Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What's this all about?

The Feeble Files is a point 'n' click adventure game that follows the adventures of an alien called Feeble. It was released in 1997 and developed by Adventure Soft, who also created the Simon The Sorcerer series, so expect a lot of British humour and voice talent.

This is another game from my youth that I have fond memories of. I've only ever completed it once as there's a part of a game that is complete bullshit. It was so notorious the developer's uploaded a save game so people could bypass the section in question. Apparently some people found other methods to cheat the system. We will get there in due time.

LP details

My plan is to upload one video each and every weekend. If you need to talk spoilers please use the appropriate tags.

Let's Play: The Feeble Files

Bonus Video: Omnipedia A-Z

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Never heard of this one, but promising introduction; I'm in. And already enjoying the Britishness. If nobody gets called a smeghead I shall be very disappointed.

how many lps do you do holy poo poo

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nice to see. The later Simons really lost me but I hope to follow this one.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Black Robe posted:

Never heard of this one, but promising introduction; I'm in. And already enjoying the Britishness. If nobody gets called a smeghead I shall be very disappointed.

how many lps do you do holy poo poo

marshmallow creep posted:

Nice to see. The later Simons really lost me but I hope to follow this one.

For the most part, this is a really lovely game with a unique bunch of characters and settings. It does suffer a little with a couple of annoying puzzles which I will get to them in time, I will discuss them when we get there and try to make the process as painless as possible.

As for the amount of LP's, the later Simon games are the reason why I decided to do concurrent LP's. I always wanted to finish the Simon series, 3D felt good to do as a standalone LP in its own right but the fourth and fifth games didn't. The third game has a lot of flaws but is still fun to play, the fourth game is dull and the fifth game is marginally better. So I decided to focus on doing an LP of something that I knew I could have fun with while spending a couple of hours on a weekend working on a new Simon video.

This game is fun and pretty linear so it's going to be straightforward. The X-Files seems like it's going to be fun to be the same way. I don't believe that the workload will be too much and if one or the other starts to suffer I will make some changes. I'm not planning on doing anything more heavy-duty until the new year.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
what the gently caress is that? what the gently caress is that is that a loving cat? ay, don’t fuckin look at me like that, thats a weird lookin fuckin cat! MA! THERES A WEIRD FUCKIN STRAY CAT OUTSIDE IT LOOKS.. IT LOOKS LIKE GRANDMA THE FUCKIN THING

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I remember seeing a trailer for this game on a Demo disc a very long time ago, they made the interesting choice of having no dialogue and no indication of what the game was actually supposed to be about. I actually dug that disc out from my plastic CD holder only to discover that it won't work on modern OS's with even the video files being seemingly hardcoded for windows 95.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tombot posted:

I remember seeing a trailer for this game on a Demo disc a very long time ago, they made the interesting choice of having no dialogue and no indication of what the game was actually supposed to be about. I actually dug that disc out from my plastic CD holder only to discover that it won't work on modern OS's with even the video files being seemingly hardcoded for windows 95.

Is this it? There's another one without a watermark but it looks like a poor quality VHS RIP:

https://youtu.be/E5CbtEzwQ90

They make it out to look like an action adventure game. In reality it's mostly just a mild mannered chump who walks around and talks to people while solving a few puzzles.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That certainly looks like the one. Although mine was in english.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Very interesting. I always wanted to give this one a go, but back in the day it was, supposedly, near impossible to get to work, in addition to the BS you mentioned in the OP.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This episode is a little varied, also I found out that there are subtitles in this version of the game. Feeble acquires a new nickname, explores a new area, engages in an unnecessarily long cutscene and gets spoken at by several new people.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...I'm going to have to google the VA credits already, pretty much every character is making me think 'aargh I know that voice who are they'.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Black Robe posted:

...I'm going to have to google the VA credits already, pretty much every character is making me think 'aargh I know that voice who are they'.

There are a few famous names involved in this who have done a hell of a lot of work over the years. There are two that stand out the most for me though. Feeble is voiced by Robert Llewellyn, who is probably best known as Kryten in Red Dwarf. We've heard the Oracle who is voiced by Peter Tuddenham, who was the voice of Orac in Blake's Seven amongst other numerous roles.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I thought you were with the crop circle division, not uhhhh vivisection

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, things get dark very quickly as we finish off this chapter of the game. I forgot about a couple of incidents that happened in this section of the game and they really took me by surprise. There's a lot of behind the scenes stuff happening at the moment that Feeble has no idea about, even we have no idea just what is going on right now.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, that certainly took a turn. Though a largely directive-sanctioned turn.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Feeble you kinda suck, what the gently caress.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

Feeble you kinda suck, what the gently caress.

Right on.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:allears: This game is amazing. What a glorious hellscape Feeble lives in that he feels nothing about getting two people murdered by the government, but breaks down over kicking a piece of their property. That's how deep the societal brainwashing is.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Ah, I see we're going for the unsympathetic hapless protagonist this time.

Still, it's nice to have some actual voice acting in a game from this era. I dimly remember some adverts for it when it came out, but nothing further.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The next part of the game is going to be even more grim, something to look forward too.

I really can't disagree with the comments about Feeble. He is a bit of a weird one for a protagonist, you can tell that there's going to be more too it all with the cloak and dagger stuff going on in the background. He's happy to skirt the law and he seems fine with public executions, but loses his poo poo when he kicks a vending machine.

I probably should have checked out the other locations before I started the next chapter. We will see them soon enough.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It feels more like some jokes that ended up falling flat coupled with Adventure Game Logic.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think the idea is that he could have been seen kicking the vending machine and thus punished for damaging it, whereas he got away with the arguably much worse things, and he's supposed to be motivated by fear of the Omni-Brain's agents? But you need a darker, grimmer setting for that, you can't really impose 1984 on a humourous point and click.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm pretty certain that Feeble didn't intend to get those people killed. But it was the result of his own selfish actions and he still walked away from them like nothing happened. Perhaps he justified it by telling himself that he was being a good citizen, even though he drugged someone and changed a directive without the recipient even having a chance to know about it.

He didn't get away with what happened with the probe at the start of the game, which was what ultimately sent him down.

This game is a lot darker than what I remembered. The next video is going to centre around the personality restructuring which probably won't be a barrel of laughs either.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
What gets me about Feeble's actions is that it isn't even the guy you drug that gets killed, it's his girlfriend. Talk about collateral damage.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Feeble faces his punishment in Cygnus Alpha. Welcome to one of the most annoying parts of the game, I tried to explain why it is so during the recording but there wasn't a whole lot of time to stand around and talk. I hope that you can understand what I was banging on about when you see for yourself. I was not looking forward to this part of the game, I'm not sure if there's a smoother way to get it done, but it's done.

Thesaya posted:

What gets me about Feeble's actions is that it isn't even the guy you drug that gets killed, it's his girlfriend. Talk about collateral damage.

And it was all done just so Feeble could change his jacket!

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 8, 2019

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Is this the part that the Developers supplied a code to bypass, or is there an even worse part up ahead?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

oh yeah, lotsa saved-loading was had here

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tombot posted:

Is this the part that the Developers supplied a code to bypass, or is there an even worse part up ahead?

Oh no, we still have that part to look forward too. I'll let you all know when it happens as it won't be for a while yet. But don't worry, there's going to be a couple more frustrating puzzles to deal with before we get there.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

bad place for a [sic] my dudes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Not keen on the shrill sound effect (and bullshit start-over RNG), but boy, this is an experience. :allears:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I'm definitely glad to be watching this and not playing it. There were some horrid game design decisions there, from the, "You're stuck on this screen until an arbitrary time limit expires" ride in the prison transport to the time-loop stuff, to the warden detecting you more-or-less at random.

I was also waiting for there to actually be a joke in the first scene, but it was pretty much just a torture scene played straight. Following on from, "Wreck a relationship and get someone killed so you can use the phone booth", this game's sense of humour is kinda... bleak?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The joke was presumably ‘we literally lifted this scene from 1984, but replace Big Brother with The Omnibrain’ but it’s so completely deadpan I wasn’t sure for a while if they were parodying or trying to pass it off as original.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah this was way darker than I remember. Then again I remember these cutscenes not really working on my game so :v:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
The laggy subtitles and them not even existing in cutscenes doesn't really help with understanding what the hell is going on.
I feel like your cuts made this section seem way less infuriating than it is, but I am also very glad you didn't keep the tedium in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I remember trying this game years ago. And why I didn't bother continuing playing it years ago.

I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes though :shepface:.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, I was doing a lot of this: :bang: This is the final part of the second chapter and things should be more interesting now that Feeble has made some steps to break his programming.

This video features another extremely annoying puzzle. There's only one clue to it solve it and it's not in an obvious place, it's also only half a clue. Failure means another restart, so trying to work out the second mechanic of the puzzle is a tedious chore. Once you have figured it out you still have to work out which path to take in order to solve it. It is not fun! Even with a guide, it is frustrating as missteps are easy to make. I abandoned a recording which went over forty-five-minutes as frustration bore more mistakes and it got the better of me.

But it is done, I have vented my frustrations and now it's time to focus on the next chapter of the game. The next video will feature a very involving puzzle that is randomised and can only be completed through trial and error. I can't wait!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
And then the camera pans over to reveal more puzzle. Its like they're running off a checklist on how not to design an adventure game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
YEEEAAAAARRRGHHH!! :supaburn:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, we get our bearings and discover our new surroundings. We get to meet some lovely new people and scare the ever-loving poo poo out of them, we recruit a new companion and we get to have a reunion with a relative. I mentioned in the last update that there was a very involving puzzle upcoming (the chemistry set), I'm holding off on that until the next episode as I didn't think my brain can cope with it this morning (positive real-life stuff keeping me up late). I cut out several minutes of a slightly involved puzzle in this episode for reasons that will become obvious when you see it.

I was planning to start a new LP this weekend but the real-life stuff has delayed it slightly. I'll be starting an LP of Full Throttle: Remastered within the next couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I cannot put into words what a letdown it was for the game to give you a robot with lasers and missiles and poo poo and then continue pestering you with silly puzzles.