Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Yeah, the game is definitely a jank port. I still enjoy it but it's because nothing else is close to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I have massive bounties everywhere because Arthur frequently gets on the wrong horse, tackles someone and starts punching them instead of getting on his horse, accidentally trampled someone’s dog which resulted in a town-wide shootout, and decided to yell “Y’ALL GETTIN’ ROBBED :clint:” when I was just trying to shoot birds on a train for the challenge.

I like the really bad drawing of a duck he does though

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The only time I have copped a bounty outside of story missions was because I crashed my horse into some dude on the way back from town.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Even though it's janky I'm enjoying this so much more on the PC. it looks loving sick at 1440p, and the gunfighting is easy and pretty satisfying with mouse and keyboard aiming. get stopped on the road by robbers and pop like 5 dudes with headshots without using deadeye before they even hit me

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I have massive bounties everywhere because Arthur frequently gets on the wrong horse, tackles someone and starts punching them instead of getting on his horse, accidentally trampled someone’s dog which resulted in a town-wide shootout, and decided to yell “Y’ALL GETTIN’ ROBBED :clint:” when I was just trying to shoot birds on a train for the challenge.

I like the really bad drawing of a duck he does though

having massive cross state bounties rocks in both story and online. although it can be hard to hunt productively with NPC bounty hunters showing up online.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Speaking of jank, how do you get rid of the mouse cursor? I've tried the common fixes that you can google and none have worked

StoneyAssassin
Feb 19, 2003

terrorist ambulance posted:

Speaking of jank, how do you get rid of the mouse cursor? I've tried the common fixes that you can google and none have worked

ILL Machina posted:

Oh God I just found out how to fix the persistent mouse cursor issue in a Reddit Google result. It's a problem with the epic portal. Go to your epic games install folder:

"$\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Extras\Overlay" and move/delete the four files in there.

Boy, do I regret buying on EGS for whatever reason that I did. Assumed that was the only place, I suppose.

This fix worked for me.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah I did that and it didnt work, and then I changed some graphic settings and reloaded and it did. Weird but it's good now. Thanks

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I got a bounty for Animal Cruelty because I accidentally trampled a dog to death, I didn't even know that was a thing.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

My posse and I were raiding a farm for sheep skin, and I ran around a corner and saw what I thought was a fox or a coyote or something so I mashed attack and I front snap-kicked this cat right in the face and killed it. Dark times.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Noirex posted:

I got a bounty for Animal Cruelty because I accidentally trampled a dog to death, I didn't even know that was a thing.

You oughta hang for that, varmint

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The snowwy areas of the map are some of the nicest looking, but it's a shame there's jack poo poo up there in Online:

Also figured I'd try starting the campaign again on PC. Tutorial missions after 2 weeks of online can't be that bad, right?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Download the save that's after the tutorial chapter, really do it don't torture yourself.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You oughta hang for that, varmint

Should have gotten out of the way of my 800 pound horse then :colbert:

Speaking of cruelty, I just murdered a farmer and shot his dog because I wanted the 3 star sheep in his herd. Honestly, pelts in this game has made me a monster.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
On top of posting pictures of horses and outfits, people should also be posting pictures of some fancy weapons.

I made a set of opposing engraved lemats!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alright Dante settle down.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
i5 user reporting in, tried the launcher argument but it just leads to CTD's instead of stuttering. frustrating because i would be able to work with the stutter for now, but causes disconnects in online so i can't do any mission or session for much longer, and once the stuttering starts, it gets worse even after restarting the game.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What's the best way to spend the pre-order gold?

Orv
May 4, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

What's the best way to spend the pre-order gold?

Bounty Hunter is a farmable source of gold (though not in vast amounts, it's still a grind) but Collector will drown you in several thousand dollars if you want to buy things. Not sure on Trader.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Orv posted:

Bounty Hunter is a farmable source of gold (though not in vast amounts, it's still a grind) but Collector will drown you in several thousand dollars if you want to buy things. Not sure on Trader.

I went collector at the behest of goons and did two round trips of the entire map (getting all the tarot cards) and it got me around 20 levels and multiple thousands of dollars in about 6 hours. You earn zero gold, though.

I would heavily recommend getting the shovel and metal detector at your first convenience. You'll spend $1000 on it, but it'll pay for itself fairly quickly. Just started the trader, so far not too impressed with it but we'll see how it goes. Thinking of grabbing bounty hunter pretty soon, any goon tips on it?

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 17, 2019

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

TescoBag posted:

I went collector at the behest of goons and did two round trips of the entire map (getting all the tarot cards) and it got me around 20 levels and multiple thousands of dollars in about 6 hours. You earn zero gold, though.

I would heavily recommend getting the shovel and metal detector at your first convenience. You'll spend $1000 on it, but it'll pay for itself fairly quickly. Just started the trader, so far not too impressed with it but we'll see how it goes. Thinking of grabbing bounty hunter pretty soon, any goon tips on it?

They're pretty straight forward, some will involve tracking. Opens up the weekly legendary bounty for you too, they're usually good. I've got a bounty wagon but I rarely use it, only where there are multiple dudes to hunt. You'll want the reinforced lasso at level 5 I think.

On the wagon, you can't have it out while your horse is out, you have to tell your horse to flee then thru the stable menu you can call in the wagon. Call the wagon last, after you've subdued all the bounties. Take it slow, it doesnt have great speed but it does get stuck easy.

Edit: if u keep a temp open posse you'll have plenty of help

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 17, 2019

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Sleekly posted:

They're pretty straight forward, some will involve tracking. Opens up the weekly legendary bounty for you too, they're usually good. I've got a bounty wagon but I rarely use it, only where there are multiple dudes to hunt. You'll want the reinforced lasso at level 5 I think.

On the wagon, you can't have it out while your horse is out, you have to tell your horse to flee then thru the stable menu you can call in the wagon. Call the wagon last, after you've subdued all the bounties. Take it slow, it doesnt have great speed but it does get stuck easy.

Edit: if u keep a temp open posse you'll have plenty of help

I've never really done much possying. Can you mark a possy as 'we're doing bounty hunting' or something? I'd like to join in on others maybe but I'm guessing it's hard to tell what people are doing?

Orv
May 4, 2011

TescoBag posted:

I've never really done much possying. Can you mark a possy as 'we're doing bounty hunting' or something? I'd like to join in on others maybe but I'm guessing it's hard to tell what people are doing?

If you join a posse that is actively on an activity of any kind it'll become the activity for you immediately. There's the usual guarantee that most people are stupid and don't understand the basic concept of objectives but they'll usually stumble along and shoot a few people for you.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Orv posted:

Alright Dante settle down.

I don't see any photos!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Love what you did with the Lemats. I want to change the metal on some of my guns but it seems way too costly in gold so I can never bring myself to pull the trigger :haw:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

I don't see any photos!

Since I play in third person and the costs are exorbitant even by Online's standards I haven't done any gun customizing yet.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I hear you guys and understand but for me burning my loot on the barbie game is the only way I can stay sane in rockstar's crushing idea of a grind. I just hope for others who feel similarly because I want to see what others do too.

Otherwise all we have are posts about how to optimize that grind which is just as crushing as doing it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just like to do the matchmaking modes, which you end up not really needing to buy any weapons for those. The grind is really just if you want to play cowboy dress up, but there is nothing wrong with that. It's just that Grand Theft Auto Online is a way better dress up simulator.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Icedude posted:

The snowwy areas of the map are some of the nicest looking, but it's a shame there's jack poo poo up there in Online:

I was looking forward to weathering a blizzard in Online, but turns out all the snowy weather effects are disabled. Instead you get rain at -16C.

I said come in! posted:

I just like to do the matchmaking modes, which you end up not really needing to buy any weapons for those. The grind is really just if you want to play cowboy dress up, but there is nothing wrong with that. It's just that Grand Theft Auto Online is a way better dress up simulator.

Disagree. Cowboy dress-up > modern day dress-up.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

somethingawful bf posted:

If you're looking to squeeze some performance out of the game, this thread on reddit has a pretty good settings base to start from while still keeping a majority of the quality

I skipped the reddit thread but I watched the videos and spent all morning benchmarking. I have to say that these settings are extremely good! I'm getting a solid 60fps on my 9700k and GTX 1080 at 1440p. I ended up following the settings exactly except for using Vulcan instead of DX12 and the new setting, Tree Tesselation, turned on. The one thing he didn't test was HDR which I find causes a 10% hit in performance and doesn't look that great.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i5 user reporting in, tried the launcher argument but it just leads to CTD's instead of stuttering. frustrating because i would be able to work with the stutter for now, but causes disconnects in online so i can't do any mission or session for much longer, and once the stuttering starts, it gets worse even after restarting the game.

This happens to me if I set my RDR2.exe to have High CPU Priority... is there a chance you've done that?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This happens to me if I set my RDR2.exe to have High CPU Priority... is there a chance you've done that?

Was happening to me when I was setting those to run in admin mode too.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, the mystery of the missing Legendary Bear grows deeper. Get to the Trapper, he now can make the bear parts stuff... but registers that he's got *two* Legendary Bear hides.

So now I have the Legendary Bear, Beaver, Buck and c-c-c-combo breaker Coyote.

Also a bunch of iguana bits, a blue Hardee hat, a pirate hat and I don't know where the drat D-hilt Bowie got to, I know I picked it up...

We Are Murderhead

Lemmy the Pirate King (early version - needs to be barefoot and either no shirt/open to the navel and frilly, and no drat suspenders.)(Also needs the pirate sword, which I did get, but not when I took the pic.)

Robbed a poker game in St. Denis. Hid behind a counter when the cops showed up. Cops walked through, looked at the covering players, couldn't see me, so they left. (Actually waited out the investigation lol. Stay fetal, guys...) Someone saw me loot the dead guard so they realerted,, Ran out, roof to roof to fall off a roof, bounce off a gazebo or something, finally hit the ground in front of a rifle-armed cop - who gets punched the gently caress out. Ran, chased by about six more cops, go to my (fleeing) horse, and managed to get out into the swamps and out of sight.. but a bounty on my head.

$5.00.

Also hosed up robbing the Rhodes gun shop - if you take cover behind the front counter, the only way in in through the front door. You can stack bodies so high in the doorway that no one can get in, and they get stuck in the corpses until you add to the pile. :unsmigghh: The usual Rockstar "fort up at the safehouse until dead, out of ammo, or bored".

Now to play with settings and see if I can make it prettier...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Some (most?) legendary animals have 2 pelts. You can only kill one since they’re unique but they have more than 1 piece of clothing associated with them.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I said come in! posted:

It's just that Grand Theft Auto Online is a way better dress up simulator.

It has shitloads of clothing after 6 years of weekly updates but it is very badly restricted in its combinations and even more so in its layering. This is the red dead thread so who gives a gently caress what game does it better :justpost:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I have definitely been playing Arthur as a style icon this time, everything from frontier tracker to classy gambler to Wyatt Earp. It's wild how many options there are

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Is there a way to get that nice Bandolier in RDR:O, or is it exclusive to the Singleplayer Campaign? I've not seen it in the Catalog and it seems all the shops just reference the Catalog anyway with the exception of the Fence.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

isk posted:

I have definitely been playing Arthur as a style icon this time, everything from frontier tracker to classy gambler to Wyatt Earp. It's wild how many options there are

I call this one, “Tech Company Middle Manager” (minus the cowboy hat obviously).

I like 90%-ed this game on PS4 so I’ve been using a trainer for unlimited MUNEH and just took a train to St. Denis for their expert tailor.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Feindfeuer posted:

Is there a way to get that nice Bandolier in RDR:O, or is it exclusive to the Singleplayer Campaign? I've not seen it in the Catalog and it seems all the shops just reference the Catalog anyway with the exception of the Fence.

Nope, the only way to get bandoleers in Online is either use a costume that has one built in, or do some costume glitch fuckery that removes the outfit bandoleer and puts it on whatever clothes you're wearing. Not sure if those glitches still work, either.

Edit:

drat, Day of Reckoning got nerfed. Third place only gets you 100 bounty XP, I remember it paying out a lot more than that. Didn't help some sour baby shot the bounty heads as folks lassoed them.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Love spending close to 45 minutes clearing the poker table only for the game to poo poo the bed on the last hand