Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Franchescanado posted:

Okay. Someone say something funny and I’ll change it to that.

Action Movies: Listen shitkicker, you’re one oval office hair away from hillbilly heaven

(Taken from Blade II)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Hey, nipple-head!

(Taken from Blade II)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

You obviously do not know who you are *loving* with!

(taken from Blade II)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Tart Kitty posted:

I've mentioned it before but I'm a huge sucker for any movie that features a CD-ROM as a maguffin

Then you will love The Foreigner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwRrP7Dcs9E

note: you will probably not love The Foreigner

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HYUP

OOF

from The Invincible Armour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5OybwQ0Pew
:eyepop: Full Movie to watch :eyepop:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

woo found a new fetish

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tart Kitty posted:

I've mentioned it before but I'm a huge sucker for any movie that features a CD-ROM as a maguffin

Tart Kitty posted:

woo found a new fetish

:same:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Seagal's best movie is Belly of the Beast. It's high art comedy from start to loving finish. It has everything. He's protected by Buddhist magic at the end, I'm hollering at the top of my lungs the entire runtime.
I'm laughing at them pretending Seagal had those skills at his peak, let alone in 2003.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Does "Abduction" with Scott Adkins go here or in SciFi? There's an awful lot of punching for an alien abduction movie. And he did take his shirt off at one point, which is required for all action heros. Andy On, the co-hero, does not take his shirt off, but is sleeveless in one scene.

Before you all start ranting about homoeroticism, keep in mind that there are female action fans, as well as patient girlfriends of male action fans, who like a little scenery to look at. Equal opportunity sexism, since we can't get rid of regular sexism.

Anyway, SA wakes up in a Creepy Place, sneaks out, and finds himself in Ho Chi Mihn City, Vietnam, with such a bad stutter that he gets arrested for Being Indecipherable In Public while trying to get directions to the embassy. His daughter is missing, and he claims it was an alien abduction. While his shrink is looking around for clues, she meets Andy On in the park that SA started in. Sufficient weirdness occurs that she decides to introduce AO to SA, because AO's wife was abducted just that morning.

There are fights with cops, aliens, Russian gangsters, Vietnamese gangsters, and SA and AO fight each other. Lots of cheap CGI for the special effects, but it's better than the CGI in "Legendary." (Which the interviews assure me is a Family Movie, not action.) Cyberspiders with glowing, green thoraxes (thoraces?) are used by the aliens to control captives, and Feng Shui is derived from alien tech.

I enjoyed it. You might, too, if you have a good tolerance for CGI.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Actually you might like The Foreigner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YZIJT0xmKY

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Disposable Scud posted:

I wanted to say I hate films where the hero doesn't get hit but I realized I came into this thread to announce that RE:Born is now on Shudder...

This is why I hate John Wick 2 & 3 so much. lolbulletproofsuit get the fawk outta 'ere!

mobby_6kl posted:

Actually you might like The Foreigner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YZIJT0xmKY

Genuinely a solid action movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Taintrunner posted:

This is why I hate John Wick 2 & 3 so much. lolbulletproofsuit get the fawk outta 'ere!

https://wonderhoodie.com/products/bullet-proof-hoodie?variant=13837980827703

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://bulletproofzone.com/product...0saAk-fEALw_wcB

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
A bulletproof suit is far from the least believable thing in John Wick movies.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
filmschoolrejects did their 50 best action movies of the decade list. posted without comment.

1. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015, Australia)
2. The Raid 2: Berandal (2014, Indonesia)
3. The Night Comes for Us (2018, Indonesia)
4. The Man from Nowhere (2010, South Korea)
5. The Raid: Redemption (2011, Indonesia)
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
7. John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017)
8. Fast Five (2011)
9. Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation (2015)
10. Haywire (2011)
11. Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011)
12. Dredd (2012, UK)
13. John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019)
14. Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018)
15. Avengement (2019, UK)
16. Tokyo Tribe (2014, Japan)
17. Ninja: Shadow of a Tear (2013, Thailand)
18. Blade of the Immortal (2017, Japan)
19. Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (2012)
20. SPL II: A Time for Consequences (2015, China)
21. The Yellow Sea (2010, South Korea)
22. Hanna (2011)
23. John Wick (2014)
24. Furie (2019, Vietnam)
25. Spy (2015)
26. Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (2018, Hong Kong)
27. Jack Reacher (2012)
28. Upgrade (2018)
29. Man of Tai Chi (2013)
30. Hobo with a Shotgun (2011, Canada)
31. The Villainess (2017, South Korea)
32. Ip Man 2 (2010, China)
33. The Witch: Part 1 – Subversion (2018, South Korea)
34. Eliminators (2016, UK)
35. Ip Man 3 (2015, China)
36. No Tears for the Dead (2014, South Korea)
37. Re: Born (2016, Japan)
38. Nightshooters (2018, UK)
39. Confidential Assignment (2017, South Korea)
40. Jailbreak (2017, Cambodia)
41. Why Don’t You Just Die! (2018, Russia)
42. Wolf Warrior 2 (2017, China)
43. The Brink (2017, China)
44. Revenger (2018, South Korea)
45. Kill Order (2017, Canada)
46. No Escape (2015)
47. Atomic Blonde (2017)
48. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
49. Plan B (2016, Germany)
50. Gemini Man (2019)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Good to see Man of Tai Chi, I love that movie.

Both Winter Soldier and Dark Knight Rises being on there are pretty wack though.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
No way John Wick 2 is better than 1, how could anyone think that.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I didn’t realize it was a ranked list. That makes Winter Soldier go from “wack” to “loving insane”. Like it’d be great as bottom of the list stuff but as one of the handful of best action movies of the decade is goddamn insane.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

married but discreet posted:

No way John Wick 2 is better than 1, how could anyone think that.

I think it's better. Better visuals, action amped up to 11, and I'm someone who loves the bizarre world building with the Continental/High Table stuff.

I don't have a problem with Winter Soldier being on the list but yea #6 is way too high.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
the best thing about the list is the intentional diversity. i'm not sure how many other lists would have only one american co-production in the top five, in addition to canadian and german ultra low budget productions that weren't great but were interesting.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Pretty good list but my main takeaway from it is that more people need to see Baahubali.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Rogue Nation the best of the M:I films? Apart from the opening bit with the plane, I genuinely cannot remember a single thing that happened in it. Was there an opera house sequence, or am I mixing it up with Quantum of Solace?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In general I can never get too worked up about lists. If that's their ranking, so be it. They're best used to check out cool stuff I haven't experienced.

Payndz posted:

Rogue Nation the best of the M:I films? Apart from the opening bit with the plane, I genuinely cannot remember a single thing that happened in it. Was there an opera house sequence, or am I mixing it up with Quantum of Solace?

Rogue Nation has that huge underwater heist into car chase into motorcycle chase sequence. And it has the sniper part at the theatre, yeah.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would probably put Winter Soldier lower, but having it on the list seems fair. It's one of the few MCU movies to actually genuinely deliver on the thrill-ride aspect for me (Civil War did too, but it was... much more uneven).

Having it above Upgrade and John Wick 2 is a little nuts, though.

e: also, nice to see Revenger getting repped, that movie rules

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
It's good to see a lot of Scott Adkins on that list, he's tragically undersold but probably the best action star of this decade.

The last Universal Solider was leagues better than it had any right to be, largely because of him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I dunno what the point of lists is except to make you go "WHAT THE gently caress" when someone ranks a piece of trash higher than a classic.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lobok posted:

Rogue Nation has that huge underwater heist into car chase into motorcycle chase sequence. And it has the sniper part at the theatre, yeah.
drat, I'd completely forgotten about all that. Shows how much of an impact it had on me. What I do now remember is Cruise and Pegg being in a car that flipped end over end a ridiculous enough number of times to make me seinfeld.gif out of the scene.

And yet I was fine with all the car-dropping stuff at the end of Ghost Protocol. By that point, the film had earned its suspension of disbelief.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The order of any list is just to generate controversy. It’s a good watch list with no major omissions except the aforementioned lack of anything from the Indian subcontinent

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's definitely a lot of people that seemed to think Rogue Nation was a marked improvement over Ghost Protocol but for me Ghost Protocol is still the best of the series. It outdoes Rogue Nation and Fallout in every way except that Solomon Lane is a better villain.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Hardcore Henry isn’t on that list and that’s a crime

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Hardcore Henry isn’t on that list and that’s a crime
:hmmyes:

I've seen a decent part of that list but from a quick glace many of the lesser know ones seem to be kind of poo poo. I mean Gemini man, Kill Order or Nightsooters... I guess they're near the end of the list and you can't really expect them to make 5 decent action movies per year.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

There's definitely a lot of people that seemed to think Rogue Nation was a marked improvement over Ghost Protocol but for me Ghost Protocol is still the best of the series. It outdoes Rogue Nation and Fallout in every way except that Solomon Lane is a better villain.

Not sure which one I prefer, honestly. The Burj Khalifa sequence I think can only be matched, not topped, in an M:I movie although I wish the sandstorm chase wasn't what capped it off. The villain does suck. And I'm not in love with the Mumbai mansion part.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I mean Solomon Lane is cool but I’m not going to complain about a Michael Nyqvist role.

Really the worst Mission Impossible movie (3) has the best villain (Philip Seymour Hoffman)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

I mean Solomon Lane is cool but I’m not going to complain about a Michael Nyqvist role.

Really the worst Mission Impossible movie (3) has the best villain (Philip Seymour Hoffman)

I like 3 much more than 2. Hoffman is the best villain in the entire franchise, but that movie also introduced us to Michelle Monaghan's character. And then it teased us with far too little of Keri Russell and Maggie Q, who went on to play excellent spies and undercover agents in a pair of good shows.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I agree that MI3 introduces good concepts, but in terms of the actual movie itself it’s definitely the one I’m most likely to skip on a rewatch.

It lacks the insane energy of MI2, which is coasting on some residual Face/Off vibes

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DeimosRising posted:

The order of any list is just to generate controversy. It’s a good watch list with no major omissions except the aforementioned lack of anything from the Indian subcontinent

You just don't get proper epic from anywhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXHwL6-4q7A

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

I agree that MI3 introduces good concepts, but in terms of the actual movie itself it’s definitely the one I’m most likely to skip on a rewatch.

It lacks the insane energy of MI2, which is coasting on some residual Face/Off vibes

MI2 is glacially paced for most of its length. Then the gunfights start.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, the middle of 2 is such a drag and seems very un-Woo. The last act is a banger though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, the middle of 2 is such a drag and seems very un-Woo. The last act is a banger though.

Dougray Scott's delivery of the line 'Stock options' is, for some inexplicable reason, really funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Ha! Didn't MI:2 reshoots basically launch Hugh Jackman's career?