Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I suppose there isn't any 802.11ay hardware yet? That poo poo can supposedly do up to 44GBit/s. I'd rather see them working on wireless links instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

They did say at oc6 that maybe one-day they will be able to support link over wireless. I doubt they will do it unless they can make it fairly bulletproof.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So Stormland apparently doesn't work with ReVive but a fix is coming. (RoadToVR article)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mashed_penguin posted:

They did say at oc6 that maybe one-day they will be able to support link over wireless. I doubt they will do it unless they can make it fairly bulletproof.

They probably don't want to have to support that poo poo and end up troubleshooting everyone's lovely WiFi setup.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That's solvable through hardware: make a bespoke Link USB WiFi adapter.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JRbGcyPUnk

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So Stormland apparently doesn't work with ReVive but a fix is coming. (RoadToVR article)

The fix was already checked into the Revive Github. It was fixed on the Stormlands launch day. You can find compiled versions of it around the Internet; I've been playing for days now.

This video shows how to install the patch. The patch link is in the description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOnyApZbaU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I suppose there isn't any 802.11ay hardware yet? That poo poo can supposedly do up to 44GBit/s. I'd rather see them working on wireless links instead.

Network jitter is a bigger problem than bandwidth for network. Between your PC and your access point (and possibly switch/gateway), you have a lot of room for a crappy piece of hardware to not be good enough to deliver all the frames on time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Delta-Wye posted:

It takes several hours for an electron to enter your house, pass through the wiring, through your wife's vibrator, and then back out to the distribution lines while you post on the internet.

Quoting so that this makes it to the next page :golfclap:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I just played Stormland for five hours, only stopping because my hands were super sore from using the controllers for so long.

When I came out and saw how much time had passed my mind was blown, I've had VR since the Rift DK1 but I've never spent that long inside.

It is definitely my favorite VR game.

Oh, and something I haven't seen anyone mention, the load times are insane. In a good way. I don't have an SSD but the game loads in under 10 seconds, and then has no loading screens in game (even after dying).

And when I say ten seconds, I mean, I'm literally in the game world running around ten seconds after I click the button in the Oculus launcher.

They did a similarly awesome job on the performance settings. You can pull up the settings in game, and as you change the settings your graphics update in real time.

Also, the temporal AA is really cool. It completely eliminates aliasing, to a degree beyond what I've ever achieved with super sampling. And it does it even at the lowest resolution settings, taking what looks absolutely horrible without AA and making it look fantastic. It does have some weird artifacts (especially with text) so I'm not using it, but it was really neat to play with.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tip posted:

I just played Stormland for five hours, only stopping because my hands were super sore from using the controllers for so long.

When I came out and saw how much time had passed my mind was blown, I've had VR since the Rift DK1 but I've never spent that long inside.

It is definitely my favorite VR game.

Oh, and something I haven't seen anyone mention, the load times are insane. In a good way. I don't have an SSD but the game loads in under 10 seconds, and then has no loading screens in game (even after dying).

And when I say ten seconds, I mean, I'm literally in the game world running around ten seconds after I click the button in the Oculus launcher.

They did a similarly awesome job on the performance settings. You can pull up the settings in game, and as you change the settings your graphics update in real time.

Also, the temporal AA is really cool. It completely eliminates aliasing, to a degree beyond what I've ever achieved with super sampling. And it does it even at the lowest resolution settings, taking what looks absolutely horrible without AA and making it look fantastic. It does have some weird artifacts (especially with text) so I'm not using it, but it was really neat to play with.

It's real loving good, after you beat the "campaign" (it's really more of a tutorial tbh) some of the movement upgrades you unlock are so sick. Get the air boost IMMEDIATELY you go SO FAST

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im downloading it right now at like 1mb every 3s >< lol. Not sure if its my crappy connection or their servers

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Network jitter is a bigger problem than bandwidth for network. Between your PC and your access point (and possibly switch/gateway), you have a lot of room for a crappy piece of hardware to not be good enough to deliver all the frames on time.
With 802.11ay style hardware, I'd expect them to use it in direct mode, not using any APs. An adapter to plug directly into the graphics card and another for the headset, so it'd run isolated. So long there's no other devices in the room (on the same frequency anyway). That poo poo runs in the 57-71 Gigahertz bands, it won't penetrate walls. So if your neighbor would also use that frequency, (s)he shouldn't affect you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stormlands is great and I mostly only have nitpicks when it comes to criticizing it.
My biggest issue with it is that I wish enemies had projectile weapons instead of hitscan. Less loving non-stop tutorializing and attempting to drag you by the nose would be nice as well. Fortunately the game doesn't actually lock you into linear sections and you can do whatever you feel line but it does constantly bring up the quest log and have NPCs yell into your ear that you should go do the thing they want you to do.

Having so many different locomotion systems at your disposal at once is real loving nice though. Being able to switch between cloud surfing, running, jumping, climbing and gliding on a whim feels great.

EDIT: Oh and the performance could've been better. I got a GTX 2060 with a Ryzen 5 2600, which can run almost anything at max settings, but I can't seem to get stable 90 fps in Stormlands no matter what I do. It keeps jumping between 90 and 45 even on Medium settings, as far as I can tell. That's almost No Man's Sky level of performance.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 17, 2019

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried out the Doctor Who game? The trailer looks cool: https://youtu.be/V-AjWi6j1fE

Wouldn't expect much from the gameplay but as a Who fan I figure it like like quite a lot of fun, and the reviews have been decent.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Incidentally, is there a way to stop VR games from limiting the framerate to 45 as soon as you go slightly under 90 fps or is that something they just have to do?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Incidentally, is there a way to stop VR games from limiting the framerate to 45 as soon as you go slightly under 90 fps or is that something they just have to do?

It's related to the the asynchronous spacewarp. Read here
https://uploadvr.com/reprojection-explained/

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Going from 90 to 45->90 w/ reprojection should be easier on your vestibular system than wandering from 90-82 constantly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

With 802.11ay style hardware, I'd expect them to use it in direct mode, not using any APs. An adapter to plug directly into the graphics card and another for the headset, so it'd run isolated. So long there's no other devices in the room (on the same frequency anyway). That poo poo runs in the 57-71 Gigahertz bands, it won't penetrate walls. So if your neighbor would also use that frequency, (s)he shouldn't affect you.

I have an Intel 802.11ac mimo card with large external antennae on my motherboard, and I set up a "hotspot" in the built-in Windows 10 menus (was a pain in the rear end to get working) in order to bypass my router and connect the Quest directly to the PC. The latency became markedly worse according to ALVR's own reporting and my experience in the headset confirmed this.

I'm not sure why the latency would worsen by removing a hop, maybe my Asus 68U router is just a lot more robust than the motherboard stuff.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
My guess is that messing with Windows like that lost you some amount of hardware assistance in the network stack.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zero VGS posted:

I have an Intel 802.11ac mimo card with large external antennae on my motherboard, and I set up a "hotspot" in the built-in Windows 10 menus (was a pain in the rear end to get working) in order to bypass my router and connect the Quest directly to the PC. The latency became markedly worse according to ALVR's own reporting and my experience in the headset confirmed this.

I'm not sure why the latency would worsen by removing a hop, maybe my Asus 68U router is just a lot more robust than the motherboard stuff.

If your computer has a wired connection to your wifi router that likely adds about half a MS to the latency between the computer and the HMD. Routers make much better routers than Windows PCs do.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://i.imgur.com/EDoM1H1.mp4

Stormland is so good, after you get into the post game you unlock more abilities to slot in and I'm using air dash here, it's amazing

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lemming posted:

https://i.imgur.com/EDoM1H1.mp4

Stormland is so good, after you get into the post game you unlock more abilities to slot in and I'm using air dash here, it's amazing

It really can't be said enough, it's so loving good.

I thought Asgard's Wrath was pretty good, largely held up by the novelty of having large amounts of AAAish quality content, but Stormland combines that with an incredible amount of freedom and addictively satisfying gameplay mechanics.

It kills me that Sony bought Insomniac, because I really want more of this, but we're almost definitely going to get nothing but bug fixes.

Hopefully it sells a ridiculous number of copies and other studios scramble to copy all the best bits.

I've said for a long time that a Deus Ex game built from the ground up for VR would be my ultimate game, and after playing Stormland I'm doubly convinced.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Lemming posted:

I just wish it had a "Yes I know how to VR please skip the first 2 hours of absolute garbo story and let me play the game" button.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Calipark posted:

I just wish it had a "Yes I know how to VR please skip the first 2 hours of absolute garbo story and let me play the game" button.

I agree, if anybody is interested I blitzed through that first tutorialish section (took me 2 hours the first time I re-did it after loving up my save, 1:15 the second time) and have a clean save ready to go for the post game/weekly reset cycle section I made for someone else. It starts you with as little as possible but it's ready to go on the main bulk of the game.

Barry Bluejorts
Jun 30, 2013

Now please touch your finger to the tip of your nose.
Pillbug
Pretty excited for the new open beta for VRChat, the IK got a lot better this round, so I'll be able to dance again and not look like a robot.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Lemming posted:

I agree, if anybody is interested I blitzed through that first tutorialish section (took me 2 hours the first time I re-did it after loving up my save, 1:15 the second time) and have a clean save ready to go for the post game/weekly reset cycle section I made for someone else. It starts you with as little as possible but it's ready to go on the main bulk of the game.

I would love that and it'd make me actually buy the game whenever the oculus link stuff comes out. I have so little patience for tutorials in normal games but I lose my mind in VR ones. Especially being told how to do the same poo poo in every game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barry Bluejorts posted:

Pretty excited for the new open beta for VRChat, the IK got a lot better this round, so I'll be able to dance again and not look like a robot.

Just upgrading to Unity 2018 alone is going to be fantastic, fixing the IK is just a cherry on top.

It's almost a shame they're also FINALLY fixing gesture animations not being visible in mirrors, because you can do some fun stuff to scare people with that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

I would love that and it'd make me actually buy the game whenever the oculus link stuff comes out. I have so little patience for tutorials in normal games but I lose my mind in VR ones. Especially being told how to do the same poo poo in every game.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13JQzt95NBRFzuw_7K9PtgRcyV94JzxEC/view

It's not that bad tbh, I'd recommend going through it but yeah if you can't stand it this'll get you ready to go. Put it in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\AppData\13972*whatever the rest of the numbers are* and then down to the data folder.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I finally played Sairento and bouncing around dodging bullets and skewering through people is awesome. I hope there is at least a few hours of content there

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RFC2324 posted:

I finally played Sairento and bouncing around dodging bullets and skewering through people is awesome. I hope there is at least a few hours of content there

I highly recommend the Intercessor revolver and dual-wielding a pair of them, especially once you've upgraded handguns a bit and stuck some damage mods on the Intercessor. Those things are lethal headshot beasts for anything up (and including) to the red samurai guys.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So I'm basically waiting Black Friday to get into VR (Quest, + possibly Link cable). What are the top five things to get? Beat Saber and...?
I guess I should do the same question but also for the Rift store, given that I have a good computer, which is why I'm also buying the cable.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.pcgamer.com/rumour-valve-are-about-to-announce-a-vr-game-called-half-life-alyx/

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Turin Turambar posted:

So I'm basically waiting Black Friday to get into VR (Quest, + possibly Link cable). What are the top five things to get? Beat Saber and...?
I guess I should do the same question but also for the Rift store, given that I have a good computer, which is why I'm also buying the cable.

Here's my bit from the first page:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post499049637

Not an exhaustive list, but I still enjoy all of these.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Just read this article. My body is ready to be.... female.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Oculus link is going into beta today.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/play-rift-content-on-quest-with-oculus-link-available-now-in-beta/

Cable and system requirements for the beta:
https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Link Beta is live but currently limited to a handful of Nvidia GPUs so please post trip reports for the AMD idiots like myself.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Wait, the cable that comes with the Quest is only USB-2? I didn't realize they even made USB C cables that slow.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
That's disappointing, I was counting on using that cable. I guess I will dig through my cable drawer when I get home. Might have to order a new one from Amazon, because the below quote is not encouraging me to wait for the official cord:

quote:

Later this year, we’ll release a premium, custom optical fiber cable to provide a best-in-class experience with maximum throughput while using Oculus Link. It will be 5 meters (16+ feet) long to provide more freedom of movement than any other cable on the market. We’ll start rolling out our cable with limited quantities in select regions this year, and continue to expand availability in 2020. We’re also releasing the Oculus Link cable specs today to help our community make informed buying decisions and let other companies evaluate whether to make comparable cables in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, my plan to buy one in a pair of weeks seems to be undone.