Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

It's a rough job, but someone had to do it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Weird that Penders made Charmy a prince, the Fleetway comics did the same thing. They didn't kill off his friend with an LSD hotdog though.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
From the article, when Penders tried to make a Mario parody:

That top right panel is premiere av material for someone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Been following her Sonic read-through Tumblr for a while and yeah, there's a lot of how Penders sucks that just doesn't often get talked about.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
So what's ~the consensus~ on Sonic Battle? I'm curious because I played it when it came out and really loved it, but I'm scared to touch it again because I have this sinking feeling it won't hold up well. I do remember it being a pretty spammy/run around and kite the enemy until you get your special charged sorta game. Also being really loving long for what it was.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's not the slightest bit balanced as a fighting game, if that's what you're asking.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It was kinda fun making the fighting robot of your dreams, but yeah, it was super long and doesn't hold up well as an actual, proper fighting game, it plays more like a sidescrolling beat-em-up.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
No, I'm just asking if it's fun to go through the missions and punch dudes and make *bwoosh* *boom* noises with my mouth as Emerl and Sonic and Shadow and Knuckles beat up their friends and enemies. (I'm asking if it's a dumb fun game or a dumb slog tedious game)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Playing as the regular characters was fun enough, having to put hours of work into the story mode character in order for it to be able to kill anyone or dodge anything sucked (unless you got lucky and the game gave you a super-rare move drop which let you bulldoze everything).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah if you want to play the story mode literally just cheat infinite skill points for Emerl because otherwise the game makes you loving grind your rear end off for them, because they needed padding for some reason??? You'd think a fully featured multiplayer mode would provide the game the longevity it needs.

I really wish the game would just have a normal EXP curve because the concept is very fun in theory.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Mrs. Cybershell, is this you?

I miss cybershell

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how there's no direct comments on the art, because that poo poo is pretty drat self-explanatory.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Webbeh posted:

Mrs. Cybershell, is this you?

I miss cybershell

Me too. I was hoping for more videos on the insanity of the Sonic comics.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cybershell's patreon still makes 13 bucks a month.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MJeff posted:

Cybershell's patreon still makes 13 bucks a month.

I wonder why he disappeared. His videos were getting a ton of hits and he’d probably be making a ton of money on Patreon if he didn’t stop.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He would have got tons of revenue from the movie shitstorm alone.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wonder why he disappeared. His videos were getting a ton of hits and he’d probably be making a ton of money on Patreon if he didn’t stop.
Could be a number of things. Pressure to keep making content. Real life stuff. Possibly even a mild breakdown due to the stress of exploding in popularity for half a year.

I feel like a career or “busy with life” thing would have gotten a post on Patreon, so it’s probably something he’d rather not discuss :ohdear:

Or maybe he didn’t actually want to forever tie himself to a blue rodent.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

Or maybe he didn’t actually want to forever tie himself to a blue rodent.

this one definitely isn't true

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Evil Eagle posted:

this one definitely isn't true

your av is cool, what is it from?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

It’s a boss from Link’s Awakening, I believe.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

The Link's Awakening remake artbook.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/hiddenpalace/

They found Sonic 3 Beta Version

E: The Drop Dash was a cut Sonic 3 feature

Dehry fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 16, 2019

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SeANMcBAY posted:

I mean, I don't wanna speculate too much but at a certain point, if you're struggling to make content after you promised you wouldn't take the money and run, it can be a quicksand type thing where it just makes you feel worse and worse.

I don't think he just took the money and ran, anyway, he seemed to have a pretty detailed plan.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The prototype has the soundtrack from the PC version of Sonic 3.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Dehry posted:

The prototype has the soundtrack from the PC version of Sonic 3.

Interesting, so they weren’t replacement tracks, they were the originals before MJ and Co got in on it.

Can’t wait to hear the genesis versions of em.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

man nurse posted:

Interesting, so they weren’t replacement tracks, they were the originals before MJ and Co got in on it.

Can’t wait to hear the genesis versions of em.

That’s mindblowing to me. I wonder if people will take another look at the “pc” tracks now.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a prototype labeled November 20 that's identical to the final game. This is dated the 3rd.

Talk about crunch.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqycX5HCxQ7YEB4mjowel8PBU2hxgdd7n

Music playlist

Dehry fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 17, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
sazpaimon now thats a name i havent read in over a decade holy poo poo

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Was real pleased to hear the FM versions of those Sonic & Knuckle Collection tracks.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24vTB9t8KYc

*hyperventilating* what the gently caress is this

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdUjdmgiGVs

this one slaps pretty loving hard tbh

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Cybershell showed up in the Twitch chat of this prototype unveiling.

E: no it was a fake. :(

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
drat so it was just a coincidence, wow

https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/1195869039454633985?s=20

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apparently Sonic 3 was conceived as an isometric game, and the game as we know it only came about because the necessary chip got delayed past the latest possible release date given marketing tie-ins and stuff.

https://hiddenpalace.org/News/Sonic_Month_Part_5_-_Before_Hard_Times_-_Sonic_3_(MD)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

F. Lobot posted:

Cybershell showed up in the Twitch chat of this prototype unveiling.

E: no it was a fake. :(

NOOOOOO IT WAS A DUD

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
So wait; the versus mode footage clearly shows the down scaled versions of Sonic and Knuckles' final sprites. Why would those be used unless they were finished and then shrunk down?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The 2P sprites are missing lots of frames and poses, so maybe the 1P sprite sheet wasn't done yet. Or, at that point, maybe getting them into that build wasn't a priority.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Cybershell often joked about his life after the sonic crap and him being an old man who treated sonic like an old flame of his or something and he seemed really bitter about dedicating his life to a blue mascot from the 90's made just to sell the mega drives very intense and powerful speed and I can see why. I feel bad for saying it. But I legitimately believe Cyber experienced an emotional breakdown or similar and decided to leave as a result....gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Evil Eagle posted:

The Link's Awakening remake artbook.

cool