Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

On a somewhat unrelated note, if I plan to spatchcock a wet-brined turkey, do I cut it before or after it goes in the brine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Good lord, we are overthinking this uncle smoked turkey thing.

Smoke it in Texas. And then board the airplane while declaring it an emotional support animal.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Colostomy Bag posted:

Smoke it in Texas. And then board the airplane while declaring it an emotional support animal.

Idiot. Place the smoker in the overhead luggage and turn it on, plugged into an A/C power port/inverter.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

jonathan posted:

Idiot. Place the smoker in the overhead luggage and turn it on, plugged into an A/C power port/inverter.

what a waste. put your wood and the bird in one of the engines with a water pan and smoke it during the flight, you're welcome

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Colostomy Bag posted:

Didn’t Hank Hill try this once?

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

Smoke the bird in Texas, vacuum seal the meat, and pack it in your carry-on, perhaps?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

I. M. Gei posted:

On a somewhat unrelated note, if I plan to spatchcock a wet-brined turkey, do I cut it before or after it goes in the brine?

It doesn't really matter IMHO. I would probably do it before, just to make things easier to handle.

Also, not to be contrary again, but have you considered dry brining? Now that I dry brine I'll never wet brine a whole bird again. No mess, no fuss, much much better skin. I still wet brine chops and chicken breast before I grill them, but that's a quick brine in a much more manageable bowl.

Finally, the post about using a smoked turkey as an ESA made me chortle. That's a Bob's Burgers episode idea for sure, except Bob would really get attached to the turkey and start talking to it.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Canuckistan posted:

Also, not to be contrary again, but have you considered dry brining? Now that I dry brine I'll never wet brine a whole bird again. No mess, no fuss, much much better skin. I still wet brine chops and chicken breast before I grill them, but that's a quick brine in a much more manageable bowl.

I'm switching to dry brine this year and have a few questions if you don't mind–

1. I'm planning on using a rub of salt + sugar (3:1 ratio), some herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage) and maybe some orange and/or lemon zest. Anything wrong with this or any suggestions?
2. I've read you should do the brine anywhere from 1-3 days in the fridge. What have you tried and do you suggest?
3. After the brine, there's no need to rinse the rub, right?
4. Is there any point in injecting a dry-brined bird with say butter and broth?

I'm planning on spatchcocking before the dry brine and then smoking it @ 325F the morning of Thanksgiving.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Canuckistan posted:

It doesn't really matter IMHO. I would probably do it before, just to make things easier to handle.

Finally, the post about using a smoked turkey as an ESA made me chortle. That's a Bob's Burgers episode idea for sure, except Bob would really get attached to the turkey and start talking to it.

I.M.G. is the official GWS goon in the well

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Random Hero posted:

I'm switching to dry brine this year and have a few questions if you don't mind–

1. I'm planning on using a rub of salt + sugar (3:1 ratio), some herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage) and maybe some orange and/or lemon zest. Anything wrong with this or any suggestions?
2. I've read you should do the brine anywhere from 1-3 days in the fridge. What have you tried and do you suggest?
3. After the brine, there's no need to rinse the rub, right?
4. Is there any point in injecting a dry-brined bird with say butter and broth?

I'm planning on spatchcocking before the dry brine and then smoking it @ 325F the morning of Thanksgiving.

I would not put sugar in the brine itself- I just use a half cup diamond crystal kosher salt and two tablespoons of baking powder. Apply that generously all over and let it sit in the fridge uncovered for a day. If you want to go longer, you can- You just need to cover the turkey loosely with plastic wrap or cheesecloth when you put it in the fridge.

You don't rinse it or anything after taking it out of the fridge. The salt should mostly be absorbed by then, or left in place to season the skin itself.

I think injecting is a waste of time.
I usually do this recipe for my turkey, although I've tried it a ton of different ways in the past (Deep fried, cajun, traditional, etc)
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/11/spice-rubbed-butterflied-smoked-turkey-food-lab-recipe.html

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Colostomy Bag posted:

xdice posted:

Smoke the bird in Texas, vacuum seal the meat, and pack it in your carry-on, perhaps?

Seriouspost: Smoking the bird at home isn’t a half-bad idea. My only concern is that it wouldn’t be quite as good as freshly-smoked, but I’d LOVE to know any and all ways around that.

I’m also wondering how the hell I’m gonna get it there. My dad doesn’t like the idea of taking a cooked turkey on a plane. Maybe I could ship it?

Canuckistan posted:

I prefer wet-brining. I have this loving amazing turkey brine recipe that I like to play with every year, but some of the key ingredients are liquid.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 15, 2019

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Gwaihir posted:

I would not put sugar in the brine itself- I just use a half cup diamond crystal kosher salt and two tablespoons of baking powder. Apply that generously all over and let it sit in the fridge uncovered for a day. If you want to go longer, you can- You just need to cover the turkey loosely with plastic wrap or cheesecloth when you put it in the fridge.

You don't rinse it or anything after taking it out of the fridge. The salt should mostly be absorbed by then, or left in place to season the skin itself.

I think injecting is a waste of time.
I usually do this recipe for my turkey, although I've tried it a ton of different ways in the past (Deep fried, cajun, traditional, etc)
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/11/spice-rubbed-butterflied-smoked-turkey-food-lab-recipe.html

Thanks. That recipe actually has a 1:1 ratio of kosher salt to light brown sugar in the rub/brine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad doesn’t like the idea of taking a cooked turkey on a plane.

So? Your dad doesn’t have to, because he didn’t sign up for National Lampoon’s Smoking Thanksgiving. You can put it in your own luggage.

There was a goon who did something similar a year or two back in either this thread or the SV one, and it turned out fine.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
People take coolers on planes all the time. I live in a seafood town and they sell travel coolers for lobsters in the airport. For giggles you can put LIVE HUMAN ORGANS on the cooler.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

So? Your dad doesn’t have to, because he didn’t sign up for National Lampoon’s Smoking Thanksgiving. You can put it in your own luggage.

There was a goon who did something similar a year or two back in either this thread or the SV one, and it turned out fine.

1. I. M. Gei can only do what his dad allows.
2. I. M. Gei will do the exact opposite of the advice this thread gives him.

Reference: Not smoking a pork butt because his father probably thought it really was an animal butt even though this thread unanimously told him to just buy the $7 pork butt himself.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Subjunctive posted:

National Lampoon’s Smoking Thanksgiving.

lmao.

Hopefully bring along real ketchup. Nothing but the best.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

atothesquiz posted:

Reference: Not smoking a pork butt because his father probably thought it really was an animal butt even though this thread unanimously told him to just buy the $7 pork butt himself.

The gently caress is this?

You don’t know me bitch

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

I. M. Gei posted:

The gently caress is this?

You don’t know me bitch

And yet it is remarkably spot on.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ada shatan posted:

And yet it is remarkably spot on.

I don’t care, it’s still loving weird and creepy. GWS isn’t Helldump.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yes but you are absolutely the goon in the well

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t care, it’s still loving weird and creepy. GWS isn’t Helldump.

You’ve been registered here for 14 years, you should know by now that you aren’t exempt from criticism just because you’re not reading helldump

E: it’s also not weird and creepy just like knowing about groverhaus isn’t weird and creepy

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Or, it's all weird and creepy. Don't let anything surprise you.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Also you posted about your dad and all that crap in this thread

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

McSpankWich posted:

Also you posted about your dad and all that crap in this thread

Right, it’s not like the guy stalked him through multiple subs. Just read this individual thread.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

jesus loving christ

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

jesus loving christ

It isn't our fault you post in here.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Just a gentle reminder that our dead gay forums have an ignore list.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Does anyone have any recommendations for stabilizing overnight temps on a WSM? The temp continually creeps up during the night, I'm guessing through some combination of more coals getting lit, the surface of the meat heating up and the water pan boiling off. 225 at 10pm always turns into the pain in the rear end alarm waking us up when it hits 260 at 2am. I recently started lighting a few coals in the center of the ring with a blowtorch instead of a chimney starter, which might have something to do with it; maybe I'm not lighting enough of them initially?

Also just to chip in on National Lampoons Thanksgiving: IM Gei fwiw this is a valuable lesson that I had to learn too. Smoking stuff can be a ton of work all on its own, and doing "away" smokes can be ten times as difficult logistically unless you yourself are set up for that specific thing (e.g. a trailer pit) and have done it before. It's not like bringing a bag of charcoal and some hotdogs to the park and firing up one of the lovely iron grills. Doesn't sound like this is a mistake you'll make again, and I wish you the best of luck. On the bright side, smoking turkey is super easy--you don't need to cautiously "maintain" temps, just spatchcock it and blast the absolute poo poo out of it at like 350 for three or four hours. A Brinkmann from 1998 is gonna suck but nothing's lovely enough to stop fire from being hot.

Also, just a little extra free advice: be wary of mesquite wood, it's considered one of the go-to ones for poultry but it's easily twice as potent as fruit woods, more like oak. A little goes a long way.

Stubear St. Pierre fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 17, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ getting a brinkman 1998 to 350 is going to be a task...

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

set it on fire

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I've discovered the secret to traveling and smoking a turkey.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
4-6 hours wow. I wonder if it's dry

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

El Jebus posted:

I've discovered the secret to traveling and smoking a turkey.

Or you could buy a Greenberg like everyone else in America.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I. M. Gei posted:

Or you could buy a Greenberg like everyone else in America.

You the one who's dad got a BGE a year or two back?

I'm guessing I missed a name change here.

Moey fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 18, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

atothesquiz posted:

Hi, how about we don't do this.

He's got a point. This isn't helldump. If you're going to be lovely to people, at least be funny about it.

Moving on.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wait what? I thought helldumping was bringing in info from other forums/threads and involving third parties.

atothesquiz repeats stuff I M Gei has frequently said himself in this same thread, and that's helldumping?

Meanwhile I M Gei goes into a different thread to bring drama there and calls atothesquiz a piece of poo poo, and that's okay?

e: lol apparently he edited it out after 2 hours so you wouldn't see it

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It isn't our fault you post in here.

Are you gonna take this poo poo, I. M. Gei???

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Masterbuilt MB20076718 Bluetooth Electric Smoker 240G Digital, Black with SS Door https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078483MRB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_voO0DbZYQZVMF

MES 40” gen 2.5 for $320 on amazon now.

This seems to be about the lowest price it’s been and it looks like it’s the most recommend MES smoker to go with based on reading some other forums.

I’m thinking of picking this up with the AMAZEN add-on. Thoughts?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

nwin posted:

Masterbuilt MB20076718 Bluetooth Electric Smoker 240G Digital, Black with SS Door https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078483MRB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_voO0DbZYQZVMF

This seems to be about the lowest price it’s been and it looks like it’s the most recommend MES smoker to go with based on reading some other forums.

This tempts me into replacing my 30" with a burned out element.

On the downside, Masterbuilt hasn't replied to me since the replacement part got lost in transit, so there is that.
The window does nothing though.

Advantage: this one has the drip tray on the front instead of a hanger off the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

nwin posted:

I have a similar smoker (MES bluetooth 30") but have never been able to get the bluetooth to work. Maybe it's better now but it might be a problem. Got it on clearance at walmart 2 years ago for $140 fwiw.