Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's a little bit of recurring crucifixion imagery, also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I've solved the problem of no-one else building roads. I've built them all.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

it can be annoying getting the terminal to recognize cargo in the truck but i think that as long as the actual cargo in the truck is sitting on the metal grate then you are good. If you listen to the PA it also tells you Cargo Verified when its in range of the terminal

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

There's a little bit of recurring crucifixion imagery, also

When you get THAT ICON on your map and you go to THAT PLACE my heart started racing in fears that this was going to turn into a loving Evangelion crossover or some poo poo

Modest Mao posted:

Also this game seems pretty out there to westerners but I think most Japanese stuff that seems "creative" or "surreal" is just derivative of other Japanese stuff. A lot like Dark Souls owes a lot to beserk etc. Mario seems to have its own world but as a japanese kid you'll know what a tanuki is etc.

This game is filled with death symbolism. In asian culture you don't go "up" to heaven, you head "west" to heaven. Sam has Hari Kiri scars on his belly. A lot of his ideas and references are even more explicit.

You could even be more reaching and say everyone lives in tombs and Sam has to bring them offerings, without the mules the above world is absent human life, they are all in the underworld.

He's creative in how well he combines things and how believable he makes them, how much he makes them his own.

my mind just spit open like a loving onion

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

The terminals count vehicles as part of your inventory based on your distance from that vehicle. It doesn't matter how close the vehicle is to the terminal.

So, get you truck as close to the terminal as you can, and then try and position Sam as close to the truck as you can while still being able to access the terminal. You can tell if you're close enough to your truck when you can affect it's inventory from the personal inventory manager.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
how to make vehicle cargo recognizable every time:

for preppers, drive up to the entrance until you get the NO VEHICLES hologram popup

for distro centers, there's a helpfully marked area in front of the terminal itself, just park between the green brackets

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 18, 2019

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

when you get to the west coast and the tar belt before edge knot city

I was so disappointed that you couldn't use the cross as a jump to evil kinevil a reverse trike into the tar to be taken to the other side. I was so convinced that I was going to trigger the way over in an epic style and I just crashed into the tar and slowly sank to my death. Being grabbed by a BT brings up tar which then drags you places so I thought going into the tar would do the same thing...

edit: you can also deliver materials for road construction direct from the truck if you drive it up onto the steps

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Qmass posted:

edit: you can also deliver materials for road construction direct from the truck if you drive it up onto the steps

Park it "behind" the popup terminal (i.e. the side where the road will be) and then access the terminal from that side. It swivels around to follow you so you can just climb up on the platform and do it with your back to the truck.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As long as the truck is close enough to physically be touching the paver you're good.

Chapter 8 Lmao Heartman's lab is a loving truck graveyard

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

that's probably the underlying symbolism but the way more explicit one is that they're c-section scars

That's not where the uterus is, a c section scar is a singly horizontal one well below the belly button.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the concept of the west being associated with death isn't even just japanese. It's commonly associated in almost every culture because the sun sets there. It's present in American culture to the point that "they caught the last train to the [west] coast" is the closing line of the closing verse in American Pie.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’ve only been skimming the thread because spoilers so I don’t know if anyone has worked out the online mechanics, but I’m pretty sure it updates and/or reinstances you when you make deliveries, at least.

I know this because I walked into the Cosplayer’s delivery zone like I normally would, and when I came back out, piled high with new cargo, some jerk had crammed a massive green truck in the only easy way out.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

precision posted:

Chapter 8: Trying to read the titles on Heartman's DVD shelf, one of them is "Not Another Beach Movie" lol

Was genuinely surprised he didn't take the opportunity to completely nerd out there and use real stuff.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

5er posted:

The number one thing I want to get rid of, is the jarring, annoying pause when you get sorta near BT's, then the really annoying odradek spinup scene when you are definitely close to BT's. It really isn't necessary to see it EVERY time.

I'm guessing it's secretly a loading screen, maybe the BT particles take up too much uh... memory or something

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Odradek as described by Kafka in his story "The cares of a family man"

pretty sure Mama is holding this exact thing in all of her scenes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Modest Mao posted:

Also this game seems pretty out there to westerners but I think most Japanese stuff that seems "creative" or "surreal" is just derivative of other Japanese stuff. A lot like Dark Souls owes a lot to beserk etc. Mario seems to have its own world but as a japanese kid you'll know what a tanuki is etc.

This game is filled with death symbolism. In asian culture you don't go "up" to heaven, you head "west" to heaven. Sam has Hari Kiri scars on his belly. A lot of his ideas and references are even more explicit.

You could even be more reaching and say everyone lives in tombs and Sam has to bring them offerings, without the mules the above world is absent human life, they are all in the underworld.

He's creative in how well he combines things and how believable he makes them, how much he makes them his own.

If you have more of this please post, it’s fascinating

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hmm I guess there’s no east coast pavers in the post game?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man that first quest heartman gives you is rough.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

5er posted:

The number one thing I want to get rid of, is the jarring, annoying pause when you get sorta near BT's, then the really annoying odradek spinup scene when you are definitely close to BT's. It really isn't necessary to see it EVERY time.

Removing that and every repeating cutscene when you complete orders, etc would probably cut the game's overall time down by 20%.

Skipping them manually is a chore but i suspect they're masking a poo poo load of load times for Kojimas fancy new game engine.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What’s the point of cuffing to the bed again?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Triarii posted:

I feel like I'd need to watch all those ending cutscenes again because I may have missed things and I'm kind of hazy on the details...

Endgame lore talk:

I am not positive that anything really differentiates this from any other Last Stranding. The explosion is just how it is visualized in the Beach: spreading out to (merging with?) all other beaches and annihilating life in the "real world".

Might be worth noting: death strandings are kicked off by the blurring of life and death and the subsequent emergence of BTs; in this case, Sam's repatriation. Last strandings are the actual extinction events.

Basically, my understanding of EEs is that a near-death experience at the right time drops a normal ol' living being in the Master Beach and they have no alternative to triggering an extinction (besides spending eternity there). So it's pretty understandable when, after causing a Death Stranding by repatriating Sam (penance for Bridget's "ha" killing Cliff and foetal Sam), she would want to just pull the trigger outright. Cue the Chiral network and other DOOMs, all to bring about the extinction faster. But THEN cue more internal conflicts on Bridget's part once she again admires Sam's perseverance and humanity's shared purpose in constructing it, and you have her backing out at the last moment, her compassion trumping her purpose.

I'd be curious to hear other interpretations.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 18, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So if the west coast is not connected at the beginning of the game, how is red dress able to FaceTime you? I thought blackmask said the network only barely supports voice data.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 18, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Shaocaholica posted:

So if the west coast is not connected at the beginning of the game, how is red dress able to FaceTime you? I thought blackmask said the network only barely supports voice data.

The short nonspoiler answer is she has better/more DOOMS

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 18, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did anyone ever figure out what the gently caress DOOMS stands for. I'm sure I missed it or something

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't trust these floating carriers, they seem rickety as poo poo and I just know they're gonna dump all my cargo in the water.

My truck got eaten by timefall though :smith:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Did anyone ever figure out what the gently caress DOOMS stands for. I'm sure I missed it or something
Maybe its in an interview that I haven't unlocked yet, but I don't remember seeing anything. And in the Japanese version its written with a super vague phrase like "person of ability" (still read as DOOMS though)

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't trust these floating carriers, they seem rickety as poo poo and I just know they're gonna dump all my cargo in the water.

My truck got eaten by timefall though :smith:

The carriers are if anything too safe, usually if you do something dumb the rope pops off leaving the carriers safe while you fall into the ravine.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 18, 2019

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

DaveKap posted:

Hey here's an end-game lore question for the eagle eyes/ears. At some point in the game, it's revealed that Sam hid his wife's dead body, causing her to necrotize and voidout in the middle of Manhattan. Then, in the final cutscenes, Die-Hardman and Cliff talk about "avoiding another Manhattan incident." Are there 2 Manhattan incidents since Sam is the original BB? Is the story about Sam's wife fake? This is confusing or I mis-heard something somewhere.

Nah, the original Manhattan incident is the first voidout, which IIRC is described in an interview as a consequence of the first BB experiments. There, Deadman says that's the cause of the Death Stranding, but I think that's overruled by Amelie's explanation later. I don't think Sam is the first BB, unless I missed something? Also, one of the BB/Mads scene has him coming in from normal-rear end rain with an umbrella so the full-on Death Stranding definitely hadn't happened yet.

Either way it's definitely a nuclear metaphor.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 18, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Modest Mao posted:

Odradek as described by Kafka in his story "The cares of a family man"

pretty sure Mama is holding this exact thing in all of her scenes

that's almost certainly what it is and the usage of the term in-game is almost certainly intentional:

"In vain I ask myself, what will happen to him. Can he die? Everything that dies has once had a sort of aim, a sort of activity, which has worn it out; this is not the case of Odradek. Will he therefore one day tumble down the stairs before the feet of my children and my children's children, trailing a line of thread after him? It's clear he does nobody any harm; but the notion that he might even outlive me is almost painful to me."

an undying aimless thing trailing a thread you say

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the floating carriers are almost too good, they'll follow you down or up sheer cliff faces without any damage at all

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I had a carrier get stuck between two rocks, had to unload it, put it into my inventory and redeploy.

Never again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Taintrunner posted:

iirc it's never explained what it's an acronym for, but seeing as the effects are all over the place but all deal with dead poo poo I'm guessing the D stands for dead/death and S is Syndrome.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

FAUXTON posted:

that's almost certainly what it is and the usage of the term in-game is almost certainly intentional:

"In vain I ask myself, what will happen to him. Can he die? Everything that dies has once had a sort of aim, a sort of activity, which has worn it out; this is not the case of Odradek. Will he therefore one day tumble down the stairs before the feet of my children and my children's children, trailing a line of thread after him? It's clear he does nobody any harm; but the notion that he might even outlive me is almost painful to me."

Its an explicit reference Heartman has a log about it.
Linked for possible spoilers idk :https://i.imgur.com/ncXmGzB.png

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 18, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Yun posted:

I had a carrier get stuck between two rocks, had to unload it, put it into my inventory and redeploy.

Never again.

Try getting a fully-laden truck irretrievably stuck atop a rock, wheels all off the ground.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Parked my truck beneath the elder’s cliff and took a heavy delivery from him. Figured I’d load up the truck I found up there, and drive it off the cliff back to my own (which had other cargo in it).

The truck exploded upon impact, but I survived and all my cargo was literally unharmed, so I guess my plan worked perfectly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try getting a fully-laden truck irretrievably stuck atop a rock, wheels all off the ground.

You can make the trucks jump though!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

We're going to be unpacking this game for a decade aren't we

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not when your axles are both off the ground.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

f#a# posted:

Nah, the original Manhattan incident is the first voidout, which IIRC is described in an interview as a consequence of the first BB experiments. There, Deadman says that's the cause of the Death Stranding, but I think that's overruled by Amelie's explanation later. I don't think Sam is the first BB, unless I missed something? Also, one of the BB/Mads scene has him coming in from normal-rear end rain with an umbrella so the full-on Death Stranding definitely hadn't happened yet.

Either way it's definitely a nuclear metaphor.

(endgame)

I'm definitely fuzzy on the early days of the stranding, but I thought the BBs were being worked on as a response to the stranding, to help people deal with it (or at least that was the public cover story) so it would have to have been well underway by the time Sam was born. And yeah, Sam wasn't the first BB, but he was going to be the first one used to start the chiral network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh trust me they can get irrevocably stuck on rocks

It's one of the few things that's made me reload because drat it I really need those 6000 ceramics