Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MacheteZombie posted:

With Lake on Fire the cast just wasn't that great. The fake show stuff is all done well, and I really enjoyed how the host would just twist things to be like, "so you do agree that the Hoover dam was built with alien tech!". Once they leave Vegas and get to the lake though the movie just got way less interesting.

I definitely agree that it's an interesting angle for the movie to suggest the crew is unwittingly spreading disinformation.

Well, it’s kinda the crux of it, because it’s not just a suggestion. The lake section is pretty unexceptional as straight horror because it’s overtly a hoax by Lake Security and his partner. They’re government agents paid to prank the local crazies, having harassed the woman in the tent for years (while slipping her falsified ‘alien autopsy’ documents) to cover up what appear to be aquatic drone tests. They’re like an ‘evil’ (purposely malicious) mirror of Bjorn and Britney, deliberately cultivating an ironic detachment in the public.

Hence the punchline that, once the Alien Architects crew experiences genuine hardship for the first time (beat up by a naked dude in an alien mask & exposed to some experimental weapon), they’re doomed to be fodder for the next kitsch TV special.
It amounts to a more nuanced criticism of these hipsters, because the thesis is really that they don’t get weird enough, into ideological critique - because the architecture in Vegas is bizarre. Why does the Hoover dam have all these references to stars and angels? And why are these processed foods just so disgusting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The Shining 2: The Quickening

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Overlord started out really good but it's so painfully generic. Seen that poo poo a million times before. Wyatt Russell is great though, and the credits over a rap song are banging.
Could be worse I suppose?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched it the other night and it was fine. Not nearly as monster or horror heavy as I was expecting but what is in there is pretty good and I kind of was asking myself why "war is horror in and of itself" doesn't get used for the setting for more horror films.

So like, I mostly enjoyed my night but I don't really have much to say about it and am iffy on the horror/action divide.

I do love Bridging the Gap.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
There's always Come and See if you want war as horror.

Violator
May 15, 2003

married but discreet posted:

Overlord started out really good but it's so painfully generic. Seen that poo poo a million times before. Wyatt Russell is great though, and the credits over a rap song are banging.
Could be worse I suppose?

I thought it would have been neat if the American guy at the end didn’t infect himself, he just loved freedom so much that he was able to take that rear end whooping and dish it out because he had US of A patriotism flowing through his veins. That could have been a neat reveal and really Captain America it to the max.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Violator posted:

I thought it would have been neat if the American guy at the end didn’t infect himself, he just loved freedom so much that he was able to take that rear end whooping and dish it out because he had US of A patriotism flowing through his veins. That could have been a neat reveal and really Captain America it to the max.

The weird thing about that part of the film is that like nothing happens to him. He gets stronger and harder to kill but he doesn't go through any of the monstrous changes that the others did so it barely felt like it meant anything until he sacrifices himself to make sure no one gets their hand on it.

It was an odd lack of delivery on the premise. Which I think was my main problem with Overlord. It was fine but it feels like 9 out of 10 filmmakers would have done a LOT more with the idea - for better or worse.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Also on the recently-watched-Overlord train and thought the first half was way better than the second half. Guys sneaking around an occupied city is a super easy setup for interesting tension and there are a million directions you can go with it. By the time the end rolls around, though, we've got the nazi zombie villain raving about how the thousand year reich will conquer the world to an audience of basically nobody paying attention and it feels like everyone has stopped caring about the movie.

I did, however, really appreciate their decision to remove the protagonist from the inevitable and mostly irrelevant men punching each other climax and have him focused on doing actual important work instead of punching. That was smarter and more interesting than it felt like the movie was prepared for.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the fact that the Nazi Zombies are just kind of this hurdle they encounter on this historically significant mission and they never actually lose sight of that mission was a cool aspect of it. I just wish there was more Nazi zombie stuff in the second half.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
As goofy as it is I think I enjoyed Frankenstein's Army more than Overlord

Violator
May 15, 2003

Stink Billyums posted:

As goofy as it is I think I enjoyed Frankenstein's Army more than Overlord

Was that a first person POV movie?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
yeah, found footage about soldiers finding a nazi base with monsters that look halfway between horror and kamen rider villains

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, it’s kinda the crux of it, because it’s not just a suggestion. The lake section is pretty unexceptional as straight horror because it’s overtly a hoax by Lake Security and his partner. They’re government agents paid to prank the local crazies, having harassed the woman in the tent for years (while slipping her falsified ‘alien autopsy’ documents) to cover up what appear to be aquatic drone tests. They’re like an ‘evil’ (purposely malicious) mirror of Bjorn and Britney, deliberately cultivating an ironic detachment in the public.

Hence the punchline that, once the Alien Architects crew experiences genuine hardship for the first time (beat up by a naked dude in an alien mask & exposed to some experimental weapon), they’re doomed to be fodder for the next kitsch TV special.
It amounts to a more nuanced criticism of these hipsters, because the thesis is really that they don’t get weird enough, into ideological critique - because the architecture in Vegas is bizarre. Why does the Hoover dam have all these references to stars and angels? And why are these processed foods just so disgusting?
What were your thoughts on Savageland?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
quick I'm going to watch a horror movie tonight, which of these from Canadian netflix should I watch on my phone (haven't seen any of them before)

hereditary
mother!
it follows
a quiet place
overlord
from dusk to dawn
texas chainsaw massacre (original or remake)
annihilation
the babadook
the limehouse golem
alien: covenant
gerald's game
overlord
blair witch (the one from a couple years ago)
the mothman prophecies
the strangers: prey at night
the purge
creep
await further instructions

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Arivia posted:

quick I'm going to watch a horror movie tonight, which of these from Canadian netflix should I watch on my phone (haven't seen any of them before)

hereditary
mother!
it follows
texas chainsaw massacre (original)
annihilation
the purge
creep

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
texas chain saw, bro

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Do not watch The Mothman Prophecies, it contains no Mothman and is boring as shiiiiiiiiit.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
If you're gonna watch it on your phone, Creep is probably the best choice.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I missed the phone part, don’t waste a first watch of texas chain saw on your phone

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Do not watch The Mothman Prophecies, it contains no Mothman and is boring as shiiiiiiiiit.

It's the most boring movie in the loving world with one genuinely effective scene slapped in the middle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INtbv3cd1BA

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I mean seriously, where the gently caress do they get off calling there movie The Mothman Prophecies and then not even loving show mothman? If you have a monster in your drat title you should be legally loving required to have that monster in your movie! Sorry, I'm just still pissed off about this apparently! I had completely forgotten that movie even exists, but now I remember and it makes me angry!

Someone please make a better Mothman movie!

Edit:

Tart Kitty posted:

It's the most boring movie in the loving world with one genuinely effective scene slapped in the middle:

Yeah, that's one of those "This deserves to be in a better movie" scenes.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 16, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I mean to be fair prophecies can be wrong

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tart Kitty posted:

that's disappointing, I find the mothman myth and especially Indrid Cold terrifying

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Mothman Prophecies is good. It’s just a slow-burn atmospheric mystery movie, not a monster movie. I’ve seen it a long time ago and something about it stayed with me.

It might be boring, but It’s the good kind of boring. A perfect movie for like a lazy sunday afternoon when there’s nothing to do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah it's not a great movie but I think it does what it sets out to do pretty effectively. It's obviously more interested in the creepy concept of some kind of death entity predicting/causing a disaster than it is the rest of the mothman mythos, and that's fine.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Pomp posted:

Edit: in the interest of moving the thread along, the best scene of the decade is the Mandy bathroom scene

Catching up on this thread so this is 5 pages old but coming into the October challenge the bathroom scene is what I had in mind for a new Av. Cage’s performance in Mandy is so effective despite having like 4 lines of dialogue in the whole thing and the bathroom scene is so emotionally gut wrenching.

ruddiger posted:

Should Hot Ones be considered a horror series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh3Fd2I1Jgs

Probably not but I did want to just say that I discovered Hot Ones a couple of weeks ago and if I were a single man the only things that would ever be on the television in my house are Horror Movies, Live Sports, and Hot Ones.

I love this stupid rear end chicken wing show so much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I enjoy Mothman Prophecies because I'm a big Mothman nerd and all the creepy stuff surrounding the actual creature was always more interesting to me than the creature itself anyway.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

we need to talk about the blu-ray re-release of Baby Blood

Okay first of all let's talk looks. This is GORGEOUS. I was STUNNED at how loving GOOD this movie looks. It's crystal clear, the transfer is excellent, it's just stunning.

The movie itself is loving BONKERS. It's got alien fetuses, telepathy, murder, circuses, tons of nudity and the "gorehound's delight" quote on the cover definitely lives up to its name.

It's also surprisingly intelligent and heartfelt? The conversations between the alien fetus and the mother are really kinda tender and when the alien asks questions about what it means to be human it really kinda makes you empathize with it. Shirley Bousquet gives a top-notch performance as the mother, expertly playing a character whose humanity takes a backseat to the dreamy, dazed state she's in with all the trauma. When that humanity bubbles through it really shines and tugs at the heartstrings.

It's also really bloody and has the RIGHT TONE OF BLOOD. No black-syrup-ichor or red paint, the blood looks and feels like real blood and the movies bursting with craziness.

I just really enjoyed this movie. It's campy and serious and crazy and heartfelt and incredibly gory all at once. The blu-ray is only $20 on amazon and I really can't recommend it enough. Just an absolute joy.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

OpenSourceBurger posted:

What were your thoughts on Savageland?

It's very "World War Z" - as in the book. And I don't exactly mean that in a good way. All the repetition that the photographs are indisputable truth just leads you to question the reliability of that narration - and, ultimately, the quality of the diegetic documentary.

The authentic version of the film would be one in which the documentarians relentlessly deconstruct the photographs and insist that they can't be true. Instead, they're preoccupied with shaping the event into an oddly banal human interest story.

Basically I'd be way more interested in a film adaptation of the diegetic nonfiction book Paint It Black: The Unsolved Murders at Sangre de Christo.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

we need to talk about the blu-ray re-release of Baby Blood

Okay first of all let's talk looks. This is GORGEOUS. I was STUNNED at how loving GOOD this movie looks. It's crystal clear, the transfer is excellent, it's just stunning.

The movie itself is loving BONKERS. It's got alien fetuses, telepathy, murder, circuses, tons of nudity and the "gorehound's delight" quote on the cover definitely lives up to its name.

It's also surprisingly intelligent and heartfelt? The conversations between the alien fetus and the mother are really kinda tender and when the alien asks questions about what it means to be human it really kinda makes you empathize with it. Shirley Bousquet gives a top-notch performance as the mother, expertly playing a character whose humanity takes a backseat to the dreamy, dazed state she's in with all the trauma. When that humanity bubbles through it really shines and tugs at the heartstrings.

It's also really bloody and has the RIGHT TONE OF BLOOD. No black-syrup-ichor or red paint, the blood looks and feels like real blood and the movies bursting with craziness.

I just really enjoyed this movie. It's campy and serious and crazy and heartfelt and incredibly gory all at once. The blu-ray is only $20 on amazon and I really can't recommend it enough. Just an absolute joy.

this sounds cool, I’m gonna check it out

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

It was just all a bit too dry for me I suppose. I didn't need necessarily need a stronger bit of horror to close the film for it to be better, and the whole thing being a hoax perpetrated by the government is a really good idea.

You're right about the punchline where they're experience fuels the next trashy conspiracy show being a good ending.

Shifting gears, Exorcist 3 was solid and the final act was great.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 16, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

this sounds cool, I’m gonna check it out

Tell me what you think, I really enjoyed it. Almost a sort of proto-Under the Skin, but much less art-house.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Beneath was a solid killer fish movie

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The version of The City of the Dead on Prime is just awful. I’ve seen bad transfers and stuff on here before but this is terrible.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Drunkboxer posted:

The version of The City of the Dead on Prime is just awful. I’ve seen bad transfers and stuff on here before but this is terrible.

There's a much better transfer on Tubi, though you have to pick the non-Rifftrax one (and the posters don't make clear which version is which).

The worst looking thing I ever saw on Prime was their garbage, washed out looking copy of Messiah of Evil. I'd been talking it up to my husband so he wanted to see it, but I had to turn it off and just but a physical copy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s so much trash on prime it’s insane.

I watched Midget Zombie Takeover and it had no midgets, lovely zombies, and not much of a take over.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They used to have version of Return of the Evil Dead that was like cropped for vertical phones it was fuckn' amazing. Something I like now is that if you have a fire stick when you pull up a movie it adds every possible version of it to your watch list so you can really easily compare run times/distributor/etc. to know what version you're watching.

There's still some weirdness of course because of how the whole thing is set up but it's a little easier to know if a good version of the movie is available digitally or not.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Why did it take me so long to realize that the knight who leads the hero chant at the end of Evil Dead 2 was Sam Raimi

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Watched Chopping Mall today for the first time. As soon as it started I was like “is that the mall from Fast Times at Ridgemont High?” - then it was.

Fun movie though - solid ownage via head explosion and peak Barbara Crampton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I could literally gay gush about Barbara Crampton for pages. First up, how has she not starred in a Dorian Gray adaption