Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Unfortunately due to hamster mills it seems like the general maximum age of hamsters is declining pretty rapidly. I'm lucky if I have one live past 2 nowadays, when 3 or older was relatively common with my earlier hamsters.

And of course there was Junior, my first hamster, a Chinese Dwarf, who outlived 3 separate replacements my parents got "in preparation" for when junior finally kicked the bucket and she eventually made it to 7 years old before carking it. But nowadays they just don't live very long on average I feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Chineseys I don't think have been ruined by mill breeding for the pet market as much as other hams, people don't like the tails. I've heard of a few very long lived Chinese. A breeder friend in England seems to having trouble with diabetes in a lot of lines tho which does shorten life span.

I hope Brexit doesn't ruin my dreams of getting some lovely healthy pedigree hams over the Irish sea one day :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How the gently caress can you hate Chinese Dwarf Hamsters's adorable little prehensile tails?!

When they would crawl along stuff it was hilarious to see it whipping around to grab ahold of stuff to better steady them.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

World is full of hosed up weirdos CI, only explanation. I am with you 100% tho. I love slinky little slenderhams :3:

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
I loved how when I would hold them up, instead of struggling and flailing like other breeds, they just curl their tail around a finger and stare back chilled out. :3:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

If yous use Facebook follow Vectis or Metallica hamsteries for primo Chinesey content. They both raise the most beautiful little snuggle bugs and Vectis in particular has super good blogs for husbandry.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Mistake made tonight. Brought Urchin out for evening loves and did not feed him right away. Let him play in hair. Urchin reminded me he always gets food and then hair time because he bit my ear rather badly. Not enough for a piercing, didn't even break the ski. And right where he had nailed me about two weeks ago when we started this system.

Ear does not hurt but is red. I suck, Urchin. I am sorry.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No blood means he didn't bite you

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

No blood is kisses

Does he comb the tangles out as he plays in your hair or does he create more?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
He preens my hair then self-annoints himself. Freaked me out the first time he did it!

But yeah it was a hard nibble on my ear. He was curious, meat thing amid his playhair.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
As others have said, no blood no foul. But it really is hard to be upset with them when they do bite because they have such adorable little faces.

Picked up a new camera lens today, so of course I had to test it out on the Hams.

Dipper

Poké

Not pictured, Waffle the Russian Dwarf. He is an old man who I believe will be two next month.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they're adorable!

how bad is a hamster's eyesight? Coco likes to sit at the glass of her tank and watch my TV screen, and I wonder if she can actually see anything or if she's just reacting to the flickering light of it. I'm guessing they're probably like, basically blind or extremely nearsighted, but it'd be funny if she was really into watching youtube videos

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Very nice pictures. Lots of light.
Now I kinda want to know what waffle looks like:)

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Beautiful babies!!! :swoon:

Captain Invictus posted:

they're adorable!

how bad is a hamster's eyesight? Coco likes to sit at the glass of her tank and watch my TV screen, and I wonder if she can actually see anything or if she's just reacting to the flickering light of it. I'm guessing they're probably like, basically blind or extremely nearsighted, but it'd be funny if she was really into watching youtube videos

Its straight garbage. I've heard like a foot in front of them? Jin can tell when I'm in the hallway like 6 ft away from the door but she could just be hearing me thump up the stairs

But what's cocos favourite YouTube genre?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's BS too. My boy sits and watches me from across the room.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

teenytinymouse posted:

But what's cocos favourite YouTube genre?
let's plays.

screamer hated let's plays(warning, loud angry hamster):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQBnBwqkDvs

every time Jon from Many A True Nerd spoke, she would go ballistic.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Another thing me and screamer share (on top of small, loud, angry), we could have been good friends. Rest in power bb

All four of my hams will gently caress off back to bed if I watch anything in our room. They prefer I read so they're not subjected to my bullshit taste.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
On the eyesight chat: Rodents are probably very nearsighted, but their sense of hearing more than makes up for it and gives them a good understanding of things going on in their surroundings. Although we can't completely rule out the attention to flashing lights like computer screens. Many of my hams have fixated on computer screens when put on the bed or couch with a laptop running.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

-CHA posted:

On the eyesight chat: Rodents are probably very nearsighted, but their sense of hearing more than makes up for it and gives them a good understanding of things going on in their surroundings. Although we can't completely rule out the attention to flashing lights like computer screens. Many of my hams have fixated on computer screens when put on the bed or couch with a laptop running.

Would scent be a factor too? I'd have thought that even if they can't see more than a blur, the smell and sounds coming from that blur amount to a full profile of "it is the food-giving giant".

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Yeah, they certainly rely on scent since they are constantly sniffing, especially right before they leave their nest and they stick their noses out and sniff around for a few seconds before emerging. I just wonder what their range for detecting smells is. Sometimes I hold a treat right near them and they spend a few seconds sniffing the area before finally finding the treat

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

-CHA posted:

Sometimes I hold a treat right near them and they spend a few seconds sniffing the area before finally finding the treat

I take this as "is this really the best you can do?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

-CHA posted:

I used to have a hamster that knew the theme tune of TOTP and would wake up whenever she heard it. (I'm pretty sure it was still Whole Lotta Love at the time.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they absolutely can at least see a moving shape from a distance, because coco can see and recognize me(as something that wasn't there before, anyways) when I try to hide, stand stone still, and watch her from 5 feet away

I have to like, peek around a corner almost completely obscured so she doesn't notice me

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

teenytinymouse posted:

I take this as "is this really the best you can do?"

I always distribute pumpkin seeds in groups of 3. Waffle is the only one who has caught on to this as he will stand there on his back legs staring at me if I only give him one or two. Apparently he knows how to count and doesn't appreciate being short changed. Pokè dosent have the attention span for such things and Dipper will just sit and eat his first seed before focusing on anything else.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

-CHA posted:

I always distribute pumpkin seeds in groups of 3. Waffle is the only one who has caught on to this as he will stand there on his back legs staring at me if I only give him one or two. Apparently he knows how to count and doesn't appreciate being short changed. Pokè dosent have the attention span for such things and Dipper will just sit and eat his first seed before focusing on anything else.

:kimchi: Waffle a smart baby

Is Dipper short for Chicken Dipper are they all food names?

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

teenytinymouse posted:

:kimchi: Waffle a smart baby

Is Dipper short for Chicken Dipper are they all food names?

Dipper was named after the character from Gravity Falls. After Puff had passed I binged watched the series to take my mind off of losing her. Although I add name tags to the cages and all of the name tags come from food packages. Dipper's was from a bag of corn chips.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
On hamster sight;

Hamsters in particular are on the lower end of the curve for sight for rodents, for example Hamsters actually have almost no depth perception and will walk off a table or your hand to plummet to the ground. Hamsters are also are corpuscular meaning their eyes are adapted to low light, not darkness or full daylight which gives them a disadvantage on sight like 90% of the time. Mice on the other hand can actually see fairly well and will not jump off things as they can see the distance to the ground which is why you can put a bunch of mice on your hand and not worry.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/cDats5O.mp4

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

That's a legit stress dream

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

https://twitter.com/Shannonmcn/status/1191486894678278145?s=19

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So our hamster has lately been a bit ‘shaky’. She stops shaking when I feed her. She loves to be fed and we do it every night. She’s not cold but she lost weight.
Maybe this is old age for her? She also has what we think is a tumor, but she had it for more than a year and it didn’t get bigger.
Any ideas on how to minimize the shaking? Maybe she’s nervous?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

mrfart posted:

So our hamster has lately been a bit ‘shaky’. She stops shaking when I feed her. She loves to be fed and we do it every night. She’s not cold but she lost weight.
Maybe this is old age for her? She also has what we think is a tumor, but she had it for more than a year and it didn’t get bigger.
Any ideas on how to minimize the shaking? Maybe she’s nervous?

Uhhh I doubt its nervousness. It could be old age, she could possibly have had a little stroke? They do sometimes recover okay from a stroke but just age quite quickly afterwards. Could be the tumour is finally getting the better of her?

Either way other than getting her checked out by a decent vet I think getting her weight back up is probably the best way to go. Porridge is my go to. Cheese. Nuts. Bread?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

teenytinymouse posted:

Uhhh I doubt its nervousness. It could be old age, she could possibly have had a little stroke? They do sometimes recover okay from a stroke but just age quite quickly afterwards. Could be the tumour is finally getting the better of her?

Either way other than getting her checked out by a decent vet I think getting her weight back up is probably the best way to go. Porridge is my go to. Cheese. Nuts. Bread?

Thanks for the help.
But our Nina passed on during the night.
I already feared that it was the end, After 4 hamsters I kinda recognize the symptoms.
She didn't move much anymore, felt cold, tried to eat and she drank a lot from the water I dripped on my hand, because she struggled getting to her bottle.

It's emotionally pretty hard each time.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Wee baby :( so sorry mrfart. Run free and chew table legs and cashmere jumpers in heaven Nina :love:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
thanks.

She was happiest when you fed her and she would just sit on your hand calmly eating.
She never 'hamstered' like our previous hamsters, I mean, she never collected massive amounts of food in her cheeks to go hide it somewhere.
Instead she waited for you to give her stuff (even if there was a bowl of the same food next to her).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
somewhat relevant to the thread

https://twitter.com/GPigParkour/status/1192522926613884928

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Its like Earthworm Jim but with guineas. I love it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

This is Nepita. Up until now we had hamsters from people who didn’t want them anymore or were neglected. But now we decided to get a young ham from a responsible owner. It’s a guy who holds every baby ham in his hands so they get used to people. I loved all our hamsters but the difference is quite amazing. She is so relax and curious. I wish all hams were treated like this from birth. gently caress the mills.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

mrfart posted:

This is Nepita. Up until now we had hamsters from people who didn’t want them anymore or were neglected. But now we decided to get a young ham from a responsible owner. It’s a guy who holds every baby ham in his hands so they get used to people. I loved all our hamsters but the difference is quite amazing. She is so relax and curious. I wish all hams were treated like this from birth. gently caress the mills.

That's why you foster a pregnant one, wait for babies and socialize like mad yourself. And then foster fail the babies (and the mom if you are us).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I will never adopt out any future accidentally-pregnant-hamster babies I get again, I gave one to a coworker I thought was responsible but their lovely kid killed it within a few months.