecare certified retailer

no one wants to pay to maintain applecare certs just to be able to repair poo poo in house

my last two jobs have both had "mac support teams" but what that really means is a dedicated set of staffers who make and keep appointments at the apple store, and dispense loaners

they don't do any more "support" than the regular support group, they just handle all the apple-specific insanities in managing warranties

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the first time i met a guy whose job it was to keep applecare appointments for macbooks i was seated next to him at a client site and it turned out his salary was about 2x mine

i found that pretty humiliating

but, i didn't have to spend all day every day handing out loaners and driving to the apple store, so, tradeoffs

this was still in the ppc era, too, so the client was pretty loving stupid for having an army of software developers using lovely g4 macs, in order to write java gui software for windows client PCs

write once, debug everywhere

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
iOS Version Whatever should introduce the ability to have the user require PIN or Finger scanning to open a given app.

This is not something that should be left to devs to implement app-by-app if they feel like it. Controlling access to programs and files via writing ACLs (which this is the iOS equivalent to) is a core OS function and users should be empowered to do so.

:colbert:

E: also FaceID should be ripped out root-and-branch and replaced with the comparatively less-poo poo TouchID on all future products.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 16, 2019

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

iOS Version Whatever should introduce the ability to have the user require PIN or Finger scanning to open a given app.

lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah, what? that’s the weirdest “can’t believe Apple hasn’t done THaT yet :rolleyes:” I’ve heard ina while

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

This is not something that should be left to devs to implement app-by-app if they feel like it. Controlling access to programs and files via writing ACLs (which this is the iOS equivalent to) is a core OS function and users should be empowered to do so.

:colbert:

E: also FaceID should be ripped out root-and-branch and replaced with the comparatively less-poo poo TouchID on all future products.

this was added in ios 12 or 13

the app and the user both have to opt in, but you can control app access and apps can flush memory if need-be

any app that gives a flying gently caress about user security opts in, soooo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Mac is Wack

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Schadenboner posted:

lol what?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
face id sucks rear end compared to touch id

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Is this a Bret Victor quote?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
current ios13.2.2 on my 6s status: burning through half the battery and turning into a handwarmer if i have the goddamn audacity to listen to the music app for as long as it takes before crashing (ten minutes)

i restored from an itunes backup and it still does it, so, uh, i'm out of ideas.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

this website is atrocious, at least on a phone

ah yes, let's replace "scrolling down" with a lovely animation of a laptop opening

indeed, what a stupid idea, wonder how they came up with it? https://www.apple.com/se/macbook-pro-16/

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Schadenboner posted:

What a terrible opinion. You should get that looked at before it spreads. FaceID is a delight and it is great that my phone can validate me much more often because I don’t have to actively do anything to make it happen.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

imagine how much it flexes if you pick it up by a front corner of the base while it’s open

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The only thing I don't like about faceID is that it could be a little more verbose about the status of scanning your face

It is really nice to have the iphone unlock without having to do anything special. They should still bring back touchID as an option, just make it part of the rear camera tumor. And add another physical home button to the side of the phone because it loving sucks to have 100 different types of swipe interfering with apps and games.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this was added in ios 12 or 13

the app and the user both have to opt in, but you can control app access and apps can flush memory if need-be

any app that gives a flying gently caress about user security opts in, soooo

It shouldn't be up to the developer. As few things as possible should ever be left to developers to decide, they're uniformly terrible people with bad decision-making skills (else they wouldn't be Computer Touching as their careers).

E: The proximate cause here is Microsoft's Authenticator can be made to require unlock but Google's can't. But it's also that, of the four apps in my taskbar, three can be made to lock but the only one of those four made by Apple (Messages) can't.

E2: And until the issue of the 4th Amendment and biometric unlocks is determined by SCOTUS you shouldn't allow TouchID to unlock the phone (and you should never allow FaceID to be anywhere near your phone ever, although not for jurisprudential reasons, it's just loving poo poo).

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 16, 2019

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Kins posted:

current ios13.2.2 on my 6s status: burning through half the battery and turning into a handwarmer if i have the goddamn audacity to listen to the music app for as long as it takes before crashing (ten minutes)

i restored from an itunes backup and it still does it, so, uh, i'm out of ideas.

never upgrade old phones to new ios cause it just triggers their self destruction

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Schadenboner posted:

It shouldn't be up to the developer. As few things as possible should ever be left to developers to decide, they're uniformly terrible people with bad decision-making skills (else they wouldn't be Computer Touching as their careers).

E: The proximate cause here is Microsoft's Authenticator can be made to require unlock but Google's can't. But it's also that, of the four apps in my taskbar, three can be made to lock but the only one of those four made by Apple (Messages) can't.

E2: And until the issue of the 4th Amendment and biometric unlocks is determined by SCOTUS you shouldn't allow TouchID to unlock the phone (and you should never allow FaceID to be anywhere near your phone ever, although not for jurisprudential reasons, it's just loving poo poo).

why would you want to lock messages on a phone that already has a lock at the home screen? if you don’t want people reading your messages, dont give them your phone.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I feel like the missing context here is that Grindr locks "require PIN to unlock app" behind a $20/month subscription and op doesn't want to cough up that sort of dough

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I have a six digit pin and don’t tell people what it is and I feel like I have plenty of privacy on my phone

works for me/won’t fix

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
It’s great that Apple locks features like autofill behind FaceID on devices that have it. Before, it would autofill automatically, and it was great. With FaceID it would check your ID automatically and then autofill. That was very great. Now it asks you for account in addition to FaceID, and also asks for TouchID on autofill if you have that. On devices without either, it doesn’t ask at all or only asks for account without validation.

The automatic behavior with ID check is really great for common things. For things where I should give explicit consent (transfer money or whatever) TouchID is just as good as FaceID + confirm button.

The automatic behavior should be much more common (optionally behind a switch), to confirm sending messages/mails, maybe for responding to calls, setting/removing alarms, ordering a metric ton of dildos. Texting exes after midnight should have an inverse FaceID check.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sloppy drunk mode, where it locks down most of the messaging/calling features if you look hosed up

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
what happened to 13.2.1

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Lysidas posted:

what happened to 13.2.1

it was bad, so they tried again

E: but really, it was only to fix the bricking homepod issues, so if you, like most of the world, don't have one, you didn't see it https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidp...to-fix-homepod/

klafbang fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 16, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

email is working on 13.2, so i will not be updating

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lysidas posted:

what happened to 13.2.1

released for HomePod only, since the previous version was causing some devices to fail to update.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my last two jobs have both had "mac support teams" but what that really means is a dedicated set of staffers who make and keep appointments at the apple store, and dispense loaners

they don't do any more "support" than the regular support group, they just handle all the apple-specific insanities in managing warranties

AppleCare does an absolutely terrible job of letting people know what services they offer.

FUN FACT if you have any desktop Mac, and you have an active AppleCare plan, you can ask for an onsite repair and they'll dispatch a tech to do the repair for you.
Got AppleCare+ on your phone and don't want to deal with the Genius Bar? Request an Express Service Replacement and they'll just overnight you a new device at no extra charge, and you just send the old one back when you get it.

They will build you whatever wacky plans you want once you reach a certain threshold (I think like 200 units?). Want a 2-hour turnaround time? sure, knock yourself out. Buy a gold plan for like $10k/year and you get a stack of support incidents and a technical account manager who can get you answers beyond 'known issue', and will get the wireless team to fix a weird bug between iPhones and your specific model of Cisco AP.

Got over 1k Apple serial numbers at your company? Cool, now you can just get direct access to the backend, and as long as your credit isn't trash they'll let you keep a seed stock of units, so when someone breaks an iPad an IT person can just give them a new one and it all gets charged to the company. This is also the point where you can order warranties without labor coverage to save money, because your internal computer janitors are the ones fixing things.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

email is working on 13.2, so i will not be updating

far as I can tell, it'll never work in 13.anything ever again

like how loving hard is this, Apple?
see notifications for email
unlock phone and go to mail.app
oh, there nothing new here, my mistake
oh wait after 10 seconds the inbox actually updates

like jfc iOS 13 is a shitshow. not to mention the aforementioned share sheet bullshit which has now completely broken twitter.app. idk who to blame for that one.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 16, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

far as I can tell, it'll never work in 13.anything ever again

like how loving hard is this, Apple?
see notifications for email
unlock phone and go to mail.app
oh, there nothing new here, my mistake
oh wait after 10 seconds the inbox actually updates

like jfc iOS 13 is a shitshow. not to mention the aforementioned share sheet bullshit which has now completely broken twitter.app. idk who to blame for that one.

oh yeah, by "working" i mean messages actually do show up in the inbox after that delay, and i don't have to preform every delete/move twice to get it to actually happen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jimmy Carter posted:

AppleCare does an absolutely terrible job of letting people know what services they offer.

FUN FACT if you have any desktop Mac, and you have an active AppleCare plan, you can ask for an onsite repair and they'll dispatch a tech to do the repair for you.
Got AppleCare+ on your phone and don't want to deal with the Genius Bar? Request an Express Service Replacement and they'll just overnight you a new device at no extra charge, and you just send the old one back when you get it.

They will build you whatever wacky plans you want once you reach a certain threshold (I think like 200 units?). Want a 2-hour turnaround time? sure, knock yourself out. Buy a gold plan for like $10k/year and you get a stack of support incidents and a technical account manager who can get you answers beyond 'known issue', and will get the wireless team to fix a weird bug between iPhones and your specific model of Cisco AP.

Got over 1k Apple serial numbers at your company? Cool, now you can just get direct access to the backend, and as long as your credit isn't trash they'll let you keep a seed stock of units, so when someone breaks an iPad an IT person can just give them a new one and it all gets charged to the company. This is also the point where you can order warranties without labor coverage to save money, because your internal computer janitors are the ones fixing things.

this is incredible, because there's not only no indication that this exists, but i've never heard anyone mention it before, including mac only shops that really should be on it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Twitter not working seems like a good thing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I ask a friend for her brother's email address. she sends it to me. I go to that email and long press on his address, select Copy Email. start a new email and paste the address into the To: field.

it shows up as a url "mailto:thatdude@mailthingy.we"

that is now a single object that can't be edited to remove the "mailto:" bit. if I try to select any part of it, it just grabs the whole thing.

nicely done.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i had something similar trying to copy a link out of a note to paste into imessage

i could copy the entire note, or i could open the link (which would then redirect in a dumb way because mobile, so i couldn't copy it back out of the address bar), i could not under any circumstances just copy the link. if the link is the only text in the note you just straight up can't copy it.

how they managed to gently caress up copy and baste, a feature that's worked since ios 3, is beyond me

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The “select” text context menu seems to have gotten substantially harder to summon.

But it could just be that I’m old as gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Schadenboner posted:

The “select” text context menu seems to have gotten substantially harder to summon.

But it could just be that I’m old as gently caress?

and moving an icon now is nearly impossible, just has a bunch of poo poo menus that want to come up