Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

totalnewbie posted:

My ECU disconnected momentarily overnight even though my car started up no problems. (Clock was reset, some OBD lights were on but went away after a few seconds driving, that sort of thing). Any thoughts?

STR posted:

I've had batteries last anywhere from 5 minutes to 9 years after purchase. Don't trust it just because it's <6 months old.

The one in my car is about the same age, and it struggled to start my car this morning (~28F) after sitting 2 days. Dash clock and trip odometer got reset, though OBD flags didn't.

Just acquired an '04 CR-V that's cranking slow. Battery says January '19. Looks clean. Still getting it tested.

If yours tests robust, it could be the starter...but I don't see how that would sink the voltage low & long enough to cause your symptoms.

(edit) ugh, new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

With snow falling into the car and getting tracked in by boots, should I worry about any sort of damp rid type product?

E: my car will sit for days without being run as I bike most everywhere

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 14, 2019

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Found a mouse nest the size of a cantaloupe on top of my cabin air filter in my 2017 WRX yesterday while doing my 48k service. I suspect it's leftover from some mice I caught in the trunk last winter, but aside from doing more trapping to try to get any more mice that go in the car going forward, is there anything I need to do? I cleaned the whole thing out and replaced the cabin air filter.

Wires seem OK, no other issues. Not sure how they're getting in exactly but I know for sure they were in the trunk (that's where I trapped them last winter) and at one point they were in the cabin as well and chewed on my camelbak bottle. Then obviously they were in the dashboard somewhere and on top of the cabin air filter.

Edit:

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

With snow falling into the car and getting tracked in by boots, should I worry about any sort of damp rid type product?

If you have decent floor mats (weathertech or at least something rubber) it is probably fine - I've tracked snow/ice into my car and then left it sit for a couple weeks without any issues at all.

If you have fabric floor mats or are otherwise getting the water into fabric, I'd maybe get better floor mats but I'm not sure if there's anything you should do in that situation.

Then again - how much snow is falling into your car? If you just mean what happens when you open the door or whatever then it's probably fine, just brush off the door seams before you open them I guess.

ssb fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 14, 2019

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

shortspecialbus posted:

Found a mouse nest the size of a cantaloupe on top of my cabin air filter in my 2017 WRX yesterday while doing my 48k service. I suspect it's leftover from some mice I caught in the trunk last winter, but aside from doing more trapping to try to get any more mice that go in the car going forward, is there anything I need to do? I cleaned the whole thing out and replaced the cabin air filter.

Wires seem OK, no other issues. Not sure how they're getting in exactly but I know for sure they were in the trunk (that's where I trapped them last winter) and at one point they were in the cabin as well and chewed on my camelbak bottle. Then obviously they were in the dashboard somewhere and on top of the cabin air filter.

It sounds like you got it covered: check for chewed on wires, etc. Check your engine air filter too. Mice seem to love air filter boxes. If you got a garage, I'd invest in some traps and maybe a cat. The downside is little footprints on the windshield.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

kid sinister posted:

It sounds like you got it covered: check for chewed on wires, etc. Check your engine air filter too. Mice seem to love air filter boxes. If you got a garage, I'd invest in some traps and maybe a cat. The downside is little footprints on the windshield.

We have 3 cats but they're indoor cats and the garage isn't insulated so we're not opening it up to them. I have a ton of traps that I'll be putting out and setting in the trunk at least a couple nights a week going forward, plus around the garage some.

Engine air filter is a cone on the end of the CAI (Cobb BigSF) so I'm not sure if they could really do anything with it or get to it easily, but I check and clean that every oil change rather than every other and I'd probably notice a power change pretty quick if it was blocked by a mouse nest.

Thanks for confirming - it seemed enough to me but wasn't sure if there was something I was missing.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Try putting the cats in during the day at least, get that catty smell mice avoid? Might not work but costs nothing to try.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

simplefish posted:

Try putting the cats in during the day at least, get that catty smell mice avoid? Might not work but costs nothing to try.

Garage is not really pet-safe and my wife is a veterinarian and would therefore want it as such. It really isn't an option, plus in the winter when this is a problem, it's well below freezing in there, so I don't think I'd be OK with them in there either. They're great at catching mice when they get in the house, they can keep doing that.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Fair enough, if they're indoor cats do you have a litter tray or something you could park in there for a bit before cleaning it out? It's just it worked for me in the past. We didn't lock kitty in overnight or anything but when the cat was in the garage more often the mouse problem stopped.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

simplefish posted:

Fair enough, if they're indoor cats do you have a litter tray or something you could park in there for a bit before cleaning it out? It's just it worked for me in the past. We didn't lock kitty in overnight or anything but when the cat was in the garage more often the mouse problem stopped.

I really appreciate what you're trying to do, but there is no way I'm even going to try to convince my wife that it's perfectly fine for the cats to be in the garage with the various oil, gas, chemicals, and other wildly un-pet-friendly things that we keep in there and that we could only move out of the garage for short amounts of time. You should have seen the battle she had with the exterminator who tried convincing her that certain rodent poisons, one of which she had just treated an animal for, were completely harmless to pets. She's 100 lbs soaking wet but terrifying when it comes to things like that. So, picking my battles and all.

Snap traps with peanut butter will get the job done well enough and we can give the garage a once-over to try to figure out where they're getting in, although I suspect it's just a gap around the garage door that will be hard to deal with.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Maybe try just putting some (used) litter out there in an old or disposable litter box/tray? The mice will smell the cats from that, and it may deter them a bit.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It won't hurt, just DON'T LET IT TIP OVER. I learned that the hard way; that poo poo is impossible to clean out of the carpet.

They make a version made to hang in closets, I'd probably use that over the tub and just hang it from the clothes hook in the back seat.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 14, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: damnit.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Yo, how important is it to replace my worn rear end shocks and struts really?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yo, how important is it to replace my worn rear end shocks and struts really?

After brakes and tires I'd say your suspension is the next most important.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I would say moderately, you usually don't notice how bad they are until you replace them, on 3 of my cars that I bought with worn struts they went from bottoming on speed humps to being able to corner about twice as fast as before they were replaced, bad/worn struts really hurt your ability to turn and make quick maneuvers. They also all rode a lot better too.

Also if they are really bad they can cause your tires to wear faster.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They can also significantly affect how the car tracks, and how the tires stick to the road surface through turns on non-ideal roads, and, especially, in wet conditions. It can get real hairy, real fast. Change them as soon as you are able.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PainterofCrap posted:

They can also significantly affect how the car tracks, and how the tires stick to the road surface through turns on non-ideal roads, and, especially, in wet conditions. It can get real hairy, real fast. Change them as soon as you are able.

Yup, a lot of people forget the suspension's most important job is to keep traction. That being said, how worn are we talking about here?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I generally consider shocks to be worn out if I get more than two rebounds/compressions out of a single bump. Mine have been marginal for quite some time but they still settle after one cycle for most bumps, and I only get a second cycle if I'm bombing down some cratered dirt road.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Beach Bum posted:

I generally consider shocks to be worn out if I get more than two rebounds/compressions out of a single bump. Mine have been marginal for quite some time but they still settle after one cycle for most bumps, and I only get a second cycle if I'm bombing down some cratered dirt road.

I replaced mine a few years ago, I didn't get much in the way of rebound after bouncing on the back and front. It wasn't because the poo poo was still good, but because the struts were seized. Or close to being seized.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
What are some excellent aftermarket floor mats for the front two seats of a 2016 Mazda CX-5? I live in PA, so the winters are bad.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

WeatherTech is pretty much the go-to, and worth the money.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mourne posted:

What are some excellent aftermarket floor mats for the front two seats of a 2016 Mazda CX-5? I live in PA, so the winters are bad.

Weathertech.

https://www.weathertech.com/mazda/2016/cx-5/floor-mats-all-weather/

E: they don't make mats for your car. But they to make floor liners, which are also nice, but more expensive.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mourne posted:

Also Husky Liners for significantly less money (in a lot of cases, but not for you :( ), but virtually the same performance:

https://www.huskyliners.com/WeatherBeater-Floor-Mats/2016/mazda/cx-5

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 15, 2019

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Does Weather tech have a patent on that poo poo? It amazes me that there is almost nothing competitive to their offerings.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Anyone ever try out Rain Eater https://www.raineater.com/ wiper blades? They were recommended on Rennlist and at ~$50 a set, I'd like to know they're worth it before plunking down the cash.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Anyone ever try out Rain Eater https://www.raineater.com/ wiper blades? They were recommended on Rennlist and at ~$50 a set, I'd like to know they're worth it before plunking down the cash.
Where do you live?

In warm, low-rain climates like where I live, there's basically never going to be a reason to spend that much on wipers - they get used for mayyyyyybe a month, then sit all year and need to be replaced before the next "season".

I've never found a set that defied this, so something to keep in mind. All that being said, never used 'em, but $50 a set is pretty steep. Considering wipers can be as cheap as $10/set online and wipers are pretty much standard goods (some small variations, but no huge feature changes), I can't imagine where that $40 is going.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Aquapel and decent wipers will smoke the most expensive wiper you can get probably.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Been having cooling issues on the Capri again, the damned thing just runs cold. I elevated and burped the cooling system for an hour straight with the proper mix of the proper coolant, I cleaned out the IAC and throttle body, and even tried blocking the radiator, but it won't get up to temperature unless it feels like it. I have good heat, but the oil pressure is a little volatile in this cold. The thermostat is only 10k miles old, but I'm pretty sure it's to blame

The problem is that between the PO stripping a difficult to reach nut and me being too stupid to put a fresh one on when I reinstalled it, even a flare wrench can't get a solid grip on the thing anymore. Are any of those "stripped nut" sockets actually useful, am I going to have to cut/weld this thing, and is there some other problem that I could be missing?

I'm hesitant to use too much heat, since the temperature sending unit is directly attached to the tiny, aluminum thermostat housing and don't want to accidentally fry the only thing that could tell me if I hosed up

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

`Nemesis posted:

Does Weather tech have a patent on that poo poo? It amazes me that there is almost nothing competitive to their offerings.

If you search for "3D car floor mats" you can find a few competitors. I couldn't find one that had mats for my older car but weather tech did so I got theirs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Going to give weathertech's warranty a try.

Got a set for xmas a few years back and the back ones are curling on the sides (they are hardly used much). Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fwiw my Husky mats on my 16 Mazda 3 are great. Time to swap them in for the winter I suppose.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Charles posted:

Yup, a lot of people forget the suspension's most important job is to keep traction. That being said, how worn are we talking about here?

It's hard for me to tell from driving it, I must have gradually gotten used to the way the car drives and handles bumps. I'm going off my mechanic's recommendation that the rear ones are due for replacement and leaked out all fluid.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's hard for me to tell from driving it, I must have gradually gotten used to the way the car drives and handles bumps. I'm going off my mechanic's recommendation that the rear ones are due for replacement and leaked out all fluid.

If they're that dead, yes, replace them.
You can try the bounce test -- it won't necessarily tell you if they're good, but it can prove they're bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqJA2USNons

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Stupid question.

1992 Y60 Patrol:
Option 1 - Get a wrecked Colorado with the 2.8 LWM and auto tranny and basically turn it into a Chevy, or
Option 2 - Buy a Cummins R2.8, rebuild the manual tranny and yeet

Basically the Colorado would turn it into a soulless automatic beast and the Cummins would be a massive headache and require a lot of custom work and random parts. They're both about the same cost overall but definitely not the same amount of sanity.

This will be my first engine swap job and I have a habit of completing my projects to some degree. I will definitely post progress.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Reacon posted:

Stupid question.

1992 Y60 Patrol:
Option 1 - Get a wrecked Colorado with the 2.8 LWM and auto tranny and basically turn it into a Chevy, or
Option 2 - Buy a Cummins R2.8, rebuild the manual tranny and yeet

Option 1 would be more powerful, at least without further modification, but would probably be more work because as you note you'd basically have to carry over most of the Colorado's major components and sensors and trick them in to thinking everything is normal.

Option 2 seems like it would be a lot easier because the R2.8 is sold as a complete crate package with an electrical setup designed for installation in to whatever you feel like. It knows it's in your Frankensteined beast and it's OK with that.

If there's an adapter for your trans it seems like that'd be about as close to bolt-in as a modern engine could be.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074WGYC37/

Is there any chance these cheaper-than-dirt Chinese garbage motor mounts actually work at all?

I've got a 2005 Accord that's in great shape but has been sitting for a couple years and it's shaking when it starts to go into the 30s and continues even after it comes back down. The wheels are balanced and everything looks okay but the transmission mounts are a bit soft to the touch and the shop manager where the tires were balanced said it felt like the mounts or the axle were not happy. I'm all for getting by on the bare, bare minimum with this car if it doesn't impact safety and it's not going to just suck and/or fail in less than a year, ish. So I wouldn't mind having garbage mounts if they sorta get the job done for a while at less than a quarter the cost of Napa... But it just seems crazy cheap. Anyways, the pictures seem to match the OEM parts pretty well.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

TheBananaKing posted:

Is there any chance these cheaper-than-dirt Chinese garbage motor mounts actually work at all?

I've got a 2005 Accord that's in great shape but has been sitting for a couple years and it's shaking when it starts to go into the 30s and continues even after it comes back down. The wheels are balanced and everything looks okay but the transmission mounts are a bit soft to the touch and the shop manager where the tires were balanced said it felt like the mounts or the axle were not happy. I'm all for getting by on the bare, bare minimum with this car if it doesn't impact safety and it's not going to just suck and/or fail in less than a year, ish. So I wouldn't mind having garbage mounts if they sorta get the job done for a while at less than a quarter the cost of Napa... But it just seems crazy cheap. Anyways, the pictures seem to match the OEM parts pretty well.

Rock Auto has some too. No idea about those Amazon ones, but I trust Rock Auto a little more than Amazon at least. That's totally subjective though.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

TheBananaKing posted:

If you need to replace them, I'm sure that even cheapo chinese mounts will be better than what you've got
Just make sure they're the right ones. IIRC, Honda of that era basically had a different motor mount configuration for every trim level on every model of every market. I had to try 4 different trans mounts on my 05 civic

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose

nitsuga posted:

Rock Auto has some too. No idea about those Amazon ones, but I trust Rock Auto a little more than Amazon at least. That's totally subjective though.

The price was so right and Amazon's promise to have them here by Monday with guaranteed free return if I don't want them was too good to pass up so I ordered them and I'll guess I'll find out about the quality. Though if anyone has any horror stories I'm fully prepared to spend the dough to get proper parts. It just seems so impossibly cheap... :patriot:

The Door Frame posted:

If you need to replace them, I'm sure that even cheapo chinese mounts will be better than what you've got
Just make sure they're the right ones. IIRC, Honda of that era basically had a different motor mount configuration for every trim level on every model of every market. I had to try 4 different trans mounts on my 05 civic

Haha, oh gently caress I guess we'll see. Napa only gave me one option for each mount on their website but I haven't looked at other stores.

E- honestly for $90 it's worth it just to find out if I need to replace the axle too. I'm not really sure how that would be making me wobble only when getting up to speed but he had some half convincing explanation that I immediately forgot.

TheBananaKing fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 17, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If the axle had bad CV joints, it would shake noticeably under acceleration (and a bit while cruising if they're really bad), increasing in frequency with car speed, not engine speed (though as it upshifts into higher gears, the shaking would become less pronounced, as the joints won't be seeing as much torque). If it's mounts, the shaking would be tied to engine speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A lot of times when CV joints go is you'll get a clicking sound when going around a corner.

As for the mounts, pop the hood. Rev the engine, see it you the top of it rock.